• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Which Pokemon is this?
Sorry, I should have specified. It happened(s) with Squirtle.

You could be doing a pivot into an uptilt maybe?

Sounds really cool.
Maybe. Now that I think about it I think what happens is I Bair fast-fall into the ground and then turn around and U-tilt.

Too bad I'm no good at actually doing what I want to do to get this to happen consistently.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
T-block: No, that would make sense. ;)
It's happened to me on Final Destination and Pokemon Stadium 1 (starting stage).

Typh: It's 21, now?

T-block

B2B TST
Just checking ;D

I've actually noticed some interesting stuff with Squirtle's b-air too. B-air just barely before the ground > jab combo and Squirtle sorta shifts over as he lands because of the way he throws his entire body behind him. I've never noticed a slide, but I very rarely use b-air > u-tilt.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
That lunge you notice is accented if you fast-fall at the ground, to the point where Squirtle shifts over enough to get behind most characters if they shield or something. What I was doing is Bair-ing through them to try to launch them up in an Utilt.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I was thinking about something and I want some output on it.

If any of you are aware, when Zelda transforms, the person using Zelda can press pause and the game will still load the transformation, thus an instant and safe transformation. I thought I might be able to apply it to PT's switching. All I could find is that if you pause the game when the pokeball is far enough above the ground where if you were to pause the game it will appear on the screen without having to zoom out, wait like 3 seconds give 'er take and then unpause you will have a safe switch. Apparently when you will unpause the pokeball will shoot instantly to the ground and the pokemon will come out.

I'm a little iffy about it all. It looks like it works however at the same time, I'm not entirely sure if it does or doesn't make a difference.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I was thinking about something and I want some output on it.

If any of you are aware, when Zelda transforms, the person using Zelda can press pause and the game will still load the transformation, thus an instant and safe transformation. I thought I might be able to apply it to PT's switching. All I could find is that if you pause the game when the pokeball is far enough above the ground where if you were to pause the game it will appear on the screen without having to zoom out, wait like 3 seconds give 'er take and then unpause you will have a safe switch. Apparently when you will unpause the pokeball will shoot instantly to the ground and the pokemon will come out.

I'm a little iffy about it all. It looks like it works however at the same time, I'm not entirely sure if it does or doesn't make a difference.
Oh, man. I'm totally ready to cheat in tournament matches. Pretend I was pressing buttons, Down-B, "accidentally pause", apologize a couple of times, and switch. :bee:

T-block

B2B TST
That's pretty interesting actually... this load time thing is really stupid - the game designers should have just made it a set time -_-

If only this were allowed in tournament play lol

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Oh, man. I'm totally ready to cheat in tournament matches. Pretend I was pressing buttons, Down-B, "accidentally pause", apologize a couple of times, and switch. :bee:
I remeber Lee Martin showing me that funny little tidbit when I played him at LasT2 talk about mindgames.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This probably a silly question, but is it a good idea to crouch with Squirtle against MK's dair camping?

Probably not but just wanted to make sure.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
pretty sure you have enough frame advantage that you can uair in between the dairs if he's low enough to hit you

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
PT fares... Alright, in my experience, though it's far from my favorite stage to play on. Against particularly campy characters, Charizard, being the giant target that he is, get's knocked about pretty bad. And without platforms, Squirtle's air game and to a small extent, Ivysaur's anti-air game tend to lose effectiveness.

Only time I ever want to pick it is against Ness, thanks to Charizard's CG (And I think Squirtle has a legit one as well.), but I think against most other characters, there are certaintlly better places to be fighting.

:057:

T-block

B2B TST
I would ban FD against Marth, Diddy, Falco, ICs. Anyone else and you probably have better ban choices =\

I'd CP it against MK and Ness...possibly Kirby as well. All in all, it's not PT's best, but against some characters it might be a good choice.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I would ban FD against Marth, Diddy, Falco, ICs. Anyone else and you probably have better ban choices =\
I'd also ban it against Samus, Lucario, and usually Toon Link. Projectile spam is annoying. XD I'd take a stage with some platforms any day against those characters.

T-block

B2B TST
Samus and TL make sense, although I usually ban Yoshi's against projectile spam characters. I think it's a lot easier to approach them on FD than it is on Yoshi's, but that's probably just me xP

I ban Frigate against Lucario though. That stage is pretty **** for him.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Use Squirtle, outspace him with your B-Air. Watch out of N-Air and try to keep him on his toes. Learn how to grab break efficiently.

With Ivysaur, make sure he can't get in from the air by using your B-Air, Up-B, and keeping in motion. Watch out for dash attacks; don't get put above him.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yoshi has a pretty solid advantage against us, Nameless. It's a rather tricky MU. :/

I prefer starting Ivysaur, easily. He does a good job of keeping Yoshi away so you don't get grabbed, like Reflex said prior. He can also easily use Vine Whip to grab the ledge if you get grab released to spiked at low to mid-ish percents.

I go back and forth over Charizard and Squirtle. Charizard doesn't die as easily, but he's stupid easy to get combo'd by Yoshi. Squirtle, on the other hand, is much better at keeping away, but he dies much lower if you mess up and get grabbed.

Out of curiosity, was it YOSH or Poltergust you played?

Rekeah

Smash Apprentice
so i have a question that most of you guys probably wouldn't want to answer for whatever reason...

who is the best pokemon from pkt?
or better yet, who is the most CONSISTENT pokemon from pkt?

(i already looked at most of the threads here and i couldnt find a direct answer)

also, can you guys give me explanations for whoever you choose to be the best pokemon?
me and my friend are arguing between squirtle and charizard.

Kith

Smash Ace
I think you'd find most people here agree that Squirtle is the most consistent Pokemon. He would be high tier if he were alone, due to his mobility, quick attacks, and kill potential.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
squirtle is most consistent, ivysaur and zard are just too slow and limited (serious blindspots) in too many matchups

Kith

Smash Ace
Charizard can be played with a really fast playstyle, auto cancelling most of his aerials and stuff, but he really doesn't have Squirtle's Aerial mobility.

Top Bottom