• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Brawl Stage Studio] v0.8.03 Beta - Updated 02/25/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I. About the Stage Studio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brawl Stage Studio is a PC stage builder for Nintendo's latest installment in the Smash series: Super Smash Brothers Brawl.
It offers many new features not possible with Brawl's build-in Stage Builder like placing up to 252 blocks, loading custom stage preview images,
having access to the beta block, placing spawn points and many more.

This is the first release of the Stage Studio. It does not contain all features I planned but they will be patched in later.
Since this is a Beta release, please report all bugs and suggestions to Xanares@Web.de.

If you like this piece of Software and want to support the development, please consider donating.
Click the About button in the Stage Studio for more information.

II. Screenshots

III. Download

[URL="http://www.mediafire.com/file/2toymtmm0tm/StageStudio_v0803.zip"]Download (mirror; thanks libertyernie!)
[/URL]

(Version 0.8.03 Beta)
Try clearing your browser cache when downloading updated versions!​

IV. Version History
Code:
  [v0.8.03 (25.02.2009 - 02/25/09)]
    - NEW: Included an automatic updater.
    - NEW: Now checks for valid filenames.
           Stages with invalid filenames will not be displayed
           in the stage selection screen.
    - FIX: Now saves all structures correctly.
    - FIX: Fixed some rarely occuring bugs while saving a stage.

[v0.8.02 (26.01.2009 - 01/26/09)]
    - NEW: Now saves all objects with disabled boundry re-
           strictions, just switch between stages sizes and
           place objects. Sadly, walk-off stages are only
           possible to the right of the stage.
    - NEW: Even with disabled boundry restrictions, it won't
           let you place objects too far to the left / top, as
           this glitches all spawn points in Brawl.
    - NEW: Now asks if you want to save your stage first
           when closing the window using the 'X' button.
    - NEW: Now occupies all 8 spawn points when saving.
    - NEW: When failing to save a stage, it will now store
           the error message in a logfile (Error.log).
    - UPD: Optimized some audio routines, still not perfect.
    - FIX: Fixed an issue concerning custom stage previews.

[v0.8.01 (24.01.2009 - 01/24/09)]
    - NEW: Loading a stage with more objects than normally
           allowed will auto-toggle on the 252 block limit.
    - FIX: Fixed some problems concerning the beta block.
    - FIX: When saving a NATURE stage with structures,
           it used the wrong attribute table and thus
           made the stage corrupt.
    - FIX: Config file will be now loaded properly.

[v0.8.00 (24.01.2009 - 01/24/09)]
    - First Beta release.
V. Credits
Designed and programmed by Xane.

SPECIAL THANKS TO
Heinermann - For his work on the stage format
reference as well as for testing early and
later builds of the Stage Studio.

GaryCXJk - Ripping highres block textures.

Comex, Crediar and a lot of other people:
Help cracking the checksum.

Simato - Testing later builds of the Stage Studio.

Tonindo - For his awesome Brawl Theme Remix.

Thanks to SORA Ltd. for making SSBB.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is property of Nintendo and SORA Ltd.​

