• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl: This **** just got real

Gerbil

Smash Champion
@Prof. X - Yeah I don't know why the mod closed it, since it really would be greatly aprreciated in the South. But meh, what do I know? I'm only a 2 year veteran tournament director that really knows his stuff right? Among the rest of the southern community that really knows their stuff. lol.

@Betaz - Air parrying is referring to when you airdodge right as an attack hits you in the air, and your character turns the attack back onto the enemy. I don't know how to describe it because I've only seen it once, but Wes will be experimenting with it tomorrow. (It's about 1 AM in England right now)

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I'm sorry but you're just............ ignorant. This is THE Wes of the South. THE guy that created the ENTIRE GA tournament scene. THE guy that is perhaps one of the MOST INTELLEGENT SWF MEMEBRS EVER.

Wes could crap a full load of Melee history back onto SWF, and SWF would break from it all. This guy knows EXACTLY WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT.

Do you have the game? If no, then be quiet. If so, then post your own opinios about it.
That's great, too bad I don't play in tournaments, but instead with my friends?

Not to mention not all of this was important. I didn't need to know that he had to take a crap before he could explain brawl to us, nor did I need to read 10 lines for a little bit of information.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
Very interesting, what he said about Olimar kind of co-signed the video that guy made explaining his moveset and possible tactics. It's interesting getting different people's perspectives and how they are approaching Brawl.

And if it's too long to read for you, piss off out of the thread.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
That's great, too bad I don't play in tournaments, but instead with my friends?

Not to mention not all of this was important. I didn't need to know that he had to take a crap before he could explain brawl to us, nor did I need to read 10 lines for a little bit of information.
As I stated before this was supposed to be a thread for the South, where that actually would have made everyone who knows Wes, laugh. So I apologize for not deleting that specific portion, but the thread was made for a target audience in mind. I just got lazy and didn't feel like modifying it anymore.

Also. You're on a competitive board. So please do keep in mind that the tournament director threads (those of us with names in blue), are more than likely to focus on a tournament viewpoint/standing. No offense, casuals are fun and all, but in the end it's going to come down to tournaments for most of us again.

I know I might be coming off as an ******* (I'm not, ask anyone in the south), but I'm kinda upset that I was forced to move this thread over here....

REDFIELD246

Smash Apprentice

(At a loss for words)

Ok...

*AHUM*

All of you LOL TOO LONG DIDNT RED people..

DIE IN A FIRE..

This **** got me more excited for brawl than any vid could have made me, read it or SHUT THE F*CK UP about: Wah, cant Wdash, Wah cant Lcancel, WAAAAAAHH I CANT COMBO..

Really, I HATE people not reading a post and then acting all high and mighty.
You mean like you're doing right now?

I read some of it, it's definitely gotten me very excited for Brawl.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
I read all of it. Sounds amazing. It also seems like Sakurai did a LOT more than trolls thought he did. I appreciate everything you brought to the table today.

I would like to say thank you very much.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
@Betaz - Air parrying is referring to when you airdodge right as an attack hits you in the air, and your character turns the attack back onto the enemy. I don't know how to describe it because I've only seen it once, but Wes will be experimenting with it tomorrow. (It's about 1 AM in England right now)
O_O This actually exists? Wow. All this time I thought it was just a mistranslated from Famitsu that made people think you could air parry, since I hadn't heard even a peep about it elsewhere.

Also, great thread man! Definitely picked me up since I've been feeling kind of down about Brawl. Read this ****, people.

Revven

FrankerZ
Love it. Love every single piece of information that was told.

He also mentioned how good Diddy's bananas are! YES! I knew it the minute I saw them used in that one Diddy VS. Snake video where Diddy freakin' ***** Snake with the use of his bananas in combos.

Bananagames is what it's going to be called as, it'll be all mine!

I'd like a more in-depth look at Diddy though if he can, I cannot wait for the Luigi videos though, it sounds all very exciting!

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
Cross the Walls (7:06:09 PM): if you want to play her in multiple matches
Cross the Walls (7:06:11 PM): you must
Cross the Walls (7:06:15 PM): deselect samus
Cross the Walls (7:06:25 PM): and select her again holding r again
Cross the Walls (7:06:28 PM): otherise you will get samus
GerbilMortar (7:06:34 PM): you just made Alpha's day lol
Cross the Walls (7:06:38 PM): im not sure if you have to select another character in between
Cross the Walls (7:06:46 PM): you might, i'll check tomorrow
Cross the Walls (7:06:50 PM): i thought that was kinda weird
Cross the Walls (7:06:54 PM): same goes for sheik
Cross the Walls (7:06:58 PM): as for sheik and zelda
this is not true. i have played the game and i can 100% tell you this is not true (we messed around with this mechanic).

to select zelda or shiek, you simply click on the one you want to play as. if you look closely, youll notice that it will pull them in front of the other. if you click on the one that is in front, you change colors.

as for ZSS, you have to hold down R when you go from the character select to the stage select. you can see if you did it right in the top left hand corner of the screen where it shows the little face icons for what characters are playing.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
this is not true. i have played the game and i can 100% tell you this is not true (we messed around with this mechanic).

to select zelda or shiek, you simply click on the one you want to play as. if you look closely, youll notice that it will pull them in front of the other. if you click on the one that is in front, you change colors.

as for ZSS, you have to hold down R when you go from the character select to the stage select. you can see if you did it right in the top left hand corner of the screen where it shows the little face icons for what characters are playing.
Don't we already know that? I thought he was saying you have to go back to the character select screen to select them again. If thats what your referring to then I apologize, but are you sure?

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
As I stated before this was supposed to be a thread for the South, where that actually would have made everyone who knows Wes, laugh. So I apologize for not deleting that specific portion, but the thread was made for a target audience in mind. I just got lazy and didn't feel like modifying it anymore.

Also. You're on a competitive board. So please do keep in mind that the tournament director threads (those of us with names in blue), are more than likely to focus on a tournament viewpoint/standing. No offense, casuals are fun and all, but in the end it's going to come down to tournaments for most of us again.

I know I might be coming off as an ******* (I'm not, ask anyone in the south), but I'm kinda upset that I was forced to move this thread over here....
I've been on here for a half a month or so, and have learned that names in blue are tournament directors.

I was going to say "Well yea but this isn't the tournament section" until I saw that what I bolded.

I didn't mean to come as mean, as I usually don't unless if I consider a thread pointless, or I just feel like doing so (which was the case). Sorry for my bad attitude.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
sounds good. basically we all need to slow down and get our fingers to stop working so hard.

glad to see that azen and wes love the game...kinda reassures me

Pengie

Smash Lord
More people should read this. Maybe it will stop some of the complaining about Brawl's depth.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Whoever locked this in Atlantic South sucks. All I've been hearing is how Myztek, Chad, Iori, and IHSB don't think much of the game, and I've already figured out that Melee and Brawl will not play the same. This confirmed my beliefs. Thanks Gerbil. Hopefully, I'll get to play Saturday. I have very high expectations for this game, and according to Wes, it sounds like they're going to be met.

If you've seen Mookie's Lucario thread, you can tell he's really hyped too. Still, I'm hoping this game doesn't cause a schism in the competitive community.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
@Hero - It's all good, it just really was intended to go in a tournament section and not the general discussion section lol.

@Silint - He was referring that if you wished to continue to play games as ZSS, you had to go back and redo the hold R thing. he also stated that he wasn't 100% sure on how the whoel thing worked, but he'll figure it out tomorrow. For the Zelda Sheik thing, it was in reference to also having to go back and reselect Sheik if he wanted to use her in multiple matches.

@Penguins - I just found out (like a minute ago lol) that it was indeed a mistranslation. Though he's still gonna be on the lookout just in case. That was my bad on that one, cause I was the one who asked the question about it lol.

@Those who enjoyed the info - you're quite welcome lol. Thank Wes, not me. (Wes on SWF = Our Savior Marth)

Burumage

Smash Cadet
about the having to push the shield button all the way...I think this is because light shield was taken out of the game.

There no need to modify your controller for this, just move shield to a different button. ^^

datman6699

Smash Journeyman
i just want to say, to all the *******es who can't read.

****ing stop crying. lol. there was soooo much useful info in there. idiots

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Yeah buddy, truly unique characters are for the win. I mean, just look at the cast. They're not meant to all be played the same way.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
EXCELLENT stuff, Gerbil. THANK YOU! =)

this is the kind of mindset i've been looking for when approaching Brawl, but sadly it's hard to find on the boards right now with people having panic attacks in the face of change.`

love the info, loving brawl the more i see/hear of it.

my only complaint? the roster is so **** amazing i want to main, like, half of the characters on it. ;)

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
Don't we already know that? I thought he was saying you have to go back to the character select screen to select them again. If thats what your referring to then I apologize, but are you sure?
thats not how i read what was being said....butttttttttt vvvvvvv

@Silint - He was referring that if you wished to continue to play games as ZSS, you had to go back and redo the hold R thing. he also stated that he wasn't 100% sure on how the whoel thing worked, but he'll figure it out tomorrow. For the Zelda Sheik thing, it was in reference to also having to go back and reselect Sheik if he wanted to use her in multiple matches.
then i slightly misunderstood but i can go ahead and tell you how it works with mutliple matches =]

you dont have to deselect and reselect samus. just hold down R when someone presses start(to go to stage select) and your golden. if you dont want to play as samus, dont hold down R. you dont do it when you pick the character, you do it when you press start to move to the stage select screen.

as for shiek, as long as you dont deselect the character, you should stay with shiek selected in front of zelda.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Encourage him from the boards to put up video(s) of this asap, please. I'm sure its not the easiest thing to do, but would hopefully help the community get past the state its in currently. For the most part the open minded approach and the brawl is a new separate good game argument have only been words. Hopefully evidence of comboing, lower % kills, and overall deep game play will be able to stop the incredibly repetitive arguing going on in almost every thread. Its a lot to ask for, evidence to silence the critics, but from the conversation it sounds like hes capable, and would do more good for the community at this point than most of us may ever do for it. He'll be more of a legend if he can give us that in a few days instead of a sick combo video in a few weeks.

-True

J18

Smash Journeyman
ok this is really off topic but that atlanta falcon II video mentioned by gerbil earlier: holy hell

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
wow-.... very very nice read!!!!

this game seems to have a lo of potential-

One thing he said is true... in the vids you can clearly feel that players are not accustomed to the new physics as they just miss to much attacks and hit the air and to crazy things like that. With enough time and practice...we will see players landing more than 2 attacks in a row... like he said himself with his luigi.....

Im very interested to seee how we can adapt to this game.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
This confirms my suspicion about Brawl then. I always knew that it would be more character-based and less universal-tech oriented! This is great to hear.

However, he's not totally right about Zelda's smash attacks. They can still be DI'd.

GAwes

Hidden Boss

yeah you are probably right, i was just pretty much saying that you cant just do it like in melee, sorry, i was investing my time in figuring out how to build the metagame for a new competitive scene, glad you were all on top of figuring out what buttons to hold on select screens!!! your help is appreciated

-wes

p.s. love you david & daniel

Top Bottom