• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Better moves they could have given to characters?

mskusu

Smash Cadet
Toon Link has so much wasted potential - there are so many ways to Luigify him and make him a better, more interesting character. I love most of the ideas posted before in this thread. Deku Leaf would have been a much better UpB - the functionality could be added to press B again, making him flap the leaf like he could in WW and create a small puff of air around him to blow back enemies. The Skull Hammer would be a much better SideB than the boomerang (it could smash enemies into the ground like DK's sideB), and his DownB should be Bombchus like stated in earlier posts. His side-taunt is also incredibly uninspired and could have been something like placing a Hyoi pear on his head. He could use a more unique Final Smash, probably something using the Wind Waker (Ballad of Gales FTW!)

Mystic101

Smash Cadet
I would have liked not to see fluud at all, rather he could used his cape from smw and had a glide, with a stomp attack into the stage if you dropped from above.
Link shoulda kept his lightning jabs, and his kicks in the air could of been sword attacks like skull crusher from tp for a netral b, also give him like jsut 1/3 more recovery?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, and his coconut gun. It can fire in spurts.
If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt.
But it might make him broken.
After all, he's bigger, faster, and stronger too.

Blast Mask.
For those times when you forget to restock your bombs.
HELL YES.
Never watched the Advanced generation seasons, but thanks for pointing that out. I do read about differences between the game and anime version of moves, so I guess Double Team is more or less based on its anime counterpart then.
If they were going based on anime counterparts, Fly, Waterfall, Extremespeed, ForcePalm, and Sing would be a hellova lot more awesome.

If you guys never noticed, there was no jumping in twilight princess AT ALL.

Perhaps thats why his recovery is so bad.
...Yes there was. His jump was crap, but there was jumping. Quite a bit of it, actually.
Warlock punch should have been like the one Ganondorf uses in OoT.
Punch the ground and shockwaves come out.
He already can do this. =D
Sheik's Vanish should allow her to wall cling if she reappears on the wall. Squirtle and Diddy don't really have recoveries that make sense with such a mechanic, but Sheik's seems only logical.
Not sure what why that would seem logical. Lucario really is the only one who should be able to do it.
lucario over b could be bone rush
NO.

Lucario over B should stay as ForcePalm Grab, but instead, it would probably nice to take a cue from the anime and use the anime verision, which involved quickly placing an open palm on the opponent's chest/back/face/exposed body part and having that part explode dealing damage and killing knockback, using that "cinematic hitstun." It should also be able to work in the air. =D

Or they should totally make the aerial version spike.

Anyways, Extremespeed should have much less startup. Perhaps only slightly more than Mewtwo's Teleport in Melee, or perhaps maybe only slightly longer than Pikachu's quick attack's startup. After all, it does no damage, has absolutely no protection, and all it has going for it is slightly above average distance, a good ledgesnap, curving, and a nearly useless wall cling against good players. It's also easy as hell to punish. If they really plan on keeping this version, full invincibility during the flight would be extremely appreciated. =D

Other options for SideB would be Close Combat, which I'd imagine would work very similarly to Marth's Dancing Blades, but since ForcePalm is a signature attack for Lucario, I doubt this would happen. Perhaps as a change for his ftilt, or as a new final smash, this would fit.

Also, I agree that Samus should have multiple jumps. She has only had two games out of the entire franchise (Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime Hunters. Metroid Pinball does not count) in which she has not had multiple if not infinite jumps. Also, nair as a mini-screw attack would be awesomesauce.

Charizard's Fly should end with a glide.

Rename Waterfall to Surf, as it actually seems to be the animation most commonly associated with surf, rather than Waterfall, which as I recall is supposed to be a high-powered, high-speed tackle strong enough to ascend waterfalls.... which could totally be an absolutely awesome SideB replacement for Squirtle. Just make Withdraw his shield instead.

Last but not least, Great Spin for Link's grounded up B. Same relative range as Link's Up B in 64 (ridiculously huge), ridiculous power, lightning fast, but a bit of end lag. Not sure if it'd help though. I personally would rather have Melee Spin back. >>

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I would have liked not to see fluud at all, rather he could used his cape from smw and had a glide, with a stomp attack into the stage if you dropped from above.
Link shoulda kept his lightning jabs, and his kicks in the air could of been sword attacks like skull crusher from tp for a netral b, also give him like jsut 1/3 more recovery?
I hate you.

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
I haven't read through this thread, so I dunno if this was suggested. But my friend and I thought this woulda been cool once we saw Mario's FLUDD.

Luigi should have gotten the vacuum for his down-b. I think that woulda been pretty **** awesome. Would've perfectly mirrored the FLUDD, too.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Actually, it'd heavily nerf Luigi, due to the fact that he couldn't recover. It'd only make people that have never played the game think Mario and Luigi are clones, and his cyclone is much better than that vacuum ever could be.

And FLUDD is the greatest move in the entire game.

Ismael

Smash Ace
Mario's recovery kinda sucks. If his FLUDD can go into hover nozzle for horizontal distance, or rocket nozzle that you can charge up like Diddy's barrel rockets to gain huge verticle height, that would've been godly.

I also wish they'd shorten the loading time for FLUDD. When your playing for fun or casually, you don't really notice, or care, but in a competitive and hard match, you realise just how long it takes to reach fully charged. Your opponent won't give you 5 or 6 whole seconds.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
That's why you charge it every second you have. Like, for me. I will run away, and do everything I can to get it charged. For example, I'll jump, begin charging, and air dodge right when I land next to my opponent. I can do this 2 or 3 times and have it charged. But I mean... any time I'm in the air, it'll get pumped.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Before he was announced, my friend and I thought Toon Link would be an awesome character. We decided on a moveset for him too.

Up B: Grappling Hook. Tether recovery, but long, and can be done repeatedly like ZSS, so it wouldn't be terrible.
B: Hammer. He'd charge up a massive overhead smash with his hammer. it would probably be like Roy's B move in melee more than anything.
Side B: Deku Leaf. Sends out a gust of air that pushes the enemy away, like FLUDD, except without charging. Maybe it could do a little damage.
Down B: Parry. He rolls behind the enemy and attacks quickly. Used like a counter.

Final Smash: TL uses the Wind Waker to change the winds. He jumps off screen, and suddenly a massive wave of water blasts across the lower half of the screen, with TL riding the King of Red Lions on top of the wave. Very awesome.

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
FLUDD Mario

I always thought that FLUDD shouldn't be apart of regular Mario, but an alternate character for Mario!
Up+B=Rocket Nozzle (charges like Diddy's but gains no horizontal recovery until the move is over)
Down+B=Hover Nozzle (great horizontal recovery, below average vertical recovery)
Side+B=Turbo Nozzle (does a brawl Piplup-like attack, goes into helpless state)
B=Spray Nozzle (self-explanatory

Just my idea

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Hrm, as well...

Pikachu: Side B: Iron Tail. It would work like DK's Side B, and knock them into the ground. The aerial version should be a spike.

Ganon: Anything with the sword.

Sonic: I have a whole new B-set for him.

Up B: Light Dash. He throws out a diagonal line of rings, and then dashes along them, working sort of like Wolf's Side B, but at more of an Angle.

Side B: The Bomb from Sonic battle. He throws a Bomb sideways. Works as a Sensor Bomb. In the Air, he throws it downwards, and if it hits a character, it auto-explodes.

Down B: Bounce Attack:He barrels downwards with the speed of Toon Link's Dair. If he hits, it's a spike, if he misses, he's screwed. On the ground, it works like Yoshi's. It can be used 3 times total, after hitting the ground or another player.

Neutral B: Sonic Wind. He performs a Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku(Hurricane Kick) motion, and all around him, it does damage. Works Like Zelda's Neutral B.

and lastly: Ike: Change his Side B from Quick Draw to The Shockwave from Ragnell.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Something else i thought of:

Fox/Falco's forward B's when done on the ground near the edge should stop them at the edge. Lol, I don't know how many times I've accidentally did that off the edge. So embarrassing.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Change Marfs neutarl B back to the way it was in Melee. And a LAZORRR
Also, unnerfing his Dair would be nice ^_^

.... and bring back the true knee of justice.

Ange

Smash Lord
If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt.
But it might make him broken.
After all, he's bigger, faster, and stronger too.
Since he's the first member of the DK Crew.

If they were going based on anime counterparts, Fly, Waterfall, Extremespeed, ForcePalm, and Sing would be a hellova lot more awesome.
Sing would basically be the same, unless youre speaking of the sleep duration, which do need improvement. Fly, on the other hand, wouldnt be better in terms of damage, but its usefulness in recovery sure would rise. Invincibility should still apply to it so the move have some protection.

Charizard's Fly should end with a glide.
That too.

Rename Waterfall to Surf, as it actually seems to be the animation most commonly associated with surf, rather than Waterfall, which as I recall is supposed to be a high-powered, high-speed tackle strong enough to ascend waterfalls.... which could totally be an absolutely awesome SideB replacement for Squirtle. Just make Withdraw his shield instead.
I think its called Waterfall since it kind off looks like Squirtle is "climbing" one, and therefore it could possibly be based on its HM usage and not directly its in-battle execution. But it do look like the in-battle animation used for the move Surf, so a name-change sounds viable.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♡For toon link, a Deku Leaf Glide after his ^B^ would be be nice. It would work similar to Peach's parasol and Mr. Game and Watch's parachute. ;)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I always thought that FLUDD shouldn't be apart of regular Mario, but an alternate character for Mario!
Up+B=Rocket Nozzle (charges like Diddy's but gains no horizontal recovery until the move is over)
Down+B=Hover Nozzle (great horizontal recovery, below average vertical recovery)
Side+B=Turbo Nozzle (does a brawl Piplup-like attack, goes into helpless state)
B=Spray Nozzle (self-explanatory

Just my idea
... why?
Without the cape, he's just not Mario.

Jeffersm

Smash Rookie
Toon Link's Dair

Tink already has this move, but I think that it should've been changed. When I first saw it I was like "OMGF THAT WUZ AMAZING FOR A SPIKE!!1!!!1", but now I know that I was oh so wrong... To me it seems like it very seldom spikes, and more often just sends the foe up. And if you miss, you have officially signed your death warrant when you're off the edge of the stage. Correct me if I'm wrong...

zeldspazz

Smash Master
For what I think should be there, I've got a whole slew of stuff for Samus:

Change her bombs so they don't pop her up. They never have, and they really shouldn't. Bring back Morph Ball Canceling.
In her newest game (I'm drawing a blank, whats the name?) they do, so it does fit, but how about being able to roll in her ball form? and she should be able to run faster, she is sooooo slow compared to her games, and her power shot should be able to shoot rapidly (without all the lag)or be able to charge, like in her new game.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I always thought they needed to ease up on the aura thing with Lucario.

B: Aura Sphere
Same

Side B: Close Combat
Lucario shoots forward, in a slightly similar fashion to his current Up B. If he contacts, he leaps onto the opponent's chest, punches them a few times, then pushes off the opponent with his feet and does a backflip. The opponent gets knocked horizontally.

Up B: Hi Jump Kick
Lucario does a flying kick upward. If it connects, Lucario does a roundhouse in the air, then automatically does Up B again.

Down B: Brick Break
Lucario does a powerful karate chop. Does about 10% and has OK knockback, but the real perk is this: If the enemy shields, this move still deals about 2% damage.

Final Smash: Focus Blast
Lucario flies up and charges a big-*** red Aura Sphere-ish thing. Line up your shot with the stick and fling it to the ground with B.

sasook

Smash Champion
How about giving TL a unique moveset? Sure, most of A moves are different, but his special moveset could have been more unique.

For instance:

UpB - Deku Leaf. On the ground, it pushes like Mario's FLUDD for gimps. In the air, it works like Peach's parasol, except if he hits B during it, it expands and pushes the guy away (like in the game)
Downb - hourglass. Make it so TL can slow down time for a shortened period, similar to Chaos Control in the Sonic games. The longer TL refrains from using it, the longer it can freeze, similar to Wario's waft.
Grab - could have been the grappling hook instead. Woulda looked cooler, and could grab opponents in the air at a diagonal - a feature that would have been unique.
Nair - the helm splitter.
Sideb - the skull hammer. Someone else can think more creatively on this one.
Neutral B - special arrows, switching between fire and ice and light by pressing something, just like in the games.
Final smash - hurricane spin.

YES this means no bombs, YES this means no boomerang. So? This type of moveset would make him SO unique and SO different from Link that overall, I feel people would differentiate between more than just "TL doesn't suck, Link does."

Thunda-Moo

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I've got a lot of these, so buckle up:

Sonic: His fB is too simaler to his dB, so I'd replace that with the light dash.

Mario: I've always been a supporter of making Sunshine Mario a separate character even if it means a capeless Mario

Luigi: The vacuum seems essential considering it was the basis of his only original game, so I've wondered a lot on how to implement it in a non-crappy way. My conclution? A ranged grab. Weegee needs more grab range...

Peach: I loved the dSmash of DOOM! from Melee, despite how unfair it was. Peach should also use the parasol in her tilts, airs, and grabs.

Bowser: His dB should have almost nonexsistant start-up time. Bowser is weak to juggles, so he needs a "do not get under me" attack. He should also have a fireball projectile (a long-range one, not only the stream of edgeguarding pain)

Link: The bombs need way more power. It's really stupid that the most powerful LoZ weapon is so wimpy (even if it is amazingly useful already) Link's Flying Crane taunt should be replaced with a bottle-swipe taunt, and the bottle would reflect. I'm all for taunts that secretly do stuff.

Zelda-Shiek: Sheik should be way more ninja. Taunts should change between zelda/sheik, and they should get unique dB's. Sheik should throw a Deku nut straight down (even when in midair, making the game's first downward projectile, not counting thunder because it's upward in disguise) and Zelda should swich her reflecter to her dB and her nB should be light arrows.

I would post more, but my iTouch is running out of batteries.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
In her newest game (I'm drawing a blank, whats the name?) they do, so it does fit,
No they don't, so no it doesn't. You're thinking of the spring ball, which has been in several Metroid installments since Metroid II, but it has nothing to do with bombs.

Note, I'm not talking about the bomb jump. Bombs should still make Samus pop up, but laying a bomb shouldn't give her a boost.

but how about being able to roll in her ball form? and she should be able to run faster, she is sooooo slow compared to her games, and her power shot should be able to shoot rapidly (without all the lag)or be able to charge, like in her new game.
Kage Me puts it best.

That should be her crawl. I'm not joking.
Honestly, I think this would be awesome. I'd want to see it as the fastest crawl in the game, because Samus moves like the wind in her morph ball.

Maybe it would be really broken, though.

sasook

Smash Champion
Link: The bombs need way more power. It's really stupid that the most powerful LoZ weapon is so wimpy (even if it is amazingly useful already) Link's Flying Crane taunt should be replaced with a bottle-swipe taunt, and the bottle would reflect. I'm all for taunts that secretly do stuff.
At this point, we Link mains would just settle for a better recovery. Seriously.

That should be her crawl. I'm not joking.
I had thought of this too a while back, it woulda been a cool thing to have.

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
Actually, it'd heavily nerf Luigi, due to the fact that he couldn't recover. It'd only make people that have never played the game think Mario and Luigi are clones, and his cyclone is much better than that vacuum ever could be.

And FLUDD is the greatest move in the entire game.
PSHT. Make it shoot out ghosts or something. I don't care. I just want that vacuum. :p

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I always thought they needed to ease up on the aura thing with Lucario.

B: Aura Sphere
Same

Side B: Close Combat
Lucario shoots forward, in a slightly similar fashion to his current Up B. If he contacts, he leaps onto the opponent's chest, punches them a few times, then pushes off the opponent with his feet and does a backflip. The opponent gets knocked horizontally.

Up B: Hi Jump Kick
Lucario does a flying kick upward. If it connects, Lucario does a roundhouse in the air, then automatically does Up B again.

Down B: Brick Break
Lucario does a powerful karate chop. Does about 10% and has OK knockback, but the real perk is this: If the enemy shields, this move still deals about 2% damage.

Final Smash: Focus Blast
Lucario flies up and charges a big-*** red Aura Sphere-ish thing. Line up your shot with the stick and fling it to the ground with B.
lol give lucario at least a hitbox on his recovery.
I was also thinking of making FP when used in the air a midair grab spike, that would've been so cool.
brick break should also do some really nice shield eating, not as much as shield breaker, but maybe a little more than pound.
Frankly I love the aura thing, especially with the "behind a stock" boost. They should have made it more accurate (if anything, guts ability would have boosted his attack).

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Ganondorf's weapon: His sword.
neutral b: Warlock Punch (unstale, shield breaker and slightly stronger)
side b: Flame Choke (the same but faster start up and less lag)
up b: cut dive (still a grab but electrocuting to after sword slash the victim with great knockback)
down b: dark fire (his projectile, Brawl Final Destination range, just slightly flinches the opponent)

Thunderfoot

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one that thinks Ganondorf's up B should be the wizard's foot?
That way his down B can be the real warlock punch where he slams the ground and generates a big-a-big shockwave that is bigger than DK's down B.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
UP - B? Are you serious? I can't see that working, pressing up to go left or right...
Nah.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Let's see...
Ganondorf needs his sword and magic attacks (obviously).
Sonic should have had:
Up-B: Light Speed Dash (Tosses a small trail of rings upwards and shoots along them quickly. He is invincible when going upward, but otherwise this is a quick, non-offensive recovery.)
Side-B: Super Peel-Out (Basically just a charged version of Fox Illusion. It can be used as a great horizontal recovery, too.)
Toon Link should have had:
Up-B: Deku Leaf (Hops upward a tiny bit and floats forward until canceled. Pitiful upwards recovery, EXCELLENT horizontal recovery. On the ground he can swing it to push people back.)
Side-B: Grappling Hook (A tether recovery. If it hits an opponent, it will pull the lighter character to the heavier, but Toon Link will always be ready and the opponent will always be stunned.)
Down-B: Skull Hammer (Toon Link smashes it down with heavy lag, but causes massive damage and buries opponents. In the air he will go into a spinning freefall with it that can meteor smash opponents.)
Final Smash: Wind Waker (Toon Link plays the Wind's Requiem and starts controlling the wind with the control stick. It gets steadily heavier until dying out and can easily push opponents around.)
Side Taunt: Milk Drink (Young Link's taunt from Melee. He could use other things, too, like red/green/blue potions or just water.)
Falco should've used weapons from Star Fox Assault as well as:
Final Smash: Arwing (Works similarly to a oversized and slightly slower and weaker Super Sonic. A shoots, B tosses a Smart Bomb (only one per FS, though) and R/L barrel rolls, sending opponents upward.)
Wolf could've called in Team Star Wolf for his FS.
Peach should've used vibes in her Final Smash. She could randomly cycle through each of them for 5 seconds each or something.
Jigglypuff should've used "Hyper Sing" for her FS... basically working like her signature ability in the anime, putting all opponents to sleep and upping her power temporarily.
Lucas should've used PK Love as his FS.
Wario should have had a different Up-B, though I don't know what.
And yeah, Samus' Morph Ball would have made an awesome crawl, and she could've had a special "crawl attack" that was her bombs. He Down-B could be something else... though I'm not entirely sure what.
Tabuu should have been more tactical instead of having super-powerful attacks (red rings, anyone?). Does that count? :p

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Make Lucario's ExtremeSpeed do twice as much damage as Pikachu's Quick Attack, and be twice as fast as it is now. Oh, and hit three times, just because that's how ExtremeSpeed does in the games.

Top Bottom