• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

best character for beginners and how to use him/her

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I recently bought brawl and i want to play it competitively. I have played sssb64 for 2 years so i know the basics of smash but obviously none of the strategies from ssb64 carry over to brawl. So I'm wondering who is the best character for beginners and what are some strategies for using him/her, like some basic combos.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
Marth is a nice character to learn. You can sometimes chaingrab with him, and his Smashes are great if sweetspotted. His Down-B (Counter) is a great move, and can easily be spammed. His Up-B gives surprising knockback if preformed while touching opponents. His Final Fmash can be amazing (if you play with Smash Balls.) Trick opponents into jumping (or juggle them), then hit them in the ending lag of their landing animation, or while helpless. I recommend short hopping before using the Final Smash, so you can hit opponents who try to jump over you. Marth's Side-B combo, when ended with his downward attack, can be great for racking up damage (and clearing out move decay). His Standard-B can be used for recovery. Of course, Marth can execute the famed Ken Combo, Foward Air followed be Down Air. Although hard to use in Brawl, it can still be a great killer.

BTW, you should get Melee. It is my personal favorite in the series.

Life

Smash Hero
Play random for a while. Meta Knight is both the easiest and best character (if not simultaneously so) but his ridiculous popularity means that virtually everyone knows their MK matchup very well and whatnot soooooooo...

CaptainFalcon9000

Smash Ace
ike, he might be heavy but once you get the hang of his moveset you´ll now how to win as him enven tough he´s slow and heavy, if not then try meta knight or captain falcon.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Kirby is by far the best character for beginners. I usually give him to people who are just now picking up smash. He has 5 jumps and makes the most sense to new players. I don't know, for some reason it takes effort for new players to screw up as kirby (it still occasionally happens). Just please for the love of god, don't spam down-b. We all know it works on CPU and bad players, but good players will make you pay for it everytime.

If you don't want to start with kirby, just learn Metaknight. He's the most popular character in the game though, so everyone will know everything about how to beat him. If you really want to succeed in this game, he's the best choice, but if you're just looking for a game to play semi-competitively, you might want to find a different character. Metaknight's light weight means big mistakes get punished hard.

EDIT: I should read the first post. My response was built for someone who had never played a smash game before. If you've played N64, just screw around with random or sell your soul and pick metaknight.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Captain Falcon is also a good character for new players. He definitely helps get a lot of the basics down, especially as he has trouble with projectiles it helps dealing with them later, when you pick a main, as there are few characters who have more trouble with projectiles (Ganondorf is one of them).

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I say Snake. His ground game is pretty good with his tilts but don't get too predictable. If your juggled your gonna be in major trouble cuz of his limited options. Put his grenades to good use too. Don't just throw then the second you use them. They'll throw it right back.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
I would recommend Marth as well, due to his relative simplicity, but also because the character rewards a player for properly spacing.

This could help a new player develop good spacing faster by giving the specific reward of increased power and damage per hit.

The strategy for Marth is to keep your opponent within a certain range: close enough to hit the opponent (Marth has no projectiles), but keep outside of your opponents grab and jab moves. His best move for spacing is his F-air, with a good horizontal range in front without exposing him to too much attacks in turn due to his sword not having a hurtbox to hit.

Marth's fastest moves are his SideB and Jab (His Up-B also provides invincibility starting frame 1, making it technically his fastest move, but the attack lands on frame 5). The 2 aforementioned moves land on frame 4, slower than most of the frame 2 jabs in the game. This is why Marth is very vulnerable up close.

It may become habit to continually approach the opponent with f-air, which will allow your opponent to dash in and shield, then grab you. To discourage your opponent from shielding too much, Marth has a fairly long ranged grab, as well as a move that can break the opponents shield.

Your opponent may in turn tend to spot dodge or roll behind you to break the stalemate caused by Marth's great spacing game. The only advice I can give is to expect it. It's difficult to react to it, but if you watch for it you should develop a reaction of your own to punish this habit your opponent may develop.

TL;DR: Marth is a good character to pick up due to his easiness to use, and because he encourages you to learn the basics that improve you as a player.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I would say Ike, but if you want to play competitively Ike is definitely one of those characters who is "easy to pick up and get decent with, but very hard to master properly". So as others have said, I'd go for Marth.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Meta-Knight's pretty easy for anyone to pick up, as his Dsmash, UpB, and Nado are all relatively easy to hit with and provide very large rewards for connecting. He also has a monstrous recovery, which a lot of newer players seem to like in a character.

Marth also has it pretty well, with great and easy mixups in his Fair, SideB, UpB, Dtilt(basically, his ground game), and a nice finisher in Fsmash, although it does take some work to land those tippers. He's a character if you're good at basic spacing.

Among other newb-friendly characters, there's Mr. Game and Watch and King Dedede, who have relatively simplistic and easy to apply strategies.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I'd go with D3~! His tilts are all good, easy to use spacing moves, he ways a ton so theres lots of room for error, and his OoS options (lolgrab) are simple and effective. Tack on his damaging (and easy to do) chaingrab, great aerial game, and broken spotdodge and you got an easy pick up-and-play character.

-Ran

Smash Master
I'd go with D3. It teaches you a good bit of the defensive options of the game, can handle most characters well, and has a pretty bread&butter style play.

link2702

Smash Champion
metaknight

down smash

tornado

shuttleloop

and down aerial

gratz, u r now a "pro"

Blissard

Smash Lord
Beginners generally orient to characters that have moves with huge knockback/range, terrific recovery, or spammable attacks. But Metaknight and Marth are indeed both quite simplistic to play.

Someone should make a flow chart to help people decide their main :D

gratz, u r now a "pro"
You forgot Uair :(

:ledge:

Life

Smash Hero
Amending my previous post (not using edit because it's upthread and sufficiently different)

If you want the best character in the game, who has very little attack lag, can survive surprisingly big attacks with proper DI/MC, with excellent reach and no bad matchups, but that everybody learns quickly how to deal with (on a basic level) because of his popularity, pick MK.
If you want a character that camps with "traditional" projectiles, pick Falco.
If you want a character that's ridiculously difficult to kill, and that has more-unique projectiles and lots of kill power, go Snake.
If you want a character that's.... Diddy Kong... pick Diddy Kong. <.<
If you want a character that is inherently designed to reward good play, pick Marth. <---This is probably the best one for newbies.
If you want a character that annoys people (other than MK), pick Wario, Olimar, or Sonic.
If you want a character that's incredibly challenging to play because it's so bad, pick anyone in the lower few tiers.
If you want a character that's incredibly challenging to play but isn't actually bad, pick Pikachu or Ice Climbers.

FIREL

Smash Ace
I agree with marth, he was my first main when i got brawl (though i sucked back then)... Easy to use.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I recently taught my dad to play Brawl and he found a great liking to Mr. Game and Watch. G&W has an easy recovery and has very strong and quick smash attacks. One of the simplest tricks that I taught him was to do down throw to down smash and that'll work against just about anyone who plays the game casually.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
Game & Watch will teach you how to press buttons and not get frustrated..but he won't make you good at this game. Metaknight will teach you Metaknight and then you won't want to switch characters ever again.(this can be good or bad). I say go with learning a basic character like mario...he helps you learn to play the game in a general sense, but he'll also challenge the noob playing as him to pick up on things and also learn combos and tricks along the way. Picking up spammable characters when you first play the game will just make the learning process take far longer then necessary(unless you're a veteran to fighting games).

CaptainFalcon9000

Smash Ace
Amending my previous post (not using edit because it's upthread and sufficiently different)

If you want the best character in the game, who has very little attack lag, can survive surprisingly big attacks with proper DI/MC, with excellent reach and no bad matchups, but that everybody learns quickly how to deal with (on a basic level) because of his popularity, pick MK.
If you want a character that camps with "traditional" projectiles, pick Falco.
If you want a character that's ridiculously difficult to kill, and that has more-unique projectiles and lots of kill power, go Snake.
If you want a character that's.... Diddy Kong... pick Diddy Kong. <.<
If you want a character that is inherently designed to reward good play, pick Marth. <---This is probably the best one for newbies.
If you want a character that annoys people (other than MK), pick Wario, Olimar, or Sonic.
If you want a character that's incredibly challenging to play because it's so bad, pick anyone in the lower few tiers.
If you want a character that's incredibly challenging to play but isn't actually bad, pick Pikachu or Ice Climbers.
a good captain falcon player is deadly against chars like snake, olimar and the ice climbers, believe me i was a snake player and i know how fast and tricky captain falcon can be.

mariodk

Smash Ace
Mario or Luigi or Sonic is best to begin with
mario/luigi is all round (as always) good in power/jump/abit fast

Sonic is just fast and can almost spam spindash/N-B

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
For one, on logical reasons. Lucas and Ness.
Hey, children played as Lucas and Ness and became instant pros. XD;

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I chose King Dedede and stuck with it, I love bombarding the enemies with Waddle Dees

is hammer is bigger than Popos, and he knows how to use it better

Soniscape

Smash Rookie
You should just try out all of the characters and stick with whichever one you feel most comfortable with.

I chose lucario and wolf.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
If you want good recovery/a spammable projectile, go with Pit.

If you want good recovery/some stronger attacks, go with Kirby.

If you want awesome power and range, go with Ike.

That pretty much sums it up for beginners. :D

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
When we get new people to play brawl in Kingman, I have them practice with Mario. They learn to play campy with fireballs, how to auto-cancel aerials with uair, nair, bair, and (with practice) dair. They learn the importance of faster aerials and to connect aerials with tilts/jab. Beginners are normally limited to "all aerials but fair, jab, grab, shield, upb, fireball, dsmash." After a few mario dittos they just pick up whatever character(s) makes 'em feel is easy to get a good grip on.

tl;dr: Pick up Mario and don't use fair or down b. Then pick someone else when you see someone you like.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There should be a tier list for beginners :/
Easiest to learn would probably be Mario, Bowser, Marth, and Ike while Snake, Olimar and Ice Climbers are the hardest.
Strange, Olimar was one of the first I learned and is in my best 5 characters

trickyghost

Smash Cadet
Honestly, go with whoever you think looks cool and if their play style works for you then try to develop it, thats's how I started maining snake.

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
Can't go wrong with Mario if you've ever played any Mario game. I started with him and it felt so easy and cool to be able to play almost like playing normal platformer. Easy to remember all the moves and have idea what they're good for because I've seen then a million times before

But then it might just be my very first impression

Pandu!

Smash Cadet
Answer to your first question: Meta Knight.
Answer to your second question: press the win button to win.

Now if you want to know who the most AWESOME character is, its Dedede. You live for-freaking-ever and smash the holy effing bejeezus out of people with your big *** feet and your gigantic mallet of justice. He's the only reason I haven't quit this game entirely for melee yet.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Just try out every character and see who you feel most comfortable with.
You can always change characters later if you decide to, I know when I was first starting out I basically just played every character trying to decide who to use, it took me a while to settle on MK/Diddy.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I would suggest perhaps starting out with Ike. At competitive level, he's not a top character, but a lot of people who are just starting out think he's really amazing. Marth is a good choice too, although he's not a personal choice of mine.

Top Bottom