• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl causes Wii to break down?

Electric-Sachiel

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2337-4294-5850
I have a small group of about close knit group of buddies on this message board that i brawl with though Brawl's wifi service. We brawl each other pretty often almost every other day of the week.

Lately though of the 20 group members that play brawl, more than a quarter of them have had to send their Wii in for repairs. A few of them have blamed them on the Brawl disc and how it may have worn out their Wii.

Now i'd like to ask the frequent brawlers here at Smashboards whether this be true or not?
Have any of you guys experienced frequent break downs with your Wii as a direct result from playing Brawl? Break downs that have forced you to send your Wii to Nintendo for repairs or replacement?

Browny

Smash Hater
now give us some data on how many of your friends store their wiis inside a fully enclosed cabinet with no ventilation etc.

Theres 1000 other things that could cause a wii to break other than specifically brawl :/

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I can't actually imagine a game disk being the cause of that.
It's probably just their fault for ruining the system.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I keep so good care for my gaming devices that my DS looks like it's been just opened from the package after a year. Same for wii and it's remotes.
No way Brawl would do it, it's just a game like others, but a good game.

RedyBz

Smash Cadet
I don't see how a CD can break down the Wii. But funny someone said this to me also that Brawl broke his Wii. But i really don't know how seriously.

Ange

Smash Lord
Brawl cannot break a Wii, but a Wii can have trouble reading Brawl.

This is because the Brawl disc uses dual-layer. Some Wii systems might have trouble reading dual-layer discs due to a dirty laser lens, and this is likely why your friends sended in their Wii systems for repairs.

Electric-Sachiel

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2337-4294-5850

This is because the Brawl disc uses dual-layer. Some Wii systems might have trouble reading dual-layer discs due to a dirty laser lens, and this is likely why your friends sended in their Wii systems for repairs.

Funny thing is that all the individuals that have complained about their Wii breaking down started to complain about the console not reading the Brawl disc and hearing a lot of noise coming from the disc reader.

Then the console suddenly stops reading Brawl and any other game for that matter.
If it was really a problem with a laser lens i think it would have only affected Brawl.

And these guys to the best of my knowledge keep the Wii well ventilated and clean.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
I usually stand my Wii upright and after awhile of playing brawl, the disc would spin loudly in the Wii, to the point that there was a noticeable buzz in the room (I store my Wii out in the open)

So I laid the Wii on its side, the better to open up the ventilation ducts on the bottom, and haven't had any problems since

NightZander

Smash Apprentice
I keep the Wii on all day. I usually play Brawl with Kawaii Poyo all day. The Wii hasn't broken down once... Except for the time that he dropped it(D: ).

Ange

Smash Lord
Funny thing is that all the individuals that have complained about their Wii breaking down started to complain about the console not reading the Brawl disc and hearing a lot of noise coming from the disc reader.

Then the console suddenly stops reading Brawl and any other game for that matter.
If it was really a problem with a laser lens i think it would have only affected Brawl.

And these guys to the best of my knowledge keep the Wii well ventilated and clean.
So youre saying their Wii systems couldnt read ANY game?

Hmm, then if that is the reason, I dont know the answer. Pretty strange, I tell ya.

Dragonoise

Smash Apprentice

Ugh, seriously...This exact scenario happened to me like a few days ago.

I was playing Brawl and the game just errored out, and it wouldn't read any of the discs anymore. I'm in the process of shipping it out, but it's such a huge inconvenience.

Electric-Sachiel

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2337-4294-5850
Ugh, seriously...This exact scenario happened to me like a few days ago.

I was playing Brawl and the game just errored out, and it wouldn't read any of the discs anymore. I'm in the process of shipping it out, but it's such a huge inconvenience.
Indeed. This is exactly what i mean.

I just want to know how Widespread this problem is for Wii and Brawl owners. Cuz apparently rumours are now surfacing on the web that playing Brawl for an extended period of time (over the course of weeks and months) can wear out your console. Possibly causing it to break.

fwb

Smash Cadet
I think really just playing on the wii excessively in general will wear it out anyways. It just 'seems' like it's brawl because brawl makes you play hours on end every day.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Heres some interesting info OP

I got my Wii when it was launched and mother had just bought another one 6 months ago.

The two best ways i can distinguish both of them apart is that the first generation Wii, mine, reads discs quite loudly. Loud enough that when i go to the bathroom just next to this room i can still hear it.

While as my mothers Wii is very quiet...i can barely hear it at all.

Ange

Smash Lord
Yeah, launch models tend to be different than later versions of the same console. Likely cause they find errors, replace old hardware etc, and fixes them when the next set it being made.

@Electric-Sachiel; How old was your friends Wii systems?

My Wii have only failed once to read my Brawl disc, and Ive played this game ALOT.
However, my Wii isnt a launch model, but I dont know... :ohwell:

Electric-Sachiel

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2337-4294-5850
Ange.

The thing is that most of the Wiis that broke down from my Brawl group, were not launch day consoles. Most of them were bought a few months to a year after the Wii was launched.

Meanwhile my launch Wii is still working fine. The only noises it makes are the clicking noises when the game initially loads. But afterwards its fairly quiet throughout the gameplay.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
My first Wii broke down because my family members and I kept tripping over Gamecube wires connected to the Wii, causing the Wii to fall over, and damage it.

It's rediculously hard to not trip over them.....

lcampoy8

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8395-9035
Maybe they played it too much. I notice my wii will get very hot when ever I leave it on for a long time.

My first Wii broke down because my family members and I kept tripping over Gamecube wires connected to the Wii, causing the Wii to fall over, and damage it.

It's rediculously hard to not trip over them.....
lol that happened to me too tho my wii is fine

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Gah...I swear, I need to make a thread to help with this problem, I see it every month at least twice.

While Brawl causes the Wii to seemingly break down, it's because the Wii has a lens that reads the disk and in many cases the lens gets dusty and is unable to read a layered disk like Brawl. It makes wierd sounds, freezes, and a whole bunch of stuff. You have to send it in to Nintendo, they replace the disk drive for you and it's free.

So, in a way Brawl causes the Wii to act up.

trev94

Smash Journeyman

this guys got it

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
O shi-
that's me.
Any recommendations on what cleaner to use or whatever?

And mines a launch model.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!

Exact same scenario happened to me.

Brawl is almost certainly the catalyst, but is definitely not the cause.

Ange

Smash Lord
While Brawl causes the Wii to seemingly break down, it's because the Wii has a lens that reads the disk and in many cases the lens gets dusty and is unable to read a layered disk like Brawl. It makes wierd sounds, freezes, and a whole bunch of stuff. You have to send it in to Nintendo, they replace the disk drive for you and it's free.

So, in a way Brawl causes the Wii to act up.
This is kinda related to what I said in the first page about the laser lens, but you pretty much worded it better than me. This is likely the closest reason we can get.

A funny thing is my Wii never made/makes any noise when I play Brawl (besides loading times), but it used to make ALOT of noise when I played Mario Kart Wii. I later bought one of these cooling fan accessoaries, and the extreme noise stopped.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I've had no problem with the Wii itself, ever. It even once fell off of my dresser and slammed into the floor. Works perfectly still. I had to clean my Brawl disk once or twice (where I put the Wii tends to get dusty over time), but it's all worked fine, and Brawl is probably the game I play on it 95% of the time.

meta--knight

Smash Rookie
It's just the capacity on the disc.I mean seriously think of all that stuff the disc has to handle,Nintendo were lucky they could put in smash history without the disc exploding.The first time I put the disc in it didnt load,the second time it did.I only get the problem of it not loading very rarely and if i do i just take the disc out and put it back in and it works fine.

If any of you are reiceving errors or the disc cant be read or the game dosent even load,just clean it and then put in and out the wii a few time and hope it works.Otherwise send it to get fixed or buy a new one.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
like i said on the bottom of the other page... its the lens being really dusty and cant read a duel layered disc... also smoking next to ur wii will cause your wii to not read duel layered discs. U can send it to nintendo and they will clean ur lens for free. :)

Electric-Sachiel

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2337-4294-5850
like i said on the bottom of the other page... its the lens being really dusty and cant read a duel layered disc... also smoking next to ur wii will cause your wii to not read duel layered discs. U can send it to nintendo and they will clean ur lens for free. :)
You rule out smoking as a cause, at least for my buddies. None of them smoke and live in a smoke free household. :)

Ho-oh

Smash Cadet
Well, the same things has happened to my Wii, but i don't know if Brawl is the fault since i play a lot of other games too, and they have the exact same problems as Brawl(crashing on starting the game, music stopping and so on). I would have sent it in for repair, but i have HBC, so that means bye bye to repair XD

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, the same things has happened to my Wii, but i don't know if Brawl is the fault since i play a lot of other games too, and they have the exact same problems as Brawl(crashing on starting the game, music stopping and so on). I would have sent it in for repair, but i have HBC, so that means bye bye to repair XD
Nahh, you can hide the HBC in the last page of your Wii and they won't find it and they will fix your problem and send it back.

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
Well i know of a friend who actually modded his wii, it began to make weird sounds since then. (could that be your case?)

On a funny side-note

Another friend modded his chip purposely so he could play one layer-disk brawl, stating that since its not dual layer it'll diminish the strain on his wii, hence, enjoy playing more time than anybody else.
Freaky scoundrel guy, i tell ya. xD

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
I've having troubles with my Wii lately but nothing big.

My Wii is going to die soon...

Mashour2

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing my Wii for about 600+ hours, most spent on Brawl. I don't have a single problem in mine.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I usually stand my Wii upright and after awhile of playing brawl, the disc would spin loudly in the Wii, to the point that there was a noticeable buzz in the room (I store my Wii out in the open)

So I laid the Wii on its side, the better to open up the ventilation ducts on the bottom, and haven't had any problems since
My Wii's been doing this lately too...

If your Wii breaks down, and after you send it in will it still have all the save data on it?

SmashLumpy

Smash Rookie
My own Wii stopped reading Brawl for a while but a couple days later it started reading it and has been working fine since.

Top Bottom