• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Brawl Stage Studio] v0.8.03 Beta - Updated 02/25/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Awesome. ME and my lil bro find this an awesome program. And lol, don't try to change things on brawl's stage editor, it makes your wii crashing like a ****. We learned that the hard way X_X I shoulda read the ''ReadMe'' from now on first before doing things :p

Anyway awesome program man thnx alot :D Now we only need a program to convert replays into vid files .... *Dreams on*

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Anyway awesome program man thnx alot :D Now we only need a program to convert replays into vid files .... *Dreams on*
Well... theoretically, it's possible, but it would require for the entire match to be emulated on pc, which besides being ridiculously hard to make a working emulator for without taking a huge amount of system resources, it would also be illegal.

Zycor

Smash Apprentice
I noticed a few things, I was playing around with a Bowser as Ness and I lost a stock then I kept spawning off stage and lost all my stocks in a manner of seconds... other than that Brawl doesn't seem to like spawning some objects in the right spots from my files. Other than that I must say great job!

I know it's probably not likely but I'd like to see more customization like Textures and Custom Music. And if somehow you can make it with custom polygons or even just to make the Melee stages that we didn't get in Brawl along with 64 ones, that'd be epic.

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
a suggestion i would like to make, is a group selection mode, most intuitive would be a click and drag to create a selection box. This way you could select more than one object at once, then manipulate them. I would love this option because often i will create a stage then want to reposition it either higher or lower. being able to select the entire stage and move it as a group would be awesome

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
A lot of the glitches people state are normal when placing tiles outside the boundaries, especially the larger tiles. It's a glitch that's well known with one of the GeckoOS codes.

Anyway, custom pic is for the win. I do believe if my stage went public, it would be the flagship stage of this program, no doubt about it. BRB while I shout the awesomeness of this program from the rooftops.

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet
Error while saving stage!
Invalid path or internal error.. please report!

Ok, sorry I started the post with a bug report, but I must say that this is one of the most fresh and outrageous programs I have ever used. It looks like it came straight from Brawl. Nothing short of amazing. I am dumbfounded. I love the layout and design and the controls are easy to use. I am very impressed and I am so looking forward to any further progress and updates. Thanks!

P.S.: I have yet to test to see if I have the same Spawn spot problems. I have placed all the Spawn spots not in the air. I hope I have no troubles when testing on my Wii. I have yet to do so. However, I am getting this problem when trying to save a stage that uses overlapping and more than the amount of objects you're "supposed" to on the Wii. I don't think that's the problem. And I downloaded the correct .rar (I even cleared my Mozilla cache).

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ok, Xane, I think some of the save problems might have something to do with custom preview images. I was making a stage, and it didn't save properly. I remade the stage (originally thinking it had to do with piece overlaps), and it saved and loaded just fine. I kept retracing my steps one by one, and when I added my custom preview, that's when it started giving me the save/load errors. I also noticed that sometimes the temp stage file that the program saves to your Stage Studio root folder is corrupted, too. I'll work on sending you the original (non-crashing) stage bin, the non-crashing iterations, and the final crashing version.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Error while saving stage!
Invalid path or internal error.. please report!
Check if your stage file starts with st_

Also another bug report : (Sorry, I don't bother sending an email)
Sometimes when I save or load stages the music stops and the SE are still there... Not a big problem though.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I love you.

Definitely the best Stage Editor I've used. I've had no problems with loading/saving stages, nor any spawn issues. I also appreciate the fact that some blocks can actually be next to each now ^^. Just don't try and edit the stages in Brawl >.>

Great job.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
@Jack Kieser & Disco_Peach:
Do you both have v0.8.01 installed? Look in the menu on the bottom for the version number.
Because.. it doesn't save temporary stages anymore and fixed some issues with NATURE stages.

If you have the newest version and still experiance those problems, please eMail me your stages.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Do you both have v0.8.01 installed? Look in the menu on the bottom for the version number.
Because.. it doesn't save temporary stages anymore and fixed some issues with NATURE stages.

