• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ (Competitive Hacks): Codes, Videos, and Discussion (THREAD OUT OF DATE)

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
get auto l cancel on here but leave the manual cancel on for those who wish to keep it.

better hitstun
shield stun
greatness

Oracle

Smash Master
Do you people realize that auto l canceling wouldn't even be a tech? It would just be removing lag. Easily.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Its not our fault that Nintendo programmed moves to have auto l canceling already which is one reason why manual l canceling doesn't completely solve the problem.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Kyd is right. The hacks are for those to customise the game how they want it, whether or not it's auto, that will be the tournament directors decision (assuming tournament play) So it's really kinda pointless to argue about.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Regardless, a general consensus should result from the discussion. As long as we come up with some sort of rule set to generally choose from, offer all opportunities, Auto or not and give the pros and cons of all. Since we can't simply agree on something, the information for both should just be summarized for the world to choose at its liking. And who knows, that world might just pick something.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
want the auto cancel argument to end? create landing lag for all aerials...

which seems more extreme?
Man, that would be tedious to do even if we could do that. I don't mind, though. These videos still look awesome. Yay for combos! :)

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yes TO's make the decision, but SBR will be joining the discussion and are interested in hacking the game so we should be ready

Fact:
Out of 195 aerials in the game, 73 aerials are programmed to be auto l canceled

Fact:
From the time you bought the game, you have been playing with a partial auto l canceled "hack"

Source: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169171 (The title is misleading)

I don't really hear anyone complain about these moves being auto l canceled so why can't the rest be? There are a lot of moves that are not auto l canceled but don't really need to be because of minuscule lag or they are too quick that it hardly effects the player. So this theoretically makes the number of auto l canceled moves more than 73.

If you are ok with playing the game with auto l canceling, why are you opposed to this hack?

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
A code that limits the amount of times you can grab the ledges like how tether recoveries do would be pretty neat. It would make ledgecamping not as bad.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Fact:
Out of 195 aerials moves in the game 73 aerials are programmed to be auto l canceled

Fact:
From the time you played the game, you have been playing with a partial auto l canceled hack
I find the word choice in this to be extremely odd... I would have said;

Fact:
Out of 195 aerials moves in the game 73 aerials are programmed to have barely any landing lag

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
is it safe to update the homebrew channel?

edit: it is safe, however, any .ELF programs no longer work. :/
edit: you need to download a .DOL version of the application instead.

on the bright side, SD cards can now be saved on with the newest hbc update!

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
Instead of autocancel why not just use Shield cancel? You can't say it requires any tech skill, and it does the job. For those of you who say that it's too broken because you can land laglessly into a grab or shield etc, metaknight, pit, charizard can all do that with glide attack already. They are countered so it shouldn't be a problem.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Instead of autocancel why not just use Shield cancel? You can't say it requires any tech skill, and it does the job. For those of you who say that it's too broken because you can land laglessly into a grab or shield etc, metaknight, pit, charizard can all do that with glide attack already. They are countered so it shouldn't be a problem.
Because cutting only half of the lag on attacks makes it so you can still actually punish them? Fast attacks become even faster and slow attacks become usable, but the attacks will still have lag, at least. S-cancel actually removes some depth from the game, whereas half lag would only serve to add depth by expanding the combo game and opening up new moves for some characters to use (though not to abuse, unlike what would happen with s-canceling).

Revven

FrankerZ
I accidentally updated my Wii... is there absolutely no chance of getting the Homebrew Channel? =/
If you updated to the latest one Nintendo put out, 3.4, there isn't a workaround yet so no, you cannot get the HBC onto your Wii until there is a workaround.

Blitzmidfielder

Smash Journeyman
Uhhh, oddly enough, Ocarina loaded for me recently, no reason. Got to try out the codes. o_O

It might be me, but I don't notice too much difference with hitstun on. Lives to last less, and it's good to feel 'pulled down' with gravity instead of playing with parachutes. L-canceling is good and noticeable (but it's hard to get off, regardless of how often I can get it off regularly).

It's probably me playing with comps, but Falco's chaingrab ***gotry is still pretty apparent.

KAN

Smash Cadet
Can you use these same codes (no tripping, MAD a.s.o.) for the European game?

MasterRaichu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EddieJ86
3DS FC
2337-4950-9512
So I'm just curious... does anyone else here seem to think that maybe some of the things Brawl is lacking from BOTH the two previous games (Melee and 64, not just one or the other) could be part of the problem with how we play?

- Shield Stun
- Shield Pushing (even during a perfect shield)
- Analog Shielding (light vs condensed shields)

While this is just a small portion of the problem, I think fixing things like this could help the cause of a more playable brawl. I also think toning down/beefing up certain qualities of existing dynamics could even out the gameplay a bit:

- in most cases, Extend the distance traveled when being thrown, without over doing it ALA 64
- tweak up just slightly the hitstun in the existing 1.2 code (BARELY)
- adjust perfect shielding to make it just as difficult to pull of as before, because it's wayyy to easy.
- give just a bit of landing lag to every character that doesn't already have it, because BOTH previous games had it -- and L-canceling for that matter -- for all fighters. To keep Brawl consistent with the original games, it should be there FOR EVERYONE. No one should have automatic canceling.

From there, I would also think that we would have to play test a LOT (essentially, we're all BETA testers for a competitive version of Brawl, so this is necessary before we can really decide on what works and what doesn't, rather than battle it out on these forums). I can imagine that with these modifications, certain characters could need more/less damage/speed/knockback on their various movesets.

Also just for the record, I think if the above modifications were to be made to the game, there would absolutely be no need for Melee Air Dodge (and respectively, wavedashing). Like it or not, this was a Melee-only exploit. In my opinion, I'm not really sure that it belongs in Brawl, and I'm positive that it will never be exactly the same in Brawl as it was in Melee. I think for Brawl to become a competitive game, we need to ditch this exploit and focus on what really makes the essence of Smash Bros competitive. There are also plenty of things that Brawl does right, and I think that it's new air defense is one of them.

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
If you updated to the latest one Nintendo put out, 3.4, there isn't a workaround yet so no, you cannot get the HBC onto your Wii until there is a workaround.
Actually, I heard somewhere that Update 3.4 was out yesterday. If so, then I didn't update it. I updated it two weeks ago to play Sin & Punishment, but that was my most recent update.

MasterRaichu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EddieJ86
3DS FC
2337-4950-9512
I miss the thing in Melee where the lighter you pressed R or L the bigger and dimmer the sheild would be, that in Brawl+ = ownage. :p
Me too. I also miss being able to reflect projectiles back at people. I could never comprehend why they removed that from Brawl. If you want AT's that provide better competition and punishment, that's definitely one of them.

Also, by reading that above post, I realized that you couldn't analog shield in 64... I stand corrected. However, does anyone disagree with me when I say it would probably be good to have this in Brawl anyway? I see it as one of those little nuances that improved Melee from 64, and I can't understand why it doesn't exist now.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
well analog shielding is almost impossible. The game probably can't read partial presses of the L and R buttons, especially since they dont seem to have partial pushes on any other control scheme(except maybe the Wiimote sideways, which is the worst scheme). Not to mention the lack of animation for stronger shields, the most they could do (if this is even possible) is make the shield decay slower with lighter L/R presses.

Adding landing lag to all characters would be glitchy since there are no landing lag animations for them.

I like the idea of shield pushing and decresing the window of perfect shield.

New hitstun code needed...

kupo15

Smash Hero
Me too. I also miss being able to reflect projectiles back at people. I could never comprehend why they removed that from Brawl. If you want AT's that provide better competition and punishment, that's definitely one of them.

Also, by reading that above post, I realized that you couldn't analog shield in 64... I stand corrected. However, does anyone disagree with me when I say it would probably be good to have this in Brawl anyway? I see it as one of those little nuances that improved Melee from 64, and I can't understand why it doesn't exist now.
Same. Esp since the projectile abuse is more than melee, its needed in brawl more than melee
New hitstun code needed...
yea 1.3. I also asked PW for more hitstun via the stale move system today. Hopefully he can do it...

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
- Shield Stun
We've already talked about this extensively, and all agree this is needed.

- Shield Pushing (even during a perfect shield)
Uh... isn't this already in brawl? As for powershielding, one idea presented was to make it so there was a wind effect pushing the attack away during one
- Analog Shielding (light vs condensed shields)
There is no way we're ever going to be able to bring this back.

As for the whole l-cancel thing, which has already been debated endlessly... adding lag to characters will be nigh impossible, while an automatic half lag on every aerial in the game would do just as good of a job if not better to better balance the aerials in the game without forcing generally worse characters to have to overcome yet another technical barrier. It wasn't the presence of an l-cancel mechanic that made the past two games competitive. It was simply what made aerials not be split into two groups - usable and unusable.

Other things we've been talking about include restoring dashdancing to its former glory (aka actually be able to dashdance through the whole of the initial dash animation) and a code that causes normal gravity to be applied to upward vertical momentum, but for a much higher gravity to be applied to downward vertical momentum.

Here's an interesting code everyone should try out.

All Players Teleport Dash - (27 Lines) [Phantom Wings]
80000000 80623320
80000001 00000000
60000006 00000000
60000003 00000001
4A001000 00000000
4A101001 00000000
36000000 00000032
58010000 00000004
DE000000 80008180
58010000 00000060
DE000000 80008180
92210002 00000014
92210003 0000007C
4A001003 00000000
30000038 0000001F
66000001 00000000
30000039 00000020
4A001002 00000000
14000040 4F000000
E200000F 00000000
80100001 00000008
62000000 00000001
E200000F 00000000
80000001 00000000
80100000 00000244
62000000 00000000
E0000000 80008000

Basically when you do a roll dodge, you teleport about the distance of a wavedash.
And it seems like PW is alive somewhere

Edit: HOLY CRAP I JUST DID A WAVEGRAB WITH THIS CODE JUST NOW O_O

Here's an interesting thing though. When teleport dashing, your shield depletes quicker so can't Teleport-Dash Dance all the time.
I just tried out this code... Incredible amounts of awesomeness. Unfortunately, it's also incredibly borked. Although fun, if we used this, the game would degenerate down into pretty much just teleports. Nice to screw around with, though.

Revven

FrankerZ
Actually, I heard somewhere that Update 3.4 was out yesterday. If so, then I didn't update it. I updated it two weeks ago to play Sin & Punishment, but that was my most recent update.
That's the Oct. 23rd update so you're fine, just use HBC Beta 9 and you're okay.

Oracle

Smash Master
Look, about auto l canceling.
The point isn't to balance characters like gannon and ike. The point is to make the game more competitive. People argue that MK and people like that don't need to l cancel because of auto canceling. Bull. It puts in shffling, making it much more fast paced.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Look, about auto l canceling.
The point isn't to balance characters like gannon and ike. The point is to make the game more competitive. People argue that MK and people like that don't need to l cancel because of auto canceling. Bull. It puts in shffling, making it much more fast paced.
I believe Kupo's point is that there isn't much correlation between character strength and requiring L-cancelling, and if there is any, it is that lower tier characters tend to need it more (so deserve the boost that auto-l-cancel would give). It can be argued that it is silly for half the cast to learn an AT when the other half operate at full strength without it.

Essentially, the idea is that any aerial attack which has landing lag (which is actually very few in Brawl), should have less landing lag, for the sake of speeding up the gameplay and improving the combo potential of these characters. Forcing some players to have to press another button in order to get this benefit is somewhat silly.
So lets make it super easy to play as some characters and way harder to play as others...
Anyone who is against an auto l cancel code but is ok that there is auto l canceling spread throughout the game is contradicting themselves
SHFFLing will still be here...

Top Bottom