• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl - More balanced than Melee? Lie or truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexX

Smash Ace
EDIT: Disregard post. Apparently it's so late I've forgotten how to read...

Corigames

Smash Hero
It had to be one of three things:
-it was a scrub, so he played as MewTwo.
I doubt that was it
-it was a money match, so he played as MewTwo.
That could be it
-it was a tournament against a bad player even if it was finals, so he played as MewTwo.
Stretching it very far

Taj plays Marth. He ***** with his Marth. I was ***** by his Marth... I recorded it and made a yaoi! :D

Corigames

Smash Hero
What do you expect? His name even has 2008 in it, let alone his join >_> That's like a double wammy.

Roam wasn't built in a day, nor did anyone know everything about what they just learned of.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
But that person has been here since March... >_<

I figured that is enough time to know at least Falcon blows or Snake owns.

*sigh* maybe I'm just too hopeful for fellow 2008ers.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
it Had To Be One Of Three Things:
-it Was A Scrub, So He Played As Mewtwo.
I Doubt That Was It
-it Was A Money Match, So He Played As Mewtwo.
That Could Be It
-it Was A Tournament Against A Bad Player Even If It Was Finals, So He Played As Mewtwo.
Stretching It Very Far

Taj Plays Marth. He ***** With His Marth. I Was ***** By His Marth... I Recorded It And Made A Yaoi! :d

Why Does No One Laugh!?

Xd

IrArby

Smash Ace
AlexX: You talk about shielding Snake's Ftilt as is its the obvious solution but the same could be said for . . . well . . . ANY Attack! If you shield it you don't get hit. If it was a simple as what Isai said "Don't get hit" then we'd have the game in the bag.

ANYWAY, lets go from the shield. He's still out of your range to counter attack right? Or shield grab or anything. Even if your Marth with your disjointed hit boxes (Forget Ike cause he's too slow here and will get *****) even your Ftilt or Fsmash are gonna have trouble outranging it and you've got a PHUCKING SWORD! Plus his Ftilt has a second hit (which can hit you after all but the longest spotdodges) putting you further out of range if shielded. And if your out of Snakes Ftilt range he can simply Snakedash through your shield and avoid any punishment. So your ground approaches are now . . . ?

Back to your post one page back. I wouldn't say there are too many technical Links. He's not a technical character so much, that would be Fox/Falco. He did have to have his basic ATs down pat (as did everyone else) and aside from that he'd have to be sharp on his combos (as did everyone else) and have his projectile game together but aside from that no real crazy tech stuff.
The real point here is that Link couldn't easily find an opening to punish Fox (point taken) but if he did he could actually combo and set up for an edgeguard if not a KO no matter what percent. But, because Brawl doesn't combo, punishment by low tiers to high tiers is like 7-15%. For all their hardwork and perfect impenterable defensive play the get a measely one or two hits that does nothing beside. It takes 200% just to kill them. How many 15% are there in a 200% KO?

The top 6 are very balanced in Melee. I don't see how you can refute this. Name one bad matchup between any of those characters. I can think of maybe one that is sort of one sided. And besides Mario, Doc, DK, Luigi, all and others besides still have means to punish the spacies. And by punish I mean kill or set up for edgeguards since

A.) edgeguarding actually existed back then
and
B.) punishment doesn't >15% or less

RDK

Smash Hero
Hmmm...

Melee: Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Peach

Brawl: Snake, MK
Stupid Brawlf@gs.

AlexX: You talk about shielding Snake's Ftilt as is its the obvious solution but the same could be said for . . . well . . . ANY Attack! If you shield it you don't get hit. If it was a simple as what Isai said "Don't get hit" then we'd have the game in the bag.
Not even then, really. The argument about "Just learn how to counter Snake's ____ (enter move here) is ridiculous when applied to any character--the reason being that your opponent, if he's a good player, will do the same thing to whatever you pull out on him. If both players are around the same skill level and are playing smart, the one using the character who has ridiculous advantages over the other is going to win.

Sure, you can say "Just shield / spotdodge / don't get hit by Snake's f-tilt", but it only looks good on paper. It seems logical, but when you're actually in a match, you have no idea when your opponent is going to try and f-tilt you, so the argument is moot.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
This is why I loathe Smashboards' self-propagized status as being the largest Smashboards community on the web. It was justified with Kingdom Hearts Insider because that was always intended to be a shallow fanboyfest, but this kind of forum does not benefit from an enormous influx of users who come here because it's the first place they know of.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Melee: Fox, Falco, Shiek, Falcon, Jiggs, IC, Peach, Link, Marth, Samus, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Pikachu,

Brawl: Snake, MK, GW, Pika, ROB, Lucario, TL, Falco, Wario, Diddy, Olimar.

Less balance, more viable characters.
I added a few you were missing.

Melee actually had more characters that could compete, while they did have a smaller hance of winning a tournament they were still capable of winning a tournament.

Brawl actually has less viable characters.
According to ratio Brawl has a greater imbalance and less tournament viable characters.
The amount of characters added is roughly 15.
Yet the amount of viable characters only increased at most 8.

But the ratio of viable characters is lesser than it was in melee.

RDK

Smash Hero
Melee: Fox, Falco, Shiek, Falcon, Jiggs, IC, Peach.

Brawl: Snake, MK, GW, Pika, ROB, Lucario, TL, Falco, Wario, Diddy, Olimar.

Less balance, more viable characters.
Also not true.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly how many "viable" characters there are in Brawl because of the counterpick nature of the game. Too many characters are just plain bad against a lot of other characters. The only two who really dominate when it comes to tournaments are Snake and MK. The rest pretty much have just as many bad matchups as they do good ones.

TOASTY!

RDK, you are officially a god among men.

Dan Forden FTW.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Stupid Brawlf@gs.

Not even then, really. The argument about "Just learn how to counter Snake's ____ (enter move here) is ridiculous when applied to any character--the reason being that your opponent, if he's a good player, will do the same thing to whatever you pull out on him. If both players are around the same skill level and are playing smart, the one using the character who has ridiculous advantages over the other is going to win.

Sure, you can say "Just shield / spotdodge / don't get hit by Snake's f-tilt", but it only looks good on paper. It seems logical, but when you're actually in a match, you have no idea when your opponent is going to try and f-tilt you, so the argument is moot.
Didn't you use that same argument to justify IC chain grab infinites?

viparagon

Smash Ace
I think that brawl is more balanced than melee, but all the characters just have less potential in general. By ulilizing melee's ATs, it was possible to b fairly effective with crappy chars. In brawl, characters are already figured out for the most part, so it is harder to win with someone like captain falcon. That being said, I don't think that the top brawl chars are as balanced in comparason to the rest of the cast. Snake and MK just seem head and shoulders above everyone else. In melee, fox and falco could still easily be served by peach, marth, and shiek. Already, snake and metaknight are donimating tourneys, and the game has only been out for a few months. What will the competitive seen be like a few years from now.

gantrain05

Smash Master
as for viable characters, im gonna have to say brawl actually has more viable characters, but melee had a higher percentage of viable characters.

Melee: shiek, fox, falco, marth, peach, IC, Dr. mario, ganon, pika, falcon, jiggs, DK, luigi, thats 12 viable characters
Brawl: fox, falco, marth, IC, pika, DK, lucas, ness, shiek, zelda, snake, MK, DDD, diddy, DK, mario, kirby, wario, lucario, Tlink, olimar, ROB, wolf, thats 23 viable characters, so i don't know about the "lack of balance" in brawl, i mean its obviously MK and snake top tier, but most of the championships in melee, were either fox, shiek, or marth, so honestly i think they both have thier balance problems, just in different ways.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Epicly wrong.
Melee had way more viable characters than you listed.

Fox, Falco, Shiek, Falcon, Jiggs, IC, Peach, Link, Marth,(how do you forget marth) Samus, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Pikachu,.

basically there were only a few characters deemed incapable of being viable in melee.

In brawl, more than 2/3rds of the cast is not viable.

RDK

Smash Hero
In melee, fox and falco could still easily be served by peach, marth, and shiek. Already, snake and metaknight are donimating tourneys, and the game has only been out for a few months. What will the competitive seen be like a few years from now.
Probably exactly the same as it looks now. This argument has been refuted a million kajillion times.

as for viable characters, im gonna have to say brawl actually has more viable characters, but melee had a higher percentage of viable characters.
WTF? So.....your'e saying Melee is more balanced, right?

Didn't you use that same argument to justify IC chain grab infinites?
No, because IC chaingrabs have nothing to do with balance. The IC chaingrab doesn't shoot the IC's to the top of the tier list like basically ALL of Snake's attributes do. If the IC's had more attributes like their infinite, then yeah, it would be a different situation.

Epicly wrong.
Melee had way more viable characters than you listed.

Fox, Falco, Shiek, Falcon, Jiggs, IC, Peach, Link, Marth,(how do you forget marth) Samus, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Pikachu,.

basically there were only a few characters deemed incapable of being viable in melee.

In brawl, more than 2/3rds of the cast is not viable.
Point being, the middle and bottom tiers are, for all intents and purposes, not viable. The mids are only viable against themselves, and the highs and top are basically viable against everyone else, with a handful of soft counters and disadvantageous matchups here and there.

gantrain05

Smash Master
no no , im not saying melee has more balance, im saying i haven't made up my mind completely yet, i think both have very bad balance issues and while brawl has more viable characters melee has a higher percentage of the cast, but thats not taking into account the gaps between high-bottom tier, im excluding top tier because basically they ***** everything below high tier in melee, but i think the balance from High-bottom tier is about the same in both games.

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
I've played both Melee and Brawl, and I'd have to say. Brawl definitely has WAY less balance than in Melee. In Brawl, a beginner could pick up Ike and smash someone who's played for months with Sheik (ME :laugh:). Back in Melee, all characters were even and the tier list was a lot more balanced.

RDK

Smash Hero
RDK doesn't G&W also dominate well over most of the other characters like Snake and MK?
Yeah, I completely forgot about G&W.

Which is to say, Brawl has a hell of a lot more annoying characters in it too. It's the only Smash game where you can win matches against good players by sitting in one spot, spamming a projectile, and just shieldropping into a grab, d-tilt, or smash as soon as someone approaches (Pit and Wolf, I'm looking at you).

The post was junk up to this point anyway, but "competitive seen" just made me cry.
LMFAO, how did I miss that.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero

Which is to say, Brawl has a hell of a lot more annoying characters in it too. It's the only Smash game where you can win matches against good players by sitting in one spot, spamming a projectile, and just shieldropping into a grab, d-tilt, or smash as soon as someone approaches (Pit and Wolf, I'm looking at you).
you forgot Falco and TLink >.> lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom