• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Magik isn't sarcastic when it comes to Charizard.

I gotta go with the majority here and say Squirtle's the best, and it's an easy decision for me. There's a handful of MU where Ivysaur or Charizard is almost worthless in, but Squirtle can be utilized even in his most difficult MUs due to his aerial and ground maneuverability.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
we dont have to go by the books and say "look at the frame data" even with slow attacks you can play him right to be very quick. and putting attacks together creating damage fast. and if anything just dont do his slow attacks :p

and i have to disagree with Zigsta saying a handful of matchups where charizard is worthless. I start charizard with pretty much every match. Its all a matter of how comfortable you are with that character.

BLI7ZARD

Smash Apprentice
question is pkmn trainer considered low or mid tier since the recent tier list cause i was going to use him in low tier singles and i didnt know what grades counterd as low tier? Also, just wondering is Ivysaurs Ftilt, Dtilt, punishable on shield?

Kith

Smash Ace
F-tilt may not be punishable on shield if your space if as far away as possible, but it's useless because if it hit at that distance, it'll only do 1 or 2 damage lol. D-tilt is punishable on shield for sure

T-block

B2B TST
He is considered mid now, but whether he's allowed in low tier in your region depends on the tournament host.

Yes, the tilts are punishable on shield by most characters. D-tilt less so than f-tilt.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i think charizard is really bad i'm just saying

sure sometimes you get "GOOD READS" *cough cough* and get a full rock smash into up smash and their stock goes away really quick on a nice bair into gimp

but his attacks are predictable, he's really fat, he has a lot of lag at the end of pretty much everything he does, he's punishable, and uhh... yeah i just don't really think he's very good if you play the matchup correctly against him.

i do think that ivysaur has more potential than zard, he's got better spacing, he's not a big pile of lag (although he isn't the "fastest" by any stretch) and a lot of his recovery problems (not even CLOSE to all) can be at very least minimized by having a brain. plus, bullet seed is amazing, even if you CAN smash di out of the first hit. also with a decent read on an airdodge he can also get kills earlier than any of the other pokemon =D

SO THAT'S WHAT I RANDOMLY CAME HERE TO SAY.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
i think charizard is really bad i'm just saying

sure sometimes you get "GOOD READS" *cough cough* and get a full rock smash into up smash and their stock goes away really quick on a nice bair into gimp

but his attacks are predictable, he's really fat, he has a lot of lag at the end of pretty much everything he does, he's punishable, and uhh... yeah i just don't really think he's very good if you play the matchup correctly against him.
Sounds like...MELEE BOWSER!

T-block

B2B TST
^ lol get *****

I've been hearing more and more of that, Gimpy. I think Ivysaur is moving up too, but I'd hesitate to put him over Charizard atm. Do you have vids of your PT btw?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
nah, and no it really doesn't sound like melee bowser if you actually play him correctly (melee bowser i mean) but the game's are incredibly different anyway

but yeah if you play vs bowser right he pretty much has zero options of getting in anwyay

nah no vids yet, i'll record some fairly soon though how about that?

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Gimpy is you want, I could make you like Charizard over AIM sometime.

If you think he sucks you are looking at the pieces wrong.

And CHARIZARD IS FASTER THAN PIKACHU on the ground.

Fat, my ***.

Charizard is buff as ****. All that boulder lifting.

Toby.

Smash Master
Both Charizard and Ivysaur have massive blind spots directly in front of them in the air.

Charizard has a good grab and pretty sub par followups. Ivysaur has a terrible terrible terrible grab and good followups.

I was about to go on but I can't be bothered. Pretend I said something about them both being terrible at close range if the opponent knows what they're doing.

It's hard to tell which one is better because they are both really bad.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Charizard has a blind spot in front of him? no way bro fair all day
fair is okay but all the opponent has to do is wait in the no knockback part and then punish.

Though this too myself, as well as rocksmash UP B , Flamethrower Nair?....
rock smash is pretty slow and easy to bait, considering how many options zard has and the fact that it's only good when they try to attack you during it (or they have a low shield).
fly is only good if someone is right inside of you or above you...which doesn't help his blind spot in front of him.
flamethrower is also slow, pretty useless if someone is right in your face. even if you land it at that range, you'll get punished by mk nair, marth uair, etc.
nair is pretty slow and has no notable disjoints on it, so most characters can just space an attack on you.
I wonder if when Zard farts on his tail if it catches on fire?
that's heat wave.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
i've been using PT for the past week, and i really like using him. i have a quick question. for squirtle, is it better to throw, or to grab release > jab combo. and what are the benefits of each?

T-block

B2B TST
If your opponent isn't SDI'ing those jabs, then release > jab combo is usually a pretty good option. It is very easy to SDI though, so you should be mixing it up, or you'll be punished by the third hit a lot of the time.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
GR to jab is great for refreshing moves, as Kith said, but if your opponent can still perfect shield them and grab you. If you catch 'em doing that, it's best just to throw them.

T-block

B2B TST
It's not legit lol

Mixing it up is good though. Between throws, full jab combo, and only the first hit of jab you can make it work. Whenever someone plays PT against me and tries release > jab combo, they get grabbed. Try it yourself - it's stupidly easy to do.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, I don't GR to jab nearly as often as I used to because a lot of people here in Austin learned the timing to punish it. Not cool. XD

Toby.

Smash Master
If you look at the amount of damage your opponent can do from punishing the jab, the fatigue cost of jabbing and your own damage output, it seems like it is usually more beneficial to simply throw. At low to mid percents, throws give far greater positional advantage most of the time because they allow you to take advantage of your usually superior options when the opponent is coming down from above.

At high percents jabbing still doesn't have any distinct advantages over throws. Both options are difficult to capitalize on and should generally be judged on their final % output unless one option forces the opponent to recover, land on a high platform etc.

Jab as a mixup to mess with their DI can work, but if they are really paying attention they won't start SDI'ing until the release animation begins, or until the first hit of jab. It is entirely possible and indeed easy to SDI jab from reaction to the first hit out of the release. At the last Australian major I played a snake who could SDI jab on reaction, and this wasn't out of a grab release.

loljab

Top Bottom