• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BC plays MELEE - no Brawl allowed - May 15/16, 2010 - Burnaby+Vancouver, BC, Canada

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I didn't really play you much in 64 blue yoshi, looks like we have to do that.

People should hop onto the 64 mm bandwagon too >_>!(I'll even do low tier trolololo)

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
lol wtf

Use low tier in the actual tourney.
Low tier means ****.
Learn to play, if you're good you'll win anyway FOO!

bot 20 is to get noobs to learn the game.
BC Plays Melee FOO!
Bout time you learned how to play the REAL game.

Hype

*****ES!

unityole

Smash Lord
there should not be a bot20 in a tournament with this many OoS players

simple

bot20 on the next BC only tournament
that is probably right, but this is a 2 days melee tournament, pretty sure there will be time to fit in extra events.

evan is the host so he decides, but when im doing it there will have melee beginners, not everyone is as good as ryan or tony.

ALSOO, bot 20 would take away maybe 1-2 players from singles MAX, where as it would now give an extra 3 players into singles (really think about players thats not so good at the game and travels, there arent that many). not everyone is willing to spend money to enter singles and lose, hardcore smashers like the okanagans and islanders do that.

having newbies that suck at smash show up just to watch or get destroyed at a melee tournament is probably the worst way to build a community. of course they can practice for years at home but that isnt a very friendly smash community.

whatever you guys might say, i really dont see ryan and tony give out advices to people they donno, always never. they just come and win tournaments and play with good players.

Stevo

Smash Champion
I think he has a point tho

the more intense the competetion, the less friendly advice is given.

I dont think there is anything wrong with having some bot20 tournaments, but dont the "New" players want a chance to meet/play some of the best smashers from OoS too? is it not worth 10 bucks to get your *** handed to you and then get a chance to talk with some great players.

otherwise, good players will stop coming to the tournaments, and that as well, is not good for the community.

Patooty

Smash Ace
otherwise, good players will stop coming to the tournaments, and that as well, is not good for the community.
THIS

Bot20 may have been OK in theory, but it's really just a euphemism for banning good players from playing in a specific tournament.

Also, Bot20 players seem to have no motivation and/or desire to leave Bot20.

Edit: btw I'm not even saying this for my sake, that's just the way I see it.
I don't win tournaments.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I see where ya coming from. Although it doesn't apply to everyone. I give advice and train people no matter what their skill level is. I've been doing it for years and I'm currently training people as we speak. Sometimes new players are shy and thats understandable but I'm really easy to talk to and wouldn't mind helping a player out with any questions they might have. I get it all the time at tournaments or people IMing me, etc.

Harrisburg

Smash Journeyman
well, they way i see it is.
if a better player is playing someone newer, or not as good and they DO see an opportunity to give advice, like if they see soemthing the person could be doing or somthing like that, and they dont tell them thats dumb and your a ***** LOL, but thats only if you see some sort of advice to give. And for me, its true, i do tend to play with the better ppl most the time.

so the only time i really do play with 'noobs' are in a brackets, but with bot20 thats never gnna happen.
and just because your playing with a noob, doesn't necessarily mean theres always advice for you to give,

honestly, i think the best way for noobs to get better, is to enter tourneys, to play with the better player, and to lose. Its their choice how they wanna pick themselves up.

Sion

Island of Horizon
what beginners tend to forget is, is that bot20 is only a side event. if they really wanted to stay at their skill level, they'd only enter pansy side events for the rest of their career. i'm not in smash for the money, so i don't care about the # of entrants aka bigger pot, but only entering bot 20 and not normal singles is freaking idiotic.

..however, i did get to where i am today by playing a bunch of noobs lol

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
honestly, i think the best way for noobs to get better, is to enter tourneys, to play with the better player, and to lose. Its their choice how they wanna pick themselves up.
*nods*

what beginners tend to forget is, is that bot20 is only a side event. only entering bot 20 and not normal singles is freaking idiotic.

..however, i did get to where i am today by playing a bunch of noobs lol
True dat, all dat.
And I know exactly where you're coming from. :D

I give advice and train people no matter what their skill level is. I've been doing it for years and I'm currently training people as we speak.
Helping others get better is all I EVER do around here.
**** Okanagan LMAO

Beginner events only belong in smaller local tourneys and only some of the time.

Top Bottom