• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl: This **** just got real

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
That was a great read. Long, but great. All of the character uniqueness that he referenced sounds so awesome. The idea of each character having to play differently against every other character in order to be effective is jaw-dropping. This is the kind of depth I've been waiting to hear about, and now that I've heard about a small morsel of it I am doubly excited for the U.S. release.

The game seriously sounds like it's going to be bonkers good.

NessJeffPaulaPoo

Smash Rookie
Wow thats great news, people complaining about the lack of technique are dead wrong. I think it's awesome that you also have to start all over, it puts everyone back on the same playing level and those of us that are out of practice (ME!) can come back in and learn the new system, and to top it all off fight against the pros online.

Burning Soul

Smash Apprentice
calm down peeps

All you need to know is that complainers are full of **** and the game is going to be good like smart people thought.

Characters have depth now, and every character will have their own identity

Luigi for god tier

early kills do exist, people are just playing the game incorrectly.

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
"that's it?" Wow, that was so cool. I can't believe that I just read something like that, you guys need to bring the smash back room out to the public, seriously. I don't need to post in it, I just want to read something like this, instead of the meh SMYN.

Oh, can you ask Azen and Wes more about Wario? I still don't understand the best way to use his down b, so help.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this pretty much means any of my efforts playing melee to get good at brawl before I pick up are wasted. They seem to play too differently.

The only thing I can work on is my reflexes and what not. Though my reflexes have got pretty amazing playing all of that DBZ:BT3.

I really look forward to when I can get this game. I should probably get it pre ordered soon, just in case I don't have the money when brawl is out.

Young Danny

Smash Journeyman
It is refreshing to see brawl poster with perspective and substantive posts, thanks GAWes.

*Edit*- God I hate smashboard nooblets. Stop destroying threads.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that is uncool about this post is I'll have to relearn my game with the good Captain since the game is a different engine with a different playstyle.

Oh well, it'll still be fun as hell. =D

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
OHH **** YOUNG DANNY!!! MADD OLD SKOOL LOL

yeah , I gave up on the brawl boards a long time ago but what ever

good **** Gerbil and Wes found out alot of stuff already! the more I play brawl the more I understand that THIS IS NOT MELEE! ppl need to stop complaining about lack of tech and etc already. this game will have alot of depth but it will take some time.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
ok i'll retire after like i played like game over 1000 years like I did in melee.

I'll be needing ur Friend code soon too

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you people thinks this place is bad? This place is a haven compared to gamefaqs. That place is a hole. Go there for about five seconds, and you'll come back here with a better attitude.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

GAwes

Hidden Boss
ok guys, to the guy that summarized the post, thank you, i will most like use that as a basis for my own summary sometime next week, i will also be adding to it here's a few key points i need to make before i go to class

1. Yes, some of these are facts, some are opinions, and mostly its MY IMPRESSIONS of the game
2. I didnt' write this as a guide, i simply got online, starting talking to josh, kept talking for a while, and then he said he was gonna post it, ITS NOT A GUIDE ITS A CONVERSATION, choose to read it if you wish, it will be summarized at some point though
3. I dont claim to know everything about the game, and the time i've had it is irrelevant to what i said, i didnt say "this is what will happen forever" i just made predictions about upcoming and probably soon applied metagame to brawl v. melee
4. i still dont care about one player, i will play it, but it'll be at least 6 months from now, so dont ask me about it
5. i am going to write what i know about certain characters, but im trying not to be repetitive with other threads info, so dont expect much obvious stuff, as i prefer to write only what i know (even if it turns out incorrect) than guess at some bull**** just to look cool like some posters

anyway im off to school

peace doods

GAwes

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
Info++.

It's good to hope that some universal nuance like Wavedashing will not be as big a factor as before.

I dunno about some of this though.
The original Melee had a LOT of character nuances too.

(Mewtwo's enlarged dodge, Young Links' bizarre Chainshot effects, Samus' homing grapple, etc.etc.)

But the core of the upper metagame as per the usual relied on the fringe of maximum human reflex time and came down to a speed contest between extremely fast characters.

The fast generally had an advantage against the slow, and characters that accentuated this took quickly to the top of the tiers.

It would not surprise me if here, too, some of the quicker characters became dominant and those with speed problems were relegated to lower-tier.

I strongly hope that sluggish characters are given hefty kickbacks. Ganondorf got what he needed in Melee; Bowser did not.
Crossing fingers he will this time.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
I'm so happy that Luigi is looking so ripe! That tornado move is gonna pwn everything in sight. I used it to great effect in melee and now it's even better. Gwaharr gwaheel!

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
all of this makes me very happy, I was completly blindsided when I read it would be more 'character based'. This is probibly the biggest news I've heard personaly and will on its own (if true) be what makes this game deep.
Also :love: for all the other info, keep it up

GAwes

Hidden Boss
"(Mewtwo's enlarged dodge, Young Links' bizarre Chainshot effects, Samus' homing grapple, etc.etc.)"

yeah but all of those things contribute to melee about as much as changing the ice climbers colors to play with nana

^ im going to start updating the first post's info now, and it should be fixed someone when gerbil gets on, then its back to brawl for me, be back at the end of the weekend, hopefully with vids!

wes

Digman

Smash Rookie
great read, some great insight to the game from a person who is approaching Brawl with the right attitude.

SonicSmash001

Smash Apprentice

(At a loss for words)

Ok...

*AHUM*

All of you LOL TOO LONG DIDNT RED people..

DIE IN A FIRE..

This **** got me more excited for brawl than any vid could have made me, read it or SHUT THE F*CK UP about: Wah, cant Wdash, Wah cant Lcancel, WAAAAAAHH I CANT COMBO..

Really, I HATE people not reading a post and then acting all high and mighty.
yeah totally agreed

Rash

Smash Ace
"Cross the Walls (6:42:46 PM): i still have 11 characters to unlock
Cross the Walls (6:42:51 PM): as i dont give a **** about single player
Cross the Walls (6:42:59 PM): or the subspace star wars bull****"

Stopped reading there
Why?

This thread mostly concerns competitive players and tourneytards who complain about Brawl's mechanics. Considering that they probably don't give a crap about Subspace, why does it matter to the discussion at hand?

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
I'm also glad that Brawl isn't just Melee 2.0 but a whole new game. :>

AerionTOFAST4U

Smash Apprentice
Gerbil thank you so much! :) I KNEW IT! YEAH :D :D I am so glad it's a fresh new beginning! also..the thing about * common tech * and all that.. I am glad you now need a strategy for each opponent...before..you just needed to smack em' and you didn't really need any tactics for fighting yoshi you know :p.. now it's MORE DEPTH :D CHEERS FOR A NEW BEGINNING AND AWESOME PROOF THAT THIS GAME WILL OWN! CALL THE SLAVEMASTER :chuckle: so much OWNING going on :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Disagree completely to be honest. When someone wants to present an IM conversation they should do just that. Once reformatted it just looks like someone's trying to dictate something to you, and loses the feeling of sincerity that a direct copypaste provides.

Also, I don't understand how your eyes can get tired purely from a format. If you can't understand that conversation despite how tame it is in internet speak... Welcome to the internet.
I can understand it just fine. Reading it is boring as hell, though. You won't understand why, because you were there as it was happening. You have a knowledge of the conversation's flow. I don't. I'm forced to read the information line by line, with some breaks being in the middle of sentences. I have to parse phrases that normally appear as a cohesive whole, even in spoken English. I have to find my own paragraph breaks and it's exhausting.

Plato collated Socrates' Apology. It shouldn't be too hard.

bLaiS

Smash Cadet
Cross the Walls (6:42:51 PM): as i dont give a **** about single player
Cross the Walls (6:42:59 PM): or the subspace star wars bull****

<3 WES

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
I can understand it just fine. Reading it is boring as hell, though. You won't understand why, because you were there as it was happening. You have a knowledge of the conversation's flow. I don't. I'm forced to read the information line by line, with some breaks being in the middle of sentences. I have to parse phrases that normally appear as a cohesive whole, even in spoken English. I have to find my own paragraph breaks and it's exhausting.

Plato collated Socrates' Apology. It shouldn't be too hard.
If you actually wanted people to help you, you could have just said "Could someone please format this out for me? I'm finding it really hard to read", instead of complaining from the start and mocking the OP. If you had a legit reason that you're not able to do what many others like myself did (who weren't "in" the conversation to know its flow), such as English being your second language, or yourself not being experienced with IM, or SOMETHING. You should have stated such a thing in the first place rather than starting an argument you can't win by mocking the OP. Do you know WHY you can't win?

Because people don't care that someone they see as a mocking, complaining block of annoying text can't read what they can. As far as grammar goes people on the internet will do as they please unless you have some humility and ask them politely.

The Pope

Smash Apprentice
Its nice to finally see some more informative threads in GBD. People need to stop worrying about this game being bad because it obviously isn't by both casual and hardcore standards. Azen and Wes seem to both love it and they should know what they're talking about considering who they are in the smash community. I don't want to say you guys should take their word as gospel but in all honesty, it would be really hard to doubt their opinions.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
OK. Wes sent me his revised version of the first post, so it's now there. It's been decided that the original conversation will be left there as well for those of you that still want to read it.

To those that are thanking us - Thank Wes more than me lol. All I did was learn a **** ton of stuff, decided everyone else could learn the same, and so I posted it. Wes is the one with Brawl, not me. Anything you guys know, I know, and I know no more. (Though I will when I talk to Wes again hehehehe... some of you ungratefuls may ruin the experience for others and I might not post it haha. /mean)

To the dude that did a summary post - I think Wes used your post for a basis. I havn't read everything yet lol, but thanks for that.

To 1-up: I'd love to see you MM Wes. I'd bring popcorn and a comfy chair, but it won't last long enough for me to even set everything up haha. This thread has plenty of good uses. I'm really tired of people trying to bash it down. Sorry to use you as my scape goat, but your giant sig stuck out and so I read your posts.

To anyone else who has a problem - **** off. ^.^

To that GA guy - Where the hell have you been? I don't think I've ever met you in my years of GA Smash LOL. Come to G4S5!!!!!!!! (The link is in my sig)

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
I just have to say that modding your controller is not necessary if you use the Classic Controller. It still has analog triggers, but there is MUCH less distance that has to be covered as far as pressing them until they click. I bought my Classic Controller specifically for Brawl, and never looked back.

Also, I can confirm that the initial Pikmin plucks are automatic. However, it is prudent to pluck some at the beginning of the match anyway, just to make sure you have a full set before you lose the opportunity to do so.

Waka_Waka_do_do_yea

Smash Journeyman
This sure cheered me up a bit. I've been afraid that Falcon had lost it, but according to DA_Wes he still got some special tricks up his sleeves. Thanks TONS :D

Top Bottom