• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

Bobwama

Smash Rookie
You misunderstand what I'm saying (or I am misunderstanding what platform cancelling entails). What I'm talking about occurs when already standing on the platform, and really has nothing to do with what I understand platform cancelling to be, besides perhaps abusing the same mechanics. While standing on the platform, if you press down to drop-through, and then either tap C-stick down or press A with the right timing, the character will perform the start of their drop-through animation, but then bounce back up to a normal, standing position. The amount that they fall is much less than the point at which you would PC.

Thanks for the link to the post though - it's very informative, and answers a lot of thoughts that I had while messing around with actual platform cancelling.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Drifting isn't actually a thing that helps, it doesn't exist.
You can't affect your horizontal momentum just by holding left/right until knockback ends.
Uh, yes you can.
It's not as noticeable as jumping but drifting after your aerial/airdodge has started helps canceling your momentum.

It's all about vectors, man.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think the best way to platform cancel is to hold down and input a direction other than down on the Cstick when you want to platform cancel. Use a direction that gives you the best aerial in case you screw up.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I agree with -LzR- except it doesn't necessarily need to be a smash. I easily platform cancel with any command, usually walks/runs by holding down and inputting said command and it works fine.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yes, you are holding down and using the Cstick to platform cancel. The down + direction is irrelevant.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Oh you mean buffering a run after the platform cancel? If yes then that's how I do it too. I thought you mean't some weird thing like running before and whatever. Sorry.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Well if you want to be technical about it then the easiest way to PC would be to hold down, and then just let go of down (ie let the stick return to neutral) when you go through.
Or everybody could just read this thread and stop arguing pointlessly about it here

CF711

Smash Apprentice
I have a major problem performing tilts. Any advice on how to get better at them (other than practice) or an easier way to perform them that wouldn't cause me to not be able to DI?

Jamwa

Smash Champion
How do you practice Perfect Shielding, Buffering, Platform Cancelling and the like?
Perfect shielding I like to practise against friends, by dashing and (hopefully) perfect shielding an aerial or projectile (as a form of approach). You get kinda used to it as you play, and it's not only for approaching.
Against Falco I just absorb the lasers : ]

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Uh, yes you can.
It's not as noticeable as jumping but drifting after your aerial/airdodge has started helps canceling your momentum.

It's all about vectors, man.
There's vids from like 2008 showing that holding a direction during knocback doesn't do anything.....

Sar

Smash Journeyman
I have a major problem performing tilts. Any advice on how to get better at them (other than practice) or an easier way to perform them that wouldn't cause me to not be able to DI?
I used to have this problem as well. I think a thing that helped me out a lot was getting used to walking. I always used to dash, so my fingers were used to smashing direction on the control stick - no finesse involved. If you can get used to walking on command, it's more-or-less the same finger movements as tilting.

Aidebit

Smash Journeyman
Another question; why do some upward angle attacks send you into the ground? It happens to me the most with Ike's Up Tilt.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
That's not exactly how it works.
From what I've been told, you can't SDI down+tech any move where the knockback has any sort of upward angle at all (the move has to have either entirely horizontal knockback, or lower than that). I know that this is because if you're on the ground, you can't SDI down, but apparently it doesn't even work with trying to SDI up and THEN down and tech (sounds hard but not too hard with DSSDI).
I know I personally have tried thousands of times to SDI up-->down+tech the usmash from an ICs 0-death, and it's never worked.

However, I have noticed that at LOW %s, for whatever reason, you can simply hold down and you'll DI moves with vertical knockback downward. I've seen it happen with Lucas' usmash, Pikachu's usmash and Olimar's usmash, and I've done it before.

ie what Jamwa is telling you isn't entirely true. I think he might be correct about having to be in the air when getting hit to be able to SDI down and tech, but you can definitely just hold down on the analog and tech and it'll work..at least for the examples I listed.
If you watch Mr.R vs Quiksilver from Agon2 (both sets, WSF and LF) you'll see Mr.R DI+SDI down and tech very often when at kill%s, though he only does this when getting hit by a kill move out of dsmash stun (when you're in dsmash stun, you're in the air) and with a sideB while he was in the air. You can definitely just hold down for the ZSS dsmash things, but as for sideB you'll probably have to SDI as well if you're too high above the stage.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
I wasn't aware you could DI into the ground when being hit up if you are hit from the ground.
I thought DI only changes launch angle..
I understand how if you DI down against Lucas' usmash you'll drop onto the ground, because that has a startup hitbox which would hit you into the air, and then you DI into the ground after being hit by the big hitbox
But using that example for Pikachu and Olimar seems impossible to me, I thought they only had 1 hitbox clarified below

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I guess I forgot to mention that with Pikachu and Olimar, it only occurred after fthrow-->usmash and dthrow-->usmash respectively. So the opponent was in the air.

BlueBandit

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I apologize in advance if this isn't really the right place for this, but I figured it's an advice thread so maybe you guys could help me.
Me and my friend have been getting into competitive smash and are planning on going to tournaments soon. Could anyone perhaps critique us on our performance in this video?
I'd like to get some character-specific tips, but if you have any general information to share to help us improve then by all means please do.
Thanks much in advance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORLaeRGoYPA

Ghostbone

Smash Master
You can platform drop out of shield (even yoshi can despite not having other OoS options)
It's just difficult because you have to press down fast enough to drop through but slow enough not to spot-dodge.
You can angle the control stick slightly to make it easier.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
You can do it during shieldstun, yes. Or you can just do it at any time that you're shielding.

Do it too hard/fast and you'll spotdodge. Do it not hard/fast enough and you'll tilt your shield downward. Try it out for yourself.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I heard this was an advice thread. What's the best way to get my weiner to look like a microphone?

V

Smash Ace
In the current meta game which characters have tools that excel at punishing player mistakes and habits? I play marth and sheik in melee and I've been playing marth and mk in brawl for a long time so I'm looking to try some new characters that excel at punishing and finding holes in player's styles. I like characters with good aerials that aren't forced to camp.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Snake is probably the best at punishing when you make a read in the game. (Well, aside from Ice Climbers reading your landing)

V

Smash Ace
Yeah snake was one of the characters I was looking at. MK is way too boring now but I would still use marth. I was also thinking of falco, pikachu, wario, and possibly zss but I'm not too fond of items (even though armor pieces are broken). I like characters that can control space either with range or good movement, can kill at decent percents, good grab setups, at least above average recovery, good oos options, and can edgeguard.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
So you like every aspect of MK but don't like playing MK ? Sure ok why not.

Three best punishing character are ZSS, IC and Snake.
There's no particular order because they all vary on how easily and how heavily they punish.

Top Bottom