• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

being a consistently good player

Hax

Smash Champion
being consistent is a huge problem for me in smash. i'm going into genesis not sure about what my performance is gonna be like, and i'm sure neither my crew nor my teammate nor i want to hear that. i've been playing unbelievably sh*tty these past few days especially :(

so i'm asking the consistent players; any tips on being consistently good? i'm **** when i'm on fire, but my lack of consistency seems to prevent that.

Pi

Smash Hero
When you have your off days, i mean...do you know what you do wrong on those days?
If you know that, you could play a match and really look at what your mistakes were, then you can focus on them
Nothing is going to be a good day though, but you can I think improve your bad days greatly if you yourself or someone else can point out what you're doing that is hindering your gameplay

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
you probably don't understand what you're doing right when you are playing good. not in game wise, but in general.

some things i've been doing to help me play 100% on command:

1) be happy. if i am pissed off or just in a bored mood, i play noticeably worse. taking a break or just simply forcing myself to be happy usually gives me more energy and more determination to focus on the match.

2) look at the enemy. sometimes if i am making a lot of mistakes or not focusing in general, my eyes either go onto my character or somewhere neutral so i can see both characters. one notices habits a *LOT* better if they are looking at their opponent.

3) stay away from land moves. keep in the air and mobile, sometimes if i'm playing sluggish or not 100% i'll do more tilts/smashes to space, so if i remind myself to stay mobile i do a lot better.

basically, learn your habits and try to break them, thats the only way to do good consistantly.

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
Play with confidence. Don't play mad or frustrated. Make yourself happy or confident, which ever way you can.

unknown522

Some guy
being consistent is a huge problem for me in smash. i'm going into genesis not sure about what my performance is gonna be like, and i'm sure neither my crew nor my teammate nor i want to hear that. i've been playing unbelievably sh*tty these past few days especially :(

so i'm asking the consistent players; any tips on being consistently good? i'm **** when i'm on fire, but my lack of consistency seems to prevent that.
practice your fundamentals vs human players. Don't play against CPUs and try to play vs more than 1 person, otherwise you will probably feel stale and repetitive. Raynex has the same problem as you a lot man, so I've seen this happen for years.

Lucky enough you don't main spacies, otherwise it'd be harder for you. Another alternative is to use sheik, marth, or puff (seriously though, you can try using another character, then go back to falcon after an hour or so. It can help).

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Starting off a series of games on a bad note can effect your esteem in later matches. If you have high hopes for yourself and you either don't play up to your expectations or play someone significantly better than you it can lower your confidence and you start slipping up, and the worse you do, the more frustrated you'll get. Just go into every game with an open mind and open expectations and never expect to win.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer

Practice consistently.

With what little bit I know about you (as in, I really dont know you other than what I've heard), I could take a stab in the dark and say your practice stops at the technical aspect.

I imagine you have absolutely no problem consistently pressing buttons at the right times to do things (Read: the technical).

However, I'd imagine that you're not consistent in your reading ability, edgeguarding, tech chasing, and evasion of all of those (Read: The Mental)

THAT's probably what kills your consistency. If I remember right (I could be thinking of somebody else), I remember somebody telling me they played you at like R.O.M. or something and you made a comment like "Wow, you're hard to read because you never tech in place."

Now I'm pretty **** sure you can always press the buttons you need to to cover whatever tech you can (In your case, it'd be all since you play Capfal), but you not always making the right choice in looking for a tech left or right (or away or towards, depending on how you look into it. -yada yada dogy theory-). Again, I dont know you very well, so you might not even think of this as a point of consistency (which it is).

So, in conclusion, I'm guessing you probably want to work on the mental part of the game; the tech chasing, edgeguarding, reading approach patterns, defensive patterns, movement patterns, etc etc.

Think of it like this; I dont really care too much about how well you can combo me from a grab if you cant read me enough to know where you CAN grab me.

______

tl;dr - practice the mental aspect, you probably have the technical part down.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Play me more Hax, then feel better about yourself, lol.

Even though you own me every time we play (so, I'm really in no position to tell you how to be more consistent), I wonder if you suffer from the same sort of thing that gets me sometimes, in which, I do dumb things or mess up things I normally never mess up, and get slightly annoyed with myself for not playing as well as I should be (or normally am playing). However, getting annoyed with myself only makes me do even worse, which gets me more annoyed, and continuous in a downward cycle.

I've learned though, for the most part, to not get annoyed with myself. I accept the fact that I'm not playing as well, and made a dumb mistake, and just try to keep playing past it. Essentially, if I don't let things get to me, I do better or, at least, recover from a "down" period sooner. I have no idea if this even applies to you, so I might just be posting unnecessarily, lol.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Studying high level match videos can teach you a lot.
-slaps as well-

He's got nothing significant left to learn, he just plays inconsistently. I would say you are probably playing too much, you need to take a little break. Also, don't switch around your characters so much if that's what you've been doing. For me, confidence is the most important part of consistent play, so you just have to tell yourself that you are the best and that you won't mess up.

Be more conscious of the buttons you are pressing. Pay attention to your hands while you are practicing (not in a real match, you will lose :p)

I'm most inconsistent when I think I'm going to lose.

Hax

Smash Champion
yeah i'm definitely a top player when i'm on fire, but thats sooo rare for me especially during friendlies lol. i agree with confidence, as well as a good sleep and idk - i suppose a healthy diet. i'm going through a lot of crap to go to genesis though and i don't wanna **** up over there. :( keep the advice coming

unknown522

Some guy
Starting off a series of games on a bad note can effect your esteem in later matches. If you have high hopes for yourself and you either don't play up to your expectations or play someone significantly better than you it can lower your confidence and you start slipping up, and the worse you do, the more frustrated you'll get. Just go into every game with an open mind and open expectations and never expect to win.
woah, sounds exactly like players in my area (mostly Raynex)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
-laughs sarcastically- I've heard some raynex stories.

I really wouldnt fault people for stuff like that, though. That's just how people look at things. Infact, only thing I would talk down on him about is how he "mentally beats himself up" over some things.

Saying it's a big deal is opinion. So is saying not to get bent out of shape about it. But you just cant dwell on it. That's when it starts being a problem.

Hax

Smash Champion
has anyone heard the tale of me vs raynex at ROM? :)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Hax. It's called confidence. Take a break for a day or 2, go over your strategies again and be prepared for the situations you know you will encounter most. Your Falcon is straight **** you got it man.

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
yeah i'm definitely a top player when i'm on fire, but thats sooo rare for me especially during friendlies lol. i agree with confidence, as well as a good sleep and idk - i suppose a healthy diet. i'm going through a lot of crap to go to genesis though and i don't wanna **** up over there. :( keep the advice coming
I think the problem might be that you are too worried about doing bad at genesis that you are letting it affect your game play.

Hax you are gonna do well don't worry man :D.(btw Dogys advice is the way to go. Hax shouldn't be the only one paying attention to that either).

We still gotta MM so you better beat me :D.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
has anyone heard the tale of me vs raynex at ROM? :)
Once upon a time I was ****** Hax. 15 NY people started screaming in my ear, and Hax miraculously leveled up 246 times.

I lost. :(

The End.

To be consistently good, make sure you have an entourage consisting of about 15-20 NY residents.
Throw coffee crisp and kool-aid at them periodically to keep them energized.
Proceed to play match.
Hit crowd hype button for maximum effect.

I'll get you next time. : D

blast_ssbb

Smash Ace
Once upon a time I was ****** Hax. 15 NY people started screaming in my ear, and Hax miraculously leveled up 246 times.

I lost. :(

The End.

To be consistently good, make sure you have an entourage consisting of about 15-20 NY residents.
Throw coffee crisp and kool-aid at them periodically to keep them energized.
Proceed to play match.
Hit crowd hype button for maximum effect.

I'll get you next time. : D
i lawled cuz he's not kidding :D.

i was there too. my eyes dont see color anymore.

HAX WE BELIEVE IN U KICK ***.

Top Bottom