• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Region?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Suprisingly this is actually...among the first?

Unless you count the national power rankings project.

Also Smash a yearly prize purse of close to 500k (and that is just Brawl). It is among the most popular and most profitable of any competitive video game.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Lol be more arrogant.

Just because Mango was the only one who was able to beat Armada in his state with 500 people behind him screaming "USA" and "Mango" on NTSC version (crappy Peach) doesn't mean all of the US is awesome.
It means Mango is amazing.

Your argument is stupid.

Also I want to see any of these segmented US-crews beating Armada, Zgetto, Amsah, Poilon, Strawhat, Over, Remen, Faab, Aldwyn and Ice (or Adam / Makenshi / Inf) Edit: Or Calle W or EK

I really like this quote.

I'd like to see your US teams separated into region so that all of your good players are in different regions beat the best of all of europe put on the same crew

Good idea.

D20

Smash Lord
After reading this entire thread, I am most saddened to learn the true origins of DarknessOfHeart's name.

The horror...

PS - East Coast.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
hmm how about not glorifying region superiority for where a bunch of nerds live boring lives playing a game(that isn't even very profitable)? there's nothing wrong with being a nerd or having a boring life though, just when you attempt to glorify it.

even M2K thinks region rivalry/superiority is stupid.

there's probably been 828,501,582 of these threads on here over the years anyway.
Hurrrrr troll

shogun

Smash Journeyman
Suprisingly this is actually...among the first?

Unless you count the national power rankings project.

Also Smash a yearly prize purse of close to 500k (and that is just Brawl). It is among the most popular and most profitable of any competitive video game.
it's definitely not the first thread, I know for a fact because I posted in a similar thread 2 years ago. Smash isn't that profitable compared to most FPS/RTS games, and not as profitable as SF/MVC/etc, general 2D fighters. but obviously you should be playing for the fun, and the competitive edge, and meeting new people.

most good players will only manage to break even on money over the time they play SSBM/B because of travel expenses. so the money is just a reason to compete, no one would agree to play their hardest for peanuts and bragging rights.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
I really like this quote.

I'd like to see your US teams separated into region so that all of your good players are in different regions beat the best of all of europe put on the same crew

Good idea.
The difference is one US region probably is about as big as Europe (active countries, cities). For example: east coast.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Er... isn't there a yearly $1 million Counter-Strike tournament?

That's kind of a real question. I know there was one, but I also know some CS tournament organization went down, so I have no clue where it stands now.

Palpi

Smash Hero
CGS hosts or hosted tournaments, one being for counter-strike and a lot of money. Dallas Venom won 2 years ago i think.

CAL (CyberAthlete Amateur League) collapsed and reformed as BOE (Built on Energy) The winner of the Placement league in CEVO won 5 grand. I am not exactly sure how much they won at CGS, but I do remember someone saying a million dollars.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
hmm how about not glorifying region superiority for where a bunch of nerds live boring lives playing a game(that isn't even very profitable)? there's nothing wrong with being a nerd or having a boring life though, just when you attempt to glorify it.

even M2K thinks region rivalry/superiority is stupid.

there's probably been 828,501,582 of these threads on here over the years anyway.
Sorry, but region rivalry is the best way to increase the level of play in a general region. Without those rivalries, a lot of people wouldn't be pushed as hard to improve their games.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it's definitely not the first thread, I know for a fact because I posted in a similar thread 2 years ago. Smash isn't that profitable compared to most FPS/RTS games, and not as profitable as SF/MVC/etc, general 2D fighters. but obviously you should be playing for the fun, and the competitive edge, and meeting new people.

most good players will only manage to break even on money over the time they play SSBM/B because of travel expenses. so the money is just a reason to compete, no one would agree to play their hardest for peanuts and bragging rights.
Totals in one year, for Brawl only (to be fair the data includes about 30 tournaments from other countries...though those tournaments usually lower the averages lol):

You are probably associating things that happen overseas with what happens here. The reality is that if you want to make bank in PC games then you go overseas. You can't make squat playing Starcraft in the states. The following numbers are US estimates for prize purses.
-Halo 3's yearly prize purse is about 700K (most from MLG)
-Brawl's yearly prize purse is about 440K
-SFIV seems to slightly less popular than Brawl tournament wise but its prize purses may be similar, lets give it the benefit of the doubt and say its equal, even though the only numbers (aka proof) are for Brawl
-CS's yearly prize purse is about 200K (this may not even be true now that CPL/CGS/WSVG/every other company that tried to run this game FAILED in the states, heck, supposedly Fatality's much praised $150k CPL World Finals winnings was never even paid to him)
-GoW2's yearly prize purse is about 100K (most from MLG)
-R6V2's yearly prize purse is about 50K (most from MLG)
-MvC? Not even close, this game hasn't been seriously played since SFIV was released and even when it was its numbers were not as good as Melee or Brawl.

I'm a good player and I've made about 2 grand from winnings alone (in one year) in just ohio (well, about $100 in Maryland/Virginia). If I were to subtract expenses I would be positive a grand and a half or so.

Expenses are a huge deal in other games cause you only have like 1 tournament to go to a month and you usually have to travel far for it and get a hotel (in Halo you go out of your way to make MLG events, for example). In Smash I only have to travel 1-2 hours to get to a tournament EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND. The entry fees in Smash are also among the lowest of any game.

Er... isn't there a yearly $1 million Counter-Strike tournament?
No.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Sorry CGS said that all their prizes came out to 1 million dollars.

But I did read that the winner of CGS for DOA4 won $500,000, in 2007.

"Chicago Chimera: Jeremy “BlackMamba” Florence (Dead or Alive 4 - Men’s): Florence is the world’s top-ranked Dead or Alive 4 player. He dominated the competition at the CGS 2007 World Final, leading Chicago Chimera to victory as the first-ever CGS World Champion team and recipients of the Dew Trophy and $500,000 in prize money. As a result, Florence was declared the 2007 World Final MVP. With his winnings from the 2007 playoffs and his bonus from helping lead Chicago to its 2007 regular-season first-place finish, Florence was easily the highest-paid professional gamer in North America in 2007. Florence, 20, is from Albuquerque, New Mexico."

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
In 2007 (CGS's first season) the prize money for winning their entire season was $500,000 split between 10 people (5 CS players, 2 DOA players, 1 FIFA player, 2 PGR in the first season).

In 2008 CGS folded. LOL. They ran a season in 2008 (folded at the end of the year) and it isn't even clear if they paid out what they promised to payout in this year.

e dominated the competition at the CGS 2007 World Final, leading Chicago Chimera to victory as the first-ever CGS World Champion team and recipients of the Dew Trophy and $500,000 in prize money.
This is reading comprehension fail. It is very clear that the TEAM of CHICAGO CHIMERA won $500,000. Not the DOA player individually.

With his winnings from the 2007 playoffs and his bonus from helping lead Chicago to its 2007 regular-season first-place finish, Florence was easily the highest-paid professional gamer in North America in 2007. Florence, 20, is from Albuquerque, New Mexico.
This is also just false information. You took this from a press release from CGS itself.
source here: http://www.gamertell.com/gaming/com...s-announces-north-american-franchise-players/

In the same year of 2007, Final Boss of MLG was
-In their second year of a $1,000,000 contract ($250,000 a person over 3 years, call it $65,000 a year or so)
-Won $100,000 in the MLG finals ($25,000 a person)
-Won an additional $25,000 per player from other MLG tournaments (and other events)

The DOA dude won:
-$50,000 from getting first with his whole team
-An unknown sum from a bonus
-A $30,000 base salary for the year (actually it would depend on the year, first season CGS's base salary was $20,000).
-Almost zero money from anything else, cause tournaments for DOA simply don't exist on any meaningful level consistently.

CGS did nothing to confirm any of their claims. Here is an example from the same story:

San Francisco Optx: Vanessa “Vanessa” Arteaga (Dead or Alive 4): Arteaga is widely regarded as the world's top woman gamer.
DOA is one of the LEAST played competitive fighter in existence. Being the best among woman in a game that isn't even played by men is...well...no where near being considered as a "worlds top woman gamer". Heck, who would you say is better:
-Xena, of Halo 2 fame, who managed to place in the top 32 a few times at 200+ team MLG events (she was considered the "best" Halo 2 female player).
-Vanessa, of DOA CGS fame, who at best before CGS came into existence could compete in 20-man tournaments and didn't win them.

Most gaming leagues in the US make claims about their tournaments and players that are very rarely true. These claims are made to make themselves look attractive to sponsors and to the general public. Usually the claims are a result of a young league trying to make a name for itself.

D20

Smash Lord
This is slightly off-topic..

AZ, you write for MLG, right? Do you know if they have any larger plans for Brawl/Melee? They have the rights to smashboards.com, Brawl/Melee are posting huge numbers (as you have shown), and Smash was indirectly featured on national TV through Ken on Survivor... I feel like this is a great time for MLG to embrace our game again (at least to some extent). I know the community has been doing very well on its own, but a little help now and then would be nice.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
For Ether.
Totals in one year, for Brawl only (to be fair the data includes about 30 tournaments from other countries...though those tournaments usually lower the averages lol):

You are probably associating things that happen overseas with what happens here. The reality is that if you want to make bank in PC games then you go overseas. You can't make squat playing Starcraft in the states. The following numbers are US estimates for prize purses.
-Halo 3's yearly prize purse is about 700K (most from MLG)
-Brawl's yearly prize purse is about 440K
-SFIV seems to slightly less popular than Brawl tournament wise but its prize purses may be similar, lets give it the benefit of the doubt and say its equal, even though the only numbers (aka proof) are for Brawl
-CS's yearly prize purse is about 200K (this may not even be true now that CPL/CGS/WSVG/every other company that tried to run this game FAILED in the states, heck, supposedly Fatality's much praised $150k CPL World Finals winnings was never even paid to him)
-GoW2's yearly prize purse is about 100K (most from MLG)
-R6V2's yearly prize purse is about 50K (most from MLG)
-MvC? Not even close, this game hasn't been seriously played since SFIV was released and even when it was its numbers were not as good as Melee or Brawl.

I'm a good player and I've made about 2 grand from winnings alone (in one year) in just ohio (well, about $100 in Maryland/Virginia). If I were to subtract expenses I would be positive a grand and a half or so.

Expenses are a huge deal in other games cause you only have like 1 tournament to go to a month and you usually have to travel far for it and get a hotel (in Halo you go out of your way to make MLG events, for example). In Smash I only have to travel 1-2 hours to get to a tournament EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND. The entry fees in Smash are also among the lowest of any game.
Smash tourney scene is just as big as SFIVs if not bigger now hush :p

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I heard WC Canada had this really good province. We don't have states, but BC is probably one of the better 'states' in the world. :\
We play melee. :D

Top Bottom