VI. Tips & Tutorials
How to make a Walkoff Ledge and Cause Instant Death upon Game Entry - (Thanks to cookieM0Nster)
Remember to disable boundry restrictions in the Stage Studio's option screen first!
cookieM0Nster said:
How to make a Walkoff Ledge and Cause Instant Death upon Game Entry
  1. Open the Stage Editor program on your computer.
  2. Select "New Stage".
  3. Make the size of the stage large, by clicking a button in the top right corner of the program.
  4. Choose backround: anything works.
  5. Choose music: any song works.
  6. Press the button in the bottom of the program. This should say "Next".
  7. Choose a name for the stage. This can be anything that you want it to be. If you don't put a name for the stage, the stage's title will be "New Stage".
  8. Upload a picture to the stage (optional).
  9. Click "Enter".
  10. Select any type of block, preferrably a standard 1x1 block, and put a horizontal row of that type at or above the center of the stage. Above about 4 columns is prefferable.
  11. Put spawn points ALL THE WAY to the right side of the stage. The spawn points that are all the way to the right of the stage will cause instant death to the character whose spawn points are at the RIGHT EDGE. Whoever you do not want to die immediately should have his/her spawn point on the LEFT edge of the stage. These spawn points must be EXACTLY above the row of blocks that you used. If they are in the block, you will fall out of mid air, and this will cause spawning issues for people such as Pokemon Trainer, which will be stuck in a T-Stance, and unable to move.
  12. Select "Editor's Options", which should be near the borrom right of the program.
  13. Click on the button that shows a block with arrows going sideways next to a block. This will let you place objects a littlee off of the grid.
  14. Click the button next to it, that shows a fraction. This will let you have (pretty much) infininte parts. Do not use too many parts with this feature.
  15. Click "OK" or "Enter" (whatever it says on your program".
  16. Select "Stage Options", which should be near the borrom right of the program.
  17. Change the size of the stage to small, by clicking a button in the top left corner of the program.
  18. Click "Enter" at the bottom of the program.
  19. Look at your stage. The horizontal row that you put earlier should be far off of the grid. Click "Zoom Out", which is at the bottom of the program, to confirm this. If the row isn't off of the grid, you must redo the steps to make the walkoff work.
  20. Add parts if you want to.
  21. Save the stage.

VII. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Thanks to tnemrot and DaBunanaKing for a compilation of questions.
Question: Is it possible to flip stage pieces?
Answer: No, and it will probably never be possible.

Question: Is it possible to stretch/shrink stage pieces?
Answer: Not yet, but that's probably the next thing to be added.

Question: Is it possible to modify the background image?
Answer: Yes, but not with the BSS, you need Gecko OS (A homebrew app for the Wii) and the File Patch Code, you can learn more on this here.

Question: Is it possible to modify the color/texture of stage pieces?
Answer: Same as last answer.

Question: How do I delete a stage part?
Answer: Left click a part, then right click.

Question: How do I quickly add the same piece over and over?
Answer: Right click a part, then left click to place them consecutively. Also works with the item selector on the right.

Question: Can this brick/damage my Wii?
Answer: No, the worst thing this can do is freeze your game, and only if you have too many pieces or open the stage with the Stage Editor in-game, in which case just hold the power button for 7 seconds and the Wii will reset, but no permanent damage will be made.

espio87

Smash Ace
did I already tell you how grateful I am? well, I did, but it's not enough! Thanks!

It does not contain all features I planned but they will be patched in later.
what kind of features do you want to add in the future?

also, I couldn't help but noticing that there are some similarities with the stage builder and some stages in adventure mode. Do you think it would be possible to get the objects from those stages and put them in the stage builder?

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
did I already tell you how grateful I am? well, I did, but it's not enough! Thanks!
I'm glad you like it. ^^

what kind of features do you want to add in the future?
Amongst others, "Advanced Block Properties" like stretching and manipulating the height you get from springs, being able to save a full sized screenshot of your stage or use it as the stage preview image like Brawl does, more editor options and some other things.

also, I couldn't help but noticing that there are some similarities with the stage builder and some stages in adventure mode. Do you think it would be possible to get the objects from those stages and put them in the stage builder?
Sadly no, it has to do something with how Brawl seperates objects.
Brawl's Stage Builder only accept objects in a set range of IDs only for the Stage Builder itself. :/

Revven

FrankerZ
Oh yeah, Xane, about those other features, would those include anything like if we can place objects in the background (you know, XYZ coordinates?) Or our own textures for the stage objects? I doubt we can have our own backgrounds going by how the game works.

Just some questions I wanted answers to. It'd also be nice if we could rotate the spikes. =\

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
You can actually use these stages in the game?
*girly shriek*
Seriously, I was disappointed when you couldn't do this stuff with Ocarina but now my dreams came true. :D

Blu Marth

Smash Rookie
I can't load the stages I made to edit them, and it now gives me an error whenever I try and save.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'm going to say that jugding from the screenshots you guys went the extra mile by making the interface of this program mimic the feel of Brawl. You normally don't see this much effort from small projects like this. GREAT JOB!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I love you, this is simply fantastic, and two days after I get an SD card reader for my PC!

