• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
It doesn't take any frames, so a buffered turnaround dtilt would still take 5 frames. It's the same for every character.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
If you buffer a turn around and an action, it comes out the same time as if you only performed the action.

For instance, if Fox dairs you and are in front of him and he upsmashes you, it would come out in the same time as if he daired you and you are behind him (assuming the turn around upsmash was buffered).
Sorry if this was kinda answered :x

C.J.

Smash Master
Interesting @ the buffered turn around stuff. Glad I got to learn something new; it does make sense.

:phone:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
I know I asked something like before just need a little more clarification

What landing would u classify zair landings?
Like toon links, links, Lucas,etc

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Which is to say two frames of landing lag on a soft landing and four frames on a hard landing.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
A soft landing is when you land on the ground before you reach the maximum normal fall speed (done by shorthopping without fastfalling, landing on a platform before you fall downward "too much," etc.).

A hard landing is when you land on the ground when you're at or exceeding the maximum normal fall speed (done by fullhopping or fastfalling at any point).

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Oh okay cool.

Wait...what if you're playing like Lucario and you've reached your max normal fall speed, but then you dair right before you hit the ground so when you actually hit the ground you're below that speed?

In another words, is it a matter of whether or not you landed before/after hitting that speed, or the speed with which you hit the ground?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
How can I improve my offstage game? When I play high level players sometimes I can do ok or even go even with themon the stage, but when they get me offstage they always hit me so many times and easily kill me there. I use mk, falco, and lucario. Maybe it would help If i saved a replay of this happening. Thankyou to anyone that answers.

SSS

Smash Ace
So I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between Hyphen Smashes, Boost Smashes, and DACUS? Any help?

Also Boost Grabs, what is that?

I also am not sure what buffering is. How does one buffer a grab during a Falco (etc.) chaingrab?

Finally, what is wavebouncing, and can I do it without B-sticking?

Please and thank you.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Hyphen smashing is just dashing and upsmashing with the sliding momentum from your dash.

I....don't know what a boost smash is.

DACUS = dash attack cancelled up smash. Its when you interupt a dash attack with an upsmash, usually to increase the distance you slide when upsmashing, but some characters can also hit with both the dash attack and upsmash.

Boost grabs IIRC are dash attack cancelled grabs.

Buffering is just.... actually just read this thread.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=302576

C.J.

Smash Master
Boost smash is the "technical" term for dacus so it is consistent with boost grabs

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Buffering doesn't cancel lag. When you land on the ground, you have a few frames of lag no matter what. Buffering a move just makes it so that if you press the input for a second command during a first command (in your case, we'll say airdodge -> grab), you can press the grab command earlier than the character can actually do it, and he'll do it as soon as he would normally be able to. That works because when you're in one animation, you can't cancel it with another, so pressing other inputs won't do anything until the first animation is over.

tl;dr--If you press an input during the animation of another move (that is to say, a little earlier than you'd want it to come out), it will come out as soon as possible, so you don't have to time it perfectly to get it out as soon as possible.

C.J.

Smash Master
SDI is when you make a DI input during hitlag to move your character.

Shield SDI is the exact same thing during shield hitlag.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Mirror shield isn't a shield, it's more relatable to a counter, a reflector or things like that (Mario's cape).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
after the shine period that reflects things, when you hold it out it acts EXACTLY like a shield though.

and since were talking about shield. link standing still. how does that factor into this convo.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
For lack of a better description, it just...is. It counts as a surface for lasers to stop on, as if they hit a shield, character, or another hittable hurtbox.

Top Bottom