• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Online: Pathetic. So let's do something about it.

ChozoAce

Smash Cadet
This needs repeated.

Medal of Honor 2: Heroes = shooter
Halo = shooter
Mario Kart = racing

Those games have just as much lag, it just hides it by not playing in complete 100% real-time. Fighting games slow everyone down to keep everything in sync. Those games don't. You connection isn't affected by their connection. If they're lagging then the game will reposition them every time it receives a new packet. You will never experience slow down but you may see them teleport around.

soulcaliber 4 has no lag...

.Marik

is a social misfit
I can see the disappointments of it, but at least you guys get to go online. I wish I could. >_<

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
There is huge potetional for more money here, but Nintendo is basically throwing it all down the drain. They underestimate the potetional of smash bros. If there were DLC, even if it was just something small like alt costumes (Dr. Mario anyone?), and they actually patched the game/online, this would be a far better gamer game.

ShikaChef

Smash Cadet
There is huge potetional for more money here, but Nintendo is basically throwing it all down the drain. They underestimate the potetional of smash bros. If there were DLC, even if it was just something small like alt costumes (Dr. Mario anyone?), and they actually patched the game/online, this would be a far better gamer game.
I agree. DLC would be awsesome. And a patch... If there were a patch, I would cry tears of joy. I completely agree with all the points Mytummyhertz tried to make on this thread.

Sibsen

Smash Rookie
A year has passed since the last post.

I still experience mad lag, including no kind of communication in the "With Anyone" section.
Else than that I won't say, in fear of bumping. Other than I am very unpleased over the online playing nintendo has to offer on SSBB. It ruins my gaming...

:ohwell:

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
I used to have unbearable lag, but since I've gotten back on(2 weeks ago to now) I have had not instances where the lag has had a major influence on the game, and many times where the match it literally lag free. I have gotten righ back into it, and enjoy a few matches per day

SSBA

Smash Rookie
A year has passed since the last post.

I still experience mad lag, including no kind of communication in the "With Anyone" section.
Else than that I won't say, in fear of bumping. Other than I am very unpleased over the online playing nintendo has to offer on SSBB. It ruins my gaming...

:ohwell:
i agree, i encounter little to activity on the with anyone, but im lag free or small and unnoticeable lag on most friendly matchs

Dracospawn

Smash Journeyman
I could tell you that but then I'f have to...ummmm
Well it does suck compared to other games online, which usually have some method of communication. I know that they are trying to keep it kid friendly, but please, we need something. Give the kiddies a kiddie server or something, this online is dissapointing compared to most of what I see.

Taser9090

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but I know why the Brawl's are so laggy, and can't even connect to a battle.

If you always get 86420 and disconnect, then you need to get your Wii's IP address.

You'll need to get your Wii's IP address in you Wii settings menu.
After you got it, go to your Router's settings by entering your ROUTER IP address in your web browser.
Since I never got that far, you'll need to find the settings to add your Wii IP address so it thinks it's safe, so you won't get disconnected. (I don't have the password to my router D: )

It's even in the Nintendo website

Taser9090

Smash Rookie
I really like Online Brawls, but I can't brawl in Basic Brawl for taunt matches... I just want that password for my router :(

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I tried to add people but it was a hassle just for it to extremely lag when they lived only like a state or two away from me and its hard to set up a match once you see friends online and basic brawl is a joke 4 player ffa with items? what were they thinking

DennisTheKing

Smash Cadet
Well i can't even get online atm, and neither can many of my friends, we keep getting error code 31020.

:downs:

Smash Apprentice
I tried to add people but it was a hassle just for it to extremely lag when they lived only like a state or two away from me and its hard to set up a match once you see friends online and basic brawl is a joke 4 player ffa with items? what were they thinking
They were thinking about casual gamers. "With Friends" is there if you want super serious 1 v 1 no item matches. Items are chosen the same way as the stage, turn off your items if you care so much.

BSP

Smash Legend
Well, the wii is not the system for serious online gaming, i think an xbox would be better for that.

But nintendo could've done a better job (at least a ranking system so you dont get stuck with TP ers all the time >_>)

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs &amp; FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
I so agree with you, Mytummyhertz. It's stupid. I'm a friendly person and I appreciate a good Smasher when I see one. Being anonymous sucks so badly. It's like pulling teeth trying to get friends with the way Nintendo has the system set up. We really should do something about this, but the question is will Nintendo listen/care?

MKOwnage

Smash Journeyman
This may sound silly, but wi-fi security can drag down your connection. I know from a personal experience.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Yeah man, I definitely got brawl for the online mode, expecting something sort of like battle.net. The online play was a huge let down, and that's why I don't play brawl.

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
I just want to point out that it's not sakurai's fault that there's no voice chat. Wii speak wasn't released, and they cannot "Update" the game due to the crappy way nintendo made the wii. If he had made us wait till wii speak came out. EVERYBODY would hate Brawl due to it's late release. Blame Nintendo, not the smash development team.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
I just want to point out that it's not sakurai's fault that there's no voice chat. Wii speak wasn't released, and they cannot "Update" the game due to the crappy way nintendo made the wii. If he had made us wait till wii speak came out. EVERYBODY would hate Brawl due to it's late release. Blame Nintendo, not the smash development team.
Even without the wii-speak, there should be some sort of messaging system for communication.

Jellie

Smash Rookie
I would be perfectly satisfied if they would re-release Brawl for the same price after adding more online options (1v1!!), Wii Speak compatability, improved server performance, etc. I'd gladly pay another $50 for a working online mode!

But I ain't complaining... I still love Brawl even through the lag.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I would be perfectly satisfied if they would re-release Brawl for the same price after adding more online options (1v1!!), Wii Speak compatability, improved server performance, etc. I'd gladly pay another $50 for a working online mode!

But I ain't complaining... I still love Brawl even through the lag.
nice work dude, and for that, we must brawl, your cool man come on

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
Well said. This is one of the best games Nintendo has to offer, but it has the worst online system I've ever seen.

mybigboner

Smash Rookie
i've checked the nintendo's hompage and i was searching for a solution to fix this lag problem, I ended up on a page with routers that are compatible with the wii. Apparently my router wasnt included, maby that explains why some are very laggy at the online gameplay of the wii

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
What? Why would you wann disable the smash network by ridding wifi?

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
If wifi was better, everyone could get better at a faster pace imo.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Yeah, if wifi was better, not completely taking it off the charts.
Yeah, so what, brawl wifi is crap sometimes, but its better than nothin...

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
I still think Brawl wifi is pretty fun (mainly cuz i gots the best connection ever :D) but there really is something needed to be done here. I would pay $150 to be able to actually speak to the ppl ur brawling. that would be alot more fun. Only problem with that is my mom is rly paranoid and thinks if we talk to ppl using anything other than in person communication that the person will somehow magically find our house and that they will be a murderer or rapist. Pretty stupid if u ask me lol.

I'm troubled by the general disregard Nintendo seems to have for its users. With this game, they have created an online system depriving us of all the things that an online system should have.

Grievances:
Friend Codes/With A Friend - *shudder* I'm not sure who at Nintendo thought this would be a good idea. It's not. 16 random numbers??? There is no way to interact with your friends within the system either. You can't challenge them, you can't message them. You can't play anyone 1 on 1, or in any sort of intentional fashion, unless they are your friend. And they limit you to 64 friends. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. A textbook example of how not to design a system.
Voice Chat - There is none! There is no (good) way to communicate with fellow players. So much of the fun of smash is the feeling of playing a fast paced game with people. Nintendo has managed to take that away.
With Anyone - There is a complete lack of options here. You cannot set it to stock. You cannot play 1v1's. You, have, no, choice. If I play a player I want to play again, I should be able to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I understand that some players may want to play anonymously (that should be an option. what a stunning idea: options!), but making the entire system is anonymous is just ridiculous. I am sick of it. Nintendo continues to infantilize us.
Lag - Lag is a huge issue with this game. Look around this forum: user after user complaining of lag. I have yet to play an online game at a speed where I felt it was enjoyable. And I know my internet is good, low ping latency, static ip, dmz, etc... I'm not asking for anyone to offer suggestions. The problem is with the game/nintendo's network.
Ranking/Tournament/Organized Play of any sort WITHIN the game- There is none. There should be. But that is so far from priority, that I'm not even going to get into it.

The fact is the whole system is incredibly flawed. An online system should allow anyone to jump right into a game without knowing anyone (waiting 3 minutes is annoying, but compared to all the other flaws, I'm willing to let it slide.) Players should be able to TALK to each other. If the players enjoyed the match, they should be able to friend each other. Players should be able to add a friend just by knowing their name, and should be able to message them (audio, or text, or just some sort of CHALLENGE feature) to get a game going. The gameplay should be fast paced, the gameplay should be fun. The gameplay should not feel like the matrix, there should not be HUGE button lag, and it should not be dominated by whoever spams "big" attacks the most. The online play takes ALL the skill out of smash. I have yet to be able to play a game in which I could execute a F-Tilt to U-Smash (with sheik). All advanced play is GONE in online, forcing me to rely on smashes and dash attacks.

How did nintendo manage to mess this up so badly? Every match I play I find myself spending most of the match mentally penning angry letters to Nintendo. I cannot decide which I am more angry about: the poor design of the online system or the unplayablity of the online game. And what really saddens me, is that there are so many people who are passionate about this game. We waited for YEARS for this. They bumped it and bumped it and bumped it. Ever since Melee, I wanted online. XBox had it. PS2 had it. With the next round of consoles, I was excited. I was optimistic. Wii had built in WiFi. But still, Nintendo has managed to screw over all of us. XBL is a sophisticated service that does all this. Whatever the PS3 system is called, from the minimal encounters I have had with it, it seems to satisfy. But Nintendo gives us something called "WFC" which is at least a decade behind. I am disgusted with them. This game is supposed to be their gift to us fans. So why is it that the online system is designed in a way that NO GAMER WANTS?!?! I am angry, frustrated, and disgusted. But more than that, I want the game I deserve! That we, as the community of people who love smash, deserve! If Nintendo allowed its users to patch the game (I know they never would, I'm just making a point), I have no doubts that we would have a fully functional online service. I find this incredibly frustrating and saddening.

So what can we do about it? We need to send a message to Nintendo. What I ask you, fellow board members, to do, is to help me come up with some way to reach Nintendo. Let us brainstorm some strategies to try to make some change. Mass email writing? Continously calling the complaint/comments number? Online petition? I'm not sure what the best method of attack is. What I do know is that there are many, many, many of us frustrated with this game, and we want change. With the online abilities of the Wii, I see no reason why the game cannot be patched (a patch would likely be very small, as it would be only code, no graphics or maps, and thus, could likely fit in the Wii's internal memory. Also, the majority of the "patch" would likely be server-side, meaning nothing would have to be downloaded to the console.) If anyone has any sourced information on the feasibility of patching (Sakurai saying "no DLC" does not count), please post it. Otherwise, please, please, as a community, let us come up with a way to reach Nintendo. Are they likely to do something? Impossible to say. What is definite is that they are more likely to do something if 10 or 100 thousand people complain. All they have for information right now are incredibly high sales numbers. They need to hear our voices.

Smashers, To Arms!!!
I agree with this whole thing 9001%.

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
I agree sooo much with your statement(s). This is why I prefer to have Nintendo charge for online service. Like Mircrosoft, they use that money to improve their online system. Whenever it comes to online gameplay, Xbox Live surpasses all others, hands down.

I prefer paying 40-50 dollars a year for good a good online system than some free crappy one Nintendo has to offer.
This....
Is....
True...

Zair Hidamaru

Smash Journeyman
Many hardcore gamers such as myself also complain about the absebces of these online features. Brawl is a national, if not worldwide, competitive game. Nintendo should have taken this into consideration and made this online a better version of what it is now.

CaptainOlimar123

Smash Journeyman
Friend Codes/With A Friend - *shudder* I'm not sure who at Nintendo thought this would be a good idea. It's not. 16 random numbers??? There is no way to interact with your friends within the system either. You can't challenge them, you can't message them. You can't play anyone 1 on 1, or in any sort of intentional fashion, unless they are your friend. And they limit you to 64 friends. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. A textbook example of how not to design a system.
V
I very much wonder what the people at Nintendo were smoking when they thought of Friend Codes.

Top Bottom