• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
Yep, and it's positively amazing. I think ZSS is the only other one with a frame 1 jab.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
not only that but you can di the second jab downward and then jab before her third one can come out. maybe even before she can shield or something. i believe there is like a 1 frame window where squirtle's jab combo can be interrupted but i once read that you cannot buffer a shield or anything because of the property of the jab's hitstun.

you can DI right through squirtle's though :[ reason why the jab out of grab release isn't that good.

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
So, something weird happened today. I went to use Ivysaurs Dair, and I didn't stall in midair afterward. Just kept right on going. Anyone else ever done this? Dunno that it'd be useful, other'n mindgames maybe, but I'm still curious.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
So, something weird happened today. I went to use Ivysaurs Dair, and I didn't stall in midair afterward. Just kept right on going. Anyone else ever done this? Dunno that it'd be useful, other'n mindgames maybe, but I'm still curious.
That happens sometimes. Same goes for Lucario's dair. Forget why though, haha.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it's because you are still in hitstun and momentum changing/stalling moves like that don't have any effect

otherwise ivysaur/lucario/plunging dairs would never die

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
I probably should have been clearer. If I remember right, I was falling as normal back towards the stage when it happened. Just went right on through my own hit bubble.

I have it on video, if it matters. Maybe if I learn how to convert it to an acceptable file type, I'll post it. Dunno if it's that big of a deal though.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
I probably should have been clearer. If I remember right, I was falling as normal back towards the stage when it happened. Just went right on through my own hit bubble.

I have it on video, if it matters. Maybe if I learn how to convert it to an acceptable file type, I'll post it. Dunno if it's that big of a deal though.
Post it, if we could fast fall Ivys Dair that would make it much more useful and a bit less situational.

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
Post it, if we could fast fall Ivys Dair that would make it much more useful and a bit less situational.
I'll see if I can get it up tomorrow afternoon. I don't have a capture card, but if I uploaded the replay file itself, is it possible that someone else could convert it?

Also: :lick: I just discovered this smiley. WTF?

T-block

B2B TST
yeah if you upload it i'll get around to recording it. you gotta let me know what music is playing in the replay though.

so there was no stall at all? it's known that you can fastfall it, but there is still a little bit of a stall when you do that.

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
Here's the replay file: http://www.mediafire.com/?khjjnzmyyjm

Please ignore how bad that Ivysuar was... I dunno what had gotten into me. :/
It's only about forty or so seconds long. Last bit is me trying to duplicate it.
There was no stall at all. You'll notice as I begin my descent from being knocked up by Zelda's USmash, I use D-Air, but just keep on falling. Music used during the fight was "Area 6, Version 2"

Off pf that topic, how important are Wifi matches to a developing player? I already have a medium-small group of well rounded players to smash with in person. I'm just worried about getting used to fluctuating lag, and I think it might end up harming my game more than helping... What's yall's opinion?

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Wifi can teach you a lot and let you learn a lot of the tricks that certain characters have.

In person is best, but wifi is valueable its just it will affect your in person timing.

and things that are good online are bad offline and vice versa.

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that's one of the things I'm worried about, is getting locked into bad offline habits. :/
But, I suppose I'll give it a try. I think matchup experience is more important for where I'm at as a trainer than anything else right now. Thanks for the answer. :)

T-block

B2B TST
Definitely go for it... it's good for matchup experience and for learning to think while you play. Just don't let yourself abuse the lag.

The replay is on Lylat Cruise, yeah?

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Okay, so I've been landing from my aerials recently and going into Utilt and three times I seem to have slid across the ground as I used the Utilt. Does anyone know what I'm doing subconsciously to get this result?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Okay, so I've been landing from my aerials recently and going into Utilt and three times I seem to have slid across the ground as I used the Utilt. Does anyone know what I'm doing subconsciously to get this result?
I'd say skill. It's like that aerial thing with Toon Link where if you fire your bow and tilt the analog stick at the right time, he will actually glide foreward a small distance when doing it. I do it all the time and honestly have failed countless times to consciously know how to do it. It just happens.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Which Pokemon is this?

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
I thought he was referring to Ivysaur for some reason. o.O

If it's Squirtle though, I think it would depend on the attack. Sometime landing from N-Air gives me a little bit of slide, unless I'm imagining things... Which is quite possible, to be honest.

Anywho, I've got a question about the DK vs. Ivysaur matchup. I'm talking to a guy on AiB (Likely the problem, right there.) Who says the matchup is 30:70 in DK's favor, because of an easy gimp. Anyone out there ever had issue with DK gimping Ivy? If so, what should I look out for? The guy mentioned Cargo-Tossing while off the edge, though I'd think the spikes would be scarier...

:002:

T-block

B2B TST
If you get grabbed near the edge and can't struggle out, it's very probable that you're going to die. Cargo throw sends you pretty far out at a low trajectory. You'll only get one shot at Razor Leafing him off, and it's pretty easy for DK to avoid that and stay on the ledge. His b-air can be pretty bad for your recovery as well.

That said, I wouldn't say 30:70 =\ It's probably slightly in DK's favour overall.

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
I thought Ivy had a far superior ground game though, the way Bullet Seed and Nair eat DK alive. reading through the old matchup thread, that's idea I'm getting, and in practice I beleive it's true, unless I'm missing something major. Does the possibility for an easy gimp really lower our chances that bad if we can hold our own onstage? Think I should have been a little more specific with the original question...

:044:

T-block

B2B TST
those matchup guides are all really outdated, and a lot of them are pretty inaccurate =\ i wouldn't waste my time with them.

it definitely hurts ivy, but i don't view it as that hard of a matchup by any means. bullet seed is really sexy on dk, and forces him to play cautiously and space perfectly if he doesn't want to take 30+%. use bullet seed wisely though... it'll be really bad if you miss with it. his moves do have the range to get past ivy's wall though, so you'll have to space really well too.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
30-70 in DK's favor is ********. DK definitely has an advantage here, but it's not a major one. He's got an advantage because Ivysaur doesn't like fighting in close quarters, while DK wants us to stay midrange so he can tilt Ivysaur. DK has no trouble killing Ivysaur, whereas Ivysaur has trouble killing DK. On the plus side, DK's a nice target for Bullet Seed. Just don't be predictable with it, or else you'll get punished.

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
by that guy's reasoning, every ivy matchup is 30:70
Yeah, I think Ivysaur gets jilted by non-PT's more than she deserves, just in general. They just assume that since Ivysaur has a bad recovery and can be easily gimped, that she stands no chance. Most seem to completely overlook her ground game and suprisingly good air game... Though I know that the recovery issue is a huge handicap, I'm actually getting really sick of people underestimating and taunting my Ivysaur... :/

/endrant

:055:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
actually the air game is not that good. massive blindspots in front and below, and awful air speed. nair is pretty nice but it's severely hampered by just how bad ivysaur's air speed is. bair does almost no damage and is kind of unsafe if you don't land prematurely with it. it's VERY unsafe if the opponent is grounded. uair is cool but has a huge commitment and the downward thrust hurts your ability to chase air dodges and such. dair is pretty terrible and absurdly weak. ivysaur's only viable spacing move on the ground is dtilt imo, jab is WAY too ****ing slow and ftilt is easy to SDI and very unsafe on shield. dtilt is a little more safe (not that safe though) but it's quick and has impressive knockback. for some reason it doesn't have IASA frames, so it's like a more committed marth/mk dtilt with two hits, really. dash attack is a nice surprise, but again, unsafe and weak range. all of ivy's grabs are 13 frames and have the range of dedede's grab at best. so it's as slow as a tether but as long as a (good) normal grab. that's not a good combination.

ivysaur is just way too punishable and limited for a character that (i assume) is supposed to be all about safe range and pokes.

idk it's late u_u

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
actually the air game is not that good. massive blindspots in front and below, and awful air speed. nair is pretty nice but it's severely hampered by just how bad ivysaur's air speed is. bair does almost no damage and is kind of unsafe if you don't land prematurely with it. it's VERY unsafe if the opponent is grounded. uair is cool but has a huge commitment and the downward thrust hurts your ability to chase air dodges and such. dair is pretty terrible and absurdly weak. ivysaur's only viable spacing move on the ground is dtilt imo, jab is WAY too ****ing slow and ftilt is easy to SDI and very unsafe on shield. dtilt is a little more safe (not that safe though) but it's quick and has impressive knockback. for some reason it doesn't have IASA frames, so it's like a more committed marth/mk dtilt with two hits, really. dash attack is a nice surprise, but again, unsafe and weak range. all of ivy's grabs are 13 frames and have the range of dedede's grab at best. so it's as slow as a tether but as long as a (good) normal grab. that's not a good combination.

ivysaur is just way too punishable and limited for a character that (i assume) is supposed to be all about safe range and pokes.

idk it's late u_u
Wow, I feel like I'm undergoing an intervention..
Makes it seem like Ivy shouldn;t have a matchup about 20:80 when put like that... :/

:018:

Top Bottom