• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Online: Pathetic. So let's do something about it.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I tried this on NS2 and got flammed badly, I'll support you though. But we just have to deal with it because Nintendo always claimed to have been doing something ever since some of us here were on the Metroid Prime Hunters community and it was big and popular. They did nothing and I doubt that they will now...

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
make this a sticky!!! seriously. If they just get rid of this stupid Button Lag, i'll use Wifi all the time. If there is any way i can help this cause, please PM me!!!!

KSUkid

Smash Apprentice
*doesn't read any discussions that might've happened after the 1st page*

If this sort of thing is brought about, i.e. a patch to fix these problems, I'd say the best way for Nintendo is to give it out through the Wii Shop Channel. If they're worried about financing the sudden quality that they'd have to give out, which really shouldn't be a problem, charge a one-time fee for downloading the patch/whatever it is.

btw, would it be too close to E3 to have this be something that might come up? Or will we have to wait until Nintendo's conference thing (or TGS if they go this year)?

marththeswordsman002

Banned via Warnings
theres only one way to do this... SPAM!!! SPAM to your hearts content!!! SPAM until they do something!! call them!! call them!!! bwahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! freaking ugly annoying lag. i agree with you tummy

marththeswordsman002

Banned via Warnings
Nintendo in the hands of microsoft... *shudders*

In any case, keep in mind that brawl sold 1.2 million copies in the first month alone. It's undestandable that nintendo's servers wern't quite ready for this... :p

While brawl's wifi was above average for Nintendo, I agree it's a bit behind when compared to the rest of the world. Unfortunately, there's not much else we can do. :/
sure.. they said " lets make a sequel to melee!! it'll be called brawl and it'll have online play!! It'll be the best game for the wii! and since we'll release it march 9th. i dont think there will be a problem with the online play sonce its only the first month. not everyone will buy it"

theres only one flaw in their plan.. THEY FORGOT THAT SUPER SMASH BROTHERS WILL BR REEEEAAAALLLLYYY POPULAR!!! they thought that their servers(for a game evryone has been waiting for.. EVERYONE) would be ready at march.. wow..they should have expected 1million people to buy it at its first month because melee was a really good game..

Mewtwo1414

Smash Cadet
Now i'm a huge Nintendo fan, but when it comes to online gameplay, Nintendo really needs to come out of there secluded box and step out into the world. What the people of this generation want is online play, we want to play people halfway around the globe and trash talk them, and if they don't like the trash talk then give us the option to turn it off and on(although, on the official smash bros. website, they stated to news in the future, and seeing as how wii speak is comeing out, I can see us downloading the extra feture onto brawl). Nintendo is coming out the box, just at a slugs pace.

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
*doesn't read anything past the first page*

support.nintendo.com

you can submit game ideas to them by their email servace
not spam, there is a specific part in which you can send game ideas.

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
Umm, my online is perfect...Ive played someone from texas and Im in NY and there was barely any lag...maybe it is just your "wireless router"

Not trying to be rude, just sayin....

TheSundanceKid

Smash Lord
With Anyone - There is a complete lack of options here. You cannot set it to stock. You cannot play 1v1's. You, have, no, choice. If I play a player I want to play again, I should be able to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I understand that some players may want to play anonymously (that should be an option. what a stunning idea: options!), but making the entire system is anonymous is just ridiculous. I am sick of it. Nintendo continues to infantilize us.!
I have a theory of why you can't do stock matches. People taunt form alliances with other players, and if it is down to those two, the match would probably never end. They would just be there footstooling, taunting, and crouching until the other players get fed up and decide to leave.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
all I have to say: BRAWL ONLINE HAS LAG!! therefore it's online experience sucks.

seriously, I had a gut feeling that it would turn out this way before Brawl was released, and Sakurai mentioning he would do his best, but obviously he failed.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Sakurai: OUR SERVERS ARE TOO HOT, WE NEED A BETTER SERVER!
Iwata: Wii will upgrade when Wii Music online is released, in the meantime, go make a version of Smash Bros that uses the balance board NOW!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I dissagre with this. Nintendo intended for a family server. No voice chat, what do you want older guys swearing all sorts of crap at kids around 10 or so. And also the part of not getting in touch with the players on vs anyone is because they don't want older guys getting pissed off at kids who spam the b down with pika or something so that they get them to tell where they live so they can beat them up, or a probable result is that they would cuss at the kids on the internet. They put time instead of stock because of the recording device, when something funny or very rare occurance comes by, people would like to record it, agreed? Like say i get some awesome falcon punch or some glitch i've never seen happens, with the 2 minutes i can record it. The recording can go up to 3 minutes. Crazy **** happens in Sudden death, and if the time was 3 minutes, you could never record sudden death, so they make it 2 minutes. And for your friend lists, you DO know that you can delete some of the people. Its not like they'll ALL be on and its not like you CAN'T re-add them. Stop *****ing about this and just live with it. You don't like it? Cry me a river.

GofG

Smash Champion
Umm, my online is perfect...Ive played someone from texas and Im in NY and there was barely any lag...maybe it is just your "wireless router"

Not trying to be rude, just sayin....
You probably don't know enough about what you're talking about to suggest that it might be a problem with his "wireless router".

Smith

Smash Ace
You probably don't know enough about what you're talking about to suggest that it might be a problem with his "wireless router".
you don't have to know alot. You just have to know your Wifi is comming from your router. So the lag is comming from the router or anything going on, on the computer.

paperfairy

Smash Rookie
Congratluations. We have a worthy case with a considerable fan base. Reasonable demands, and patient users.

What are we doing about it? We've had 26 pages of bickering and speculation.

Spamming is idiotic. We need something civilized, and yet attention grabbing. Can we attempt to see Nintendo developers at future conferences? Organize events at those places to ask questions? Schedule interviews with designers? (within the Pokémon fandom, this is a fairly simple process, it should not be too difficult) If the higher ranked employees hear this directly from the player's mouths, there may be some impact.

We need to be doing something.

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
Online is peer to peer. A server is only used for the match making. Once the opponent is found, the quality depends entirely on the connection of everyone playing. One bad connection is all it takes to cause bad lag. STOP BLAMING NINTENDO BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

ONLINE SPEED =/= LATENCY. Just because you have a fast internet on your computer does not mean it is good for online play.

- Wireless has worse latency than wired. If you want to use wired then you'll need to buy the Wii LAN adapter. This is something you can blame Nintendo for; not having a built in ethernet port.
- Wii doesn't function well with all routers. If your router isn't compatible then you may have problems.
- Router is set on a bad channel. 1 and 11 work best. If 1 is bad then try 11 and vice-versa.
- If someone is on your network and is downloading something, it will suck up your bandwith and make playing online unbearable.

It's almost impossible to get rid of input delay completely because of how online fighting games work. They function differently than racing, sports or shooters. With a good connection, input delay will be about 200ms, which is 1/5 of a second. That's faster than most people's reflexes.

Excellent: 100ms of input delay / no slow down
Good: 200ms input delay / no slow down
Okay: 500ms input delay / no slow down
Poor: 750ms input delay / occasional slow down
Bad: 1000ms input delay / frequent slow down

If you're experiencing poor or bad then someone playing has a bad connection. If you experience it with multiple people every time then it's likely you.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Easy solution - get them to run the online through their servers. As far as lack of lag goes, MOH: Heroes 2 showed that this works!!! EA ran the online through their servers rather than making us rely on our own (though I now hate MOH, but that's a different story =P).

Psy.

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
I agree, the online system sucks. Xbox live works a lot better.

And the limited amount of friends you can have bothers me.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
actually OP, my impression is that the next gen. system will most likely have a online service you must pay for. Like XBOX LIVE. So lag wise that should corect stuff.

Personally though, we need another option for 1v1 matches only with anonymous people, as well as keeping team/basic brawl.

If you guys played Mario Kart Wii, they have a MUCH better online system then brawl does. They should just copy paste the idea into the next SSB installment, along with having a Xbox live type service.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
actually OP, my impression is that the next gen. system will most likely have a online service you must pay for. Like XBOX LIVE. So lag wise that should corect stuff.

Personally though, we need another option for 1v1 matches only with anonymous people, as well as keeping team/basic brawl.

If you guys played Mario Kart Wii, they have a MUCH better online system then brawl does. They should just copy paste the idea into the next SSB installment, along with having a Xbox live type service.
Mario Karts Online functions in a way that would make Smash Bros Online much much worse.

Mario Kart has just as much lag in Smash Bros, only it differs, In this game nobody experiances stoping lag, Mario Kart Online takes your opponents data where ever they're at and copies them to your game showing you that they are there, laggier games the online will do this not as much and you see opponents skipping to one place to another, for example sometimes you see opponents fall off the edge, but then their still on and they really didn't fall off, and sometimes you get 1st but You actually got 3rd because lag caused the data to go slower and didn't show where they were currently at. If they did that with smash bros players would be re appearing in all sorts of places and you wouldn't know where the hell you were, in worse cases if there was any lag the game would automatically deysnc if their was even the tinyiest lag. Mario Kart is a racing game, racing games have much less involvment with other players than Smash Bros (a fighting game) does. Racing games have a different online than Smash Bros does.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Lag is bull****, get something good as halo online and i'll be happy. Even playing someone a half hour away, there is still slight lag.

Kazura

Smash Cadet
True, there are some things about online Brawl that are bothersome, but I think you're trying to get Nintendo to turn this into Halo or something.
As said before, Brawl is marketed to more casual players. It is just the competative extremists who take what we have as free online functions and demand better of it.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Nintendo doesn't care. You bought their game, that's all they wanted, now they could care less.

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
MOH: Heroes 2 showed that this works!!
Lag is bull****, get something good as halo online and i'll be happy.
If you guys played Mario Kart Wii, they have a MUCH better online system then brawl does.
This needs repeated.

It's almost impossible to get rid of input delay completely because of how online fighting games work. They function differently than racing, sports or shooters
Medal of Honor 2: Heroes = shooter
Halo = shooter
Mario Kart = racing

Those games have just as much lag, it just hides it by not playing in complete 100% real-time. Fighting games slow everyone down to keep everything in sync. Those games don't. You connection isn't affected by their connection. If they're lagging then the game will reposition them every time it receives a new packet. You will never experience slow down but you may see them teleport around.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
One thing to keep in mind PrinceMarthX, is that HAL Laboritories made a majority of SSBB. While Mario Kart Wii was made by Nintendo the parent company.

The only real solution, to the lag issues you guys get, is to make a service that helps/supports online play like Xbox Live.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
MOH: H2 doesn't even have good online. Good online for a Wii game, yes but not compared to other FPSes on other consoles.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Mario Karts Online functions in a way that would make Smash Bros Online much much worse.

Mario Kart has just as much lag in Smash Bros, only it differs, In this game nobody experiances stoping lag, Mario Kart Online takes your opponents data where ever they're at and copies them to your game showing you that they are there, laggier games the online will do this not as much and you see opponents skipping to one place to another, for example sometimes you see opponents fall off the edge, but then their still on and they really didn't fall off, and sometimes you get 1st but You actually got 3rd because lag caused the data to go slower and didn't show where they were currently at. If they did that with smash bros players would be re appearing in all sorts of places and you wouldn't know where the hell you were, in worse cases if there was any lag the game would automatically deysnc if their was even the tinyiest lag. Mario Kart is a racing game, racing games have much less involvment with other players than Smash Bros (a fighting game) does. Racing games have a different online than Smash Bros does.
Yea i see where your getting at, i dont have mario kart wii i just heard/saw how much better the system was compared to brawls. In terms of how better organized it is. But yea, game mechanic wise i wouldnt want that type of system you described for brawl either.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo doesn't care. You bought their game, that's all they wanted, now they could care less.
Nintendo does care, its just part of a learning process. How many games do they have that feature really good online play? Can you name any recient ones?

My only beef with nintendo is too many casual type games, and accessory related **** that i dont need.

If you saw E3 this year, you know -exactly- what i mean.

Top Bottom