If you have the newest version and still experiance those problems, please eMail me your stages.
Well I have v0.8.01 and experienced this problem too.
Here's what I did:
-I loaded an existing stage
-I changed its custom preview image
-I saved it
-I created a new stage with no custom preview image
-I saved and it has the":error while saving stage" popping out
-If I restart the program there is no problem

By the way there are still problems with the nature thing...
http://willhostforfood.com/files3/9674984/st_Hyrule Castle.bin
In this stage, the stage studio displays the pillar on the right one block upwards than the actual position, but I tried again with a median sized stage with no out of boundary things and this doesn't happen. The problem should be the out of boundary thing.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Well I have v0.8.01 and experienced this problem too.
Here's what I did:
-I loaded an existing stage
-I changed its custom preview image
-I saved it
-I created a new stage with no custom preview image
-I saved and it has the":error while saving stage" popping out
-If I restart the program there is no problem[
(..)
Thanks, I tried that and you're right, it will be fixed

(..)
By the way there are still problems with the nature thing...
http://willhostforfood.com/files3/9674984/st_Hyrule Castle.bin
In this stage, the stage studio displays the pillar on the right one block upwards than the actual position, but I tried again with a median sized stage with no out of boundary things and this doesn't happen. The problem should be the out of boundary thing.
Mh.. needs further testing on my side, thanks.

Fuhreak

Smash Rookie
If you make a stage, say... size large? And place objects outside of the box,
the objects are deleted when you change the stage size if they're not within the box,

Spawn points, however are not, if you change the size of the stage while making the stage, they stay.
Doesn't seem to affect respawning though, that seems to work normally.

Edit: to make it more clear, if you make a stage, Size large, and place all of the spawns as far right as possible, then go to "stage options" and change to size to small, all of the spawn points will remain where they all, killing you instantly when you start a game.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
If you make a stage, say... size large? And place objects outside of the box,
the objects are deleted when you change the stage size if they're not within the box,
(..)
They're not deleted, just don't show up and won't be saved. (Just switch back to max size)
I wanted to include that tho, but it need further testing before.

Fuhreak

Smash Rookie
They're not deleted, just don't show up and won't be saved. (Just switch back to max size)
I wanted to include that tho, but it need further testing before.
I knew about that, but what I was pointing out was that spawn points don't also do that,
Which isn't the end of the world... the worst it can do is make sure you buddy starts out with -1 score...

Edit: Not really related to the editor, just how brawl works, if you place a set of spikes, then a block, (I used ice, not sure if it works with others) Then the game ignores the spikes and it works like a normal block.

Like I said not related to the editor, just thought people might wanna know.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
The program won't even start for me, when I press the .exe, the process starts for a second, then it disappears. Do I have to place the program in a certain place on my computer? I have an XP, sp 3 (I think), nvidia grapics card, some weird model called X91 or something I believe. It works on my fathers Vista laptop, so it must be something wrong with this computer.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
The program won't even start for me, when I press the .exe, the process starts for a second, then it disappears. Do I have to place the program in a certain place on my computor? I have an XP, sp 3 (I think), nvidia grapics card, some weird model called X91 or something I believe. It works on my fathers Vista laptop, so it must be something wrong with this computor.
Well.. I didn't put in the system requirements because they should be no problem with todays computers.
But you need a 3d accelerated graphics card compatible with at least DirectX 7.0 / OpenGL 1.0.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
well, i have DirectX 9.0c, but i'm not sure about this OpenGL... I'll look into it. This computer can handle TF2 and Spore without a problem, so then the graphics card shouldn't be the problem, right?

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
well, i have DirectX 9.0c, but i'm not sure about this OpenGL... I'll look into it.
You don't need to, it's pure DX at the moment but I'll let the user switch between later using a config tool.
Does you graphic card support DX9 or is just the API you installed?

EDIT: Ok, your computer should run it more than fine then.
It must be something different.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Gah, this is really annoying >.< I just know that it's this weird graphics card that is the problem, I've never heard about my model anywhere else before...

EDIT: I appearently have an NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX graphics card... my memory sucks XD But yeah, I'll DL the lates updates for it and see how that goes...

Boingboingsplat

Smash Rookie
Wow Xane, this editor is awesome. It works amazingly, and I haven't had any major problems.

Just a quick question: Is there any hope for item spawn point editing?

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
I think i might've figured out my problem now. I'm from sweden, and here we use the letters "å", "ä" and "ö". well, in the adress to the program, there is an "ä" (our default account is called "hp_ägaren"). Might the reason the program doesn't work be because there is a foreign symbol in the adress? I once downloaded a program that wouldn't work for that reason...

EDIT: It still doesn't work for me... but you might want to look into the thing I mentioned above...

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
o.O Maybe the item spawn points are the 4 unknown spawn points you were talking about, Xane... or at least one or two of them..
I highly doubt that, in 0.8.02 I temporarily made the unknown 4 spawn points save to the exact same locations as the normal 4 ones. It will be released tomorrow.

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet

Yes, I have the v0.8.01 installed. I made extra sure of that. And also, someone was talking about custom pics for the stage, I never imported anything and it still gave me problems. What I did (and this didn't give me any problems) was make a printscreen of my stage (since I couldn't save it) and do it completely over. What I did was save everytime I put a couple of blocks down and that seemed to solve my problem. I have yet to test these stages on the Wii per se, but that's cuz of some SD card problems I was having.

I don't know if this a global bug everyone might have, but what I believe was my problem was that I made too many changes in the stage before saving anything (a first time). After the stage was saved little by little with every progress I was able to end up with the same stage I couldn't save in the first place. So I solved at least my dilemma, but I'm not sure if the editor has a problem with doing a whole bunch of stuff and then saving a first time.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
(..)
So I solved at least my dilemma, but I'm not sure if the editor has a problem with doing a whole bunch of stuff and then saving a first time.
Not that I'm aware of, it runs without any problems here.
I need a way to reproduce this error in order to run it through the debugger, but since it works just fine here .. it's very difficult.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
The stage studio is awesome. Thanks for all your hard work.
I'm sure it's possible, or at the very least it will be. It will soon be possible to use texture hacks with the homebrew channel (so all you need is an sd card, which you should already have if you're using this software), and replacing the background images should work just the same. Imagine that. Completely customized stages (both the backgrounds and the blocks on them) with custom textures for the characters. Does that sound awesome or what?
Really? Where's the source for this info? Sounds freakin' amazing.

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet

Ok, to make a valid recreation. Try and make this stage via the new stage option. Try and do it just like I did. In the option, I have the 252piece and the boundary restrictions removed. Now, don't try and save until you've made the stage look exactly like this. When I tried to save, the file name i was going for was 'test'. I did not load any custom image for the stage. The blacked part is just my name. If all goes well then I'm stumped! But that was what I tried to make and gave me the error. Now, after doing what I did (saving bit by bit until it was done) I was able to save the stage. Oh, and I even used the same filename (test).

Sorry that I'm sending a screen capture, but it's cuz I wasn't able to even save it (because of the problem I encountered).

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Mh, I really recreated the stage step by step without saving until the end.. and it let me do that without problems.
Not sure.. I'll test some things on that one.

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet
It's ok. I'm used to bítchy programs. And this one is neither bítchy nor buggy. I haven't had nay problems with the editor at all except that message I got. I've still yet to test these stages on my Wii. I really love this program, man. I loved making stages on the Wii so imagine my delight with this project you spawned. Nothing short of a piece of art. And if you plan on making it even better, then you are sure to get massive praise and kudos. Keep up the good work!

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Will Stage Studio be able to create/load custom blocks in the future like Heinermann's half-pipe stage?
He didn't use custom blocks, they were just stretched ledges.
Stretching will come later with the "Advanced Block Properties" update, but this will take a while since it requires a complete rewrite of the block engine.

Great ! I will download this. I if i make the stages can i send it to my Wii or what?
Sure, that's what it's for.

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
I just tried this out, and it works like a charm. You fixed a number of the issues I hated with the stage builder (block limit, boundaries, etc).

Thanks a bunch for creating this. ^^

`lol

Smash Rookie
Spawn points in my stage are going crazy. I've tried a lot of things but once I die, the characters don't go back to their original spawn points. They just immediately die off of the right side of the screen. Has anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: I should probably mention out of boundary is on , seeing someone else had a problem with it.
EDIT: `Lol, it got fixed by moving part of a block from out of bounds.

brawllegend

Smash Rookie
`lol said:
They just immediately die off of the right side of the screen. Has anyone else had this problem?
Yeah, it happens when you overlap objects to the left of the object placement area. The same thing happens if you overlap above the object placement area only they respawn really far down. Overlapping to the right of the area and below the area works fine though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom