• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Oh, lol, epic mix of words x.x
So 10% more for Ivy, but 10% less for Squirtle?
For fire-based moves (there are a lot of them), yes.

For water-based moves (ONLY many of Squirtle's moves and Mario's FLUDD), Charizard has 10% more knockback and Ivysaur has 10% less.

For grass-based moves (ONLY many of Ivysaur's moves), Squirtle has 10% more knockback and Charizard has 10% less. Which is why Charizard gets destroyed when caught in Bullet Seed.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Nice explain.
I think i get it now.

But any leads to where i can get help in the MK MU?(Is being destroyed)

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
When you say this, do you mean no Ivy? T.T
The one that gets destroyed the most is my Charizard(For obvious reasons: Size.)

Always start Squirtle against MK

Try to do as much damage and try to get the first kill with Squirtle. 2 things can happen

A. MK takes your first stock which pretty much means you lose the match 99% sure.

B. You get his first stock which you then should try to play as gay as possible and try to chip in damage with Squirtle until you die.

Then you get Ivysaur who you should switch out Immediately and take whatever move MK throws out with Charizard.

It's much better to use a high tier secondary since It's almost impossible for Pokemon Trainer to beat a good MK. *Almost*

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Aww, no Ivy....
Well, any leads on where i can get better with Charizard and Squirtle? They are arguably my worst of PT.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
That's a pretty big topic--I'd check the guides we have sticked first and then ask questions after reading.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Dude, WTF? T_T
That just shows me wth PT can do, Magik da bessssssss.....
Charizard is what shocked me, you have to tech me!!!!!!1111eleven

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Neat watch, learned good stuff:bee:
You making the second? I'd love to get Ivy.

Oh yeah Budda, Love your PT man.

I'd like to note that Squirtle's Uair is sort of like a frame trap when you fast fall. , meaning sometimes if they airdodge it you can just uair again to punsih the ending lag of an Airdodge. It really in juggling against biggies and such at low %'s. (Also needs moar utilt at low %s)

I also think you should replace most of your Fairs with Bairs, since Bair has more range I believe and that so you won't stale out your Fair which is a great kill move (Well, compared to what else Squirtle has) Also I never see you use Jab :(.

Your Ivysaur is beast, I was impressed by how you used Bullet Seed to punish him getting back on stage at 1:24, innovative stuff like that sets you apart from other PTs.
Even though it's friendlies, Try not to approach at all with Ivy so you won't get into the habit of approaching in Tourney matches, since Ivy's approach is pretty bad ( Well her camping game is pretty bad, but not against DK).

Your Charizard's Spacing on Bair is suberb, although You try to use Fair a couple of times onstage. The reason why I never like Fair onstage is because usually If you space it Then you'll hit them with the *Nonstun part* leaving you open to get punished(Unless it's retreating, then again Bair is better for that too in Most cases*. I would only like to use Fair offstage where it shines.

Also, I notice your main way to make up distance is to Dash. Don't Dash unless you are trying to punish something or follow up (Which you did sometimes) , as you lose easier access to some options like Jabs and tilts.
Also Standing Grab > Dash grab.

This is all coming from a scrub PT so I won't take any offense if you choose not to listen to this.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
How do you guys follow up a bullet seed hit after the opponent gets out? I usually try to hyphen usmash where I think they'll land, but I don't really have succes doing that. Following up doesn't really work because I'm easily outranged/outsped.

So yeah, how?

Vermy

Smash Champion
Go for a grab, since people seem to habitually shield on landing, dash away to remain safe, or follow up with another bullet seed on fatties.

T-block

B2B TST
it's all what you think your opponent will do. after bullet seed i always just shield. if they attack my shield i can shield grab. but otherwise, nothing is guaranteed... you can try to read 'em if you want. f-smash is pretty sexy ;D

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Even if the shield is tilted up? Ike's Fair still gets through? Heheh.

Also, I need help on Shellshift Dsmash, anybody have input?

SuorGenoveffa

Smash Apprentice
I have trouble with hydroplaned dsmash, can't seem to figure out the correct button input. Can someone try to explain it to me step by step? Thanks.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
If you use Pokemon Trainer which pokemon's the best and which is the worst?

Is it possible to just use Charizard or do you have to use all 3?

I know charizard is actually the worst of the 3 but it's my favorite pokemon lol.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
If ike gets hit by bullet seed he has a guaranteed fair on Ivysaur <3

I wonder what other characters have guaranteed attacks?
it depends on how far up they are. if you end bullet seed before they get out of the stream, i don't think ike can fair you. mr. doom tries nearly every time and i usually don't get hit...

T-block

B2B TST
If ike gets hit by bullet seed he has a guaranteed fair on Ivysaur <3

I wonder what other characters have guaranteed attacks?
you LIE

i bet i could hit an ike with bullet seed and not get hit by f-air. fox might have a guaranteed hit if he SDI'd up and reflected a seed at you ^_^ i don't see how any attack can be guaranteed - wanna elaborate?

Even if the shield is tilted up? Ike's Fair still gets through? Heheh.

Also, I need help on Shellshift Dsmash, anybody have input?
I have trouble with hydroplaned dsmash, can't seem to figure out the correct button input. Can someone try to explain it to me step by step? Thanks.
Can you do hydroplane f-smashes? It's the same input/timing, except at a different angle for the c-stick.

Run left, pivot to the right. While in the pivot, C-stick down-left, and hold Z if you want to charge it.

If you use Pokemon Trainer which pokemon's the best and which is the worst?

Is it possible to just use Charizard or do you have to use all 3?

I know charizard is actually the worst of the 3 but it's my favorite pokemon lol.
Best/worst pokemon depends on the situation (mostly matchup). I suppose it's possible to use only one if you wanna switch out and take two hits every time you die, but it's usually not a good idea. PT is more fun when you play all three pokemon anyways =P

Toby.

Smash Master
Well I play against Ike pretty much every day and for a long time now every time I bullet seed ( i THINK regardless of when I end it) he fast falls a fair and it hits with me always attempting to shield.

:/

Of course if you end it super early it makes more sense for him to nair, but he still has time to hit us before we can do anything. I think.

Edit: Obviously it also depends on where Ike is in the stream; logically there must be situations where he can't fair. What I'm saying is that the vast majority of the time he can.

Maybe I'm wrong :)

SuorGenoveffa

Smash Apprentice
you LIE
Can you do hydroplane f-smashes? It's the same input/timing, except at a different angle for the c-stick.

Run left, pivot to the right. While in the pivot, C-stick down-left, and hold Z if you want to charge it.
Yeah I can do the fsmash consistently (don't use it much in actual matches though). I've tried countless times doing the dsmash but there must be something I do wrong. Oh well, I'll try again with these steps, thank you :).

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
What is the best way to approach with Red(Sounds better than Pokemon Trainer)?

I'm new to using them so what are the best attacks to use with each?

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
What is the best way to approach with Red(Sounds better than Pokemon Trainer)?

I'm new to using them so what are the best attacks to use with each?
Check out all the guides on here. There are lots. I've written a Squirtle guide, Reflex has covered all three of the pokemans. Check it out. (: Squirtle is generally the best agressor, though, if that answers your questions. Spam aerials, attain vicory. :D

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

That helps, i always used Pivot > Down on the C-stick, but it didn't work.
Also, hydroplane= Shellshift, right? o.0

T-block

B2B TST
Not really... shellshifting refers to Squirtle's pivot animation out of a dash.

Hydroplaning refers to using the momentum from the pivot to do sliding smashes.

SuorGenoveffa

Smash Apprentice
I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I have this tendency with Squirtle to press the button before the stick (ex. Hydrograbs = R+cstick), I do the same with charged hydroplane fsmash (Z+stick) but it doesn't work with dsmash since it results in a spotdodge, so I tried pressing the stick first and it's working pretty consistently now (and looks like the coolest thing ever).

Thanks again T-Block :).

Frio

Smash Champion

Janne

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if it may seem a bit lazy of me but it's like soo many pages to read if I'm ever going to find it. But is there like a post summarizing which Pokemon is best to use against each character? Like what Pokemon is best to use against D3 or IC. I play Ivysaur the most though out of the 3 of them.

Janne

Smash Journeyman
That would fall under matchup discussion, which we are unfortunately behind on =( This thread might have some relevant discussion though http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228591

Just a word... be careful about getting into the "this pokemon is best" mindset. Each pokemon can be good in different situations - there's more to think about than just your opponent's character.
Ok. Thanks for the link and for the advice :)

Top Bottom