• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl - More balanced than Melee? Lie or truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah, I knew figured it had something to do with the c-stick then. Anyways, infinite stall = banned

IDK

Smash Lord
i think in some ways yes but some, no. brawl is much slower for that matter, and combos are much less in the game as they were before. if you describe it in the ability to fight back, brawl wins. with melee fox could wave shine infinite and you were screwed. however IC can still 0 death anyone inescapably, and IMO more easily. also, ken combo was inescapable (i think).

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Infinite stall is banned.
But I have a question.
For how long are the allowed to stall per say before it becomes illegal?
Or is it that anytime that is seen that you are lengthening the grounded dimensional ITS ILLEGAL?

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
Infinite stall is banned.
But I have a question.
For how long are the allowed to stall per say before it becomes illegal?
Or is it that anytime that is seen that you are lengthening the grounded dimensional ITS ILLEGAL?
That's difficult to define simply because if you put a time limit on it, you can just press the limit (if stalling for 2:00 is illegal, then I'll do it for 1:59). Therefore, you can't really put a time limit on stalling. That's why stages with loops are banned.

I think if it seems like you are trying to stall, it should be illegal. But because the definition of stalling is vague, it's easier to ban stages & techniques that make "stalling" easily exploitable.

maximuspita

Smash Ace
Hello Yuna. Great thread you got here. Would it be too much to ask if you could update your OP with common arguments that Brawl is more balanced than Melee and their refutations?

I don't expect an exhaustive list but common and recurring arguments would stop people from repeating debates that have already been settled. That and also I kind of do not want to go through 200 pages to read the arguments.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
On an old topic - here's a Captain Falcon video of the character strining moves together.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jqnqPGFi2uc&feature=related

This is not an endorsement of the character. It simply demonstraites how the Falcon fights - by taking advantage of his speed and comparison to Gannondorf to take opponents by surprise, and net them into a string of attacks before the opponent realizes the need to DI.

If these strings happen to you, you are really not a very good player.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This video is merely for entertainment purposes.
These combos are done in training mode on a computer that does not shield, air dodge, DI, or attack. They will not work otherwise.
If you don't DI, your controller must be unplugged. Everyone DIs.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Combo vids are a lot more entertaining if the other person fights back. I realize there is a disclaimer saying its a cpu not doing this but that vid got old quick or maybe it was just the Soulja Boiii **** that ruined it along with Travis Barker's ****ty touch ups.

To your point THC. Falcon does NOT fight like this since it'll never work as you and the vid both said. This is how Falcon would fight if hitstun wasn't removed. He isn't taking advantage of his speed here since most of the time he is in the air and his air momentum is completely nerfed. His actually taking advantage of his many low knockback moves that can be chained together.

Also your initials THC are like The Hotel California THC which is supposedly a connection to the THC in marijuana. Any connection Captain? This might explain some of your posts. lol jk

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
Of all the vids you could dig up to link to try to give CF credibility, that was one of the worst ones. That video showed what falcon could do against a player when their controller was unplugged, but as soon as you plug that mess back in falcon sucks.

If you're going to argue, argue well.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
On an old topic - here's a Captain Falcon video of the character strining moves together.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jqnqPGFi2uc&feature=related

This is not an endorsement of the character. It simply demonstraites how the Falcon fights - by taking advantage of his speed and comparison to Gannondorf to take opponents by surprise, and net them into a string of attacks before the opponent realizes the need to DI.

If these strings happen to you, you are really not a very good player.
You're trying to do what with this video? You yourself admit that you suck if you get hit by the BS in this video. So what is the point of bringing it up?! How is it relevant to the topic at hand?!

Banned via Administration
first off how many ****ign times do i have to hear that god **** music in a smash vid? is every smash player some ****ing hyper***got who loves listening to super ****ty japanese video game music? second off, everything in that vid is possible in melee, but is harder.

LinkSceptile333

Smash Journeyman
here is how i see it.

remember when smash 64 came out? everyone was like, "this game is really fun! but there was one problem with it. it was too cheap. the items were overpowered and it was too easy. all you have to do is throw them off the stage constantly and they'll die.

in melee, they took out this problem by nerfing the imbalanced characters, making items useless, weakening throws, and adding advanced techniques. this made the game much more skillful and balanced since there werent any cheap characters.

in brawl, they took out the advanced techniques, made items stronger, and brought back the concept of imbalanced characters. this made the game imbalanced and melee is therefore better and more balanced.
Your argument with Items is useless. Most tournament have items banned, well, at least the good tourneys. And they had a Starman in Melee, so how can that be useless? And taking out advanced techinques doesn't make the game less balanced. And who's going to get grabbed by people all the time?

>__>_

-Big_-Blue 9

Smash Journeyman
You are right Yuna. That last video was awful, and I am not sure why I thought it was a good idea to bring it up. I have a new video that better shows Captain Falcon's playstyle.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PdHIB__ADjw&feature=related

Notice how Falcon uses the speed of his aerials to hit startled opponents.
Still, it doesn't live up to the triple knee in melee.
although the clip does point out the obvious way people should play brawl falcon

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Ignore the tripping. The second Falcon video was no more than a guide to how Falcon should be and is played. It is not about the merits of the video in so far as comboing is concerned.

Fletch

Smash Master
Ignore the tripping. The second Falcon video was no more than a guide to how Falcon should be and is played. It is not about the merits of the video in so far as comboing is concerned.
I still don't think that that particular video proves anything, it's just a minute montage of random Falcon stuff that I would hardly call "combos".

IrArby

Smash Ace
That vid are teh gay sex.

Falcon dittos certainly don't prove that Falcon fights this way or that. The Falcon Lucario and Link clips just look as if the other players forgot they were playing Brawl and could Air Spot Dodge at any time.

In reality, Falcon's best move . . . is the Dsmash.

Azuro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THTB614
Brawl is fairly unbalanced. I don't know how much compared to Melee, since I hadn't caught onto it, but I know, for the most part, it doesn't have stellar balance. Isn't to say it's terrible, just not as much as it was believed to be around the release of the game.

I don't play the game at a tournament level, but I do follow the metagame a bit. The gaps between the tiers is fairly significant enough to say that some characters have a snowball's chance in hell of winning many matches against better characters consistently.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You are right Yuna. That last video was awful, and I am not sure why I thought it was a good idea to bring it up. I have a new video that better shows Captain Falcon's playstyle.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PdHIB__ADjw&feature=related

Notice how Falcon uses the speed of his aerials to hit startled opponents.
Worthless strings against worthless players by a worthless player (because he used such worthless strings). My god, stop this, please. The strings in that video would barely work in Melee, never mind Brawl!

What's up with that "highlight reel", anyway?! He's trying to prove Captain Falcon still ***** and that's (less than 1 minute of footage, by the way) was the best he could come up with?! BS idiots who need to GFTO Youtube. I've seen way too many people post worthless Youtube videos as proof of "still ******" characters.

The Myk

Smash Rookie
Of course Brawl is more balanced than Melee. Everyone has their weaknesses from other characters, new characters bring in more oppurtunities and game into...well, the game!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Of course Brawl is more balanced than Melee. Everyone has their weaknesses from other characters, new characters bring in more oppurtunities and game into...well, the game!
Please form real arguments before posting in this thread.

On another note, wherever did that dashing gentleman who claimed Peach possesses at one 0-death combo go?

The Myk

Smash Rookie
Well. Let's bring up the heat, then.

Brawl has fair balance when you are trying to compare characters to characters on whether or not they can be played equally by people with equal skills. When I mean fair balance, I do not mean perfect balance! Perfect balance would mean constant sudden death matches, even though that happens most of the time with me. There is some flaws with the speed characters and the powerhouses. Oh, and those characters who can FLY.
Speed characters usually ARE the powerhouses, since they can hit and run without even a graze. When someone like Ganon is trying to hit Pit, it's sad to see his constant slowness be ridiculed by Pit's oh-so-darn-deflective mirror shield.

Wait. Why am I bringing up Pit? He's very unbalanced, and the scales usually tip in his favor in many battles. I can only see him losing when fighting another player of equivalent skill who will do anything to clip off those wings of his. But then again, he's knocked out to the side easily...so I guess that's in favor? Yes. No. Maybe so.

Point is, speed characters got a little treat in this game, to further their sweet tooth. The powerhouses were told to stay off the soda.

Fawriel

Smash Master
This didn't even make sense on a grammatical level.

I then noticed that you posted again.
And I still have no idea what you are trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom