• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl - More balanced than Melee? Lie or truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Fox's recovery is VERY predictable if he doesn't specifically go for the ledge. Part of the reason he doesn't just get sent right back out is because when he lands on the stage he can do anything almost immediately.

Melee Sheik's Up+B distance isn't terrible, but the landing lag is, enough usually to result in her just getting sent right back off the stage, as though you didn't actually make it back at all.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I thought Sheik's was bad due to her low horizontal speed combined with Vanish's short, predictable range (If you are edgehogging, it's not that hard 2 predict where Sheik will appear). And like I said, I was talking about just "getting back 2 the stage" recovery. The landing lag comes from successfully returning, so I don't see its how it help/hurts "getting back 2 the stage". It leaves Fox open upon returning, but it doesn't affect his ability to return...
So say you make it back to the stage with Vanish.

Your friend Marth walks by and thinks "lol landing lag" and gets you with a fsmash.

You then have to try to get back onto the stage and he edgehogs. It looks like the only thing you can do is Vanish back to the stage's main platform.

Marth jumps back onto the stage as you're appearing above it.

So you make it back to the stage with Vanish.

Your friend Marth walks by and thinks "lol landing lag" and gets you with a fsmash.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Yes true. Fox's recovery has always been predictable. But we were originally talking about Melee Fox recovery vs. Brawl Fox recovery.

As for Sheik, Its not terrible, but the short-range makes it easy to predict where she'll appear and counter (landing lag or not).

Magus420

Smash Master
I thought Sheik's was bad due to her low horizontal speed combined with Vanish's short, predictable range (If you are edgehogging, it's not that hard 2 predict where Sheik will appear).
Abusable lag is why Sheik's recovery in Melee is considered much worse than it would be otherwise.

And like I said, I was talking about just "getting back 2 the stage" recovery. The landing lag comes from successfully returning, so I don't see its how it help/hurts "getting back 2 the stage". It leaves Fox open upon returning, but it doesn't affect his ability to return...
If you get hit/thrown back off as a result of a laggy recovery I would not call that "successfully returning", as would most people.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Yes true. Fox's recovery has always been predictable. But we were originally talking about Melee Fox recovery vs. Brawl Fox recovery.
But if Fox made it onto the stage in melee he could immediately move. Now you have a lot more time to punish his lag, so he's more likely to be hit off the stage again (and have to recover.
As for Sheik, Its not terrible, but the short-range makes it easy to predict where she'll appear and counter (landing lag or not).
Not exactly. You don't even have to predict where she'll appear.
This is how the Shiek edgeguard works. Grab the ledge. Get up from the ledge (the normal way, no rolling or anything) right as she explodes.
If she went for the ledge, she just got edgehogged. If she went above the ledge to try to fall down to it, smash her before she reaches it. If she went for the stage, wavedash back/run back/whatever until you're on the other side of her, and hit her back off during the lag. It has nothing to do with how predictable the recover is, but rather how punishable those options are. In this scenerio, you are able to punish all of her options from one position that is rather easy to obtain. This is only possible due to the amount of lag Shiek has after her up B (since landing on the stage is now not an option, and the other two options were already covered.)

You have not succesfully recovered until you are technically able to get away from being edgeguarded (and if you're repeatedly being hit off the stage during your lag, you are still being edgeguarded.)

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Hmm. Well I'll concede 2 the Sheik point (Not that I meant to really argue it).

As for the original Fox point, Phantasm is usually used to get back to the stage when knocked off. And Firefox (from what I've seen) is rarely used to return directly on to the stage. So the landing lag rarely comes up.

Basically what I'm saying is that Fox's recovery wasn't really nerfed in Brawl. He got some more landing lag in Firefox yes, but his fall speed was decreased so he can usually Phantasm to either the edge or onto the stage easier. And his vulnerability when using Firefox is more or less the same (Not much of a change when edgehogging it).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hmm. Well I'll concede 2 the Sheik point (Not that I meant to really argue it).

As for the original Fox point, Phantasm is usually used to get back to the stage when knocked off. And Firefox (from what I've seen) is rarely used to return directly on to the stage. So the landing lag rarely comes up.

Basically what I'm saying is that Fox's recovery wasn't really nerfed in Brawl. He got some more landing lag in Firefox yes, but his fall speed was decreased so he can usually Phantasm to either the edge or onto the stage easier. And his vulnerability when using Firefox is more or less the same (Not much of a change when edgehogging it).
Phantasm is Falco's Side+B, which is much improved from the Melee version. Fox's Side+B is Illusion and is just as vulnerable in Brawl as it was in Melee. The vulnerability of Foxfire when it gets edgehogged is greater, because
A. Fox has less aerial maneuverability afterward than he did in Melee
B. Should Fox actually manage to land, he's got a ton of landing lag to deal with, and
C. The distance that Foxfire can cover is shorter.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
You know, I never understood why they gave that move different names for Fox and Falco...

Anyway as I said, his recovery as a whole wasn't really nerfed. His slower fall speed means he can DI closer to the stage then in Melee, auto-grabbing the edge reduces his vulnerability while approaching the edge, and their aren't alot of moments where you have 2 use Firefox onto the stage and are unable to use Illusion instead.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You could sweetspot the ledge in Melee too...

Using Illusion aiming for anywhere besides the ledge is usually asking for punishment.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Brawl is far more balanced than Melee. I mean in SSBM, I could go against a Fox or Falco and have immense trouble. Also, Pichu and Mewtwo were just... pathetic.

However, in Brawl, everything is a lot more balanced, although no game is ever PERFECTLY balanced.
Read my sig.

I see. So, from your experience, do you think that Fox, Falco, and Marth were dominating the tournament scene like MK and Snake are doing now?
I'm sorry, you must have missed it the first 29 times (in this thread alone) people said that even at the height of their dominance, Falco, Fox, Marth and Sheik (how could you possibly forget Sheik) never dominated the tourney scene the way Snake and Meta-Knight are dominating it at the moment.

Much lower tiered characters consistently placed high. In Brawl, there are literally tournaments where Top 5 consists of only Snakes and Meta-Knights.

Ancient stuff.
The fact that mid is bigger now doesn't really mean much if the distance between each tier is greater.

Even "ancienter" stuff.
Old, refuted 100 times over, everyone down to Ganondorf stood a chance of winning. Also, read my sig.

However, previously rubbish characters like Zelda and Peach are stronger. Not all new characters are completely overpowerful or underpowerful.
Gygados' posts are suddenly making sense. We're getting punk'd!

Snake and Metaknight...

What about Mr. Game and Watch? If people are seriously saying Brawl is unbalanced because of the dominance of Snake and Metaknight in tournaments, then they at least need to explain why other equally broken characters are not as successful.
Because Snake and Meta-Knight are the ones dominating the tourney scene the most. G&W is close behind them. Also notice how I very often include G&W.

Exactly my point; he's just as good, but not picked as much. Therefore, to say Brawl has only two winning characters when an equal like GW is simply not picked as much, doesn't say anything about balance. If anything it's deceptive, making the illusion that there are only two characters that can win tournaments.
I'm sorry, what part of "The highs stand a prety good chance of winning" was too hard for you to grasp the 29,000 first times I and others say it? Just because we present Snake and Meta-Knight as the epitomes of brokenness to counter idiots saying "Fox, Marth, Sheik, Falco" doesn't mean we're saying "They're the only ones who could ever win".

But once you get down to Mid, it starts looking much bleaker while the Mids in Melee could all compete. We've been over this already. Tell me, are you suffering from early onset dementia or are you choosing to forget certain things on purpose to be able to repeat the same inane arguments I've alrady refuted 29 times over?

Whatever. The fact that even if we group more characters in each other, the number of viable characters will remain the same will not change. Try to prove that more characters are viable in Brawl, that's the main point here.

My point has never been "Oh, only these tiers can compete", it's always been the number of characters which can compete and how distant each tier is from the ones above and below them. I often say "no one below High" because I don't want to have to name all of the characters in the presumed Top and High.

You've proven nothing of use, really.

People do care if a character is capable of placing well enough. That means they have some form of viability, if you can top you have a capability of winning.
Yes, but if we're gonna start talking about characters capable of placing "well enough", then Brawl still loses... horrendously. Tons of characters could "place well enough" in Melee. For one thing, Zelda doesn't even do that badly against the Tops and Highs (except against a few) despite being 7th worst.

Then how can we fault Brawl for lack of viability when it's been virtually the same as when Melee came out? In Melee Shiek, Fox, and Falco were dominating tournament with other character randomly popping up.
I'm sorry, what? What kind of idiotic revisinist history was this?! You were not around back then. You haven't even checked up on the facts. This is simply not true.

In Brawl you can just replace Shiek, Fox, and Falco with Snake, Metaknight, and King Dedede.
DeDeDe? In what alternate universe? Gasme / Watch. And why are you purposely leaving out Marth? 4/26 vs. 3/39. I'd call that less balanced.

Hate to break it to you but the mids aren't that far behind in the ranking list from the highs.
In what alternate universe? Prove it (not that you can since I've looked at the rankings).

Along with that you can't prove that the skill level was so low that we should refute each individual tournament your not happy with. Locals or other events are bound to have a lower skill level compared to major tournaments, this is a fact. A listing to the placing and an online confirmation are required to use it as part of the list.
We could take a look at the vids produced. Or the names of the people present. Or the number of entrants. Or what kind of events they are ("Biweeklies").

There's a good reason why Peaches have been doing quite well in local and minor tournaments but quite badly in larger ones.

How do you propose a standard to fix this then? You claim that bad players, even reference Dark.pch in this response, are going to win fights because everyone sucks worse. If so then what is the right solution? Not allow any tournament that goes weekly? Lower attendance? lower cash prize? what?
I'm sorry, I talked about not allowing tournaments to be held when? I'm talking about not counting the tournaments results from such BS "tournaments" as "biweeklies" (with, what, 20 entrants?) or at least not counting said results when talking about game balance.

Nice to see your making up results.
You exaggerate, I exaggerate. 14-20 wins vs. 3-5 wins. Gee, truly balanced. Everyone stands a chance. And the lower tiered onces can only achieve such wins at minor and local tournaments.

The only people who even have 20+ are Snake and Metaknight. all of the "highs" have at most, 14 by King Dedede, yet we have other like Donkey Kong who have 11.
Above.

Owned=/=close defeat
I'm sorry, your English must be lacking. I criticized people for swaying "Tudor is owning people!" when it was but close defeats and other such exaggerations!

Who's to say that Tudor didn't win by 1-stock margins or rather Samus isn't as bad as your making her out to be.
If she isn't that bad, then how come so very few people are even able to place well as Samus? Both tournament results and theory fighter dictate this. Bringing just one great Samus player out as "evidence" means bupkis.

After I posted a point about how the current tier list of Melee was bottom heavy and pointed out by looking at it, how blatantly obvious it is. You continued your recent tend of, "no ur wrong, lol." I said what was needed to be said, you've become more rude to people in this topic.
Again I say "So your word is law"?

"Melee's tier list is bottom heavy and it's blatantly obvious just looking at it". So because you say it it's true? Why is it obvious? How should the list be? And for what reasons? How about you provide valid arguments for once?

A huge majority of the cast, 21/26 are in middle or lower. Sheik, Marth, and possibly Peach can easily compete with Fox and Falco, I'm not they are better or of equal in power to either of the spacies. I'm claiming that they are good enough to be in the same tier, as such other character should be position appropriately, after all a mid with 1-0 wouldn't make sense, as such everyone would move up one rank if they were high enough in their already positioned rank. (AKA, high bottom tier move into lower low tier.)
Only they aren't because there are quite a few characters in Mid, Lower and even Bottom who either have a pretty close matchup to those three or can even beat them. This is why Fox and Falco are in a tier of their own.

And you only just "proved" that Sheik, Marth and Peach should move up. You have in no way provided arguments for why the lower tiered characters should move up as well.

Thus your ignorant comment about bottom being mid makes you look more like you can't think on your own. I fail to see how hard it is to see how moving up from the bottom could magically make then jump to mid, when at most they could move up to lower low.
It's ignorant to demand actual arguments instead of blanket statements? I guess the SBR is full of ignorami.

I'll give you this: Some tiers need to be remodeled. But the number of viable characters to win or place well in tournaments are not affected by this. Their chances of winning will still stay the same, even if we remodel the tiers a bit.

Thus, it's largely meaningless to this discussion.

As for the recovery discussion: Fox, Falco, Marth and Sheik all had pretty "bad" recoveries. They weren't in any way stellar and they were all pretty predictable. All you have to do against Sheik is to edgehog her Vanish, walk up to the stage and then send her out again. All you have to do against Marth is throw projectiles at him or jump out and aerial him or edgehog him or lightshield edgehog to edgehopped aerial him.

Fox and Falco are easily edgehogged to prevent sweetspotting and then you just jump out and Nair/Fair/Nair their recoveries when they're forced to go high.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
You could sweetspot the ledge in Melee too...

Using Illusion aiming for anywhere besides the ledge is usually asking for punishment.
You forget that in Brawl, the distance you have 2 be in order to grab the edge is increased... And Illusioning onto the stage is usually for when they are edgehogging.

And Yuna. The recovery discussion is about whether Fox's recovery (as a whole) was nerfed.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wow, you sure are a miracle at recovering, you must never die because you can surpass every form of edgeguard in the game.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna where do you get your sense of humor and use of words? lol
also how can you stand to write such long post day in and day out? >.>
Xena, Buffy, Charmed, Angel, Stargate (both of them), Sabrina, etc., etc., etc. I've told you guys this already (in fact, I told you this yesterday).

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Because Snake and Meta-Knight are the ones dominating the tourney scene the most. G&W is close behind them. Also notice how I very often include G&W.

I'm sorry, what part of "The highs stand a prety good chance of winning" was too hard for you to grasp the 29,000 first times I and others say it? Just because we present Snake and Meta-Knight as the epitomes of brokenness to counter idiots saying "Fox, Marth, Sheik, Falco" doesn't mean we're saying "They're the only ones who could ever win".

But once you get down to Mid, it starts looking much bleaker while the Mids in Melee could all compete. We've been over this already. Tell me, are you suffering from early onset dementia or are you choosing to forget certain things on purpose to be able to repeat the same inane arguments I've alrady refuted 29 times over?
29? where does 29 come from?

Anyway, I have noticed that you include GW a lot. That post was to counter a lot of other people who scream Snake and MK. "The highs stand a pretty good chance of winning" - yes.

Now this last paragraph I sort of disagree with. "Once you get down to mid, it starts looking much bleaker" - I guess the real question is "what is middle tier," as Pikachu, Pit, Toon Link, and the likes seem to compete quite well.

Xena, Buffy, Charmed, Angel, Stargate (both of them), Sabrina, etc., etc., etc. I've told you guys this already (in fact, I told you this yesterday).
I'm sorry, but I don't get the reference.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
You told me this yesterday, lol.

If they had a Best posters PR Yuna would be 9001 spots ahead of every who uses the internet. Real talk.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yoshi has a recovery move! That in itself makes brawl more balanced :chuckle:. But seriously getting gimped all the time back then sucked and now gimping is hard to do on almost any character (except maybe link and Oli). Oh and no more uber deadly grab rest in teams really helps, now it's only semi-lethal.

And i don't see the big snake deal. He has like 2 good moves (maybe 3), Ftilt and Utilt (maybe his jab) all his other moves are two slow or requires the opponent to fall into it (landmine, C4) True the mortar slide is annoying but I just pivot grab it (yoshi can shut down snakes mortar sliding with ease, plus all of his aerials are slow with huge landing lag so they all pretty much blow. MK on the other hand, no lag moves, master gimper, shuttle loop kills ridiculously low percentages, aerials are all good, recovery is ridiculous, his most useless move might be his drill thing (which is still a decent move making him the only character without a nearly worthless move).

So yeah, 2 months after the game came out the makers realized they made snake and MK too good.

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
You know, I never understood why they gave that move different names for Fox and Falco...

Anyway as I said, his recovery as a whole wasn't really nerfed. His slower fall speed means he can DI closer to the stage then in Melee, auto-grabbing the edge reduces his vulnerability while approaching the edge, and their aren't alot of moments where you have 2 use Firefox onto the stage and are unable to use Illusion instead.
thats not called DI, but besides the point
no his aerial mobility after up-B sucks nuts if you're trying to recover in a safe fashion
possibly u can grab the edge when you up-B high up in the air, but who'd do that
thats like an easy way to **** yourself up, cuz as you mentioned, you fall slower = more time for someone, even a scrub to react.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Sadly, I don't have time to read 268 pages worth of discussion, especially when most if it is filled with spam.

My impression of Brawl is that if you skim off the top few characters (Snake and MK, maybe a couple more, but not sure if any more would even be necessary) then the game actually becomes pretty well balanced. All the discussion I remember from this thread was comparing, say, MK to someone low like PT. Try pitting upper middle/lower high tier characters versus low tier characters in each game and I'd say Brawl gives the weaklings more of a chance.

Has that been discussed yet?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yep.

You would also have to remove/buff the bottom end as well, don't forget. It's not just that the tops are insanely broken, but the very bottoms are lacking.

But that's (And I'm sure you realise is) a hypothetical situation.

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
But the fact that you even have to skim off characters to make it balancedin the first place kind of makes it hard to justify that Brawl is balanced at all.

I'm pretty sure that Gannon vs. Pit is a pretty hard match to win as is PT vs. the PK kids (albeit due to the release infinite).

Nines~Tempest

Smash Cadet
Sadly, I don't have time to read 268 pages worth of discussion, especially when most if it is filled with spam.

My impression of Brawl is that if you skim off the top few characters (Snake and MK, maybe a couple more, but not sure if any more would even be necessary) then the game actually becomes pretty well balanced. All the discussion I remember from this thread was comparing, say, MK to someone low like PT. Try pitting upper middle/lower high tier characters versus low tier characters in each game and I'd say Brawl gives the weaklings more of a chance.

I really hope so, it's blatantly obvious.

MK and Snake are the two truly broken characters, each one reflecting a type of "broken:" One who's just freaking insane in every way, and one who has a few great moves that are truly broken. MK has very little landing lag, and pretty much only lag on his Fsmash. Snake has his Ftilt and Utilt, 'nuff said.

I actually think melee is more balanced because, well, you can't ban characters. Snake and MK = More than Melee.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, Brawl is a bit more balanced than Melee. Yeah, Snake and MK are over the top, but at least more than a handful of characters are considered tournament worthy.

Fletch

Smash Master
In my opinion, Brawl is a bit more balanced than Melee. Yeah, Snake and MK are over the top, but at least more than a handful of characters are considered tournament worthy.
We've said this before a million times, but more characters in Melee are capable of winning a major tournament than what we have seen in Brawl.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
At least Wolf, Fox, Falco, and Marth stand a better chance against ROB, GW, and Dedede than MK and Snake. Those 3 would win more, but other characters would be able to squeeze in some spotlight.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
there is so much misinformation being shot around it's ****ing amazing.

DDD ***** Wolf in the ***, Falco can spam Snake just fine, I could go on.

lol Brawl has MK, Snake, ROB, G&W, Pit, Diddy, DDD, and I'd say Marth is up there, most good people I know put Wario in with the winners. That's not very huge compared to Melee's top 6 of Fox, Falco, Sheik, Peach, Marth, and C. Falcon.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
there is so much misinformation being shot around it's ****ing amazing.

DDD ***** Wolf in the ***, Falco can spam Snake just fine, I could go on.

lol Brawl has MK, Snake, ROB, G&W, Pit, Diddy, DDD, and I'd say Marth is up there, most good people I know put Wario in with the winners. That's not very huge compared to Melee's top 6 of Fox, Falco, Sheik, Peach, Marth, C. Falcon, IC's, Samus, Jigglypuff, and Luigi
Odd, I count 10 to 9 Im almost certain thats SMALLER.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Odd, I count 10 to 9 Im almost certain thats SMALLER.
You missed the point.

The general number I hear from good players is around 7-8, I listed Marth as a possible winner. People around here act like Brawl has a huge amount of viable characters, which really isn't true. It has a few more, but even that's debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom