• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Brawl+ is getting out of hand..." [MODERATORS PLEASE CLOSE!!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanus

Smash Hero
I feel this post is way too reactionary given that things are obviously in testing and you see things come and go very quickly based on community feedback. Did this need its own thread? No, we have a thread made for its own purpose already.

On your points, I agree with a lot of what you say, and a lot of it is already in the works. For example, Ivy's upB: We agreed we weren't going to keep it in its infinite form, but buff its hop effect slightly akin to the height of olimars. Rather than implement it in the old gravity code, Almas is making a new version of the code which will make this change trivial to implement and we will do it when he finishes it.

Rather than posting with what I agree with, I'll post with what I disagree with:

Lucario's upB change: In its current implementation, it is somewhat too good. I feel, as do the 15 or so others I spoke with at BtL about it, that it wasn't in that it can be attacked out of, but that its travel speed was enhanced. I plan on removing it as such as that is what I think is the true core problem surrounding it and truly adds probably one of what I think is the richest changes we have made to a enhance a character. I personally would be sad to see this go as I think many others would given how much it adds to his diversity and variety.

Falco's Shine: I'm truly indifferent on this, but falco is very beatable in his current state and I feel his shine before was much more limited than you suggest. I don't really care which direction it goes in, I just want to do whats best for the character and therein its viability.

However, the sheer fact that some people here are so reactionary is a bit perplexing. Given that I think we are fairly forum active and pretty receptive towards feedback makes this seem a bit overhyped, especially in that we have taken on the responsibility of balancing a game which is, while calculated, sometimes a guess and check process. I appreciate the candor in your feedback, but just saying that this process is by no means facile and is an elaborate work in progress.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Sonic Usmash buff? What in the name of sweet mother-loving tap-dancing Edgar Allen Poe is the need? Usmash is not worthless, despite the legions of haters; it has a HUGE hitbox, lasts for quite a while, and works wonders for anti-air.
Which has horrible startup time and is pretty worthless considering the risk of getting combo'd and when Sonic has much better options. You have to go out of your way to use it, but its hardly ever worth it. What Sonic "needed" was a kill move. Usmash set up for that in a little more indirect way. Predicting aerials and then a tech for a kill move sounds like a pretty good deal for a character who has trouble approaching and good reading is essential to making use of him.

Also, how people can be so adamant about giving Falco, a pretty amazing character, a quick, decent-ranged setup, but then be so against giving Ivysaur a useful projectile is beyond me.

First of all, take a look at the character. Most of her ground attacks are really punishable. Being punished with Ivy is bad, because one good horizontal move is all it takes. Once Ivy is off the edge shes pretty much gone. Her saving grace is her aerials, but most of her good zoning aerials don't set up well into anything. She lacks the momentum to follow-up to them with proper DI. The problem with this is, they're all still very much punishable and most characters that have the momentum to penetrate them setup way better than she does. Something like Falcon's knee is very harsh on Ivy. Not to mention there are other characters who do this whole defensive aerial gig much better and have actual setups with their aerials. Marth, G&W, Kirby and Luigi are all examples of this.

The razor leaf helped her be a great zoner and gave her good (situational) setups, but it wasn't her metagame. Its easily broken. Sex kicks, jabs, reflectors, every character has a move that can help them shrug Razor Leaf off because it just breaks from anything. Its no more spammable then Mario's fireball or Falco's laser. I know in my videos I love to use razor leaf, but I usually play against people who don't really get to play Brawl+. They look at their vBrawl knowledge, and since not many people play Ivysaur they don't know how to handle this projectile when really it can be easily dealt with.

Even though I love Ivy, shes still not that great of a character. Really I think she does best when on the offense. Her range, especially on her grab, helps her keep pressure on when she does land those good setups. This is nerfed with the razor leaf slowdown. Honestly at half the speed boost it seems almost as useless as before. It hasn't setup for anything for me but one or two grabs that I know could have been avoided if the opponent noticed I was going for them. She needs the extra zoning and setup power that razor leaf gave in order to compete with her off-stage disadvantage.

Ivysaur's razor leaf is also very helpful off-stage. Not just for knocking people off edges, but turning around with it and using her superior Bair to free up the ledge /help her not get edgeguarded.
Unfortunately people only see the worst in everything. Its a good move, it must encourage spamming!

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Yeah. I'm personally of the opinion that the WBR needs at least one good main of every single character. For example, I support the opinion of the Falco mains because they're Falco mains. I wouldn't trust an Olimar main with a Jigglypuff change, and I wouldn't trust a crazy good player who mains Fox with my Falcon proposal for change.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
@Black Mauser: I agree that falco is already a good character which is why he doesnt need to bee "touched"..
Sonic's uSmash is fine the way it normally was. which sets up for aerials and such. Leave the sonic buffs in the hands of those who do amazingly with him. And since when dos Sonic have a hard time apporoaching? With his speed? come on.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I'd just like to note that in Brawl, Lucario's wall cling is **** and can be easily punished by a simple stagespike/death, or simply hitting him in the 5 years it takes to start up Extremespeed/the 10 years he stays stuck to the ground in lag after landing/the year he spends completely vulnerable while moving because he has no protection at all ever.

I'll also note that Lucario thrives on the fact that kill moves are hard to land in Brawl, and the existance of kill combos sorta ruins him to hell and back, so I don't see how a recovery buff is unfair or even unnecessary.

Also, in Brawl, Extremespeed has lag.

Someone explain to me how the **** that's supposed to make sense.

Also, recovery was never his major downfall. <<

Kuga

Smash Journeyman
The funny thing is,nobody asked then to make Falco Shine to be a combo starter or something lika that,after the buff,and removing,they now say
''He needed this,this add a new amount of depth and actually became more useful''

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
While I support experts talking about their characters, we should be careful to know if these experts know how their characters work in brawl+. People come in saying a character sucks, or that a change is OP, without even trying it, let alone extensively trying it to see if it is indeed broken.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I don't play brawl +, so I can't complain about any of those things in the opening page.

But, I am catching some unusual stuff in peoples posts, such as backing up certain characters on certain aspects, while where others that have the same problem (I caught a few stuff from reading like over 30 posts about brawl +) are being left out by them.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
The funny thing is,nobody asked then to make Falco Shine to be a combo starter or something lika that,after the buff,and removing,they now say
''He needed this,this add a new amount of depth and actually became more useful''
^ this x9000
Nobody would complain with what they got until they get something better or lose it completly.

Clever_Sleazoid

Smash Apprentice
The backroom people disagree enough with how many there are now, adding more would be madness...

Lucario's upB has to stay, but I agree with returning it to it's original speed, or at least 1.25x instead of the 1.5x. It makes him so much more fun, and gives him so many more opportunities, yet he is still easily beatable. I, quite frankly, hate the conservative argument. If we can make turn adequate into awesome, I'm for it.

Falco's shine is easily techable. It only combos at certain %, other times it only leads into tech chases. It also hardly makes Falco too good, it makes him just right IMO. I never was into Falco, but with this new change I am in love with him because he is now so unique.

Also, what's with criticizing the test builds as if they were final? Seriously. Everyone knew the Ike B> was stupid, and it was taken out. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS. It's tested, it's broken/too good, it's taken out. Geez. The latest change was one I enjoyed the most since... ever. Right now it sounds like a lot of people just don't like change.

This feels like the election all over again.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
This thread appears to be full of a couple things (and I don't just mean the first post): misunderstandings, overreactions, and some actually legit concerns.

First things first, for those of you who see this thread as a way to vent about how brawl+ has taken its general mechanics changes too far... I'm sorry, but I guess brawl+ just isn't for you. The general mechanics have been in place since the beginning of brawl+, and are really brawl+'s defining features - the whole reason it exists in the first place. Brawl+ is not simply a rebalanced brawl; it's practically a whole new game, where even if we didn't edit each character individually, would still see very different prevailing tactics than vbrawl. The specific character changes done after these global changes are done to balance the game and increase each character's depth of gameplay.

Which brings me to my second point: although a character may play "fine" without changes, if the character can be edited to be deeper and more enjoyable for those who main the character while still retaining balance, it should not be rejected. For example, falco's shine buff: Falco mains were willing to trade a nerf to his laser for this buff, in order to retain balance, and were in fact very enthusiastic about it. The shine change adds so much more depth to falco's game, making him a more interesting and fun character. Subjective? Of course. But seeing as the falco mains obviously agree with that statement, it can't really be argued. If the shine change broke falco, then we would not be able to implement it (or at least in its current form). You may not like seeing the way a character's moves work being completely altered, but unless it threatens game balance or if you main said character, you really shouldn't be complaining. I reiterate, falco's lasers were nerfed to facilitate the shine buff. We all have characters we hate to fight, but we shouldn't let that get in the way of making this game deeper or to cloud our judgments of balance.

Now, for the actually legit concerns... I would like to stress the point that brawl+ is not a finished project. We try new things. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they just need more tweaking. I'll be the first to admit that we make mistakes: we're only human. Things may seem right at first glance, and then it's revealed after some testing that something isn't working properly. We're glad to hear feedback on these types of things, such as zelda's upB, sonic's dsmash, ivy's multiple upBs, the ICs' blizzard, or lucario's recovery, which I will address below.

Zelda's upB and Sonic's dsmash - It's not very hard to accidentally overbuff or overnerf something, and then still fail to correct it on the second try. Some things require quite a bit of testing and tweaking to get right. We will most certainly be reviewing these changes again and seeing about making them more punishable.

Ivy's multiple upBs - On this one, we were already aware of the problem. As has been mentioned, we're going to try to just give him a slightly bigger hop when he upBs and remove the infinite upBs, which seem to be causing more problems than anything.

ICs blizzard - This is new. Well... newish. I'm not entirely sure how this one got passed our radar, as it was in our list of things to go back to and fix, but somehow got forgotten in the midst of everything else. So thank you for bringing this back up to our attention.

Lucario's upB - I think the problem is with the speedup of the upB, itself, rather than being able to attack out of it. We gave the actual movement a speedup, which seems to have allowed lucario to gain more distance with it than before. The primary reasoning for the upB's inclusion was actually for the offensive options and variety it grants lucario, rather than as a recovery buff. Although it does indeed aid in recovery, that was not the fundamental reasoning for its inclusion. As such, it would be most reasonable to remove the portion that caused it to become too good as a recovery move rather than remove its other functions that served to make the move interesting.

If there are any specific complaints I missed please let me know and I will address them.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
@Black Mauser: I agree that falco is already a good character which is why he doesnt need to bee "touched"..
Sonic's uSmash is fine the way it normally was. which sets up for aerials and such. Leave the sonic buffs in the hands of those who do amazingly with him. And since when dos Sonic have a hard time apporoaching? With his speed? come on.
With its lag, it didn't set up for anything. And even if it did, why use Usmash when you can use Uair, which is disjointed and is faster? Why not just grab and Uthrow? Why not Dtilt which is a way better approach?

Nobody ever wants to see the good uses of a move. As for being amazing with Sonic, like I said before thats a wrong mindset to take. I'd say I'm pretty amazing with Sonic though. :lick:

5ive

Smash Champion
Falco's shine is easily techable. It only combos at certain %, other times it only leads into tech chases. It also hardly makes Falco too good, it makes him just right IMO. I never was into Falco, but with this new change I am in love with him because he is now so unique.
Same can be said for Wolf. I would love to see Wolf's upward shine back.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've been saying this for a while. Maybe people will begin to listen now that there's a lot of people.

Rudra

Smash Ace
I'm certain that at one point or another, someone looked at his shine, saw just how poor of a tool it is, and then suggestions were made to make it useful. The result? The creation of an amazing tool that brought depth to Falco while making his Shine useful in a non overpowered way.

Bright Falco 3% Laz0rzs back :psycho::psycho::psycho:
Even if they did, bringing damage stale into play (I still have hope) would essentially bring it back to 2-1% damage after constantly spamming it.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I don't know how many, or exactly who, is in the wbr, but it seems to be around 10-15, which is not nearly enough. If I'm mistaken, and there are actually a lot, it would be nice to have a list of the all the people in the wbr.
First off, for any huge project dealing with the balance of a game you don't have 80 some people balancing a 40 person cast. Too many people and ideas and nothing would ever get accomplished. There are usually about 20 (no more then 25+) balancing even the biggest competitive games out there. (WoW, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, Halo, amongst other games) Anyway, to answer your question the Back Room consists of:

1. Goodoldganon
  2. Shanus
  3. Almas
  4. The Cape
  5. Kupo
  6. ChiboSempai
  7. Yeroc
  8. MuBa
  9. Falco400
  10. Leafgreen486
  11. Dark_Sonic
  12. Paprika_Killer
  13. Mookie Rah
  14. Spunit262
  15. Alopex
  16. RyokoYaksa
  17. Foxy
  18. KishSquared

We have been trying to get the following people into the backroom, but as Almas highlighted earlier this hasn't exactly worked out.

1. JCeasar
  2. SHeLL
  3. GHNeko

I may have missed some names, it's been a long weekend. I apologize if I have missed some names. Now, know that not everyone takes part in character balancing. For example, Spuinit262 pops in from time to time (or he did) with code updates and helped us work out any bugs. Amongst the Backroom, every character except a very select few have someone maining or seconding them.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Yeah so I want this thread closed...

Alright, so a lot of you people made amazing points and good counter arguments throughout. I have PM'd the majority of you guys who brought up strong counter points and explained why I held a particular opinion in detail. The reason for that is because I actually want this thread closed. The way it's going now it's just gonna be another plusery thread which is not needed. I originally made it to bring to light many of the crazy stuff that was put in so people can think twice about the legitimacy of many of them. Now I know I'm not 100% right and a lot of these ideas are not only coming from me so please get that straight but for the most part I hope a lot of you guys can see where we're coming from.

I think everyone understands that these are test builds and that's exactly why I found it worth my time to writeup this thread. I wanted to voice a lot of players' concerns on some of the things they were actually thinking about keeping in the game that scared a lot of Brawl+ advocates. I heard countless times that "Brawl+ is getting stupid" or "Brawl+ is is doomed" and stuff like that because of the crazy changes and I felt I needed to make a thread listing every major controversial issue.

Finally this thread will become useless as things are fixed and the OP is outdated. I feel the thread has more than done it's job and I would be happy if it was closed and used just for reference in the future because people made a lot of good points in this thread and it shouldn't be disregarded, but leaving the thread open any longer will just put more of a burden on the developers to check one more thread to see what people are saying. I don't want to add to their burden so once again if any mod is reading this just close the thread.

And like people stated earlier I would hate to start a string of threads where people complain about things with a huge list similar to this. That would be very detrimental to the smash workshop section of these boards and would be annoying to moderators.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Please stop posting debates in this thread, if anything carry them to their dedicated sections. Debating here is useless because the thread will be closed soon...if any mods are on. By the way Kuga your post earlier about the Falcos never asking for the shine was genius.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
You know what I want? A Gold version. That way people can stop whining about changes and just shut up and deal, and the metagame can actually develop (Oh my god what a revolutionary concept).

Just throwing that out there before the thread is closed.

Clever_Sleazoid

Smash Apprentice
Ohhh,so,you just want the buffs that you Like huh?
Explain more why do you dont wanna his Shine back. o.o'
I want his shine to hit up still. But his old shine was waaay too good and made him too much a monster, and hence why it was taken out.

I want his shine to hit up, but not be as useful as the old one was.

Also, I want the buffs that I like AFTER I test them and see how they work intensively, yes. Way to make yourself look obnoxious.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
Arkaether, not going to happen until there's at least a decent level of satisfaction, which won't happen until there is enough ability to edit things without brute-forcing *coughthrowscough*.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know it's not going to happen for a while yet. It'd be nice, though. And while we're on the topic, I'd like a unicorn, as well. A flying unicorn.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
QFT!!

Which brings me to my second point: although a character may play "fine" without changes, if the character can be edited to be deeper and more enjoyable for those who main the character while still retaining balance, it should not be rejected. For example, falco's shine buff: Falco mains were willing to trade a nerf to his laser for this buff, in order to retain balance, and were in fact very enthusiastic about it. The shine change adds so much more depth to falco's game, making him a more interesting and fun character. Subjective? Of course. But seeing as the falco mains obviously agree with that statement, it can't really be argued. If the shine change broke falco, then we would not be able to implement it (or at least in its current form). You may not like seeing the way a character's moves work being completely altered, but unless it threatens game balance or if you main said character, you really shouldn't be complaining. I reiterate, falco's lasers were nerfed to facilitate the shine buff. We all have characters we hate to fight, but we shouldn't let that get in the way of making this game deeper or to cloud our judgments of balance.
I could not have put it better myself, excellent Leaf, excellent.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Honestly if the codemakers for Brawl+ keep changing things to "balance" everything out, then Brawl+ will never be completed. I talked to some people, and they're like, "yeah brawl+ is cool but it will never do well on a large scale, so I probably will never take it seriously". This is because Brawl+ is constantly changing with all the buffs and nerfs, so how is anyone supposed to develop a metagame? Brawl+ codemakers need to wrap up what they are doing, forget about balancing the game (because that's impossible), and get realistic. If people want to get serious about getting Brawl+ as a tournament viable game then standards are going to be needed and we can't have standards if Brawl+ is an ever-changing game.

So basically I agree with the OP in that Brawl+ is getting out of hand with all the unnecessary changes, etc.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
BBQ your post is appreciated but this has been stated many times already and I'm certain they know that. I'm hoping for a finalized 4.1 pretty soon so tournaments can go ahead and start up with confidence that things won't change.

Also please if there are any mods reading this, CLOSE THE THREAD ALREADY. It's getting too long and my point has been made. Refer to my earlier post.

Clever_Sleazoid

Smash Apprentice
God, then all those stupid people missing out can wait UNTIL IT IS FINISHED.

RELEASING AN UNFINISHED "FINAL" VERSION IS JUST DUMB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom