• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

V

Smash Ace
So you like every aspect of MK but don't like playing MK ? Sure ok why not.

Three best punishing character are ZSS, IC and Snake.
There's no particular order because they all vary on how easily and how heavily they punish.
I'm just bored with MK that's all. I tried ZSS without knowing much about her at all but she seems like she'd be very fun once I learned more about her. I hate ICs and think they're the only ban worthy character in both melee and brawl, and snake isn't agile enough for my liking. I liked fox too for whatever reason.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
You're stuck in some footstool stun animation for a while (can't act out of it at all), and if you hit the ground during that time you can't tech.
I don't know the exact duration of the stun though.

Some characters have weird footstool animations, like ROB, which leads to him getting infinited by ZSS (D-smash > footstool > d-smash, she dairs out of the footstool but it doesn't hit ROB iirc), and Marth can footstool > tipper dair some characters based on their footstool animation, and iirc Jigglypuff can footstool > rest Wario (and ROB? my memory is hazy)

You can also "footstool" Squirtle out of his side-b which gives him like 2 full seconds (it's enough to reverse warlock punch him rofl) of sitting on his back doing nothing.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Don't forget Ness' obscure Footstall AT's:
Footstall -> DJ nair
Footstall -> Reverse Wavebounced PKF (I have never seen someone do this)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'm assuming you use GW. Whenever you footstool someone, go for the free dair you get and be happy.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Oh I see. Well in that case if I was GW I would mash UpB an hope you don't hit the ground or your opponent doesn't hit you before you can do it. That's all you can do and in 90% of the cases it's the best thing to do.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The common knowledge is that they do
But people also thought they affected grab priority which was proven false >.>

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Port 1 will always grab the ledge first.

I tested it personnally, you can test it with 2 controllers and a custom stage.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I like how this thread has better discussions than the other stickied threads in here

then i remember it's mostly my fault

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Don't credit yourself that much, there are also other friendly users that aren't helping the cause either... A WHOLE BUNCH OF THEM.

JPUF

Smash Rookie
I have a question about getting grabbed, or how not to. What would be your general advice to avoid getting grabbed, but still applying pressure on your opponent? I either run away and achieve nothing, or get grabbed when attacking. I've looked for a thread on it, but I couldn't find one.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I have a question about getting grabbed, or how not to. What would be your general advice to avoid getting grabbed, but still applying pressure on your opponent? I either run away and achieve nothing, or get grabbed when attacking. I've looked for a thread on it, but I couldn't find one.
Oh hi Jpuf, Looks like the UK is leaking!

If you want to avoid getting grabbed while still maintaining pressure, you want to use good spacing, if you didnt know, this is basically attacking a person with only the very edge of the hitbox (think of it as trying to 'tipper' everything like you're using marth). and if you do it right, you'll be too far away to get grabbed by most characters. The art of spacing is something thats absolutely vital for me and my Ike-play :)

Hope to see you at the next tournament I host!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Two points:
First, spacing is a bit more complicated than that, spacing also requires you to keep in account:
-Your and your opponent's movements, both vertically and horizontally.
-Timings for your movement's cooldown and your opponent's fastest options (upon whiffing, hitting a shield or a hit confirmation).
Proper spacing is very deep and is not easy, and you might lose a lot before learning how to do it, but in the long run is very rewarding.

Second, how to avoid getting grabbed depends on your character.
Pretty sure that you might still get grabbed even if you space well as Luigi.
You also need to know your own options and think about what will you do after you move. If after attacking you hold shield everytime you'll get grabbed. If you roll everytime you'll get punished. If you attack everytime you'll get punished too.

The "secret" to avoid getting grabbed is to mix up everything you do, and the timings in which you do it.

As a fun fact, at the beginning of a match I always grab a lot, that conditions my opponents not to hold shield and roll or attack instead; then I wait for them to act and punish them accordingly. When they cant up I start to grab a lot again. Pretty simple, and at the mid level we are at, pretty effective.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
I dont really see the point on conditioning that though

if anything just grab a bit then change it up with pivot grabs. also Pivot grabs beat regular grabs IIRC learning how to do retreating Pivots properly does wonders when trying not to get grabbed

main reason why i love grabs at low%s especially is cause the string potential on grabs is great

JPUF

Smash Rookie
If you want to avoid getting grabbed while still maintaining pressure, you want to use good spacing
Thanks, I guess I need to focus on keeping myself as far from their grab range as possible (whilst still in range). I found myself ploughing a lot of moves into shield, which obviously gets me grabbed.
I'm pretty sure I can make it to the next tourney, especially for the return of the Ganons (money match?). Blastzone was great :)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah that will be cool, you're in SmashUK facebook group right? I'm gonna announce the next tournament later tonight :)

And yeah, the ganon team is hype. I dunno how near to them you are, but let them know that I challenge both of them guys to a ganon ditto money match!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Lately I've been feeling disheartened and drained in tourneys (between always losing to a campy Puff, super aggro MK, and always placing the same every tournament) and it's been affecting my gameplay & mentallity severely, can anyone offer advice on how to combat this?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What helped me was to stop caring, at all. While this lowers your overall competitive drive, it helps you deal with whatever is thrown at you and still have fun. I did this by picking up Kirby and just having fun.
This is obviously the last resort, I was almost going to quit when I did this.
Seriously all you can do is to not care, if you do you will always feel like that unless you become much better.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
What helped me was to play other games.
Some fast-paced ones, maybe other fighters to help improve your basics, almost everything BUT slow games like Pokémon, Puzzles or RPGs.
Well, maybe mixing up between everything, but yeah.

Also, play a bunch of friendlies without caring about winning or losing.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You could also give Melee or SSB64 a try to mix things up. That helps me keep my interest a lot and 90% of things carry over between the games.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, I was wondering where that thing went...I also tried looking on Youtube, but nope. :x

Thank you, that's a great thread. Even if it may seem something simple to consider and learn, it has it uses for other characters.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Yo to anyone that can test this/is in the smash lab/knows this already/etc

Is it true that MK takes 20% more knockback if you hit him out of tornado?

C.J.

Smash Master
I've never heard of that/doubt it's true. I've beaten many MK's nado before and, other than bad DI, they don't die earlier than usual.

I may be wrong though.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
You take 20% extra knockback while charging smashes but I've never heard of someone taking extra knockback because they were doing a special.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I was just practicing and was wondering how many people use R to shield, or L for that matter?
So what's your poison, L or R? L for me.

Top Bottom