• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl: This **** just got real

Prevail

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for posting this Gerbil.

There's a lot of good information in there =)

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info! Glad to see olimar and lucas have lots of potential. My friend mains luigi so he'll be happy to see this too.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
To those complaining tl;dr: stfu. Seriously. If you won't take the time to read an insane ammount of information, you are not contributing to the thread.

If I highlighted the most important parts of the convo, I'd be highlighting the entire convo. THE ENTIRE CONVERSATION (except for the little beginning) IS BRAWL INFORMATION. READ IT SLOWLY IF YOU HAVE TO!
IMs are absolutely not a proper medium for organizing thoughts. Content is important, but if you took away anything from freshman lit in high school, it should be that organization is also important.
I cannot
Read anything
when it's all divided up
by unnecessary breaks.
You are not a poet.
Nor are you writing poetry.
So please,
pretty please,
try to reorganize what you're saying.

Wes has some very important things to say about the game, and every smasher who doubts Brawl's awesomeness should read it, and that's just what I read before my eyes got tired. I'd love to read what he has to say in its entirety, but I'm not going to if I can't make heads or tails of it. You have the content, now organize it for pete's sake.

Luigi player

Smash Master
wow, nice information, thanks :D

The tornado thing about Luigi seems really interesting and funny... I can't wait to try it out XD

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I read everything and i got to say that is very reasuring it\'s good to hear that this is a different game i cant wait to play it thank you for posting that answered a lot of my question i would like to see what else they have to say on the other characters. I liked what they had to say about the ones they did talk about a lot of great info thanks again.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Great info:

I can't believe peoples attention spans have diminished so greatly that they can't sit down and read something for eight minutes.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
IMs are absolutely not a proper medium for organizing thoughts. Content is important, but if you took away anything from freshman lit in high school, it should be that organization is also important.
I cannot
Read anything
when it's all divided up
by unnecessary breaks.
You are not a poet.
So please,
pretty please,

Wes has some very important things to say about the game, and every smasher who doubts Brawl's awesomeness should read it, and that's just what I read before my eyes got tired. I'd love to read what he has to say in its entirety, but I'm not going to if I can't make heads or tails of it. You have the content, now organize it for pete's sake.

Disagree completely to be honest. When someone wants to present an IM conversation they should do just that. Once reformatted it just looks like someone's trying to dictate something to you, and loses the feeling of sincerity that a direct copypaste provides.

Also, I don't understand how your eyes can get tired purely from a format. If you can't understand that conversation despite how tame it is in internet speak... Welcome to the internet.

1-up

Smash Journeyman
this thread is kinda pointless.. your just posting the opinion of one person who isnt anymore credible those who say the game is bad. also how long has he been playing? ive been playing since saturday but if i talked about how bad the game is you wouldnt post my convo.

Abomb9614

Smash Rookie
hey gerbil thanks alot for all that info. nice refreshing read. got sick of all the negative stuff here in the boards.

Mr_Smiley

Smash Rookie
Real **** indeed

For those of you too lazy to read: The info in a nutshell: Brawl will keep you up until the wee hours of the morning. Thanks for the info Gerbil, I'm going to enjoy learning to use multiple characters and plot strategies *rubs hands mischieviously*.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
this thread is kinda pointless.. your just posting the opinion of one person who isnt anymore credible those who say the game is bad. also how long has he been playing? ive been playing since saturday but if i talked about how bad the game is you wouldnt post my convo.
You are also 1-up and not GAWes. >_>

I think there was alot of threads posting about how bad the game is why not a post about how good the game is. Doesn't matter either way. If he shows vids of this wonderfulleness, it would sorta debunk the "Brawl is bad arguement."

Edit: I could AIM you I guess and we can release "Mediocre FL smasher talks to horrible MidSouth smasher about how Brawl sucks." Sounds good?

darkatma

Smash Hero
I cannot
Read anything
when it's all divided up
by unnecessary breaks.
You are not a poet.
So please,
pretty please,

I think society has trained us enough to read a simple aim conversation.
freshman lit also teaches you how to organize thoughts. you should use that organization skill for you own benefit, not have others spoon feed information to you.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Awesome read, I recommend everyone to read this. 5 stars.

My most favorite thing that I learned is that all of the characters are very unique and deep. Its not like Melee where you can easily play the same style for multiple characters. So ATs and combos are very character specific.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
First the videos pump me up for the game, then the music, now this. Seriously, I knew that Brawl would have depth like this. :)

Leviscus

Smash Apprentice
"Cross the Walls (6:42:46 PM): i still have 11 characters to unlock
Cross the Walls (6:42:51 PM): as i dont give a **** about single player
Cross the Walls (6:42:59 PM): or the subspace star wars bull****"

Stopped reading there

1-up

Smash Journeyman
You are also 1-up and not GAWes. >_>

I think there was alot of threads posting about how bad the game is why not a post about how good the game is. Doesn't matter either way. If he shows vids of this wonderfulleness, it would sorta debunk the "Brawl is bad arguement."

Edit: I could AIM you I guess and we can release "Mediocre FL smasher talks to horrible MidSouth smasher about how Brawl sucks." Sounds good?
haha mediocre? you assume just because i dont go to tournaments that means i dont keep up with the beast that is the S. FL. smash community. id MM GAWes anyday.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Lol, Tornado madness.

GerbilMortar (6:32:11 PM): man you're making me cream myself over this info

Grea to know.

I can't wait to spam Pikmin now...

WALUWEEDGI420

Smash Rookie
for everyone who didnt read, you are missing out on some great menu. Is pushing the R button a tiny bit more that bad. im pretty sure i do it anyway.

and yes this is my first post

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
This is like, sex for you guys, isn't it?

Anyways this is great info. I can't wait to try out Luigi.

MechanisMs

Smash Rookie
basically, what I got from it was that after you learn the basic mechanics of the game, and the mid level game-inherent tech that is provided (mid-air dodge, DI, Knockback depreciation etc.), you can't go half-assing your way by learning character "styles" then applying them across the board to a narrow range of characters (the aforementioned sheik/fox/falco/marth) with minor changes per character.

it becomes necessary *more so than in melee* to learn and master the specific nuances of each character, and failure to do so results in mediocre or subpar play.

extrapolate that and what it really comes down to is, with a limited amount of time/sanity, it only becomes logical (and efficient) to main ONE or TWO characters.

unless i'm misinterpreting something. =]

Hard Corwen

Smash Cadet
I'm concerned about the controller's needing to get modded. Sucks.
But come to think of it, do i push it down all the way already?
I think i do?
ha i'll go check :p

platnum

Smash Lord
attn:people who didnt read:READ IT! that is all.

This might be the most important thread on the boards right now, STICKY!

clowsui

Smash Legend
Summary Post

1. Azen likes the game...most likely Brawl is great, then.

2. Stressed again: Shut yourself from Melee mindset. This is a WHOLE NEW GAME. Change your mindset, don't use Melee physics, combos, nothing. Take Brawl as Melee was for you as if you had never played it before.

2a. Brawl is just as fast as Melee.

3. Aerial game is composed now of air->ground setups, creating a whole new field of play. Your objective is "assassination through interception", rather than "interception through assassination".
Cross the Walls (6:19:22 PM): basically
Cross the Walls (6:19:24 PM): the point of the game
Cross the Walls (6:19:43 PM): besides the obvious of hitting them so hard that they die from the direct hits
Cross the Walls (6:19:50 PM): is hitting people while they are coming back
GerbilMortar (6:19:55 PM): air interception
Cross the Walls (6:20:03 PM): think like dragon ball z
Cross the Walls (6:20:08 PM): like, because you are both so floaty
Cross the Walls (6:20:10 PM): and can make it back
Cross the Walls (6:20:14 PM): you hit someone off
Cross the Walls (6:20:18 PM): then go make sure they cant get back
Cross the Walls (6:20:24 PM): but its wayyyyy deeper than melee

4. Controller modding will be necessary for competitive players, the R-all-the-way is too inconvenient.

5. Character style is intensely unique now; the way you play one character =/= another. Essentially, no character is a clone now. Their moves may be based off another's, but the playstyle is 100% different. Thus, character depth is multiplied tenfold.

5a. This uniqueness creates a much more diverse tourney scene and also buffs up the necessarily knowledge to win. You must know ALL your opponents, not just a handful, to win.

5b. Learn your own combos! Creative discovery is now dominant, thus it's more important for you to learn the combos yourself to grasp them firmly.

5c. Tier list will change drastically due to the loss of "counter solidarity" - that is, the loss of "one style to counter many characters" as with Sheik, Marth, Falco, and Fox. Not necessitating the dropping of these characters from High/Upper, but just creating room for other characters.

6. Character-based techniques and combos and general style is now prevalent over "common techniques".

7. DI is still important.

--CHARACTER SPECIFIC--

Luigi
1. Tornado is the new WD for Luigi, extremely versatile
1a. Possesses a large variety of combos due to the versatile nature of the tornado
1b. Tornado is great for recovery
2. Luigi has great combo potential

Falco
1. LHDL exists

Diddy
1. Bananas = awesome
2. Combo king

Olimar
1. Possibly one of the Top 5
2. Pikmin gimping and Pikmin usage is incredibly useful
3. Pikmin Pluck is fast

Wario
1. Weird movement, not necessarily bad

P. Trainer
1. Three unique characters
2. Stamina = not obvious?

Peach
1. Got faster
2. Turnips stick into ground
3. Uair is ****
4. Float Cancelling is FAST

Zelda/Sheik/ZSS (ZSS is mentioned in 5)
1. Zelda has nicer smashes
2. Sheik's UpB has large "edgegrab" range
3. Fair is a closer for many combos
4. Bair (Sheik, Zelda), Fair (Zelda) has massive freezeframes
5. Select Zelda, deselect, hold R, select, enter match holding R - Sheik are chosen that way

ZSS
1. Select Samus, deselect, hold R, select, enter match holding R - ZSS is chosen that way
2. Suit pieces have large knockback + damage

Lucas
1. Low percent killer

Link
1. Can aim arrows

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
5. Select Zelda, deselect, hold R, select, enter match holding R - Sheik are chosen that way

ZSS
1. Select Samus, deselect, hold R, select, enter match holding R - ZSS is chosen that way
NO!!!

*** **** IT PEOPLE!!!

select zelda, click on shiek picture = she is picked, CASE CLOSED

select samus, hold R until you are on stage select screen = SHE IS PICKED

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
Read it all. Very smexy. As I main samus its good news. And as a future DIddy/Olimar player this excited me.

Top Bottom