• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl - More balanced than Melee? Lie or truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
heres what i think... if the game really is THAT unbalenced, which i dont think that it is, than the best way to show that is to show us the real deference in the tiers. which is to say take chars with pretty neutral matchups in the highest and lowest tiers and play them against one another. ex. we all know what would happen if two ppl at equal skills were to play a match in melee, and 1 person played pichu and mew2, and the other played marth and fox. thats how big the difference in the tier was. if the first person got more than 1 stock off player two, he could consider himself very lucky. now redo the experiment with brawl. player 1 plays yoshi and ganon (im guessing the two worst so far) and player 2 plays marth and TL. it doesnt seem like player two will win as decisively as in melee (or at all) but putting the best against the worst is the only way to determine exactly how far apart the tiers are

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Yuna please post your thoughts about what I posted here.
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4070048&postcount=250

I don't think we should look into tiers yet. Sure we should monitor the char choices and chars winning and matchups. But I'm way more interested in the styles of play of the characters and I think we need to research that aspect. The more unique these styles of play become the harder it gets for 1 char to be better then the other. But if you would have have 3 chars which are mostly the same one will probably turn out to be the best. It's more varied in brawl and I think you really can't get an idea of the balance unless you understand the way each char is supposed to be played the most efficient.

Also that tier list is ******** Yuna I don't get at all how you reach it. I hear al kinds of different opinions one guy sees metaknight as best others see DDD as best. Besides that you put jiggly at bottom tier cause she got nerfed but brawl changed agreat deal anyway and the game got more arial based so jiggly suits it really well. Shieks fair got nerfed but since you reach 180 % more often in this game it's still strong when it has too be so you have to take that in consideration. I mostly consider her needle game and recovery nerfed but the chain makes up for some. But it's all guesses at this state.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think we should look into tiers yet. Sure we should monitor the char choices and chars winning and matchups. But I'm way more interested in the styles of play of the characters and I think we need to research that aspect. The more unique these styles of play become the harder it gets for 1 char to be better then the other. But if you would have have 3 chars which are mostly the same one will probably turn out to be the best. It's more varied in brawl and I think you really can't get an idea of the balance unless you understand the way each char is supposed to be played the most efficient.
I'm just discussing if there's overall more balance in the game. The tiers are really just general terms of how balanced the game is, not a definite "These are the best!"-etc. and I'm not seeking such a discussion (yet). I just want to see if people think the game's more balanced or not.

Also that tier list is ******** Yuna I don't get at all how you reach it. I hear al kinds of different opinions one guy sees metaknight as best others see DDD as best.
And? I'm sure you've heard people say Roy is better than Marth as well. Why is my tierlist ******** because some guy somewhere might've said that DeDeDe is Top Tier (which he isn't)?

Besides that you put jiggly at bottom tier cause she got nerfed but brawl changed agreat deal anyway and the game got more arial based so jiggly suits it really well.
It's more aerial based, and? A lot of characters were aerially based in Melee as well. Jiggly can be really good in the air and still not be that good if everyone else is better.

I'll admit to being too harsh on her, though. Jigglypuff is hereby, at least for the moment, moved up to "Blah"-tier.

Shieks fair got nerfed but since you reach 180 % more often in this game it's still strong when it has too be so you have to take that in consideration. I mostly consider her needle game and recovery nerfed but the chain makes up for some. But it's all guesses at this state.
Umm... you do know about Stale Move Reduction, right? Just don't spam the same attacks over and over and no one's going to survive a strong aerial at 180%.

Also, there are those who can kill way before 180% (or 150% for that matter). Those have something called KO-ability, something that's vital in this game.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
As of now I think this game is more balanced cause of the following:
Each character seems more unique in comparison to melee. What I mean with this is that each characters requires a different style of play that is effective for that character. It is noticable in their attacks and lag times so on.
Does not mean more balance. It means each character is more unique.

In melee chars were varied but if you knew 1 style of play most of the time you could get away with using it with most other chars ( not all I know ). Not saying that would be the most effective but in brawl chars have more unique characteristics to them.
Does not make it more balanced. Makes it more varied. And I don't know about you, but playing Sheik the same way you played Peach sucked. Trust me, that's how I play Sheik. It sucks.

Let me name 10 characters with unique playing styles in Melee:
Peach
Sheik
Fox
Falco
Marth
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Zelda

Whoops, 10 already? I could go on. They all have styles that are distinctly different from each other.

Like diddy for example has moves that are suitable for following up setups. However since he has bananas he doesn't have a lot of moves that work well to approach. So you have to setup using banana's, fake out people to create openings. After he has a opening he can get quite some comboes going but diddy can't use his arials for a lot of shield pressuring ( although bair might be usefull). His approaching attacks have a pretty low priority and knockback so most chars can counter diddy if he attacks straight on.
And?

This is different in comparison with sonic for example who is more attack head on oriented and has the moves to suit this ( and can use his upb to get fast kills from juggles).
Slower chars in exchange have moves that are really suitable for punishing ( Mis a attack vs ike and you can expect one hell of a blow) or countering attacks but most of them have 1 fast move for approaching as well so they aren't out of options when there opponent starts shielding. Also if they hit a shield with a strong attack the shielder slided too far back to shieldgrab(unless perfect shielded or they spaced it really badly)
And?

Also since shield pressuring isn't as reliable as it is in melee it doesn't give slow chars a huge disadvantage.
Yes it does. Because no L-canceling = No safety. The slow ones are the ones who also lag the most. They have no safe approach because of the new shielding mechanics. You don't even have to powershield to punish a Ganondorf unless he auto-cancels and even then he can't really do anything if he's facing a good shieldhop-fair character.

So yeah cause each char requires a more unique playing style I can't spot one best char as of now which makes the game more balanced in my opinion. The more chars play similiar to each other the sooner you find one of the 2 chars which is just better then the other but I don't see that with this game.
More unique playing styles = More unique playing styles

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
I really hate the "wait it out and see" approach to debates, as it seems like a cop out. Just base your argument off of what is currently known.
I don't really understand. You're asking people to make a judgment on something they don't have the information on; it's not a cop out, it's an admission of ignorance (which is not inherently a bad thing).

The competitive scene hasn't even opened up yet for Brawl, whereas Melee has had six years to mature. When it comes to "game balance", you need that kind of exposure to sift through the assumptions and guesswork. Heck, I know most of you remember what kind of assumptions were made in the early days of Melee; people were claiming Ganondorf was broken and Marth was barely a blip on the radar.

I mean, we could sit here and argue what we've seen of Brawl and compare it to something like Melee, but only one side of that argument has any substance beyond simple speculation. Speculation is fine and dandy, but it isn't going to lead us to any truths about where the games stand in relation to each other.

Point being, arguments that are made today are not going to hold any weight when they're not drawn from logical conclusion; logic is pretty good at letting you know when you don't have the right information to finish your equation. People are pretty good at making that mistake, but I don't think it was any great aspiration to be the guy that claimed he was certain that the Sun revolved around the Earth.

As long as people understand that, speculate away. Just don't get ahead of yourself in debating the aspects you "know" instead of what you're hypothesizing.

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
This very much depends on how you perceive "balance."

Yuna seems to believe that the "balance" of a game is the distance between the "bad" characters and the "good" characters. This is a fine metric to use, and under this metric Brawl is probably less balanced simply because it has more characters. As you increase the number of characters, it is only natural that the distance between the best and the worst gets bigger.

For me, however, "balance" is determined by the number of viable options - namely, the number of characters that aren't on a noticeably unlevel playing field against the best characters. In this sense, Brawl seems more balanced than Melee.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
I'm just waiting to see tournament results once Brawl has been released.

On a side note, adding more unique characters typically makes games less balanced. After all, a game would be perfectly balanced if all characters were the same. The complexity of balancing a game increases exponentially every time a unique trait is added.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This very much depends on how you perceive "balance."

Yuna seems to believe that the "balance" of a game is the distance between the "bad" characters and the "good" characters. This is a fine metric to use, and under this metric Brawl is probably less balanced simply because it has more characters. As you increase the number of characters, it is only natural that the distance between the best and the worst gets bigger.
Balance in fighting games is the gap between each and every character, not just the best and worst.

More character =/= less balance. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core has more characters than the original Guilty Gear. Doesn't mean it's not more balanced. If the makers know what they're doing, balance can be acheived even with more characters.

For me, however, "balance" is determined by the number of viable options - namely, the number of characters that aren't on a noticeably unlevel playing field against the best characters. In this sense, Brawl seems more balanced than Melee.
That's a part of balance.

RDK

Smash Hero
Yuna's rapid double-posting FTW.

On a side note, adding more unique characters typically makes games less balanced. After all, a game would be perfectly balanced if all characters were the same. The complexity of balancing a game increases exponentially every time a unique trait is added.
Finally! Someone who actually knows what we're talking about.

More characters (therefore more variables) = the game being potentially less balanced.

Also, has anyone taken note that some characters can K.O. at as low as 60%, while others, like Metaknight, can't K.0. to save their lives?

S2

Smash Lord
Yuna's right, balance refers to the gaps between characters.

To be honest, its good to question Brawl's balance. And after only a month of import play, I don't think its possible to say how balanced its going to be. Melee changed a lot over the years (although it was mostly the higher tier characters swapping possitions).

From what I've played of the import... the general balance is better. That is, the balance between high end of the tier list is and the low end is smaller. For now.

It probably feels this way because the lower end characters last time are significantly better (like Zelda, Bowser, etc). And the top tiers from before have initial nerfs.

But to be fair, whether the game is determined balanced will probably just come down to how big the gap is between any given character and the top tiers. If for example, the top 5 characters are grossly overpowered compared to the other 30... it won't matter if the other 30 are perfectly balanced... tournament play will still come down to those 5.

So yeah, I'm not going to make a balance call until people have the game for a little while (US version, so its lots of people we know). From what I played, Marth/Fox/Olimar all feel very promising.

The game initially feels better balanced than Melee, but the true balance will come out as we start getting tournament results.

SanjiWatsuki

Smash Cadet

Quoted for truth.

This post explains some very strong reasons in a short concise manner.

e319

Smash Apprentice
Well, I don't have it yet (I plan on getting it SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!) but from what I hear, they've taken the brocken characters like fox and "fixed" them to kinda make things more even.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I'm just discussing if there's overall more balance in the game. The tiers are really just general terms of how balanced the game is, not a definite "These are the best!"-etc. and I'm not seeking such a discussion (yet). I just want to see if people think the game's more balanced or not.
And I say you can't right now cause you don't know how each char plays efficiently.

And? I'm sure you've heard people say Roy is better than Marth as well. Why is my tierlist ******** because some guy somewhere might've said that DeDeDe is Top Tier (which he isn't)?
It's just as retarted as the other people stating DDD is broken or roy best. Also thats not the reason why I think it's ********. Any tier list made right now is ******** though cause most good players are still heavily used to a melee mind set. I guess I call it ******** cause I don't think 3 chars are better then all the others right now.

It's more aerial based, and? A lot of characters were aerially based in Melee as well. Jiggly can be really good in the air and still not be that good if everyone else is better.

I'll admit to being too harsh on her, though. Jigglypuff is hereby, at least for the moment, moved up to "Blah"-tier.
Airal is combat is different now since there are a lot of arial fights in melee you approach from the air but it's close to the ground. With chars like pit and meta knight and DDD and kirby you actually have air battles.

Umm... you do know about Stale Move Reduction, right? Just don't spam the same attacks over and over and no one's going to survive a strong aerial at 180%.

Also, there are those who can kill way before 180% (or 150% for that matter). Those have something called KO-ability, something that's vital in this game.
Yes but if you don't spam shieks fair it's still pretty strong. It doesn't turn sheik in a crap character. Also KO ability doesn't just ahve to come from high knockback. Certain chars actually are more efficient going off stage and working there opponents to the borders. Others use projectiles to prevent people from recovering. There's ton's of stuff like this and yet you still say it's almost impossible to KO in this game.

Does not mean more balance. It means each character is more unique.

Which is crucial for a good balance. The more chars are similiar the more likely there is something like the best route for that playing style is found which makes that char better then the others chars. It's why pichu was worse then pikachu for example. There fairly similiar but the other didn't make up for the difference.

Also regarding the char list you posted I said not all. I know you don't play fox like falco but the way you approach is more similar then it is with fox and falco in brawl. They play very different from each other now.

The example I gave of sonic and diddy and ganondorf was to demonstrate the different approached you should take for chars and that slow chars haven't grown to be bottom tier at all. They make up for a lot by the rediculous knockback they have.

Yes it does. Because no L-canceling = No safety. The slow ones are the ones who also lag the most. They have no safe approach because of the new shielding mechanics. You don't even have to powershield to punish a Ganondorf unless he auto-cancels and even then he can't really do anything if he's facing a good shieldhop-fair character.
It's cause they have a counter style. They take hits to get there own or block to create openings and such. They still have offensive options but you should hit a shield straight on with it. This is what is so different from melee's metagame. You shouldn't be hitting shields as much as you did in melee anymore. Also you can't grab a ganondorf if he spaces well and you don't powershield cause he sends you too far back. And this is true for a lot of the stronger chars.

More unique playing styles = More unique playing styles
More unique playing styles is less likelyness that one char has moveset that fits the game best thus less of a chance of having one broken char. If there's 3 chars that play like falco and 1 has stronger moves then the others but isn't much more different then the stronger version is the best option to go. If however the falco's vary in attack strategies and each have unique aspects for exploiting openings or creating openings then it's less likely that 1 is better then the rest.

I'm not stating there are no counters in this game but I haven't found 1 char that overpowers each char or has no disadvantages ( while sheik was such a char).

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
Balance in fighting games is the gap between each and every character, not just the best and worst.
OK, you've stated your position and I've stated mine. For clarity's sake, I believe:

* A game's balance is determined ONLY by the characters near the top.

You believe (correct me if I'm wrong):

* A game's balanced is determined by the distance between EVERY character.

So now, my question is: can you come up with a rational argument for why your view of balance is better than mine? Because I can.

Imagine two fighting games: A and B. These games are identical in all respects, except for one thing: game B has single additional character that is pure, unplayable garbage. The character is so terrible that no one will ever consider playing him in a serious match where money is on the line.

My argument is, from a competitive standpoint, games A and B are the same game. The character does not affect the game in any perceivable way, because no one will ever play him. The best player in the world at game A will be the best player in the world at game B. In other words, the terrible character did not affect game balance at all.

This phenomenon can easily be seen in Magic: the Gathering. In the game, you are essentially taking what you consider to be the 60 best cards in the set and putting them in a deck (this is somewhat of an over-generalization, but bear with me). Because of this, people consider a balanced set to be one where all the most powerful cards are relatively equal to each other. No one looks at the power of the trash cards as an indicator of balance, because no one will ever play them in a competitive format.

A similar thing happens in fighting tournaments. Assuming the player is playing to win, he will pick the character that gives him the greatest possible chance of winning the tournament. As such, he will almost always be picking from the top echelon of characters.

Yuna said:
More character =/= less balance. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core has more characters than the original Guilty Gear. Doesn't mean it's not more balanced. If the makers know what they're doing, balance can be acheived even with more characters.
More characters => less balance is a general statistical trend, not a deterministic rule. Yes, there are exceptions, but the general rule is that one can expect more characters to mean more of a difference in power between the characters. Brawl does not seem to be an exception to this trend.

JEW RAG

Smash Rookie
i think the flaw in ur logic is the fact that people will play the garb *** character so the game isn't necessarily the same, i mean how many people still used bottom tier in melee?

so u can't say it's only based on top tier characters, if it was, then it obviously shows the game is unbalanced. Also the fact that low tier can beat some top tier depending on the match up and the fact that this doesn't happen in brawl is evident

actually, it is a deterministic rule for More Characters => Less Balance, all the developers have to do is just test the characters and improve tidbits, but they don't. The developers determine wither or not a character is any good at all not by a statistic saying that a game of this many characters = more differences in power (aka more bad characters)

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
i think the flaw in ur logic is the fact that people will play the garb *** character so the game isn't necessarily the same, i mean how many people still used bottom tier in melee?
How many people used a bottom tier and won, at the highest level of competitive play?

Hell, how many people used a bottom tier at the highest level of competitive play, period?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Depends on what you count as "winning".

If you mean getting first, then sure. But using a garbage character and plowing through the brackets against characters that outclass you in every way to get 5th place counts as a win in my book

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
Depends on what you count as "winning".

If you mean getting first, then sure. But using a garbage character and plowing through the brackets against characters that outclass you in every way to get 5th place counts as a win in my book
One could argue that smashing noobs with a low-tier character is "winning," but few would argue that it would be at the highest level of competitive play.

An important thing to keep in mind is that tiers (and, consequently, balance) are not determined by the top 10% or even top 1% of the population that plays the game. They are proven by the best of the best of the best, the top tenth of a tenth of a percent.

Froilen

Smash Apprentice
I just realized "Brawl - More balanced than Melee? Lie or truth?" how a question can be a lie or be the truth?:confused::confused::confused:

RDK

Smash Hero
OK, you've stated your position and I've stated mine. For clarity's sake, I believe:

So now, my question is: can you come up with a rational argument for why your view of balance is better than mine? Because I can.

Imagine two fighting games: A and B. These games are identical in all respects, except for one thing: game B has single additional character that is pure, unplayable garbage. The character is so terrible that no one will ever consider playing him in a serious match where money is on the line.

My argument is, from a competitive standpoint, games A and B are the same game. The character does not affect the game in any perceivable way, because no one will ever play him. The best player in the world at game A will be the best player in the world at game B. In other words, the terrible character did not affect game balance at all.

This phenomenon can easily be seen in Magic: the Gathering. In the game, you are essentially taking what you consider to be the 60 best cards in the set and putting them in a deck (this is somewhat of an over-generalization, but bear with me). Because of this, people consider a balanced set to be one where all the most powerful cards are relatively equal to each other. No one looks at the power of the trash cards as an indicator of balance, because no one will ever play them in a competitive format.

A similar thing happens in fighting tournaments. Assuming the player is playing to win, he will pick the character that gives him the greatest possible chance of winning the tournament. As such, he will almost always be picking from the top echelon of characters.
You're not looking at it in the right statistical light, though. Yuna's point is still valid when he says that the balance is determined by the distance between EVERY character.

Your point about games A and B is somewhat of a strawman argument, as it would never happen in real life, and there's no fighting game like that to date. Applying logic like that to Brawl doesn't work when we know for a fact that balance is determined by the ability gaps between characters in both previous installments of the Smash franchise.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
How many people used a bottom tier and won, at the highest level of competitive play?

Hell, how many people used a bottom tier at the highest level of competitive play, period?
It should be noted that people like Chu-dat would often pull out low or even bottom tier characters like Y.Link and G&W for even the highest level tourney's when he felt that his IC's weren't up to it. This is because in Melee, no character was unplayable, no character was unbeatable and no match-up was impossible. Low tier characters can act as very reliable secondaries or even mains as many people are unfamiliar with the match-up.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
I agree with yuna point.

A game is unbalanced when you can't play with most characters/things competitively. Magic is meant to be unbalanced: Is a TGC, and naturally the rare cards are better than the commons. But in a game were all the chacters are just common, that means also all the characters have to been balanced.

What you said of the character pure garbain is really unbalance.

Edit: but i think brawl is more balanced than melee, that's for sure. In melee, you can only use the power 5. In brawl i think you won't have to play the power tier for ve competitive.

SanjiWatsuki

Smash Cadet

More characters => less balance is a general statistical trend, not a deterministic rule. Yes, there are exceptions, but the general rule is that one can expect more characters to mean more of a difference in power between the characters. Brawl does not seem to be an exception to this trend.
I can see where you're coming from with your points. The thing is that you can't just throw around scenarios to prove your point. For example, if I wanted to say that less distance from all characters would make a more balanced game I could do this.

Game A has 3 top tier characters that are near perfectly balanced. Game B has 20 somewhat balanced characters, like the difference between top tier and high tier.

Looking at the situation this way can put distance between all characters in a more favorable light.

ChewyChase

Smash Cadet
Instead of making half of a post a quote, why not tell your point and leave it at that?

I also find it funny nobody has picked at my opinion... I was thinking, flame fest, flamezorz!, as I wrote it.

Balance is determined by the players, and how they use what they are given.

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if it is balanced or not, but Sakuri certainly tried his best to balance it out. A lot of the higher tiers from Melee have been reduced to ****. Sheik's AFA is gone, as is Falco's shine. Making Brawl slightly slower, the auto Up B sweetspots, and many other contributing factors make the game less offensive. I think that at this point in time, Brawl appears to be somewhat more balanced, but it has come at our expense.

RDK

Smash Hero
I don't know if it is balanced or not, but Sakuri certainly tried his best to balance it out. A lot of the higher tiers from Melee have been reduced to ****. Sheik's AFA is gone, as is Falco's shine. Making Brawl slightly slower, the auto Up B sweetspots, and many other contributing factors make the game less offensive. I think that at this point in time, Brawl appears to be somewhat more balanced, but it has come at our expense.
Turning the Power 5 into **** this time around doesn't make for a more balanced game. You're thinking in terms of Melee-to-Brawl characters. You have to think Brawl-to-Brawl characters.

Comparing the two games isn't the right way to look at it. Instead of saying "Mario sucks this time around because _____ " is wrong thinking, because we should instead be comparing Mario to every other character in Brawl, not the other way around.

Fawriel

Smash Master
The sad thing is that this could have been so easily averted if Sakurai had gotten some decent beta-testers. You know, like, say, Halo.
We wouldn't even have needed a lot of time, and it's not hard to figure out that some characters are better and some worse. You can simply compare characters with similar play-styles. I dare you to find an advantage Ganondorf has that Ike doesn't.

Replacement100

Smash Apprentice
"Possibly Amazing Tier"-yeah. He is possibly Amazing Tier. But I put him in Great tier. I just meant that he's close to Amazing from what we know insofar. But if we find out more, then his place will change.

Still doesn't change the fact that I put him in Great Tier and not Amazing Tier because that's where I feel he belongs at the current metagame.

The IC's is a maybe because I'm not sure about them. I tried the chaingrab out and couldn't do and maybe I just suck. I'll research it more. It looked guaranteed but I don't know enough about it yet, though. And why should I? I'm not perfect. It was a mistake to put them there, however, I'll admit to that. But my tierlist hardly failed because of that one mistake nor did I only score 10% off of Alphazealot's little meter because of it.

I did one thing wrong. So did you when you (erroneously) used my cliff notes about Lucas as an example of why I fail. Does this mean you automatically fail as well?

And you, apparently.

Seriously, dude, I have a problem with you.

You know what? If you're not going to respect the fact that you made quite a big flaw and back down a little, if you don't respect me as a person, and most of all, if you're going to make this personal - I think I'm going to pull out of this argument.

You can totally take this how you want, you can take it as "I proved him wrong and he can't hack it!" if you want - I couldn't care less.

This kind of argument isn't the kind of thing I didn't want to get into.

ChewyChase

Smash Cadet
Yuna, you didn't even TOUCH my argument on page 8. I do wish to know what you think of it. . . or think nothing of it. Because this forum is very legitimate and is good discussion, or lack of discussion and more argument it might seem heh...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The sad thing is that this could have been so easily averted if Sakurai had gotten some decent beta-testers. You know, like, say, Halo.
We wouldn't even have needed a lot of time, and it's not hard to figure out that some characters are better and some worse. You can simply compare characters with similar play-styles. I dare you to find an advantage Ganondorf has that Ike doesn't.
This actually offended me.

You have no idea of the lengths Sakurai went to to create this game and the sheer magnitude of effort he personally spent on establishing its gameplay and balance. By nature, you will never have any concept of this.

If you, or anyone else on this board thinks you could design a better, more superiorly balanced Smash Bros. game,
You are wrong.

There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it. You know nothing about game design. You have no experience with game design. You have no never led a development team of any size to realize your game design. You have never balanced anything more than a teeter-totter. The only perspective on games you have at all is 20/20 hindsight on the finished products.

All criticism of Sakurai should be voiced strictly in the form of making your own bloody game. Anything else is mindless.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
This actually offended me.

You have no idea of the lengths Sakurai went to to create this game and the sheer magnitude of effort he personally spent on establishing its gameplay and balance. By nature, you will never have any concept of this.

If you, or anyone else on this board thinks you could design a better, more superiorly balanced Smash Bros. game,
You are wrong.

There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it. You know nothing about game design. You have no experience with game design. You have no never led a development team of any size to realize your game design. You have never balanced anything more than a teeter-totter. The only perspective on games you have at all is 20/20 hindsight on the finished products.

All criticism of Sakurai should be voiced strictly in the form of making your own bloody game. Anything else is mindless.
So we cab't criticisze Sakurai for making a game that is to some people inferior to the prequel?

That is silly.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I was willing to admit that you have a point until you said this. It's a straw argument. "You can't make a better game so shut up." Of course we can't make better games, we don't have giant budgets and a team of hundreds of developers.
I don't doubt that it takes a great deal of skill and effort to make the game in the first place. I can't even fathom how you'd have to juggle numbers around to get to a certain equilibrium in the first place.

But now think about it.

They have arrived at a certain equilibrium now.
And it took a handful of players a few days to find out that some characters are crap while others are amazing.
If they had given a few of those actually good players the chance to test all this, they could easily have balanced the whole thing a little more; make Pit a little lighter, give Marth a worse recovery to make him an offensive control beast who's at least risky to use, give Ganondorf some fast move to start a combo with or at least save his hide when he's in a pickle...
It would only have taken minor changes for at least a somewhat better balance.

I'm not saying that I have any of the skills Sakurai has in actually actively designing a game and coordinating a huge team of developers, but I claim that he could have used a bunch of advisors to help him make important decisions. Decisions about beta-testing, for instance.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Good god, you're so wrong. Just as one does not have to be a professional chef to critique food, one does not need to produce video games to critique them. As consumers, it is more or less our duty to evaluate the quality of the goods that we purchase.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
And I say you can't right now cause you don't know how each char plays efficiently.
Funny, I don't remember that from your original post where you talked about a lot of other things.

It's just as retarted as the other people stating DDD is broken or roy best. Also thats not the reason why I think it's ********. Any tier list made right now is ******** though cause most good players are still heavily used to a melee mind set. I guess I call it ******** cause I don't think 3 chars are better then all the others right now.
Funny, I don't. I try to discover new ways of playing it, which is especially easy when I play Toon Link and Pit (because they're smexy).

Airal is combat is different now since there are a lot of arial fights in melee you approach from the air but it's close to the ground. With chars like pit and meta knight and DDD and kirby you actually have air battles.
We had these in Melee as well, only in smaller numbers. I fail to see how aerial combat has changed that much for, say, Peach, Zelda or Falco other than that they've been rebalanced.

Yes but if you don't spam shieks fair it's still pretty strong. It doesn't turn sheik in a crap character. Also KO ability doesn't just ahve to come from high knockback. Certain chars actually are more efficient going off stage and working there opponents to the borders. Others use projectiles to prevent people from recovering. There's ton's of stuff like this and yet you still say it's almost impossible to KO in this game.
No, it's not. Have you tried it out? It's not that strong even on the highest knockback. Sheik isn't a crap character. She's just bland now. If you switch between her and Zelda, however, then she's Great. When did I say Sheik was crap?

Certain characters are more efficient, certain are not. Your point being? The same was tue for Melee. Where have I said that it's almost impossible to KO in this game?! Where?! It's harder generally because of the floatiness, better DI and generally nerfed knockback output.

Which is crucial for a good balance. The more chars are similiar the more likely there is something like the best route for that playing style is found which makes that char better then the others chars. It's why pichu was worse then pikachu for example. There fairly similiar but the other didn't make up for the difference.
That's crap. Balance is in the game. Balance is not created, it's just discovered. The fact that players do this and that does not change what's already programmed into the game and cannot be changed.

When we talk about balance, we talk about Theory Fighter: What if X characters was played at the highest level?

Also regarding the char list you posted I said not all. I know you don't play fox like falco but the way you approach is more similar then it is with fox and falco in brawl. They play very different from each other now.
Yes, and?! I know all of this. I actually research things.

The example I gave of sonic and diddy and ganondorf was to demonstrate the different approached you should take for chars and that slow chars haven't grown to be bottom tier at all. They make up for a lot by the rediculous knockback they have.
It's not that they're slow alone. It's that they also have limited options. It doesn't matter if you're really strong if you can't hit people that often. Meanwhile, better characters will own you.

It's cause they have a counter style. They take hits to get there own or block to create openings and such. They still have offensive options but you should hit a shield straight on with it. This is what is so different from melee's metagame. You shouldn't be hitting shields as much as you did in melee anymore. Also you can't grab a ganondorf if he spaces well and you don't powershield cause he sends you too far back. And this is true for a lot of the stronger chars.
Did you know, powershielding is really, really easy now? Ganondorf is slow. Let's see how that goes hand in hand!

The fact that Ganondorf can't approach limits his game. How the hell is he going to get openings? Turtling and hoping for a mistake? Yeah, not a very good strategy.

Not important.

I'm not stating there are no counters in this game but I haven't found 1 char that overpowers each char or has no disadvantages ( while sheik was such a char).
Funny, Sheik has a bad matchup against Fox. Especially in NTSC. Falco was 50/50. Ever wondered why Sheik's 3rd on the Tierlist?

Have you ever heard of a game series called Guilty Gear XX? In every single installation since the first XX-game, the characters have been so friggin' balanced, the tierlist frequently shifts and even Bottom Tiers have won major tournaments! That's right! It's the equivalent of Pichu winning a tournament! Can you see it happening? Not really.

These games are so balanced, while there are bad individual matchups and always a Top Tier (with Eddie sometimes even taking God Tier), the Bottoms still have a chance!

Let's see... it's a game where everyone's balanced against everyone. Would you call it more balanced than a game where everyone's balanced against everyone except the Bottom Tier? Yes you would.

"Competitive Balance" - Balance between the highest tiered character =/= General Balance.

Magic: The Gathering is not Smash. Magic the Gathering is also not balanced if there are a large number of cards that cannot compete with the rest.

Is Melee balanced? After all, the Top 4 had an equal chance to win against each other. It was really close! And people keep saying they only see the Top 4 at tournaments. Melee must be super-balanced!

No.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You know what? If you're not going to respect the fact that you made quite a big flaw and back down a little, if you don't respect me as a person, and most of all, if you're going to make this personal - I think I'm going to pull out of this argument.
1) I admitted to a fatal mistake when I placed ICs there without researching the chaingrab first. But we don't know enough about it yet so I said that ICs have been pushed down to Blah-tier as of this moment.
2) You made a large mistake as well.
3) Why do I not respect you as a person for not agreeing to everything you say?
4) You made it personal when you mocked me, flamed me and generally insulted me first. Who disrespected who here?

You can totally take this how you want, you can take it as "I proved him wrong and he can't hack it!" if you want - I couldn't care less.
Or I could assume you're a troll who's trying to pass himself off as an annoying poster.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, you didn't even TOUCH my argument on page 8. I do wish to know what you think of it. . . or think nothing of it. Because this forum is very legitimate and is good discussion, or lack of discussion and more argument it might seem heh...
Funny, I don't see a post by you on page 8. I'm also not perfect. I miss certain posts.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So we cab't criticisze Sakurai for making a game that is to some people inferior to the prequel?

That is silly.
No, you can't, because he never owed you anything in the first place. No one said you can't have opinions on the game and how it compares to others.

What is "silly" is the notion that this game did not have beta-testers or that Sakurai was somehow unconcerned with the balance of the game.

I was willing to admit that you have a point until you said this. It's a straw argument. "You can't make a better game so shut up." Of course we can't make better games, we don't have giant budgets and a team of hundreds of developers.
That's the point. There is a reason you and I do not have such and Sakurai does. It is not a universal coincidence or some lucky fate on his part.

They have arrived at a certain equilibrium now.
And it took a handful of players a few days to find out that some characters are crap while others are amazing.
If they had given a few of those actually good players the chance to test all this, they could easily have balanced the whole thing a little more; make Pit a little lighter, give Marth a worse recovery to make him an offensive control beast who's at least risky to use, give Ganondorf some fast move to start a combo with or at least save his hide when he's in a pickle...
It would only have taken minor changes for at least a somewhat better balance.
Gimme a break. Have you even played the game?

Not only are you passing judgement on a game before it's widespread release, you propose injecting your ideas about balance into the game; your ideas instead of those of the man who crafted the entire thing himself in the first place.

If this honestly sounds like a good idea to you, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I'm not saying that I have any of the skills Sakurai has in actually actively designing a game and coordinating a huge team of developers, but I claim that he could have used a bunch of advisors to help him make important decisions. Decisions about beta-testing, for instance.
I just don't know what to say. Some kid on the internet thinks he would be a good "advisor" to Sakurai. About "beta-testing". Wow.

Sakurai is one of the most successful project managers in the video game industry ever. Even people who hate smash would have to acknowledge that. He knows infinitely more about "beta-testing" than you ever will.

Good god, you're so wrong. Just as one does not have to be a professional chef to critique food, one does not need to produce video games to critique them. As consumers, it is more or less our duty to evaluate the quality of the goods that we purchase.
I agree completely. I have no problem with anyone critiquing Brawl.

What I have a problem with is anyone saying that they could at any level have made Brawl better than Sakurai, particularly when they don't have the slightest clue about video game development at all. In reality, it was literally impossible for ANYONE to have made Brawl but Sakurai...

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
Yuna , you say we have to think about this in the "brawl-to-brawl" manner, but look at the thread´s tittle.

Is this game more balanced than melee? Of course it is.

Now between brawl characters

Comboability , koability, chars that cannot combo have projectiles, slow/heavy chars have super amor moves.

Marth is a god among mortals here but 3 hit of Ike will make him kiss the border of your tv.

Since in this game every char is unique ending up having 2 o 3 bargain chars is inevitable, but the rest , there more than 5 or 6 characters that can stand a chance in metagame.

What i think your saying is:

melee

bottom--------(gap)---------top

brawl

bottom-------------------------------------(gap)-----------------------------------top

This is true but just for 2 characters IMO , marth and olimar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom