• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Movie Ever Created?

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I assume you're talking about the long action scene where Clive Owen runs and fights his way through that prison to save the woman, all in one take. That was a pretty incredible scene, I wished I'd seen it in theatres.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
IMO Forest Gump is probably the best. Funny, dramatic, historic, great acting, etc. Just seeing the ways Forest lives through so many historic events, and I just find it so interesting. Runners up include A Goofy Movie, and the Lord of The Rings trilogy.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I agree, I think it's because Japanese acting is quite often over the top and very bad (IMO).
Same with anime. Anime is a boring used style that is now nothing more then copycats who can't be bothered to create their own style.

Matt07

Smash Master
Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children was a really good movie, in my opinion.

But then again, most Sci-Fi/Fantasy films I watch seems to be my favourite.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
yesterday i went to see Benjamin Button, and although it was an odd subject and it was based on a book, it was a great movie. It is definitely one of the best movies made, it was sorta like a backwards Forest Gump.

Blackadder

Smash Master
A film needs vision. That doesn't mean it has to be epic in scope, like Blade Runner or Lawrence of Arabia, but it needs to have that whole lovingly crafted feel to it. The cinematography has to enrich the film by providing the necessary atmosphere. The actors must play their parts to every crossed T. The shot angling and timing has to draw you in without drawing attention to itself. The music needs to supplement it. Above all, the film has to really, truly accomplish what it intended to -- whatever that may be.
The depressing thing is so many films really BLOW. I can't figure out why. Who makes these run-of-the-mill Bond rip offs?

For a business built fully on creativity, Hollywood sure puts out a lot of generic crap. Is it just that some directors really just don't care about all the things you mentioned? Or are they just inept? It's really pretty rare to run across a film that's really, really good.

Apparently few directors have any idea what they're doing.

Not sure about anime though. I don't watch a lot of it. I really don't know why... it just doesn't take me in. I actually get really distracted and bugged by the amazing amount of fanservice in a lot of anime.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
That's kind of a naive way to look at it. Hollywood is a business, and like any other, it has to make money to sustain itself.

If they notice a trend (Bond ripoffs, remakes, teen slashers), they'll exploit it until it becomes unprofitable.

And it's not like intelligent filmmakers haven't made a point of becoming bankable. Steven Spielberg makes a pile of money about the size of Trinidad on just about every movie he makes, but I consider him a director with vision. Even Christopher Nolan, the indy champion, has had his mainstream hits (Insomnia and the Batflicks, although they are all good films and intelligent). And George Lucas is a perfect example of a drive for success gone horribly wrong and leading a visionary astray.

Ultimately, directors and their films still need to make money. As such, untalented people that make a marketable film (Brett Rattner, for example) get a lot more work than the maestros that don't rack up the C-Notes.

Blackadder

Smash Master
If they notice a trend (Bond ripoffs, remakes, teen slashers), they'll exploit it until it becomes unprofitable.

Ultimately, directors and their films still need to make money. As such, untalented people that make a marketable film (Brett Rattner, for example) get a lot more work than the maestros that don't rack up the C-Notes.
It's really those two points that just sort of... bug me. Filmmaking is a business striving for profit, yes, but at the same time it's also an art form. It seems like such a mockery of the art. Bah humbug I say. moneymoneymoney

As for George Lucas, I'd say his new Star Wars films still have a lot of vision. He really cares about them, or so I assume. He shoves in TONS of (unessesary) detail to the backgrounds and seems obsessed with filling his universe with endless backstories. It's just his vision now sucks, apparently.

That and action figures. He wants you to buy them.

Spire

III
BRoomer
yesterday i went to see Benjamin Button, and although it was an odd subject and it was based on a book, it was a great movie. It is definitely one of the best movies made, it was sorta like a backwards Forest Gump.
I know someone in that movie. Devyn Tyler.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
I assume you're talking about the long action scene where Clive Owen runs and fights his way through that prison to save the woman, all in one take. That was a pretty incredible scene, I wished I'd seen it in theatres.
yeah, where everything just stops when everyone who is fighting realizes what is going on. that scene is my favorite from any movie. very powerful

Viroxor

Smash Ace
V For Vendetta was a terrific film. My favorite scene is the ending where all the costumed people walk right though the line of soldiers. It was a very well played-out scene. An interesting take on the subject of terrorism and totalitarian governments. I recommend it to everyone.

And for the record, I think I'm the only person who thought the Star Wars prequels were decent movies, just not as good as the original trilogy.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
imo, imo, imo, ff7ac was a terrible movie

I agree with op, shawshank is probably the best movie ever made, all imo of course.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
How are you people still talking about a bunch of movies that are not The Blues Brothers? It's the best movie ever, and you are all wrong if you think anything different.

Sorry, but sometimes the truth hurts.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
How are you people still talking about a bunch of movies that are not The Blues Brothers? It's the best movie ever, and you are all wrong if you think anything different.

Sorry, but sometimes the truth hurts.
Lol, why do you always say your chioces are the ONLY ones correct?, and any other are invalid? Just curious. :)
waits for BAN

But seriously, Bloodsport II = best movie ever, aside from Lion King of course.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
To me, I'll say Jurassic Park, I don't know, that move to me seem like it was really well done.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
The only problem I had with The Maltese Falcon was the opening crawl that gave you the big reveal of the plot before the movie even started. Would've been much better without it.

Kirbythebanshee

Smash Rookie
Blades of Glory is the funniest ****ing movie EVER!
Will Ferrel and Jon Heder are my favorite actors ever, and to see them come together to make such a masterpiece is just amazing

yeah, as you can all tell, i don't watch many "good" movies, just funny ones :)

Engel

Smash Journeyman
There is no best movie >_>

Also, A Clockwork Orange was pretty good.... book was better

Random movies I liked and can think of at the moment (aside from stuff I already saw listed):

Bloodsport
KickBoxer
The Karate Kid
The Fifth Element
Excalibur
The Princess Bride
Independence Day
Top Gun
The End of Evangelion
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
GhostBusters
SpaceBalls
Feris Bueller's Day Off
Wall Street
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
The Fugitive
Chasing Amy
Home Alone
Tommy Boy
Black Sheep
October Sky
Run Lola Run <-- watch this

And this list is already too long so I'll stop >_< guess I've seen a lot of movies

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Attention, anyone who said that The Dark Knight is among the best movies in history:

Please form a tidy single-file line in front of me so that I can, one at a time, hit each of you in the head with a rolled-up newspaper and curtly proclaim "No." in a condescending manner as if I'm disciplining a dog who just urinated on a four-thousand-dollar Oriental rug. That movie was good, but it is nowhere near worthy of a spot in the everlasting annals of space and time.

Now, to be on topic. My favorite movie is Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi, but the award for best movie I've ever seen goes to Pulp Fiction.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I think you know where you can stick your hypocritical pomposity, considering the best movie you have ever seen was a well-written and clever comedy.

Top Bottom