Blad01

Smash Lord
Wait... So this allows you to have new features for stage builder on your PC and then put your stages in your copy of Brawl ? ôO

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
First patch online! Thanks for your bug reports, guys.

- NEW: Loading a stage with more objects than normally allowed will auto-toggle on the 252 block limit.
- FIX: When saving a NATURE stage with structures, it used the wrong attribute table and thus made the stage corrupt.
Just download it using the old URL again, clear your cache if you still get the old version.

I'm going to say that jugding from the screenshots you guys went the extra mile by making the interface of this program mimic the feel of Brawl. You normally don't see this much effort from small projects like this. GREAT JOB!
Yea, thanks. Now imagine how much work it was for a single person. :p But I'm a perfectionist, I can't help myself. xD

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Sorry, but I downloaded it extracted it to a new folder, but when I double click on the StageStudio icon, it just shuts my computer off.

pieguy

Smash Rookie
fixed

First patch online! Thanks for your bug reports, guys.

Quote:
- NEW: Loading a stage with more objects than normally allowed will auto-toggle on the 252 block limit.
- FIX: When saving a NATURE stage with structures, it used the wrong attribute table and thus made the stage corrupt.
Just download it using the old URL again, clear your cache if you still get the old version
thank you that solves my problem because i was making nature stages!:laugh:

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Sorry, but I downloaded it extracted it to a new folder, but when I double click on the StageStudio icon, it just shuts my computer off.
Ok O_o that's strange. Never heard of it before, you should try scanning your computer.

Nice!

There's no hope of ever getting a Mac version, is there?
Well :/ I don't own a Mac so it's rather a no.
But I'll work on a Linux version as soon as I get my hands on my new rig.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Hmmm...anyway to import your own image for the background? Perhaps putting it on your SD card and somehow loading it onto the stage?
With a stage file itself.. you can't do that. :/
You'd have to either hack it into a custom ISO or use memory manipulator, like Ocarina, to hack it in, provided that it supports large codes like these.

pieguy

Smash Rookie
=d

xane you've done it again again. thanks to your update I can make stages! (before it wasn't letting me save):)

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
With a stage file itself.. you can't do that. :/
You'd have to either hack it into a custom ISO or use memory manipulator, like Ocarina, to hack it in, provided that it supports large codes like these.
Granted I don't know how much you know about it, but, do you think it would be possible to replace the 3 images in Brawl?

either way, fantastic job on the project, It looks great and I'm downloading it now

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
The stage studio is awesome. Thanks for all your hard work.

Granted I don't know how much you know about it, but, do you think it would be possible to replace the 3 images in Brawl?

either way, fantastic job on the project, It looks great and I'm downloading it now
I'm sure it's possible, or at the very least it will be. It will soon be possible to use texture hacks with the homebrew channel (so all you need is an sd card, which you should already have if you're using this software), and replacing the background images should work just the same. Imagine that. Completely customized stages (both the backgrounds and the blocks on them) with custom textures for the characters. Does that sound awesome or what?

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Edit: the screen is showing up all white-ish and I can't decipher anything. Is there something I need to change?
Sorry, you'll need to buy a new graphics card. :/
It doesn't work on some onboard cards.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Fantastic Job!
Now anyone can create hacked stages (most importantly spawn points).
Also, cool music.
By the way here are some suggestions for this project:
-use a drop-down list for changing music, that would be easier
-ability to place multiple objects of the same type without choosing it again(you press Z on the gc controller in brawl to do this)
-show how many objects are in the box(basically show the number of objects when you move the cursor over the box)
-more keyboards input available maybe?
-when you exit the program by closing the window, make it close immediately. And if you have a stage not yet saved, ask if you are sure to exit
---EDIT---
more suggestions:
-a auto-renaming feature for stage files using their names for easier management
-show where ledges are
-show floor and wall with color
-ability to choose different layers of objects

Spire

III
BRoomer
Epic. Even if I can't load them into the game, I'm going to have loads of fun with this program.

You rock.

Fuhreak

Smash Rookie
"Made in Germany, you know the German's always make good stuff."
~ Vince, shamwow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom