• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Online: Pathetic. So let's do something about it.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
I'm troubled by the general disregard Nintendo seems to have for its users. With this game, they have created an online system depriving us of all the things that an online system should have.

Grievances:
Friend Codes/With A Friend - *shudder* I'm not sure who at Nintendo thought this would be a good idea. It's not. 16 random numbers??? There is no way to interact with your friends within the system either. You can't challenge them, you can't message them. You can't play anyone 1 on 1, or in any sort of intentional fashion, unless they are your friend. And they limit you to 64 friends. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. A textbook example of how not to design a system.
Voice Chat - There is none! There is no (good) way to communicate with fellow players. So much of the fun of smash is the feeling of playing a fast paced game with people. Nintendo has managed to take that away.
With Anyone - There is a complete lack of options here. You cannot set it to stock. You cannot play 1v1's. You, have, no, choice. If I play a player I want to play again, I should be able to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I understand that some players may want to play anonymously (that should be an option. what a stunning idea: options!), but making the entire system is anonymous is just ridiculous. I am sick of it. Nintendo continues to infantilize us.
Lag - Lag is a huge issue with this game. Look around this forum: user after user complaining of lag. I have yet to play an online game at a speed where I felt it was enjoyable. And I know my internet is good, low ping latency, static ip, dmz, etc... I'm not asking for anyone to offer suggestions. The problem is with the game/nintendo's network.
Ranking/Tournament/Organized Play of any sort WITHIN the game- There is none. There should be. But that is so far from priority, that I'm not even going to get into it.

The fact is the whole system is incredibly flawed. An online system should allow anyone to jump right into a game without knowing anyone (waiting 3 minutes is annoying, but compared to all the other flaws, I'm willing to let it slide.) Players should be able to TALK to each other. If the players enjoyed the match, they should be able to friend each other. Players should be able to add a friend just by knowing their name, and should be able to message them (audio, or text, or just some sort of CHALLENGE feature) to get a game going. The gameplay should be fast paced, the gameplay should be fun. The gameplay should not feel like the matrix, there should not be HUGE button lag, and it should not be dominated by whoever spams "big" attacks the most. The online play takes ALL the skill out of smash. I have yet to be able to play a game in which I could execute a F-Tilt to U-Smash (with sheik). All advanced play is GONE in online, forcing me to rely on smashes and dash attacks.

How did nintendo manage to mess this up so badly? Every match I play I find myself spending most of the match mentally penning angry letters to Nintendo. I cannot decide which I am more angry about: the poor design of the online system or the unplayablity of the online game. And what really saddens me, is that there are so many people who are passionate about this game. We waited for YEARS for this. They bumped it and bumped it and bumped it. Ever since Melee, I wanted online. XBox had it. PS2 had it. With the next round of consoles, I was excited. I was optimistic. Wii had built in WiFi. But still, Nintendo has managed to screw over all of us. XBL is a sophisticated service that does all this. Whatever the PS3 system is called, from the minimal encounters I have had with it, it seems to satisfy. But Nintendo gives us something called "WFC" which is at least a decade behind. I am disgusted with them. This game is supposed to be their gift to us fans. So why is it that the online system is designed in a way that NO GAMER WANTS?!?! I am angry, frustrated, and disgusted. But more than that, I want the game I deserve! That we, as the community of people who love smash, deserve! If Nintendo allowed its users to patch the game (I know they never would, I'm just making a point), I have no doubts that we would have a fully functional online service. I find this incredibly frustrating and saddening.

So what can we do about it? We need to send a message to Nintendo. What I ask you, fellow board members, to do, is to help me come up with some way to reach Nintendo. Let us brainstorm some strategies to try to make some change. Mass email writing? Continously calling the complaint/comments number? Online petition? I'm not sure what the best method of attack is. What I do know is that there are many, many, many of us frustrated with this game, and we want change. With the online abilities of the Wii, I see no reason why the game cannot be patched (a patch would likely be very small, as it would be only code, no graphics or maps, and thus, could likely fit in the Wii's internal memory. Also, the majority of the "patch" would likely be server-side, meaning nothing would have to be downloaded to the console.) If anyone has any sourced information on the feasibility of patching (Sakurai saying "no DLC" does not count), please post it. Otherwise, please, please, as a community, let us come up with a way to reach Nintendo. Are they likely to do something? Impossible to say. What is definite is that they are more likely to do something if 10 or 100 thousand people complain. All they have for information right now are incredibly high sales numbers. They need to hear our voices.

Smashers, To Arms!!!

spyk90

Smash Cadet
I agree sooo much with your statement(s). This is why I prefer to have Nintendo charge for online service. Like Mircrosoft, they use that money to improve their online system. Whenever it comes to online gameplay, Xbox Live surpasses all others, hands down.

I prefer paying 40-50 dollars a year for good a good online system than some free crappy one Nintendo has to offer.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
Agreed. I would gladly pay for a service if it offered some quality. I'd even be willing to PSO and pay specifically for brawl online. There's serious money in this for nintendo, if they'd wake up.

One thing I forgot in my post: Rule selection! This makes no sense. Each player can choose their own stage and items and such??? The whole thing makes no sense, and works unreliably. Again, brawl's online just wreaks of lack of communication. Ugh, ugh ugh.

[EDIT]: One other thing I want to complain about: When you friend someone, it doesnt TELL THEM. ARGH *goes to attack wii*

Again, let's figure out a way to get nintendo to hear our complaints. Suggestions?

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. I think the best plan of attack is the Battletoads method: Find one service number, and spam it with complaints. After we've hit all their numbers a few times each, they'll get pissed. They'll report, and it'll go up the grapevine to Reggie. Our complaints will be heard.

shatoga

Smash Cadet
I'll send in a complaint or two.I think they just said "Oh it works perfectly fine on our highspeed super fast connection, so it's all good."

And you're right on alot of stuff. But i gatta disagree with you on the anonymous people stuff, i like to meet new people.

To bad nintendo is lazy and won't do much about it.

Mr. Game and Pichu

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Just wow.

Mytummyhertz rox.

I, too want this; my friends kinda mock me cuz they have XB Live...

Just to point out, (and not saying pokemon is kiddy, i have it,) Pokemon Diamond/Pearl have voice chat and you can register FCs easier.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
For what it's worth, I tried playing Brawl on my (fast) cable connection and dealt with lag spikes against basically everyone I played. I tried a DSL connection instead and it ran smoothly in a 4 player FFA.

It may not seem to you to be your connection (and I'm still not entirely sure what's up with my cable connection--I did some quality tests, but they didn't reveal much), but be open to the possibility. The matches themselves seem to be peer to peer, so if you're getting into a match but it's not running smoothly, odds are it's you or the person you're playing.

(This has nothing to do with the other problems inherent to how Nintendo decided to structure their online system, but before you complain that matches are laggy, take a look at other factors.)

JDegner790

Smash Rookie
I love Smash, and it's a great game, but this post pretty much read my mind. The online system is a huge disappointment, and from the looks of it, Nintendo hasn't done much to remedy the shortcomings presented by it. I mean, With Anyone? Come on. It can take up to seven or eight minutes just to find other players, and even then, it's limited to two-minute, items-on matches. That's idiotic. I agree with the OP on the fact that it removes all skill from gameplay, as well; it's near impossible to do a successful chain throw or to edgeguard effectively because of the horrible lag, and the creative minds at Nintendo are suffering the worst. I mean, who ventures to play dynamic stages like Lylat Cruise or Castle Siege when there's a large possibility of unenjoyable gameplay and even lagout?

It seems to me that the way to play is still at parties or tourneys; there's no way I can rely on the online system to do competitive 1v1 matches. How pathetic. What's still more surprising is that Nintendo has made no movement to so much as compete with Microsoft and Sony in the online field and has instead halfassed what could have been a glorious addition to the franchise. Why, even for free online play, Sony still competes with online systems evident in Resistance and Call of Duty 4!

And the worst part yet is that Nintendo, despite their claims about listening to the fans through character additions and the like, has ignored the fans in many ways, and I feel as if this will not be subject to change.

yoda55

Smash Cadet
And people say microsoft is bad heck I have no problems playing on xbox live on my 360than I do on wi-fi.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
And people say microsoft is bad heck I have no problems playing on xbox live on my 360than I do on wi-fi.
I know, right? CoD4 people would freak out if the online was one day changed to be like Wii online. Oh well, I'm grateful there even IS an online.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
battletoads!

Agreed. I think the best plan of attack is the Battletoads method: Find one service number, and spam it with complaints. After we've hit all their numbers a few times each, they'll get pissed. They'll report, and it'll go up the grapevine to Reggie. Our complaints will be heard.
I think this is a very good idea. Anyone know of / know where to find these numbers?

maticMan94

Smash Cadet
I was reading this thread and just had to reply. Very nice point for point. I had just finished a session of online smash and was having the same feelings. Come on Nintendo!

DrChops

Smash Apprentice
this is not the point of the topic.

stop defending nintendo.
The point of this topic is complaints about Brawl's online. He was just asking what would satisfiy the OP in terms of the friend limit (Which, i don't know if you realized this, is apart of Brawl's online functionality). In no way was he defending Nintendo.

And I agree with the OP on everything but the friend limit. Seriously, can you honestly say you play regularly aganist 64 different people? For online tournments, I could almost see your point, but you can still delete people then replace them when you need to.

Also on that topic, since Nintendo axed anytype of commuincation outside of a brawl, i don't think too many people will be randomly joining games in fear of encroaching on a possible planned match between two people. Ironically, in my eyes, one of Nintendo's blunders kind of canceled the other out.

stfunerds

Smash Apprentice
the reason friends code limit matters is because that is the amount of people we're limited to in playing customizable matches. that's all.

i completely agree with OP. sounds good, what we need to do is
1) Decide on what is is we want from online play. If we don't give a CLEAR cut demand than Nintendo could lazily fufill 1/3 of what online should be, separating the "movement".
2) Gather people on this site, advertise it on this site, and then get people from other major smash bros sites to join in the petition or whatever it is we do.
3) Decide what we are going to do. Petition? Call in one phone line? Email spam? Boycott tournaments? etc.
basically we need to organize this.

Lobos

Smash Master
Isn't nintendo coming out with some pay-to-play online service? Hopefully they add some online features with that.

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
Personally, I think the whole "SPAM UNTIL THEY DO SOMETHING :DDDDD" Is possibly thee DUMBEST, LEAST ORGANIZED, and it's not even CIVILIZED. If Nintendo realizes the "spam" attack is organized, they'll simply put all emails and cut off the complaint lines.

Though I did like your speech :D

Break168

Smash Rookie
AMEN to TC. The Brawl online system is just awful. In a game all about timing to have any kind of input lag basically makes it no fun to play. Not to mention the laundry list of other online qualms with this gimped system. I would be willing to do whatever necessary to join in on making our voices heard to Nintendo. Bravo TC.

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
That was a nice lengthy post, I don't know if we could make a difference, but I'll keep an eye on this thread. The gay thing is, one of my friends gets pretty much 0 input lag, and when I face him, I still get the one second. Which I don't understand, but whatever.

Point is, if we don't take a step forward as a community, nothing will ever happen.

SaviorLink1985

Smash Cadet
Yeah Im too scared to plug into online anymore for fear of an update canceling the use of my freeloader for Naruto Shippuden GNT EX 2. Im just going to invite friends over to play. At least then you can trash talk eat play and be merry just like the good ol melee parties lol.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
yeah bro id pay 50 bucks a year like xbox live does for serive like that. i get made fun of for having a wii and not xbox but smash is just way too good. but nintendo thinks were like what 12? how the hell is the game rated T. zomg a baloon pokemon fighting a rat one. common give us lag free matches and voice comm. and settings. they want u to like... ahh it gets me so angry. what can we do about it?

SPAM the everyone votes channel for headsets!!!

PWtCB

Smash Cadet
Even if I wholly approve about the fact that the brawl online is very limited, you can't expect miracles. To have all that you demand, it would take alot of time. It will require constant maintenance. If you had to pay money for it, like for instance xbox live, you can expect to have those things. But, the online capabilities of the wii are free so it leaves less space (and less reasons) for the people who takes care of the online system to actually improve lots of things. Even if I dislike the friend number system, in an online place where there are no gamertags, a code is the other best option. It also needs alot of numbers for this (ok 12 is too much but whatever). Also, like I said, you cannot compare Xbox live to the wii online system, because Xbox live costs MONEY. Of course, if you think that the wii online should be better at the expense of it not being free, well maybe you should voice your opinion on that matter. (I have no clue about PS3 because, well I simply don't like the console :p so I won't talk about it).

Snake King 1

Smash Apprentice
Checking every character for weaknesses, for &quot
yeah, we should email other places like kotaku.com, google for phone numbers, and email nintendo power. IF we are civilized in our emails, they WILL listen to us. Also, if our voice is heard in nintendo power, nintendo will notice our complaints and they might try something to fix this. Another method is to boycott nintendo by not buying anymore games. If everyone, clan, and group on this forum just please boycott nintendo and create emails saying
"nintendo [name of group] is refusing to buy any nintendo games until you fix online play. Please create better online services. We know that you want this to be kid friendly, but if you just put more options such as voice chat, username, matchmaking options, and the like, nintendo could make money on an online service. We speak as a community and whole and beg you to create a better online service. We love nintendo, we honestly do, but we can't deal with these issues on our own. Never think that you guys can't make it better and still have it kid-friendly, just put in more options for parents such as no voice chat. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a good example. It's a top-knotch game, but no one likes friend codes. People don't like not having no voice chat or options such as one on ones on final destination or just a friendly 2 minute bout on delfino plaza. If you don't believe me, then check on the internet and please realize that if you fixed online for all games, or at least brawl and mario kart wii, then we would be grateful beyond your belief. Thank you for taking your time to read this email, and thank you for at least thinking about this issue.
sincerly
your loyal nintendo fan, [insert name of group or person]"

alone, we really can't do much, but together, we can change nintendo. so mail nintendo and be sincere.

Snaaaake!

Smash Cadet
Well, fix the capitalization and spelling of a few things, first. The send it.

Also, I agree. We ought to have better wifi.

REDFIELD246

Smash Apprentice
yeah, we should email other places like kotaku.com, google for phone numbers, and email nintendo power. IF we are civilized in our emails, they WILL listen to us. Also, if our voice is heard in nintendo power, nintendo will notice our complaints and they might try something to fix this. Another method is to boycott nintendo by not buying anymore games. If everyone, clan, and group on this forum just please boycott nintendo and create emails saying
"nintendo [name of group] is refusing to buy any nintendo games until you fix online play. Please create better online services. We know that you want this to be kid friendly, but if you just put more options such as voice chat, username, matchmaking options, and the like, nintendo could make money on an online service. We speak as a community and whole and beg you to create a better online service. We love nintendo, we honestly do, but we can't deal with these issues on our own. Never think that you guys can't make it better and still have it kid-friendly, just put in more options for parents such as no voice chat. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a good example. It's a top-knotch game, but no one likes friend codes. People don't like not having no voice chat or options such as one on ones on final destination or just a friendly 2 minute bout on delfino plaza. If you don't believe me, then check on the internet and please realize that if you fixed online for all games, or at least brawl and mario kart wii, then we would be grateful beyond your belief. Thank you for taking your time to read this email, and thank you for at least thinking about this issue.
sincerly
your loyal nintendo fan, [insert name of group or person]"

alone, we really can't do much, but together, we can change nintendo. so mail nintendo and be sincere.
I don't think Nintendo will take us seriously if the grammar and spelling is that poor. Fix it please. Also, it's worded so that you're basically saying this: "Nintendo, I'm going to kiss your ***, but I have a tiny little problem". Be a bit more assertive, not to the point of being an *******, but at least so you sound credible.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think the whole "SPAM UNTIL THEY DO SOMETHING :DDDDD" Is possibly thee DUMBEST, LEAST ORGANIZED, and it's not even CIVILIZED. If Nintendo realizes the "spam" attack is organized, they'll simply put all emails and cut off the complaint lines.

Though I did like your speech :D
One of the smartest statements of this whole thread.

Still, I have yet to see the online of brawl as it has not come out yet in Europe. It can't be all THAT bad...

"Nintendo [name of group] is refusing to buy any Nintendo games until you modify the online service. We know that you want to be kid-friendly, but if you just include more options such as voice chat, username, matchmaking options, and the like, Nintendo could make money on an online service.

I, sincerely, would greatfully pay for a more sophisticated online system. Aside from making money from a new online system, you would also be able to keep the old one for people who don't want to pay-to-play online (of course the pay-to-play online would be a much more decent system). This would also boost your popularity with many gamers who are fond of playing against others.

We speak as a community and on the whole beg you to create a better online service. We love Nintendo, we honestly do, but we can't deal with these issues on our own. Never think that you can't make it better and still have it kid-friendly, just put in more options for parents such as no voice chat.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl (大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズX, Dairantō Sumasshu Burazāzu Ekkusu) is a good example. It's a top-notch game, but not many people like 16-digit friend codes. People don't like not having voice chat, or options such as 1 v 1 on Final Destination or just a friendly 2 minute bout on Delfino Plaza.

If you don't believe me, then see people's opinions on the online service on the internet. Please realize that if you fixed online for all games, or at least Brawl and Mario Kart Wii, then we would be grateful beyond your belief. Thank you for taking your time to read this email, and thank you for at least thinking about this issue.
Sincerly,
Your loyal Nintendo fan, [insert name of group or person]"

Amorasaki

Functional
Premium
BRoomer
Should have been like most console FPS games. Offer public matches in a few "templates" like teams, 1v1, ffa, no items; then also offer private matches between friends where you can customize the rules beyond the basic templates.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Excellent post and definitely true.

I'd gladly pay $5 a month for solid, dependable servers and friend lists which weren't terrible and allowed me to send messages.

LORDDJINNX

Smash Rookie
To possibly answer the reasoning behind DSL being slightly better online than cable, I would assume it would be because DSL's focus is on its upload speed. With the internet, you have Download and Upload. Download everyone is familiar with. Upload is the opposite, its the amount of data (packets) you transmit back to the internet. Cable has its focus on download, DSL on upload. That might be why it was slightly faster.... may not always be the case, but meh. a little education. :)

Fonix

Smash Cadet
Okay how about this,

"To Whom it May Concern:

There are many gamers who have been avid followers of your company since we were very young. From the time that the NES came out we have enjoyed playing games both by ourselves and with our friends. In humble beginnings we would sit down in our living rooms with friends and family and enjoy games. We have remained followers of your consoles as technology has advanced.

It is with regret that your current generation of console, the Wii, is not as advanced as its competition. While we have remained loyal to you as fans you have not returned the favor. We no longer wish to be restrained to our living rooms. The explosion of the internet allows us to play with friends we've never even met face to face. It allows us to make new friends. It opens doors we've never been privy to before. One needs only to look at your two rival consoles to see the fun and excitement online play can bring. Your system thus far has failed in this regard.

We understand that you consider the ages of many of your customers when developing games. We also understand that this played a large part in how you developed your online capabilities. However, we believe that in this day and age that is no longer the responsibility of the company who designed the games to play this role. We can point to games such as "Manhunt" to demonstrate this. Rockstar Games never intended for children to play this game. They knew the game would have the mature ESRB rating placed upon it. They left it up to the vendors and the parents to regulate their children's gaming. While the game is still controversial the responsibility has not fallen onto Rockstar for the game. We as gamers feel that all games should be handled this way. There is an ESRB rating affixed to this game as well as a disclaimer warning that online content is not rated. The game is not filled with an abundance of violence, and parents should remain ultimately responsible for what their children view and/or hear on the internet.

There are many demands that we as fans have, and we understand that at times it is difficult to meet all these demands. What we ask isn't always going to be easy and there are several reasons for that. Sometimes we aren't clear in what we want. Sometimes we contradict one another. Sometimes we just ask the impossible. This is an attempt to state clearly what we want, in a coordinated effort, all off the things that we feel are possible. Besides it isn't always easy for us to shell out the money for your products.

We would like to see the usage of friend codes done away with. While it is a good idea in theory, in practice it only limits us. As stated before we can point to other successful online services that don't use this that are considered much more successful and much more enjoyable. We don't want to be limited to who we play against. We want to be able to play an individual we've never met the same way we would play an individual who was sitting in our living rooms. Sure there's the possibility of negative interactions under this method, but we as gamers have tough skins. We can handle it. Surely it would be feasible to merely add an option to ignore or block another user who we felt as acting inappropriate.

We would like the ability to chat with the people we are playing against. There is no reason that the only communication between participants is limited to predefined messages. Part of the fun of playing in the living rooms was hearing the reactions of our friends around us during the game. Whether it's laughing or an admission of defeat it was all in good fun. It would be no different in an online setting. Nintendo was not sitting in our living rooms when we were talking amongst one another, so why are they taking an active interest in what's being said in our games now?

If you insist on keeping things anonymous surely that mode of play can be improved. Currently in "Super Smash Brothers Brawl" it is severely limited and is not very enjoyable. A few simple changes such as allowing the users of the game to determine what type of game they are playing instead of a default settings would drastically improve it.

We are aware that the lag issue is due to a number of factors and not all of them are within your control. We know other games have had similar problems that were worked out in time. We are aware of the number of sales your games have had, and that just the sheer load of gamers is probably more than you ever expected. While we understand this is probably an issue you are already working on, we just felt that it should be pointed out as well.

We know that you are human too. You make mistakes. You also take pride in your work. We don't mean this to imply that you have done a bad job far from it. However we feel that upon revisiting the work you can make it even better which will benefit everyone involved.

We know this is long and that your time is precious. We appreciate the time, effort, and energy you have poured into the wonderful products of yours over the years. We don't want to be thought of as whiners and complainers. We're trying to be respectful of you and the things you've done. We do want you to realize that none of it would have happened without us though; as such we want you to at least hear the issues we have and try to help correct them.

Thanks from a Loyal fan
[Your Name Here]"

Yeah a bit wordy. i'm sure there are probably some grammar and spelling errors. However I think this is more articulate, and getting a few hundred of these a day might help change some opinions.

Truethirdeye

Smash Rookie
West Coast (CO) Let's Throw Down! I got Broadband!
its suprising how stupid Nintendo is with the internet, ever since the Gamecube with PSO. One online game, and it sucked. Now we got Super smash with the most ******** online service to date. I remember I sent an email to nintendo about a year before melee came out talking about how sweet it would be to idolize the modem to play other people with the internet. They said at the time they weren't considering it, but now they did!!!! AND THEY SCREWED IT UP! So, I'm probably going to send them another letter discusing a way to fix this so they could make more money and I don't have to fight the stupid computer players.

Thats the only reasonable way I see it...but, its really hard to talk to someone about this for Nintendo is a very large company. So, take which path you will, you can either not complain, complain, which won't do much, or you can voice your opinion in a productive fashion. Til then, my brawl code is to the left, :D

2kuul

Smash Rookie
i like this thread! :chuckle:
lets make a spam mail that all of us send to Nintendo!

darkfox32

Smash Rookie
I 100% agree with you that we should write/e-mail Nintendo that Brawl's Wfi stinks. I know this has been asked already, but does anyone have a way to send Nintendo etters?

Jace08

Smash Lord
No matter how good one's connection is, I'm pretty sure there is always some degree of input lag. Which is probably the biggest reason online play is and will remain (if things continue like this) crippled.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I completely agree. Nintendo, whether they deny it or not, continues to fail their loyal fans in terms of online service. The friendlist options are pathetic, the lag is horrid, and the overall quality is ridiculous. I'd gladly pay 50-60 dollars a year for solid service, not this watered-down, kiddy piece of ****.

Top Bottom