• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ - Official 5.0 RC1 Build is now online! (Re-Use Autoupdater, Snake bug fixed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I don't think GoG knows how bad water stalling is and that currently, leaving it as is, Pirate Ship becomes one of their best CPs for both Ike and Ness (as it was for them in Brawl). Water stalling is the dumbest form of stalling in this game for a number of reasons:

1) Certain characters have a ton of lag upon entering the water, thus if you try to give chase the opponent will simply meteor you if they have an attack like that.

2) Some characters can't compete in the water at all so chasing isn't an option.

3) You can never drown as all you have to do is jump every so often to keep yourself from drowning. There's absolutely no consequence of staying in the water if you're Ike or Ness.

So, as you can see, water stalling becomes a great tactic on Pirate Ship. It's a little less so on Delfino. The reason Jungle Japes needs some kind of change (or characters need less water lag when they enter the water) is because some characters simply cannot exit the water fast enough with our gravity settings + the amount of lag they suffer upon entering the water/exiting the water. Thus, JJ becomes a HUGE CP against these characters and becomes a major weakness for them on that stage. Yes, it's a CP and of course a CP should be used to counterpick a character's weakness but, JJ has the worst water ever. It should be toned down in this regard, it would still be a CP anyway for its high ceiling and death boundaries not to mention how the stage is built anyway.
That's for enlightening me that you have a good understanding of the problem, now will you assure everyone that something will be done about it? The idea that has been floating around would be a good start
If you made water lagless, that'd be a good start.
I tried this and it really doesn't make any difference.
Thanks for assuring me you have no idea what you're talking about. I really, really appreciate it.
You sir win. Having a pile of Banned stages for the lulz truly is the better option.

Revven

FrankerZ
That's for enlightening me that you have a good understanding of the problem, now will you assure everyone that something will be done about it? The idea that has been floating around would be a good start
There's two ideas floating around but I am assuming you mean the moon grav water which we would probably do when we get a code for something like that. Currently, Paprika_Killer has told us that he won't be on for two weeks starting today and Almas is being busy as always so... as you can see getting a code of the like soon is out of the question for the time being.

But, I will see to it something is done about water stalling. No way is that staying in. :mad:

kupo15

Smash Hero
There's two ideas floating around but I am assuming you mean the moon grav water which we would probably do when we get a code for something like that. Currently, Paprika_Killer has told us that he won't be on for two weeks starting today and Almas is being busy as always so... as you can see getting a code of the like soon is out of the question for the time being.

But, I will see to it something is done about water stalling. No way is that staying in. :mad:
That's a relief. Other than the moon gravity one, what is the other idea floating around for it?

Also, isn't it possible to try and ask another hacker on the GSC boards like the good old days?

Revven

FrankerZ
That's a relief. Other than the moon gravity one, what is the other idea floating around for it?

Also, isn't it possible to try and ask another hacker on the GSC boards like the good old days?
1) The one with the floating airship lol (removing the water, freezing the stage)

2) No, most hackers are hacking other games since Brawl has already been hacked to death. As you can see, even PW is basically done with Brawl after PSA was released. spunit is also gone if you haven't noticed.

Only PK and Almas are truly left and I love them both so very much. :)

kupo15

Smash Hero
duh, forgot about the airship. Oh well, at least its nice to hear the moon gravity one will be given a chance. Is it possible to include both versions though? Either through a hold l or by assigning it to another banned stage?

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Can I just say that changes to the stage are worth trying, and if we don't like them, then we can revert them because nightly builds are specifically for testing? I see there's some hesitation to change Pirate Ship but I would like to see it made into (at least) a decent counter pick... if the majority of the community ends up not liking it, then it can be undone.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I have ordered my USB Gecko, not sure how much help I will be until I learn how to use it.

Would you guys be interested in a File Replacement Code mod to load files from an alternate directory?

Heres my problem.
I play Brawl+, and vBrawl.
I play vBrawl with default settings code, replays over 3 minutes, tags in replays, and custom music+info.pac custom music names.

However, Brawl+ now uses .pac files, meaning the files conflict.

Heres my setup now.
I have about 200mb of textures, +CSP's
I have about 700mb of custom songs. +info.pac

I have a modified GeckoOS that loads "BRAWLP.gct".
That GCT has a modified FRC that loads music from the standard directory, but loads everything else from "bp" instead of "pf".

As a result, the only files I have to duplicate in both "pf" and "bp" folders is the info.pac, as I don't like using textures with vBrawl that much anyways.

I just wanted to put this out info out there, ill release my channels I use eventually, and the method to do the FRC mod, but anyone can figure it out, I was at BIO3 and didn't have a code manager app and had to create a GCT from scratch and I realized that it was possible then.

Almas

Smash Lord
Dantarion, I could make use of your coding knowledge. Drop me a line and we'll chat on MSN/AIM.

I'm making my preparations for University right now (lol news), which is basically partying and feeling guilty that I haven't been doing school work/coding work. Honestly, the redundancy of the Clone Engine makes me loathe to fix it - I doubt it will see much use considering PSA is so much more user friendly.

I'm going to try and get myself to port the File Replacement code over the next couple days since I see noone else has done it yet. It's a mammoth code to get done though, and PW used some funky methods to make it all link in together. I can see that being useful for Brawl+. Then if I can motivate myself I think the most important code that Brawl Hacking needs right now in general is one that allows you to load a file with a different name depending on specific circumstances. For example, loading FitWisp.pac instead of FitPurin.pac if the player is wearing the 3rd costume. But I'm really not sure if I'm capable of such a code. I could use Dantarion for that, depending on how deep your knowledge runs =).

For some reason the other day (Saturday night) I couldn't get Brawl+ working. I used the downloader from the website. Just me? I probably made a mistake somewhere. The game was booting including SD Codes Found... but then nothing was active. I didn't have internet access so I couldn't try again. I probably just made a mistake.

This post is so totally off topic. I'm going to give myself a spam infraction.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
EDIT: I guess ill replay to almas instead of flaming that other guy.

I wanna step in and work from where PW left off, I just need to get my USB Gecko in the mail, then im gonna look over all the codes currently included in Brawl+ and try to figure out how most of them work.

I'm used to making codes for emulated systems, and I'm used to debugging/memoryhacking apps on PC, but this will be my first time using a external hardware debugger(if a USBGecko can even be called that)

I wanted to make something where the file replacement code would check two directories for a file, so that if a file isn't used by Brawl+, it could be loaded from another directory, so that Brawl+ could exist in a folder completly by itself.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Dantarion, I could make use of your coding knowledge. Drop me a line and we'll chat on MSN/AIM.

I'm making my preparations for University right now (lol news), which is basically partying and feeling guilty that I haven't been doing school work/coding work. Honestly, the redundancy of the Clone Engine makes me loathe to fix it - I doubt it will see much use considering PSA is so much more user friendly.

I'm going to try and get myself to port the File Replacement code over the next couple days since I see noone else has done it yet. It's a mammoth code to get done though, and PW used some funky methods to make it all link in together. I can see that being useful for Brawl+. Then if I can motivate myself I think the most important code that Brawl Hacking needs right now in general is one that allows you to load a file with a different name depending on specific circumstances. For example, loading FitWisp.pac instead of FitPurin.pac if the player is wearing the 3rd costume. But I'm really not sure if I'm capable of such a code. I could use Dantarion for that, depending on how deep your knowledge runs =).

For some reason the other day (Saturday night) I couldn't get Brawl+ working. I used the downloader from the website. Just me? I probably made a mistake somewhere. The game was booting including SD Codes Found... but then nothing was active. I didn't have internet access so I couldn't try again. I probably just made a mistake.

This post is so totally off topic. I'm going to give myself a spam infraction.
That was an amazingly epic post considering it was your 1337th post Almas. Well done at your results btw.

and omg I didn't know you had a heart transplant? wtf? And you stayed at the hospital in my town where my dad works, EPIC.

D

Deleted member

umm bbrawl got stickied cause its creator is a moderator

ya what i said it everyone else was thinking it

who the **** cares about that **** lmao

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
tbh, I respect BBrawl alot. I was thinking of having it as a side event along side Melee at a regional tourney I'm planning for Brawl+ next year. :V

Almas

Smash Lord
Oh, that was my Leet'th post.

Your mom knows, Will. Ironically.

BBrawl got stickied because it is an official release and an important thread. The Brawlplusery thread is stickied. There are several other Brawl+ threads too. Quit your whining. Now let's get back on topic?

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
I personally think we should have an official Brawl+ Nightly Builds texture pack.

But that's not really that important so yeah....

lucha5

Banned via Warnings
um i hope this is in the right place but im i just got b+ last nite 5.0 and im lovin it but with the sensvity thing handicapped, what % am i suppose to put it on, i know 100%=vbrawl?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I personally think we should have an official Brawl+ Nightly Builds texture pack.

But that's not really that important so yeah....
There is an official texture pack...
Just not filled with the fun stuff because the chance for a minor distraction at a tournament should be helped if possible. It's the one that fixes team colors, like with Sonic and Lucario :V

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Almas/Dantarion:

Tell me when you do change paths/names and I can reconfigure it for another autoupdater accordingly...unless the Brawl+ updater/installer for Wii comes to fruition :p

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Thanks for assuring me you have no idea what you're talking about. I really, really appreciate it.
?

You stated that freezing PC would make it a neutral, not a CP, and I stated that the last thing we need is more neutrals. What is it that I am apparently clueless about?

We have several neutrals, FD, BF, YI, PS2, WW, LC sometimes, and Smashville. That's a nice, odd number for stage striking. Make PC a neutral, you'll need another neutral for stage strikes, and that leaves either Wifi or Deadlands, both of which are FD clones, and thus aren't really good neutrals.

I was simply following up what you said is all. And frankly, effort should be put into making borderline stages less borderline. Like Norfair.

Also, wall locks, really? There's no way we can fix this? Because otherwise Corneria makes for a nice CP.

Fisherington

Smash Cadet
Question: (sorry if asked before)

The updater on the .net site puts PSA files onto your SD card, in the Fighter folder. Now, say I want to play vBrawl or even bBrawl, both with file patch 3.5.1. To what extent do these PSA files affect the gameplay, if at all?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
FD/BF/Pirate Ship/PS2/SV is perfect

Yoshis has debatable neutral status and WW shouldn't be neutral anywhere lol

If you want Yoshis, then add on Lylat Cruise and you have 7. Warioware is definitely not Neutral...it's an excellent CP but not good for a neutral.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Almas/Dantarion:

Tell me when you do change paths/names and I can reconfigure it for another autoupdater accordingly...unless the Brawl+ updater/installer for Wii comes to fruition :p
I need to do some more testing with it before I release anything, and its up to the Brawl+ people to decide if they want to use it. I think they should, its just simpler in the long run.

Right now Brawl+ requires files in a few places on the SD card.
1. sd:/codes/RSBE.gct
This one requires a modified GeckoOS to change the filename/path
2. sd:/gameconfig.txt
This one also requires a modified GeckoOS to embed or change the filename/path
3. sd:/private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/*
This one requires a modified FRC to change.

And of course, GeckoOS 1.9+ is required.
Now, I dislike that using Brawl+ requires me to change the way I have things setup on my SD card for running vBrawl, so I wanted to work on making Brawl+ simpler to install/remove/update.

I have a modified GeckoOS that uses a embedded gameconfig.txt, supports embedding the codeset into the .dol, and soon will support choosing a codeset from a directory. Now, heres where the cool part comes in.

Now, lets just say later on, theres multiple versions of Brawl+ you want to mess around with, or BBrawl starts using PSA .pacs, etc, etc.

Each of these projects could use their own modified FRC code, so that BBrawl pacs could go in /bb/, Brawl+ in /bp/, and vBrawl pacs in /pf/. With a launcher that supports choosing a codeset, this would allow for an unlimited number of codesets+PSA pac sets on one SD card, also making it easy to add/remove Brawl mods as each mod would only exist in /codes/*.gct and /private/wii/app/RSBE/*/

Also, the GeckoOS based launcher could be made to look for GCT's inside /private/wii/app/RSBE/ and then you wouldn't interfere with the /codes/ folder either.

This way Brawl+ would exist as a completely standalone app that wouldn't require modifying files that could potentially conflict with other Brawl mods.

Wow, I wrote a wall of text.

Lucina Clash

Smash Apprentice
Warioware is definitely not Neutral...it's an excellent CP but not good for a neutral.
You realize WarioWare is frozen AND has farther left/right blast zones, right? Why WOULDN'T it be neutral? There is no other way to make it a tournament stage since it's main feature in regular Brawl is its annoying, although entertaining, micro games and rewards for clearing.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
@GHNeko
Not possible, I believe the File Replacement Code conflicts with itself, the Default settings mod SHOULD conflict with itself, info.pac and whatever file has the CSP's is loaded once at startup, etc.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to suggest again something I said like a few hundred pages ago...somebody from the WBR should make an official stage discussion thread and produce an official Brawl+ stage list. That way the discussion in this thread about stages will at least have a starting point to go from, instead of having to waste time arguing things like this here. Having an official list also gives the project a bit more legitimacy.

Also BrawlPlus.net etc. should prominently show people how to do that Brawl+ without Homebrew thing, because there are still a lot of people who think installing B+ will instantly brick their Wii or make them unable to ever play vBrawl again.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I think that Yoshi's Island, Halberd, if it isn't already in B+, AND WarioWare should be CP material. There is just too much camping caused by the poorly set-up platforms.

I mean it's just to easy for people to just crouch at the corners of WarioWare, waiting for you to get in rang for their tilts/projectiles . And Yoshi's Island/Halberd are almost the same, except that you're camping under the middle. Obviously already known, but I remember seeing Halberd listed as a neutral stage, and I was against it.

Once again, I'd like to say how great I find the idea of an airship Pirate Ship. No Water, frozen stage so no stupid hazards, unique platform set-up, and could look really cool with an air pirate ship texture. *CoughSkiesOfArcadiaCough*

I agree with Nybb, that there should be a Stage Discussion topic, as well as a list of the basic Brawl+ ruleset. Legal stage, etc.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
I think that Yoshi's Island, Halberd, if it isn't already in B+, AND WarioWare should be CP material. There is just too much camping caused by the poorly set-up platforms.
Yoshi's is a great Neutral stage, Halberd is def not a Neutral anywhere ive been even in vBrawl, and Wario Ware is debatable. with WW its really up to the TO.

I agree with the camping on WW and Halberd but on Yoshi's the Platform moves up and down on sides so it makes camping under it more difficult and sometimes puts you in bad positions. Plus its an amazing Yoshi stage.

shanus

Smash Hero
I need to do some more testing with it before I release anything, and its up to the Brawl+ people to decide if they want to use it. I think they should, its just simpler in the long run.

Right now Brawl+ requires files in a few places on the SD card.
1. sd:/codes/RSBE.gct
This one requires a modified GeckoOS to change the filename/path
2. sd:/gameconfig.txt
This one also requires a modified GeckoOS to embed or change the filename/path
3. sd:/private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/*
This one requires a modified FRC to change.

And of course, GeckoOS 1.9+ is required.
Now, I dislike that using Brawl+ requires me to change the way I have things setup on my SD card for running vBrawl, so I wanted to work on making Brawl+ simpler to install/remove/update.

I have a modified GeckoOS that uses a embedded gameconfig.txt, supports embedding the codeset into the .dol, and soon will support choosing a codeset from a directory. Now, heres where the cool part comes in.

Now, lets just say later on, theres multiple versions of Brawl+ you want to mess around with, or BBrawl starts using PSA .pacs, etc, etc.

Each of these projects could use their own modified FRC code, so that BBrawl pacs could go in /bb/, Brawl+ in /bp/, and vBrawl pacs in /pf/. With a launcher that supports choosing a codeset, this would allow for an unlimited number of codesets+PSA pac sets on one SD card, also making it easy to add/remove Brawl mods as each mod would only exist in /codes/*.gct and /private/wii/app/RSBE/*/

Also, the GeckoOS based launcher could be made to look for GCT's inside /private/wii/app/RSBE/ and then you wouldn't interfere with the /codes/ folder either.

This way Brawl+ would exist as a completely standalone app that wouldn't require modifying files that could potentially conflict with other Brawl mods.

Wow, I wrote a wall of text.
All in all, I will say a collective "Yes, Plz."

Canit be made to work without homebrew as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom