• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl is dying in FL... Lets kill it and resurrect melee, who's with me?

OTRU...

Smash Champion
So over the past few months several people who were into this game have stopped playing in CFL, the only place where there are consistently playing in tourneys is SFL, and even the best people in brawl are getting tired of it... Lets bring back Melee and lets start holding tourneys every weekend like last year!!!!

The perfect example are all these huge OOS tourneys that are exclusively melee (Kansas, Georgia...)

Im going to try to hold a big melee tourney at the student union at UCF or somewhere around here, so ill keep u posted. Or maybe Hiroshi could just do that with his upcoming tourney.

LETS KILL BRAWL!!!!!!!!!!!!! tru?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
lol. so much anger and aggression towards brawl. im fine with melee tourneys, but otru acting like its sparta up in this ***** :laugh:

besides, i've always liked chess more than checkers anyway. just sayin...

Leh

Smash Ace
How is brawl dying? Who quit? If people in CFL are quitting in CFL, it certainly isnt affecting SFL. SFL is only getting more players <.<

Leh

Smash Ace
Also

ROFL at the smash community being the only fighting game community unable to have 2 games in it.
You think people quit playing third strike or alpha 3 or w/e when SF4 came out? Or guilty gear is gonna die when Blaz Blue comes out?

Please.....

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
ok leh/matt/afro/mattfro, quite frankly, ive had enough

now is the time for me to know

..what the hell is your avatar. I cant tell what it is and its been bothering me ever since its been there :laugh:

Leh

Smash Ace
ok leh/matt/afro/mattfro, quite frankly, ive had enough

now is the time for me to know

..what the hell is your avatar. I cant tell what it is and its been bothering me ever since its been there :laugh:
Taokaka from Blaz Blue

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Taokaka from Blaz Blue
dunno who that is. At first, i thought it was some weird pikachu abstract art, then i thought it was a robotic looking cat with pony tails, and then i thought it was some small animal riding some larger animal.

Leh

Smash Ace
dunno who that is. At first, i thought it was some weird pikachu abstract art, then i thought it was a robotic looking cat with pony tails, and then i thought it was some small animal riding some larger animal.

Thats Taokaka from Blaz Blue
Shes a Cat
Girl
With
Claws

AKA the best.

Thats the picture im using for my avatar!

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2

Thats Taokaka from Blaz Blue
Shes a Cat
Girl
With
Claws

AKA the best.

Thats the picture im using for my avatar!
oooooooooooh

lol wtf. theres no way i would've been able to decipher that from the avatar without seeing the bigger picture. I should look into this Blaz blue game...

back on topic, this thread is dumb. just have both tourneys in FL. no reason not to...and chess is still better than checkers

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
cause orlando is gay when it comes to venues. gigs is the only lan center in orlando that will host tourneys (lol hardknocks). The play n trades arent interested in them...renting out small hotel conference rooms like the ones used for willVO costs hundreds of dollars. its all just so dumb

Gingerr

Smash Lord
God forbid people in ORLANDO quit, if they quit then the whole Brawl community is doomed!!

rofl. It doesn't matter, Matt would still come and win all of your tournaments regardless.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Also

ROFL at the smash community being the only fighting game community unable to have 2 games in it.
You think people quit playing third strike or alpha 3 or w/e when SF4 came out? Or guilty gear is gonna die when Blaz Blue comes out?

Please.....
Do you realize how much better 3rd Strike is than Brawl? I dont think you do, just because your good at it, doesnt mean its a good game. Alpha 3 is trash, honestly who plays that mess? And Guilty Gear has probably halved in community size since two years ago. No joke, its becoming the elite and thats it, the same direction melee is traveling, with little to no room for newcomers. When you throw names like 3rd strike out there you forget how many times larger its east coast scene is bigger than smash's entire us scene.

Finch

Smash Lord
I completely support this idea in every way. FAST was fun but it would have been even better is there were no brawl days.

Edit: Actually I take that back. I probably had the most fun on brawl doubles day when most people just played melee the whole time.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
sadly, nick's roomates are pretty gay about the idea of another house tourney...well, one of them anyway. and one is all it takes

Life After Death

Smash Champion
melee needs to live im remotivated to play melee once again im rdy for those hate matches in melee matt.

Brawl is a horrible game but its fun at least. in the end thats goign to be the conclusion. brawl is not entertaining to the crowd only to the player playing lol while melee is both fun to play and watch. for most people at least. who da *** lieks to watch ddd fight snake? lol wtf are u trying to look for in that match that makes it fun to watch lool comon melee needs tourneys and attendance.

Leh

Smash Ace
Do you realize how much better 3rd Strike is than Brawl? I dont think you do, just because your good at it, doesnt mean its a good game. Alpha 3 is trash, honestly who plays that mess? And Guilty Gear has probably halved in community size since two years ago. No joke, its becoming the elite and thats it, the same direction melee is traveling, with little to no room for newcomers. When you throw names like 3rd strike out there you forget how many times larger its east coast scene is bigger than smash's entire us scene.
I dont even think Brawl's a good game.
But the point still stands, the smash community is so far the ONLY fighting game community that cant have 2 games played at the same time.

I understand that the 3rd strike scene was larger, and yeah most people i know think Alpha 3 is trash, but its still played (was played at the huge gathering at ZP on friday, and hunter played it with some people at CGX on saturday).

Im just getting into Guilty Gear (only started about 2 or 3 months ago), im mostly preparing for Blaz Blue though.

Col Bol

Smash Champion
I'd hold huge lovable best house tourneys all the time if it were capable and I didn't live with my parents...

I agree with elam for now
Brawl is fun, but that's about it lol

Leh

Smash Ace
melee needs to live im remotivated to play melee once again im rdy for those hate matches in melee matt.

Brawl is a horrible game but its fun at least. in the end thats goign to be the conclusion. brawl is not entertaining to the crowd only to the player playing lol while melee is both fun to play and watch. for most people at least. who da *** lieks to watch ddd fight snake? lol wtf are u trying to look for in that match that makes it fun to watch lool comon melee needs tourneys and attendance.
You need to own me in like 300 matches so i can learn the Falco vs Ganondorf matchup.

HunterSFL

Smash Rookie
renting out small hotel conference rooms like the ones used for willVO costs hundreds of dollars. its all just so dumb
...You do realize that essentially we pay Gigs "hundreds of dollars" every time they hold a tourney there because of how much they rake the pot, right? It's pretty disgusting, to be honest, and it would actually probably be cheaper to rent a small venue for a day then what we wind up giving Gigs now.

e:

Do you realize how much better 3rd Strike is than Brawl? I dont think you do, just because your good at it, doesn't mean its a good game. Alpha 3 is trash, honestly who plays that mess? And Guilty Gear has probably halved in community size since two years ago. No joke, its becoming the elite and thats it, the same direction melee is traveling, with little to no room for newcomers. When you throw names like 3rd strike out there you forget how many times larger its east coast scene is bigger than smash's entire us scene.
Not really sure what you're trying to say with all this. First off, 3S isn't much of a better game then brawl is -- neither is an exceptional game, really, and they're actually extremely similar. And if you doubt my credibility when it comes to 3S, I'll be glad to money match you for any amount at any tournament you're at.

But anyway, the point is, I don't see how any of what you said has anything to do with what Matt said. He's saying there's no reason why smash tournaments can't host both games. The size of the community and whether it's growing or shrinking is irrelevant. The Marvel scene in FL is almost non-existent, and Marvel is the game with the highest intolerance for new players...yet it's always held at every FL fighting game tournament.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
...You do realize that essentially we pay Gigs "hundreds of dollars" every time they hold a tourney there because of how much they rake the pot, right? It's pretty disgusting, to be honest, and it would actually probably be cheaper to rent a small venue for a day then what we wind up giving Gigs now.
but thats through pot ****. if we rent a venue we (essentially I) have to pay up front these hundred or hundres of dollars. No one ive found is just going to let me give them door fee money after the tourney is over. They want it all beforehand, and i usually dont have 200+ dollars to blow just to secure a venue for a day

PolMex23

Smash Champion
200 $ up front...

5 $ door fee...

you need atleast 40 peeps...

80 peeps show....400...

We need to talk to Hardknocks...some1 dresss in a suit an talk to the manager/ owner cuz there missing out....

HunterSFL

Smash Rookie
but thats through pot ****. if we rent a venue we (essentially I) have to pay up front these hundred or hundres of dollars. No one ive found is just going to let me give them door fee money after the tourney is over. They want it all beforehand, and i usually dont have 200+ dollars to blow just to secure a venue for a day
Yeah well, if you don't have the money to put up front, that's one thing, but it doesn't change the point.

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
oh, crap looks like i gotta get good at melee again...time to shine in tournaments now, chopz you'll have to **** my marth until i'm tournament ready...lets play melee!!!

Finch

Smash Lord
Gigs ***** the pot because smash tournaments cost them a business day. They're not gonna lose money just so they can watch a bunch of kids play smash.

Top Bottom