• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blog of the Week: The Educational System is near useless..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I'll just leave with one more statement.

There are massively large amounts of people in the exact same situation and mindset as you. "I don't need college! My parents didn't need it! Me and my dad are gonna start a business and we'll be rich and super successful, you'll see!" It almost never works. Just being realistic here.

And I wish you especially good luck if you plan on being shy, quiet, and anti-social in the business world.
And I wish you especially good luck if you plan on starting a business with your father (I think I remember reading that), who is apparently an ex-convict. Seriously, good luck.

No disrespect meant.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303

And how come? People seem to naturally piss me off, without even trying.

I'd think the less I'm around people who make me want to punch their faces in, the better.
I often get the temptation to punch people for how they act, but the thing is, I never seem to show any outwards anger. For that matter, even if inside I'm fizzing with excitement, you'd never tell that from my actions.

Whenever I think 'Right, I'm going to smack him/her across the face for that', I never actually do... Just as well, really, since I'd probably get beaten back twice as hard.

The only people I can't deal with are ones that physically beat you.

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
The Internet is not going to teach you social skills in real life. You have to learn those yourself through experience and practice. The education system is never useless. Some people just like to sit on their ***** all day and suck the life out of our money. Not enough people have a passion for learning. Stop asking for pity, people. Do an honest day's work for an honest day's wage. I love school, myself, actually. Also, school is free :)

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
too bad everyone here's being too nice to say it, but...not going to college will only net you an entry-level job unless you've got some seriously good other qualifications. And even if you do, a generic degree still says a lot to a prospective employer compared to someone who has only graduated high school (even with previous job experience). the main attractiveness of a generic/nonapplicable degree is that it's a proof of effort. NOT necessarily of talent or intelligence or anything else, but merely the ability to work...and the ability to learn. Obviously a degree relevant to the job you want is best, but things don't always turn out that way, and it's not like if you get an ICS degree and then decide to teach English that the ICS degree is useless.

Sounds to me like you're basically just shutting yourself off from the world and saying that you don't need it, when the problem is that, even now with your generally unsocial tendencies, you too are a part of the world we're all in. Suck it up, l2talk when you don't really want to, think that school's actually worth something, etc.

I will say this though. All school only has as much value as you assign to it and treat it with. Obviously if you go around thinking that the only reason the teachers are there is to make you read some stupid book, you'll get locked into the mindset that it's all a waste of time. Look PAST what's in front of you, see the opportunities that you've missed so far, telling yourself that you don't need college is, while true, kinda shortsighted.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I told a friend *he also goes on Smashboards, but not as much*

I hate school as much as the next guy, but you're a lazy **** if you take the barebone classes and you KNOW you can do better.
I honestly can't see how this buisness you plan will start up any ways, your Dad is a ex Con and already that isn't good.

Savedge

Smash Apprentice

The education system is a training ground.........

They'll keep you so amused you'll never taste the truth.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
The purpose of school is to teach students how to think. My government class isn't forcing me to memorize random facts about democracy. Rather, it's showing how I can actively participate in local government.

Math classes have us memorize "useless" equations, but what really matters is that they teach us how to think, which is key to solving math problems.

A skill a lot of my classes taught me is research skills. Anyone can google the number of states in the US. But when you're doing a research project on welfare reform (or anything technical), you will need research skills to be able to find the right sources and be able to cite them.

I would absolutely love to start on clubs and sports, but I hope it's obvious that they teach students people skills and such.

Susa, I don't think you're considering the core of education. Yes, a lot of classes simply require memorizing. But what is really important are the skills schools teach you.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Susa...instead of whining to us that the education system sucks, why don't you take up on your word and drop out of school? You can then stop whining to us how school sucks for your life, when there are many of us that are working our freaking butts off to be successful in life in our way.

Since you are graduating this year, you can even make a bigger point. You can show the world that a high school drop out can be big in life.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
The majority of my friends didn't go to college. It has been 6 years since high school. The most successful of my friends drives an armored truck. He works over 50 hours a week, has no money, lives with his parents. The others all live with their parents. My one friend is an amazing artist, but he can't get a job because companies want to see an art degree with a school portfolio. Another friend works full time at Toys R Us and basically makes very little money after bills and stuff.

Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent. My friends are content with where they are, but they had to comprimise their goals, and this can all be traced back to their terrible high school. It basically discouraged them to continue learning and now they have little to show for 4 years in the real world.

Darkslash

Smash Master
You mind explaining me this?

because that's what all my friends do at school and I have nothing better to do. <_<
[/COLOR]

My only "social" aspect I get in school is... singing in choir?

I sit by myself in the morning, outside my class. I go into class - I read my book for 2 hours, don't even bother listening to the teacher.
I go to snack, I buy my food. I go to my next class, eat, and read for 2 more hours.
I go to lunch, buy my food, go to my next class. Eat. Might take a break from reading and just put my head down on a desk and sleep for 2 hours.
I then walk home.

These quote pretty much contradicts your whole statement. I'm starting to wonder if this thread is really you trying to enrage us for some reason. Not once did you ever mention these friends in the thread.

Unless of course these friends are imaginary.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
You mind explaining me this?

These quote pretty much contradicts your whole statement. I'm starting to wonder if this thread is really you trying to enrage us for some reason. Not once did you ever mention these friends in the thread.

Unless of course these friends are imaginary.
For the sake of, I really am that lazy, I put "friends" rather then "acquaintances".

I also don't like having to explain the whole "why do you call them acquaintances" thing to people.

EDIT:
I think I ninja'd what would have been a double post by tibax.

Also WHY THE **** IS THIS BLOG OF THE WEEK?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
LOL THIS GOT BLOG OF THE WEEK?!

Wow, ok.

Seriously?
Well look at all the other blogs.

Plus, it's not the blog itself, but the discussion that came out of it, it was aight.

If I don't give the award, there are questions, if I give an award, there are complaints.

Well ****, dude. Stop whining. Jesus **** you know what?

How about I stop BotW for good?

Oh and I'll start closing blogs that I think suck, just for kicks. ^__^b

D0N

Smash Ace
Theres not much im gonna say on this, but I do remember a time in 7th grade when a teacher told me "Colleges only look at your highschool grades." From then until 9th grade I only really tried in math and in other classes I had grades such as 8% F. Then I ended up in all honors classes in highscool and graduated with atleast a 3.5/4.0. There is definately something flawed about middle school atleast. I mean, I basically skipped 2 years of education and everything turned out fine. The education system seems more about pleasing someone else rather than learning sometimes. Atleast in the USA. It's still necesary though. You can be successful without going through the system but it only makes things harder than they need to be.

highfive

Smash Lord
School sucks. There isn't a point to please your teachers. In the end all you have to do is take the SAT. And it doesn't even matter if you do good on it or not. You can have crap grades and still get in to college if you have money.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
OK, now what you gotta do is go down the road past the old Johnson place. You're gonna find two roads, one parallel and one perpendicular. Now keep going until you come to a highway that bisects it at a 45-degree angle. Solve for x.

WHAT NOW SUSA!!!

You should have just made another pokeblog

SuSa

If I go down the road to the old Johnson place, wouldn't the parallel road be the road I am already on..... -_- if not, I wouldn't find the road.

Now, since I found two roads, you never said which to take. So which road do I keep going on?

God****, I'd get lost following your directions.

*goes to Mapquest* / *gets a GPS*

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
This blog is pointless.

Education pretty much prepares you for a future occupation (to earn yourself a living). Whether or not you can 'simply' use the internet to look up whatever you need to is irrelevant. People want you to know exactly what you are talking about and if you have to resort to ripping stuff off the internet then you don't know what you're talking about at all.

You know what? This stems from laziness. Pure gutteral laziness.

Browny

Smash Hater
to be frank, this blog sucks and is the worst blog ive ever read on this site (that isnt something like 'play SSBB forever' or obvious joke blogs)

Why shouldnt we be rude? What on earth reason exists for this blog to have anything nice said about it

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
to be frank, this blog sucks and is the worst blog ive ever read on this site (that isnt something like 'play SSBB forever' or obvious joke blogs)

Why shouldnt we be rude? What on earth reason exists for this blog to have anything nice said about it
Responses are also what make a blog. I think I'll try not to repeat myself.

Why don't you just stfu.

You're the kind of person that makes these jokes viable:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

*FACEPALM*

I highly disagree with this blog, I'll be honest.

But it is NOT a bad blog. It is a good blog. As Teran said, it generated good discussion, and it's the expression of opinions and thoughts in an intelligent manner.

Also, no matter what, there's no excuse for being so abrasive because you don't like something. Period. You shouldn't be rude because it's possible to express a dislike for something without flaming people.

THAT'S why you shouldn't be rude.

Now see, this is why we can't have nice things.

SuSa

Yo Firus, even I stated this blog sucked.

I'd rather read a good blog then the 11 pages of discussion that occurred because of it.

I just have an extremely different view on BOTW material. :/

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
This thread is going nowhere now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom