• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I am very weird for some reason I set L to shield and also B to shield(R= attack) ,for some reason or another and it seemed to me that I subconsciously wanted L for glide tossing and normal shields , whilst B was for putting up with crap like falcos lasers and other projectile trolls.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Hello from the Smash Bros 4 forums! Anyways I'm setting up brackets for Brawl and deciding the rules for my school's Video Game Tournament and I was just asking for advice on the following areas for Brawl: -Specifics on allowed rules/stages/ time restraints in stock
- How to set up a 50 or 100 person bracket effectively for 4 player matches (I know, I know but 4 players is the best we can do for my school's time restraints)
-advice on handling Brawl tournaments altogether

D

Deleted member 189823

You take 20% extra knockback while charging smashes but I've never heard of someone taking extra knockback because they were doing a special.
...This is actually pretty interesting. It's something I'll consider for the future.

Anyway guys.

How do I get good at PS'ing? I'm mostly just getting down Falco's lasers timing down, but I may need it somewhat for Peach's turnips and defenitely against ZSS' item pieces.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Ok this is totally random, but im saying it anyways.

I actually felt like i got really good at power shielding since i got back to Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.
These developpers were mad serious about dat superguard system.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I've never heard of that/doubt it's true. I've beaten many MK's nado before and, other than bad DI, they don't die earlier than usual.

I may be wrong though.
You take 20% extra knockback while charging smashes but I've never heard of someone taking extra knockback because they were doing a special.
You guys just echoed my thoughts on the matter lol

Rayfk4

Smash Rookie
Hey all, got any advice on who I should "sub-main"? I only do casual play, but the people I play with are all pretty good, probably just a tier below tournament play. We all know basic ATs and all know how to read playstyles of other players and set things up at a basic level (though like I said, not enough to win tourney play except maybee like one game). We are also very competitive with each other.

My true main is snake, who is pretty much my best character against all match ups save for characters I can chaingrab with D3, where D3 is equal to, sometimes better than snake. However, not ever playing for money I like to mix it up a lot, and I was wondering if there would be a good main/secondary combo that I should pick up as I'm getting a little bored with snake ATM. My house is holding a 8 man tourney soon and I'm thinking of not using snake at all in it.

My characters that I can play on a comparable level to snake, in order from best to worst, are:
:dedede:
:metaknight:/:zerosuitsamus:
:marth:
And maybe :popo: if I could ever get the chain grab down consistently

The characters that I play against regularly, in order of toughest for me to beat to easiest (which depends as much on skill level of the 7 people I play against consistently as the match ups, in case the order seems wierd), are :
:diddy:
:zelda:
:lucas:
:falco:
:pikachu2:
:marth:
With a significant albeit minor drop off with the following characters
:gw:
:toonlink:
:lucario:
:ike:

Basically, the only people who use g&w and below are, while comparable, definitely at a low skill level than me. Basically, the Bain of my existence is my housemates diddy who I can only ever beat when I'm using snake or MK. My ZSS is better than my D3 against Pika and Zelda, while my D3 is my best for any matchup for anything not mentioned. Also, if the character is chaingrab-able it's a roflstomp when I use D3. The tourney is money, so I want a good 1-2 combo where I can compete well. Marth and MK are by far my two newest characters, with Marth being the most fun to play out of all of my characters atm and with the biggest room for improvement. He is also my worst though. Any advice on what characters would be fun to play and get better with?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Snake, DDD, MK.
Snake is your main so stick with him.
DDD can CG people, so he doesn't require practice.
Practice with MK.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
DDD could use some practice against people he can't grab easily like Wario or Diddy, but yeah, he's a pretty simple character.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
So I was told a while ago that there's no difference between shields in how much damage they can take before they break. Can anyone confirm/deny pls. Also provide source if possible
Same goes for whether ports affects grabs (ie if 2 chars grab each other on the same frame, the person who succeeds depends on the port and isn't random)

Yo to anyone that can test this/is in the smash lab/knows this already/etc

Is it true that MK takes 20% more knockback if you hit him out of tornado?
Also still waiting for a response to this

Heartstring

Smash Legend
So I was told a while ago that there's no difference between shields in how much damage they can take before they break. Can anyone confirm/deny pls. Also provide source if possible
Same goes for whether ports affects grabs (ie if 2 chars grab each other on the same frame, the person who succeeds depends on the port and isn't random)

Also still waiting for a response to this
Not sure about the shield thing, But port1 has grab priority over port2/3/4 and such.

Also, MK getting hit out of tornado does not increase his knockback.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Oh, well my source was a mix of other people saying it, and assuming it works the same way as it does in melee.If you got the program for it I can imagine you'll be able to test it frame-by-frame if you wanted.

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
I have a question:

Why is it I feel like I lose all my skill overnight? It seems like after certain days of playing amazing the next day I can't play well at all. I normally play Brawl alone against lv9 cpus and on the good days I 3-stock them all no problem (especially the bad characters like Link, Ganon, Falcon can't touch me). I just can't figure out why. I saved some good matches and it seems like I'm playing the same as I was before but its just harder to dodge, edge guard etc.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Uh..this thread isn't really for addressing problems beating CPUs lol

So, on that note, I see you're from Canada. Where in particular?

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
I can beat them every time lol. I was more talking about how to keep up overall consistency. I aim for perfection when I play alone and if I don't 3 stock I L+R+A+Start because I know I'm better than that. This happens against people too (I don't rage quit against people btw), its just I play against cpus on a more regular basis because all of my Nintendo friends moved far away for school and my other friends only play the new "hip" games like COD lmao. I have no internet either (besides one room) so I can't face people online.

And Ontario lol

D

Deleted member 189823

Alright. This question...is very basic. But I've realized that I may have gotten the wrong idea of what it actually is, from the very beginning.

What is an approach?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Yes shields all have exactly the same health. (yoshi might be different idk)
No, ports do not effect grab priority, it's random

No I don't have sources, you can probably test the latter out yourself with frame-by-frame stuff or pause buffering or something.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Alright. This question...is very basic. But I've realized that I may have gotten the wrong idea of what it actually is, from the very beginning.

What is an approach?
An approach is the act of...well, approaching your opponent. Closing the distance, etc.
What you do during an approach is limited only by your character and your imagination. Although every character has a set 'approach' that is considered their best.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
So I was practicing Peach ATs, I found out that I could delay an item toss or dash attack during a foxtrot (when you tap the control stick in one direction and release to do a short dash) by pressing A right before the actual dash stopped. I would slow down from stopping and then do the toss/DA with normal dash speed. Does this have a name?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
It works with everyone and just call it delayed _____.

It works because you're still in your initial dash animation.

All you're doing is delaying it :l

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
All shields have the same health
http://smashboards.com/threads/shield-frame-data-somewhat-complete.219264/

Grab priority is random, just pick 2 of the same character (2 lucarios, 2 mks...) in vs mode, then press start, hold grab on both controllers and repress start. They will grab at the same frame and it'll always be random.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Hmm. I guess that means I'll also have to test to see if port priority still applies to training mode (you know cause there's one 'real' port and 1-3 comps) by testing to see if the grab interruption knockback stuff is also determined by port priority.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
the hell does my brother think hes ddoing going out to get a haircut at 4:30 on christmas eve

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I thought Social Threads are supposed to be social and not strictly on-topic.

D

Deleted member 189823

An approach is the act of...well, approaching your opponent. Closing the distance, etc.
What you do during an approach is limited only by your character and your imagination. Although every character has a set 'approach' that is considered their best.
I was asking because I was beginning to doubt what it actually meant, and what I thought it meant. Whenever I would pick up a new character, my first question would be, "What does he/she approach with?". What I understood by that was probably generally "what is their most common attack to approach the opponent with?"- Which would mean I would really limit the way I play into very few moves and usually the same pattern.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Hmm. I guess that means I'll also have to test to see if port priority still applies to training mode (you know cause there's one 'real' port and 1-3 comps) by testing to see if the grab interruption knockback stuff is also determined by port priority.
Maybe a bit late to answer but w/e :
Comps in trainiing mode have the corresponding ports for their spawning order. And if by grab interruption knockback you mean something like the Omnigay or anything that involves a Snake and a grenade then it is true that cthe character with the highest port (4) will always get the armor when a hitbox hits both the grabber and the grabbee.
Of course if the hitbox doesn't hit both only one will recieve knockback.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Hey guys, how do you perform a reverse attack from a dash?
example: Dash to turnaround D-smash/Ftilt/Jab

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Obviously :p
I was asking for information that might help me during practice.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
learn to foxtrot
then learn to turn around dtilt without seeing yourself crouch or turn
then do both together?
I have no problems foxtrotting, but I'm having troubles using dsmash/up-tilt/d-tilt on the other side without crouching or turning.

D

Deleted member 189823

Is there something wrong with zoning? Someone told me to stop "hitting the air", but I throw out attacks to zone out my opponent to not let them in. I'd understand that in the case of MK against a slower character he can come in, wait for you and dash grab.

Top Bottom