• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Moveset Discussion Week 3: Up Tilt

Status
Not open for further replies.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
i dont use utilt that often...i feel like its use in melee greatly deteriorated in brawl :\ SAKURAIIIII

its good for other chars who stay in the air alot (wario), i guess...

EWING

Smash Apprentice
School: Nashville, TN Home: Long Island, NY
When I just got started learning the Puff I thought that the utilt would be one of her better ground moves, but then I started to see how really limited it is.

The knockback at low %s puts them just out of range so that you can't string them together, unless they're either at 0% or they're a heavy character. Its range (behind Jiggs, not above) is horrid. Absolutely terrible. It also seems to have a very limited hitbox from behind Puff, because there are times when I've used it and completely whiffed when I'm pretty sure it looks like the leg went through my opponent. It also has **** priority.

However, it comes out very quickly. It's decent to get people into the air (where Jiggs wants them) when you don't have time for a usmash. It seems to hit a lot more consistently when they're above you, and I've found that it hits a lot more when you do it twice in a row (opponents are usually tricked by how quick it comes out).

Overall, it has its uses, but they're really limited.

rinoH

Smash Lord
Great for setting up for a rest or another utilt at low percents. Also can be used can be followed up by Uair if used right. Though like EWING said above it has horrible range and should only really be used when to punish someone who rolls behind you. To me i rather use a short hop Uair.

DJ Kat

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I ever use it for is K.O.'ing Kirby and Meta-Knight if they're, like, 110% and not dead yet. >_>

Glick's Fast-falled Uair > UTilt is nice, and sometimes is a combo in training mode. If not, you can throw in a USmash and it's also a real combo in training mode. ..But seriously, who approaches with Uair, and the freakin' "combo ability" ends at 31% T_T

*Shrugs*

Glick

Smash Lord
Up tilt is beast guys.

Up air up tilt should be your approach if their at zero. THE UP TILT ALWAYS LANDS. Even on jigglypuff!

Use it.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
U-tilt is great. Its the polar opposite of d-tilt. I have tap jump on which makes it harder to use. But dont flame me for using tap jump. I can still use it. If you have tap jump on, try dashing, and then using a u-tilt to see if you can use it out orf a dash. All you need is timing.
U-tilt into rest does not work anymore, but if you try airdodging at them and then resting , you may avoind an attack and land it. That needs testing. stoping dash attacks, double u-tilt is a juggle.... ect. It has a lot of uses. Big hitbox as well

MrEh

Smash Hero
Utilt into Rest is beastly. LOL INSTANT KILL!!!

In all seriousness though, the hitbox sucks. Big time. I'm actually doing some hitbox testing right now, and the Utilt makes me fiercely angry.

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
Yep, the utilt is not her best move, but it can be used when the opponent rolls behind you into the ledge, and therefore the utilt comes out faster then they can respond after the roll. Of course if you do this to much they will just keep the shield and grab you.

On a random side note my friend got so confused with this trick that he realized what was about o happen and rolled BACK to where he started from, of course right into my quite similar roll and rest.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
U-tilt is pretty good but not nearly nearly as good as melee. Like not nearly as good. Pivoting quickly can help you turn quickly to use the longer side, and it is a good move. However, be careful using it. Its the least punishable of all her tilts but still not great. Hitbox takes a while too.

TheStig

Smash Lord
i think uptilt and upsmash KO at around the same percentages

i like using bair -> upair -> uptilt at low percentages

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Meh, it gets them in the air. The hitbox is terrible. Can't juggle very much. Just good to use if you don't think bair is fast enough. They never see it coming though.

Tham

Smash Apprentice
i think its good low percentage combo starter
e.g. sh falling pound utilt
but i think sh rising pound uair is the better way

Glick

Smash Lord
i think its good low percentage combo starter
e.g. sh falling pound utilt
but i think sh rising pound uair is the better way
One of my staple combos is rising pound to falling up air to up tilt. The up air isn't a true combo but it hits a lot of the time.

Tham

Smash Apprentice
The up air isn't a true combo but it hits a lot of the time.
of course its not^^

its hard to find real combos in brawl

but utilt and uair are imo good for a opponent who is shrot shocked and doesnt know what to do (best case: utilt uair uair rest or something like that xD)

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying u-tilt more, I'm kinda diggin' it though.
you have to precise to hit with it, cause pause after use is punishable.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Sometimes I use my old habit from Melee with the FF Dair > Utilt if I land on the right side.

Also, just out of curiousity, why are all of the move discussions divided into a different thread each week instead of just one whole thread. Makes it a little harder to find things..

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Sometimes I use my old habit from Melee with the FF Dair > Utilt if I land on the right side.

Also, just out of curiousity, why are all of the move discussions divided into a different thread each week instead of just one whole thread. Makes it a little harder to find things..
Good idea, I'll link the discussions to the main thread I think.....

Glick

Smash Lord
of course its not^^

its hard to find real combos in brawl

but utilt and uair are imo good for a opponent who is shrot shocked and doesnt know what to do (best case: utilt uair uair rest or something like that xD)
No no no.

I meant upair out of pound isn't a true combo.

Upair to up tilt is a true combo.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I use utilt then either usmash (if its at 0% or low %), utilt into chained uairs into rest (escapable, thank you sakurai >_>) , or utilt to put them above me for a WoP of fairs

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
This thread made me play melee and practice u-tilt into rest and juggles on a cpu. i noticed the AI was a lot better in melee. They can ****ing combo you.
Sakurai: *laughs*

PND

Smash Champion
This thread made me play melee and practice u-tilt into rest and juggles on a cpu. i noticed the AI was a lot better in melee. They can ****ing combo you.
Sakurai: *laughs*
lolwut?

Melee
Step 1: Start Match with any level CPU
Step 2: Charge Forward Smash
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: Profit!

Arcrandom

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5058-0892
I rarely use it, because of its hitbox behind her