• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #5: Snake

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
It'd just be nice I suppose. I will ask though. Do you just have to be knowledgable and trying to help advance Snake's metagame to be in it?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
We discuss characters back there, and release that (and allow the public to contribute) after a bit. Kind of like the original project near the release of Brawl.

Overall, I do not think this thread has done a very good job of explaining why Snake should fall down from 2nd place. All I feel this thread has done is really prove that Snake is human and not in the same class as Meta Knight.

Despite his faults that every character can take advantage of, it does not disway the fact that Snake really has no poor results in any category. All of his match-ups are dead even only borderlining on soft counters. He also does not suffer from CP stages that Falco does, nor does he suffer from planking to severe degree. He is not totally helpless like Falco is.

Snake has established himself has a very solid candiate for 2nd tier position. The only way he will ever fall is if another character can somehow challenge Snake's already good qualities of not being gimped by the ruleset or by match-ups. Falco however is gimped by the ruleset and a couple of match-ups. These means Falco is not a suitable candiate for 2nd. Perhaps Diddy is, but I do not know much regarding diddy to say if he is really 2nd best.

RATED

Smash Lord
Snake should be 2nd or 3rd( Diddy at 2nd) not any lower. Snake has a lot of Strong assets but also a lot of weakness( he can't land ). Most snake players are "stuck" at the same place and snake's grenades allow him to be creative in a lot of situations like Edgeguarding for example. He have a great killing power but his best killing option( Uptilt) is very punishable like most of Snake's moveset including his aerials.

I never have played a top level ICs or Falco so that I couldnt tell about those too.

OverLade

Smash Hero
A tier list is about performance at equal skill levels. You keep saying "Snake mains are doing it wrong", but Snake mains would perform better if they picked up a different and easier to apply character. The reality is that Snake takes more skill to perform with than all the other top tier characters, which is why he's not as good. He takes more skill to perform with because his good options are still only based on reads. MK can dair camp badly and it's still good, just like Falco can laser camp badly and it's still good. Bad nade camping will hurt you and get you juggled.

It takes more skill to perform with Snake at the same level as you can with other characters a lower levels, which is why snake isn't as good as those characters.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
A tier list is about performance at equal skill levels. You keep saying "Snake mains are doing it wrong", but Snake mains would perform better if they picked up a different and easier to apply character. The reality is that Snake takes more skill to perform with than all the other top tier characters, which is why he's not as good. He takes more skill to perform with because his good options are still only based on reads. MK can dair camp badly and it's still good, just like Falco can laser camp badly and it's still good. Bad nade camping will hurt you and get you juggled.

It takes more skill to perform with Snake at the same level as you can with other characters a lower levels, which is why snake isn't as good as those characters.
would that justify a lower tier placement? i thought that the tier list is based on characters being played at the top of their metagame, essentially basing placements off m2k, ally, dehf and adhd. snake being hard to master should not come into it then; ally clearly does extremely well with him.

imo, snake, even when played at the top of his metagame, is still a worse character than mk/diddy and possibly falco. the earlier two have better overall mus (snake has 14 mus that require study) and much better stage choices. in general, you'd think that mk/diddy have more options at any point in time. snake makes up for this somewhat because of his trap game and broken hitboxes, but the question is, if snake's ability make up for his inability. and this is not something that is easy to define. in this sense, i think its very individual, and cant really be recorded.

that aside, i think its also very important to consider why snake does well. thinking logically, he has issues (even or 55:45) with most of high tier, and even bad mus, BUT, he arguably has the most even mu with mk, who kills off most of snakes opposition. in a metagame without mk, i have no doubt that snake would easily fall to 5th or 6th place. not even a question. and i think this is something that must be taken into consideration. If mk is the only reason why other characters are not ahead of snake, surely that must bear weight.

im just writing things down as i think of them, but i fully disagree with snake's position at 2nd. this is not a snake main *****ing about how hard life is, but rather, a carefully considered decision, taking into account mus, options and tournament successes. and from this, i cant see a logical reason why diddy isnt above snake, and question whether or not falco should also jump above snake. in fact at the moment, i firmly believe that ally is the sole reason they are stuck where they are.

end rant.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Diddy is a mixed bag. I personally do not think he is better than Snake because he has more questionable matchups and stages will always be a fairly large factor on his viability. As you pointed out, MK being in the picture makes Snake look very good in comparison to others. Since MK is in the game however, you cannot neglect that and say "Well without MK, he would drop" since MK is still there. He's not second best in a world MK-less, but with MK he probably is second best on a realistic level.

Most other characters that could take his spot either have stage issues, or have a terrible MK matchup. Diddy, Falco, IC's, Marth being the main candidates. If you were to assume a very conservative stagelist, some of them could take his spot but it would not be 100% clear even in that instance.

would that justify a lower tier placement? i thought that the tier list is based on characters being played at the top of their metagame, essentially basing placements off m2k, ally, dehf and adhd. snake being hard to master should not come into it then; ally clearly does extremely well with him.
With merely that example, you run into the problems that were mentioned earlier on this thread. The problem is that when you focus on only a few people you start to base the character off of human skill rather than actual character potiential. Looking back at the facts presented in this thread, no other snakes really other than Ally place well in tournaments constantly.

So is that evidence of Snake being a really good character, or merely Ally being clever or more skillful than his opponents. There is a Sonic player named X who does fairly well against some well known players (ex. tyrant). Does this mean that Sonic is really that better of a character or merely due to human skill.

Attila_

BRoomer
running the argument along that line, though runs into plenty of problems also. how many snakes do well in high level tournaments? there isnt many. from memory fatal was the second ranked snake at the last mlg, but he was sitting outside the top 16 (i really dont remember to well, so feel free to correct me, but you get the point). there is a similar issue with falco (no other falco does well consistently besides dehf). so then how do we overcome this problem?

Attila_

BRoomer
then if you base it off the average, snake isn't second. no other snake does well consistently after ally.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The same can be said for Diddy and Falco as well. Their average is probably lower than Snake's.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Crow did

Snake better than Diddy and Falco

For those who missed the first four, consider:
-Strengths/weaknesses
-Matchups
-Tournament performance
-Current tier list placement and potential for the future
Strength and weaknesses can be neglected due to match-up results. All strength and weaknesses of a character related to recovery, surviability, killing power, etc. is already addressed in match-up results. Therefore, a characters strenths and weaknesses are properly reflected through match-up results. If a character has more hard counters than favorable match-ups, this means they have more weaknesses than strengths. A few weaknesses and strengths due however transcend match-up results though. And that is through stage selection. Of this, you should focus some area of influence.

Current character potential is near impossible to predict. I do not even understand why this is even a factor. Can anyone honestly predict how a character might grow when it is entirely dependent upon the person playing them? No, this factor is too heavily influenced by player skill to even really matter.

That leaves tournament performance. This is the final mixture of all factors dictating the outcome. As previously stated, some characters out perform other on a regular basis due to the presence of certain characters at a tournament. As such, this cannot be a reliable way to dictate a characters placement. Also, you must consider stage selection and human skill playing a part behind a character when it comes to the outcome of a tournament. Because of this, I believe it is a fairly unreliable source of information and should only be used as a minor consideration.

In chemistry, in order to predict the placement of an electron orbiting an atom, they work with areas of highest probability. Smash tier list is something that should be applied in the very same way; the one who has the highest probability of success in a tournament. All that we are left to work with as a result are carefully thought out match-up results that give a probability of success and some logic when addressing things like stages and character apprence in a tournament.

When all is layed out, we can see that MK is clearly in the lead. His match-ups results prove that he is undeniably good. If you continue on with stages, he cannot get screwed over by stages. This gives MK the highest chance of success of winning a tournament than any other characters.

Snake appears next in the list. He is very similar to MK in match-up results, however, he has more potiential for losing due to many more even match-ups compared to MK. Also, Snake does fairly well with the counterpick system of stages. he does not get overly gimped by a characters counterpick unless that character is exceptionally good on that stage. Wario on Brinstar for example.

The rest of the top tier levels diddy, marth, ics, falco, etc. for consideration. All of these characters have exceptionally good results regarding match-ups. However, they are more influenced by them as a result of the appearance of certain characters and stage selections. Snake and MK can go into any tournament and not have to overly worry about match-ups or stage selections. They have the least drop in chance for success because of this. A character like Falco on the other hand has 1/2 hard counters and is dependent upon stages. This means he has a lower chance of succeeding in a tournament. This means that Falco should not be placed higher than Snake when Snake clearly has a higher chance of succeeding. The same is applied to Diddy, Marth, ICs, etc.

In summary, MK is 1st, Snake is 2nd because they have the highest chance of success at a tournament.
*This is only true however if one believes the tier list is merely a ranking of a characters success rate at a tournament. Where 1st has the highest probability of success whilst 37 has the lowest chance of success at a tournament.

TKD

Smash Lord
From what I read, Diddy's the one that's overrated. Also, there's no reason to disregard Ally's and DEHF's results like you would with M2K's to measure normality, since M2K is the only player far better than even the good ones.

OverLade

Smash Hero
then if you base it off the average, snake isn't second. no other snake does well consistently after ally.
The same can be said for Diddy and Falco as well. Their average is probably lower than Snake's.
Average consistency as far as performance in matchups however is probably higher among Diddy players.R@zer is the only other snake player who places relatively consistently and it's mostly just because of his region... and even then he'll still lose to "random" characters.

Everyone else is really good but still loses because the character has so many difficult matchups.

napZzz

Smash Hero
the argument about taking away allys results then saying to take away the other top character players results isn't valid

ally is better than all of them for the most part, it'd be better to remove ally and make razer the "top player" for snake in this situation and compare to the other people.

TKD

Smash Lord
/\ I disagree, because even though Ally is considered the 2nd best player in North America, I consider him normal, unlike M2K. Remove the latter, and the only people remaining to complain about MK are scrubs.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
the retardedness contained in this thread is disgusting

SNAKE IS NEARLY UNPUNISHABLE, HE HAS NO DISADVANTAGED MATCHUPS!!!

seriously? these are back room members? l m f a o

props to redhalberd and ally for actually having some **** sense, halzy's post was ****
yea sorry that not everyone knows everything about every single character in the game. :)

also, if you're referring to me, i never said he had no disadvantaged matchups, nor did i say he's nearly unpunishable, i said he's having very little disadvantaged matchups and is nearly unapproachable if he is camping well. read right next time. ^_^

Underload

Lazy
yea sorry that not everyone knows everything about every single character in the game. :)
What? Why the hell would you post what you think about Snake if you know you're inexperienced, and if you know that your logic is probably flawed from that inexperience? That's just stupid.

etecoon

Smash Hero
What? Why the hell would you post what you think about Snake if you know you're inexperienced, and if you know that your logic is probably flawed from that inexperience? That's just stupid.
this

and I wasn't referring to any one person in particular, "snake is nearly unapproachable" is also hilariously inaccurate

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Who said I'm inexperienced? While I'm by far no expert on Snake, I do think I know enough about him to post my opinion about him. That I did, and if it's not completely correct, then well, big deal. There's enough people who corrected me in the course of the thread, even before it was made public, and I enjoy the fact that you seem to think I didn't get anything new out of this thread.

And just for the record, I'm not posting anything in character topics I actually do know I know too little about to form a reasonable opinion, see Diddy's thread, never posted there.

etecoon

Smash Hero
And just for the record, I'm not posting anything in character topics I actually do know I know too little about to form a reasonable opinion, see Diddy's thread, never posted there.
He has insane abilities that border something I'd call broken.
Snake who camps well is almost unapproachable
Snake's no piece of cake in the offense either, though, having insane moves in his arsenal, such as the Jab and the FTilt, as well as the DACUS. His approaches are dangerous
Snake literally wrecks a whole ton of characters, especially in Mid and Low Tier
Dedede, who is considered being pretty much the only true disadvantage Snake has in the cast.
10 characters

napZzz

Smash Hero
sometimes I wonder how some people got into the brawl backroom..

TKD, if ally is normal...what does that make the rest of our players :/

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
sometimes I wonder how some people got into the brawl backroom..
yea really, those morons who don't know every little detail about every character should really get kicked out. oh wait... that's all of them. :)

@etecoon:
I would call, for instance, the UTilt not being normal due to its hitbox, thus borderline broken, yes.

A Snake who does camp very well is indeed hard to approach, especially with lower tiered characters, no matter what you think.

Jab, FTilt and DACUS all are good matters of approaching/offense, you can't tell me they aren't.

Snake does literally wreck several characters, especially in Mid and Low Tier.

Dedede is indeed considered being the only true disadvantage Snake has in the cast, but not by everyone. You might not be one of these people.

So, out of your 5 quotes, 3 are based on opinions and experiences, and that differ from yours, especially those 2 regarding matchups. Only quotes 2 and 3 could be wrong, but to my knowledge, they aren't; if they are, I stand corrected. I wrote far more than what you quoted though, and calling someone over small 2 details out of a big post to be a noob and saying **** like "why did he get into the BR" is extremely petty.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Nappy, why shouldn't we put out ADHD & DEHF if we put out Ally?
You do know that at one point, ADHD was as good as or better than Ally & DEHF was considered the 4th best player. Those results they got back then count towards Diddy & Falcos ranking. Oh, and ADHD beat Ally in tourney a week ago.

napZzz

Smash Hero
yea really, those morons who don't know every little detail about every character should really get kicked out. oh wait... that's all of them. :)

@etecoon:
I would call, for instance, the UTilt not being normal due to its hitbox, thus borderline broken, yes.

A Snake who does camp very well is indeed hard to approach, especially with lower tiered characters, no matter what you think.

Jab, FTilt and DACUS all are good matters of approaching/offense, you can't tell me they aren't.

Dedede is indeed considered being the only true disadvantage Snake has in the cast, but not by everyone. You might not be one of these people.

So, out of your 5 quotes, 3 are based on opinions and experiences, and that differ from yours, especially those 2 regarding matchups. Only quotes 2 and 3 could be wrong, but to my knowledge, they aren't; if they are, I stand corrected. I wrote far more than what you quoted though, and calling someone over small 2 details out of a big post to be a noob and saying **** like "why did he get into the BR" is extremely petty.
SUPER THEORY FIGHTER GO!

its so easy to post all of snakes strengths but when it comes to weaknesses outside of a few obvious ones they're hard to individually point out as many characters have a bunch of dumb **** they can do to him and people never would stop to think that snake has glaring blindspots and that nades aren't impenetrable

Snake can camp pretty well, but you dont really have to **** with that. Playing patient is the real way to **** snake over, CAMP HIM BACK. You dont even need a projectile. Did you ever notice how good snake is at being offensive? He lacks reliability in alot of places that make him hard to stay consistent with and that he's just...not as good as everyone thinks he is.

When you say **** like that about snake, it usually means you either play a character snake beats or you're bad at the game and haven't learned how to fight him. Its not 08 anymore =/

Also, DONT BOTHER POSTING IF YOU DONT KNOW **** ABOUT SNAKE you cant say oh sry i didnt kno all bout this char lol dont post if you dont have th eknowledge, its that simple

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Joel, clearly you haven't learned that posting anything other than "derp derp derp" in response to any one of Etecoon's posts is a waste of time, lol.

Just for the record, Snake being "nearly unapproachable" is as true a statement as saying Falco or Olimar is nearly unapproachable-- which they all are, because their camp games are all incredibly strong. It means he's very difficult to approach relative to the rest of the cast, which he is. Saying otherwise is ridiculous, Snake has a great camp game. It doesn't mean he's broken or invincible, but that's how trolls will read it.

