• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Faq

Wumbo

Smash Rookie
sorry if this is irrelevant in every way (ever chance i spelt that wrong) but i've only read the first 2 pages and this has really annoyed me - read Peachys comments, i wonder how she thinks she comes across, knowledgable and good at arguing.. or an argumentitive person with a warped view on.. well everything.

on topic yo - this looks sweet!! i still havn't played out melee to the end of its life yet, so theres no chance ill be playing brawl+ anytime soon - but its nice to know i could get good a a tournament legal and modern smash game. nothing will beat melee but id like to be the best mario in UK at some form of brawl.
i am by no means best mario in uk at melee lol, just realised i may have insinuated that.

either way good luck guys! cant wait for this project to really lift off, if it attracts the melee pros like clod and suh word will spread fast!!

GL! :D

off topic response:

peachy dresses her posts up nice, with bright colors and emoticons. How can you argue with that?

peachy's doesnt actually bother me as much as the people who say "I ALREADY HAVE MELEE LOL" ... because, this isn't melee. B+ makes Brawl another smash game.

on topic response:

it most certainly is sweet! and it has been lifting off nicely, chudat was converted to B+ recently, there is a tourney scene, and there is an increase in the amount of people i see in the IRC chat going "Help me setup B+"

speaking of which, if your reading this, TRY B+. It rocks! we can help you in the IRC chat.

If that isn't enough for you it has a raphael (TMNT) skin for squirtle. I just discovered this and it just so happens to be the cutest thing i've ever seen.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Why is the "lag when you hit with an attack" gone? I'm talking the time when both characters "froze" when you hit them with the knee for example. It makes the knee less epic and makes smash DI impossible.

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
They lowered hitlag because they felt it slowed the game down too much. They set electric hitlag to 1.0. Before it was 1.5x hitlag, but you can't SDI in electric hitlag so they removed it. I think.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
They lowered hitlag because they felt it slowed the game down too much. They set electric hitlag to 1.0. Before it was 1.5x hitlag, but you can't SDI in electric hitlag so they removed it. I think.
Sorry, but the "I think" rendered the entire reply useless.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Jiangjunizzy, please add the question "Will there be a tier list for Brawl+?"
This is a FAQ, there are so many people asking this question.
And the answer is basically "Brawl+ aims to be balanced, the codeset is constantly changing so there will not be a tier list until a gold release."

The FAQ said:
What can I do to optimize online play/Why does Brawl+ feel horrible online?

All you really need to do is turn off the buffering code that is included with the Plussery codeset. Other than that, Brawl+ should feel fine online.
Might wanna remove that one. >.>

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Why is the "lag when you hit with an attack" gone? I'm talking the time when both characters "froze" when you hit them with the knee for example. It makes the knee less epic and makes smash DI impossible.
It was removed primarily for cosmetics sake. With a faster paced game that encourages combos, the hitlag was just slowing things down. It was actually not uncommon for medium strength moves like Marth's DASH ATTACK to have 10+ frames of hitlag, which is a very long time to be frozen in place.

The reduction was also to make DIing moves properly on reaction a little more difficult, as you have less time to determine that you've been hit, much less which move you've been hit by. The hitlag is still high enough to time a smash DI (you can go for more with QCDI, but I don't want to risk ruining my trajectory on most moves).

Electric hitlag was brought back up however (not to it's full amount, but it's higher than the rest of the game). This was to fix ZSS's stun combos, which turned out to function primarily on hitlag (they actually have very little stun, it's the fact that they're both projectiles and freeze the opponent FOREVER with hitlag :p)

Hitlag is not something that will be raised (you'd be suprized how slow the game feels with an extra 4-5 frames of doing nothing every time someone gets hit. Multihit moves in particular really slow things down).

empty

Smash Cadet
Hi just got Brawl+ and although I'm digging the changes I'd like to request 1 thing:

1) - Can you somehow make the R and L button on a gamecube controller respond as soon as pressure is put on it? In melee the light shield would show when some pressure was on the trigger then a strong shield when the button is fully down. In brawl, the button does nothing until it is all the way down. It has totally destroyed my timing.
I've tried mapping shield to X or Y but I just can't get used to it...

Plz help :) I can't be the only one who hates the shield button in brawl.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
It was removed primarily for cosmetics sake. With a faster paced game that encourages combos, the hitlag was just slowing things down. It was actually not uncommon for medium strength moves like Marth's DASH ATTACK to have 10+ frames of hitlag, which is a very long time to be frozen in place.

The reduction was also to make DIing moves properly on reaction a little more difficult, as you have less time to determine that you've been hit, much less which move you've been hit by. The hitlag is still high enough to time a smash DI (you can go for more with QCDI, but I don't want to risk ruining my trajectory on most moves).

Electric hitlag was brought back up however (not to it's full amount, but it's higher than the rest of the game). This was to fix ZSS's stun combos, which turned out to function primarily on hitlag (they actually have very little stun, it's the fact that they're both projectiles and freeze the opponent FOREVER with hitlag :p)

Hitlag is not something that will be raised (you'd be suprized how slow the game feels with an extra 4-5 frames of doing nothing every time someone gets hit. Multihit moves in particular really slow things down).
Actually, I'm not the one asking, I went to show b+ to melee players again and this is what they said.

What's QCDI? And how do you smash DI when there's zero hitlag? I see no visible hitlag on falcons knee, it's true I didn't in melee either and I like it the way it is, but I'm not the on asking and I need a better answer for them.

Almas

Smash Lord
There is hitlag, it is just less.

QCDI is Quarter Circle DI. It's essentially just a method of performing Smash DI: you roll the analogue stick in a quarter circle around the direction you want to go. So if I want to SDI Down, I'd roll between Downleft/Down/Downright.

The method is effective because the analogue stick will not accept the same input twice in a row (you'd have to return it to neutral otherwise), but it will register an input of a new direction. The C-Stick must be returned to neutral before another input can be put in.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
There is hitlag, it is just less.

QCDI is Quarter Circle DI. It's essentially just a method of performing Smash DI: you roll the analogue stick in a quarter circle around the direction you want to go. So if I want to SDI Down, I'd roll between Downleft/Down/Downright.

The method is effective because the analogue stick will not accept the same input twice in a row (you'd have to return it to neutral otherwise), but it will register an input of a new direction. The C-Stick must be returned to neutral before another input can be put in.
That made sense, thank you.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Can Nintendo ban me if I play online with Homebrew Channel in my Wii but not hacking? Can Nintendo ban me if I hack in online friendlies?

Key

Smash Rookie
Is it jsut me or b+ does not run as smootly as the vanilla. i feel there's a little decrease in the frame rate. Any ways to fix this?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I'm tempted to try out Brawl+, but there's one small thing that I have to clear up, first. If I hacked my Wii so that it could play Brawl+, what are the chances of me screwing up my whole Wii console? It sounds like fun, but I don't want to ruin my entire console just for a game hack.

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
Very slim to nil. Unless you screw with WADs and other system files, you're not going to brick your Wii.

If you stick with just using codes (that is, you don't intend on using all of homebrew's capabilities), you'll be fine.

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
I'm tempted to try out Brawl+, but there's one small thing that I have to clear up, first. If I hacked my Wii so that it could play Brawl+, what are the chances of me screwing up my whole Wii console? It sounds like fun, but I don't want to ruin my entire console just for a game hack.
Please keep in mind that you are not technically "hacking" your Wii. You are simply installing software that allows you to do something not originally intended by Nintendo. This is called "softmodding".

At no point are you forced to take apart your Wii, install a sautering chip, or physically alter it in any way.

Because of this, it is nearly impossibly to damage your Wii by installing Brawl+; and as far as I know, it has never happened.

Please check your private messages for additional information.

Wing

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Thanks guys. One last question about Brawl+: maybe I'm being paranoid, but I keep worrying that this might be illegal. Whenever people mention it on GameFAQs, it always seems to get modded as illegal activities. And I do NOT want to get into trouble with the law.

5ive

Smash Champion
When you're choosing your character, you'll see a handicap select beside your character panel.
The handicap = buffer. Remember 100% handicap is vBrawl buffer.

Key

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys. One last question about Brawl+: maybe I'm being paranoid, but I keep worrying that this might be illegal. Whenever people mention it on GameFAQs, it always seems to get modded as illegal activities. And I do NOT want to get into trouble with the law.
Dunno if it is legit or not but, even if it is not, no one would care ;)

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Dunno if it is legit or not but, even if it is not, no one would care ;)
Couldn't you theoretically get sued for this sort of thing though?

I know I said one last question before, but now I have another thing I need to query. Just to check, Brawl+ IS free, right?

Revven

FrankerZ

I know I said one last question before, but now I have another thing I need to query. Just to check, Brawl+ IS free, right?
This is not in any way, illegal. All we are (the hackers anyway) doing is changing the game around to what we want it to be like. The code is already there, we're basically using what's already there and twisting it around. We aren't selling it, we aren't making a profit off of it, therefore Nintendo shouldn't care. (If anything, it would make them MORE money).

Brawl+ is free... duh... what kind of question is that? Seriously? o_O

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
hey man, you never know lol. thats just a good sign that someone is trying to scam you though.

this is the same deal as modding a PC game...only without it being on PC. the dev's aren't gonna care, they already made their money off of us buying brawl anyways lol

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice

I wrote an entire, comprehensive guide on how to install Brawl + from top too bottom. Everything you need and how to do it for NTSC Wiis.

At the bottom of the guide I put my full name and address. That's how confident I am that Nintendo is just blowing smoke and that they aren't actually going to do anything.

If I get sued you'll be the first to know.

Wing

Sonic24

Smash Apprentice
does anyone know any other site where i can download brawl+? because it says that this link is broken

bleyva

Smash Ace
i've got a (stupid) question:

why do people say that projectiles cant be changed, all the while several changes have been made to projectiles such as samus' missiles?

Top Bottom