• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

best Projectiles list

TheMike

Smash Lord
There isn't a real explanation. Items is something, projectiles is something else. If they were the same thing, why to different names?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
There isn't a real explanation. Items is something, projectiles is something else. If they were the same thing, why to different names?
That is the WORST logic I have ever heard.

Swim
Swum
swam.
Both describe the same action. Why use a different term?

Obviously it is to fit the CIRCUMSTANCES.

An item is something that can be used for a myriad of things. Throwing/eaten/whatever

It is a generic term.
A homerun bat can be used as a melee weapon, but it can also be thrown as a projectile.

Item=generic term
projectile=object that has been tossed/fired/launched/whatever

Seriously, why are people trying to make things much more complicated than needed?

TheMike

Smash Lord
ShadowLink84 said:
Okay now explain why an item CANNOT be a projectile.
I explained why projectiles can't be items. Just invert the explanation and have your answer(being catchable = item. Inverting: not being catchable = projectile).

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
bannana's are best when diddy has them though, you can't really be as effective as lazers because you can't just pull out a bannana anytime you need to.

Once someone is caught in the lazer, it's pretty much over.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
No it isn't. Caught in a laser? You make it seem like Lasers are Ness's PK Fire lol.

The thing is, good Diddys ALWAYS have a banana somewhere near them. I mean there are a few exceptions but not very many. 95% of the time, there'll be a banana in the Diddy's hand or somewhere close on the ground/in the air.

C.J.

Smash Master
That's not an explanation... That's an arbitrary definition. Based on your definition, toon link's bomb and ROB's gyro aren't projectiles... Although, everyone agrees that they are. An item is any object that's not alive, pretty much. A projectile is anything that is travelling from something else propelling it.

It's possible for an object to be more than one thing. Look at all the subsections numbers can be in:
Real, imaginary, rational, irrational, natural, prime, composite, etc. Being one doesn't exclude it from being another/a number. It's just something else as well.

Just think of it in subsections, like the animal kingdom (class, phylum, genus, species, etc.)

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
..........I didn't read through this thread, I just wanna say that Ivy's razor leaf is low tier.

TheMike

Smash Lord
That's not an explanation... That's an arbitrary definition. Based on your definition, toon link's bomb and ROB's gyro aren't projectiles... Although, everyone agrees that they are. An item is any object that's not alive, pretty much. A projectile is anything that is travelling from something else propelling it.
Hmm, no. I didn't say that ROB's Gyro or TL's Bomb are projectiles. Look at the AT called Item Toss, not everyone... for sure.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This is the definition of projectile that I've always used: an object that does not incur a hitlag penalty on its user.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
The reason I used the definition "a hitbox seperate and independant from its creator"
was that several moves that do work like projectiles in some way (they get absorbed by PSI Magnet or reflected by a reflector) lack the tactical aspects of what I consider a "true projectile" Pikachu's Thunder, Bowser's Flame Breath, Ivysaur's Bullet Seed, and Ice Climbers' Blizzard all share the trait that nothing is really "launched" from the user: the hitbox is stationary relative to the user. Imagine Ivysaur's move being replaced by a very long pole rotating from his back. This would have the same hitbox, yet be considered a physical attack. Because these "projectiles" are, tactically, too similar to physical attacks, I did not include them.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Tidal, you're just begging the question, there. You can't just say, "I don't think these moves are projectiles, so I'll come up with a definition of projectile that excludes them."

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Toon Links boomerang imo should be higher then his arrows and Links boomerang. It does more damage, more options then arrows and a returning boomerang breaks grabs and sets up shiz.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Saying that Link's Boomerang doesn't set up more shiz is saying that C4 is useless for Snake when he's off stage

This is the definition of projectile that I've always used: an object that does not incur a hitlag penalty on its user.
If we use ph00tbag's logic, then Lucas U-smash is the best projectile in the game XD

Tien2500

Smash Lord
If a projectile isn't catchable then what about Diddy's peanut gun?

We all have a basic understanding of what is a projectile and what isn't. I don't know why people seem to have to make things more complex then they are. If you insist on being so technical we can call this topic "Best long range lateral projectile".

Anyways top 5

1. Snake's Grenades- Projectiles that don't disappear are always good. They do great damage and are versatile. What sets them apart from some others is the fact that unlike other item/projectiles Snake can grenade strip to make sure they're not used against him.

2. Diddy's Bananas- Another item/projectile thats incredibly useful. I feel that Snake's nades are slightly more useful though because they cannot be used against their user.

3. Falco's Lasers- Great at limiting options and the hitstun is good enough to be very disruptive. They can severely limit cretain characters.

4. Pit's Arrows- Like Falco's. Just not quite as good.

5. ZSS' Armor- Would be higher but they cannot be spawned at will. This makes their overall utility far less than some other item/projectiles. They can also be used against the user if not careful.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
This world is seriously going to hell if you think for a second Kirby's final cutter is a better projectile then Ness' PK thunder. Ness'PkT is better then lucas' PROJECTILE wise

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Going through the list...

Diddy Kong - Banana Peel
Falco – Laser
Snake – Grenade
Pit – Palatuna’s Arrow
Olimar – Pikmin Throw
Snake – C4 (projectile-wise, this one should be a lot lower, but if you are taking into consideration its other uses then this is fine where it is)
R.O.B. - Gyro
Link – Bomb
Toon Link – Bomb
Ice Climbers – Ice Block
Yoshi – Egg Throw
R.O.B. – Laser
Peach – Turnip
Pikachu – Thunder Jolt
Snake – Mortar
Sheik – Needles (maybe higher? It's quick and does a lot of damage if all needles hit. It's only problem is it's range)
Samus – Homing Missile (should probably be lower. Doesn't do a lot of damage, and it's extremely slow)
Fox – Laser Shot
Diddy Kong – Peanut Gun (uh... I believe this should be lower, unless I'm missing something here)
Snake – Mine (lower, it's use is pretty limited, and Snake can even get hit by it)
King Dedede - Waddle Throw (should be higher. Range is pretty bad, but it can help him block other projectiles, and there is always the rare Gordo to take into consideration)
Toon Link – Arrow
Link – Arrow (Link's and Toon Link's arrows are different. Link's is more limited due to it not being floaty, so it should be a little bit lower)
Lucas – PK Fire (definitely higher. May not do much if it hits, but it's unpunishable if used properly and can help Lucas recover)
Wolf – Blaster
Samus – Charge Shot
Lucas – PK Thunder
Samus – Super Missile
Lucario – Aura Sphere (I think this should be higher, but I'm not sure)
Mario – Fireball
Luigi – Fireball (Luigi's Fireball is much worse than Mario's. Again, similar characters with similar moves does not mean similar uses)
Link - Gale Boomerang
Toon Link – Boomerang (refer to above, but I think Toon Link's should be higher)
Ivysaur – Razor Leaf
Zelda – Din’s Fire
Ness – PK Fire
Kirby – Final Cutter
Zero Suit Samus – Paralyzer Shot
Samus – Bomb
Snake – Nikita
Ness – PK Thunder (what the heck is this doing so low? This is easily one of the best projectiles in the game. PERIOD)
Squirtle – Water Gun
Mario – F.L.U.D.D. (is there a difference between F.L.U.D.D. and Water Gun?)
Mr. Game & Watch – Chef
Lucas – PK Freeze
Ness – PK Flash (I'm not sure which move is better between the two. It doesn't really matter since they shouldn't be using this anyway)
Wario – Bike (should be a little higher since it does a lot of damage if it hits multiple times and can even gimp some characters. You also forgot to include the tires as a seperate projectile)
Sonic - Spring
Snake – Cypher

We're missing a couple of projectiles, I think. This list doesn't include the tires of Wario's bike and Zero Suit Samus' armor pieces.

:069:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually, I just remembered that Water Gun has a short-ranged attack when it is not charged. Not to mention that Squirtle is more versatile while charging it. So I guess it is better than F.L.U.D.D.

:069:

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
TL bombs are worse than Links. They do less damage and have a smaller blast range. Link has a stronger throw than TL and Link has more bomb combos than TL. Link's Bomerang is better because it can lead to crazy combos such as double d-smash, double f-smash and elimates knock back so that way moves with high knockback are canceled into other moves with high-knockback.
Toon Links bombs are decidedly better than Links. They have far more combo/frame trap potential, and even Sakurai said TLs bombs have a bigger blast radius, unless you're talking about arm power, in which it isn't all that important anyway considering TL almost always uses them in the air (not to mention the bigger radius makes up for it). TLs bombs can do everything Links can, but better (except kill), and things Links can't even do to begin with. Links bombs are definitely a good projectile, but TLs are better - Probably top 5-7. Links bombs are probably top 10 though, since bombs in general are a great projectile.

Toon Links boomerang is pretty solid overall. Not top, but pretty good. It can be angled alot more and hits on the way back, leading into far more practical combo use compared to Links blue-moon combos that likely won't help him much even if he pulls it off, and Links boomerang could actually HELP his opponent recover and/or KILL him. The only thing Links has over TLs is a slight gimp potential, but its not nearly good enough to make his boomerang better.

No offense in any of this, I'm just telling you the truth - and I'm a Link main. I'd love to BS and say his are better, but they're simply not. Even TLs arrows are at least mediocre if you cancel them, but Links arrows always suck except for conveinant, lucky edge-guarding and momentum canceling. Bombs are Links only solid projectile, since Zairs apparently don't count in this list xD;

and as for Zelda, Dins fire is pretty medicore. Its only good off-stage really, and maybe in teams. I'm not sure if theres much practical use left after that.

Edit: Doesn't Watergun charge faster than F.L.U.D.D, and even push them back farther?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Aura Sphere, a projectile that can tear through multiple copies of every single projectile on the list except for Pikmin, Grenades, Ice Blocks, and the Bike, and still kill the opponent behind it at 50-130% (90-130 realistically) while being chargable at any point in time without altering momentum (Only Squirtle's Water Gun is easier to charge), can be fired at any point in time with absolutely no drawbacks (No fallspecial, no severe lag, can always recover from a sphere offstage even when fired towards the stage), has one of the highest wavebounces in the game (possibly top 5 best wavebounces), can be canceled into a shield or a roll, and by extension into aerials and specials, charges very quickly, has a hitbox on the charging animation that actually grows with damage, which can be used to either eat through the shields of certain characters, beat out some physical approaches, or pseudo-combo into aerials, can be timed to give Lucario absolutely no landing lag upon landing ala Snake with a little effort, cancels into an airdodge if charged in the air, has an absurdly gigantic hitbox, has a speed so perfect that it's nearly absurd how well it destroys landing frames and invincibility frames on dodges/rolls, goes through virtually any attack in the game at some point, has a very quick charge release, is relatively quick to release when fully charged (19 frames for a move of its power and range is very good), can grow large enough to hit most characters off of ledges, can do anywhere from 13 to 26 to in some cases over 30 damage depending on aura, is quite possibly the most effective long-range kill move in the game, can have ridiculous amounts of shield hitlag at higher %s, etc, is seated below Super Missiles, a move that while it can be landing-canceled, is slow to come out and slow for it to pick up speed, does a mere 10% fresh, cannot kill at any reasonable % that you'll see in tournament, and can be sliced through with virtually anything you wish to beat it out with.

Something's wrong here?

Aura Sphere is probably better than Needles, and definitely better than the Mortar. <<

Dekar173

Justice Man
Aura Sphere, a projectile that can tear through multiple copies of every single projectile on the list except for Pikmin, Grenades, Ice Blocks, and the Bike, and still kill the opponent behind it at 50-130% (90-130 realistically) while being chargable at any point in time without altering momentum (Only Squirtle's Water Gun is easier to charge), can be fired at any point in time with absolutely no drawbacks (No fallspecial, no severe lag, can always recover from a sphere offstage even when fired towards the stage), has one of the highest wavebounces in the game (possibly top 5 best wavebounces), can be canceled into a shield or a roll, and by extension into aerials and specials, charges very quickly, has a hitbox on the charging animation that actually grows with damage, which can be used to either eat through the shields of certain characters, beat out some physical approaches, or pseudo-combo into aerials, can be timed to give Lucario absolutely no landing lag upon landing ala Snake with a little effort, cancels into an airdodge if charged in the air, has an absurdly gigantic hitbox, has a speed so perfect that it's nearly absurd how well it destroys landing frames and invincibility frames on dodges/rolls, goes through virtually any attack in the game at some point, has a very quick charge release, is relatively quick to release when fully charged (19 frames for a move of its power and range is very good), can grow large enough to hit most characters off of ledges, can do anywhere from 13 to 26 to in some cases over 30 damage depending on aura, is quite possibly the most effective long-range kill move in the game, can have ridiculous amounts of shield hitlag at higher %s, etc, is seated below Super Missiles, a move that while it can be landing-canceled, is slow to come out and slow for it to pick up speed, does a mere 10% fresh, cannot kill at any reasonable % that you'll see in tournament, and can be sliced through with virtually anything you wish to beat it out with.

Something's wrong here?

Aura Sphere is probably better than Needles, and definitely better than the Mortar. <<
Yes. Correct.

Ness' PK Thunder is better than his fire, and is better than Lucas' PK Thunder as a projectile, as it moves faster and can be used for juggling MUCH more easily.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Diddy's bananas are the best in the game they signal handily make a mid tier character a top tier character imo

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Yes. Correct.

Ness' PK Thunder is better than his fire, and is better than Lucas' PK Thunder as a projectile, as it moves faster and can be used for juggling MUCH more easily.
But as a gimp tool/recovery/overall attack, it's pretty hard to argue that Ness's PKT is better than Lucas. Lucas's PKT sends them at amazing angles wherever you want, and can hit them over and over again offstage. All Ness's PKT will do is keep you in the air, but it won't do much after that unless you combo the tail into PKT2.

Lucas's PKT is one of the best gimping tools in the game. It's really hard to argue otherwise.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
I’m sorry I’m unfamiliar with the term “begging the question” :/
I don’t see why I can’t use this definition, after all it’s my definition so anyone can reject it if they don’t agree.

I don’t consider suit pieces a “projectile” because they aren’t created, they aren’t inherent to a character move. They just spawn on the ground, for anyone to take, and cannot be respawned like the projectiles on this list. Tires I consider the same as the Bike, creating a Bike creates the opportunity to get some Tires. Take into account the qualities of the Tires as projectiles when judging the Bike.

About Aura Sphere: I was under the impression that these are fired slowly and travel SLOW so that they are easy to avoid unless fired pointblank. Also, they need to be charged so they cannot be used to much effect as frequently as lasers and rockets can. I thought of the Super Missile as at least being hard to avoid when used twice quickly, and it hits hard without needing charging. Still, if you provide some frame data and quotes to back up what you said about Aura Sphere, I will move it up a lot.

Top Bottom