Derp.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
SUPER THEORY FIGHTER GO!

its so easy to post all of snakes strengths but when it comes to weaknesses outside of a few obvious ones they're hard to individually point out as many characters have a bunch of dumb **** they can do to him and people never would stop to think that snake has glaring blindspots and that nades aren't impenetrable

Snake can camp pretty well, but you dont really have to **** with that. Playing patient is the real way to **** snake over, CAMP HIM BACK. You dont even need a projectile. Did you ever notice how good snake is at being offensive? He lacks reliability in alot of places that make him hard to stay consistent with and that he's just...not as good as everyone thinks he is.

When you say **** like that about snake, it usually means you either play a character snake beats or you're bad at the game and haven't learned how to fight him. Its not 08 anymore =/

Also, DONT BOTHER POSTING IF YOU DONT KNOW **** ABOUT SNAKE you cant say oh sry i didnt kno all bout this char lol dont post if you dont have th eknowledge, its that simple
Alright, so I stand corrected about him - and yes, I do play characters that get beaten by him. But pretty much all of matchup knowledge is based on personal (!) experience and opinion, thus the only thing both sides can find a spot to go from, it's his actual character traits.

I was wrong on a few of them, alas, happens, I guess I exaggerated on a few things because I didn't feel all too well when I made that post. I also indeed said I'm not an expert on the character, but I do know about him, and you treat me like EVERYTHING I said was completely wrong and BS. Not everyone knows every little detail about Meta Knight, Falco or Diddy, and still a lot of people post their opinions on them in matchup-related threads, or the tier list thread, including Snake mains, who post actually wrong stuff about these characters.

If you prohibit everyone who doesn't know a character into the smallest detail to share their opinion, you for one will stop them from learning (because they won't even bother to read up discussion; and yes, BBR members have to learn too, we're not omniscient gods), and you will stop YOURSELF from learning opinions of others, and might get to know a detail you didn't know because it comes from a character main of a character you don't know that well.

So, I posted my opinion, and I got corrected. What else do I have to do in order to you stop acting like I was spewing lies and/or complete bull**** in every single word I stated? Seriously, this is ridiculous.

etecoon

Smash Hero
@etecoon:
people who've actually tested utilt's hitbox generally don't think this, in terms of zoning the blind spot on utilt is actually a major character flaw for snake

hard to approach =/= nearly unapproachable, and snake really isn't that hard to approach period "no matter what you think" < GREAT DEBATING SKILLS THERE

all of these are horridly unsafe on the block or whiff and jab/DACUS are sometimes unsafe on hit. these attacks are situational and usually only good for punishing

snake doesn't wreck anyone, in terms of shutting down low tiers, he's probably the worst in A tier and some B tier characters do it better.

I can't think of any snake players except cändy that think this way, there are a lot of ignorant people that main other characters(mostly meta knight's because they don't want him banned) that hype snake up to be a lot more than he is

calling someone over small 2 details out of a big post to be a noob and saying **** like "why did he get into the BR" is extremely petty.
considering that you people are the ones that decide whether or not MK gets banned and general ruleset things, it is concerning when we see that they apparently select people at random these days

-Ran

Smash Master
Joel, it's okay not to know everything about the game; however you shouldn't have worded your initial post as you did. If you need clarification on details, ask for them when you write a post, or if you are unclear about something pose questions in a thread such as this to correct/fill the voids of knowledge that you have. Don't just post the usual rhetoric in a thread such as this that is going to be found in any match up thread from the start of Brawl.

Like I said, it's okay to be wrong and misinformed; by keeping silent you would have maintained your flawed knowledge. I'm sure that from the discussion sparked in your post that others were corrected as well.

Now everyone stop diluting the thread with this nonsense.

OverLade

Smash Hero
/\ I disagree, because even though Ally is considered the 2nd best player in North America, I consider him normal, unlike M2K. Remove the latter, and the only people remaining to complain about MK are scrubs.
I think M2K is more normal than Ally. They both simply have unnaturally fast reaction and processing ability, with Ally's being faster than M2Ks.

There's a sizeable gap between them and the 3rd fastest player (imo it's Anti) and I consider from the 3rd player throughout the rest of the "top players" is where we should actually base Data from concerning the metgame because the top 2 are outliers.
Quote:
He has insane abilities that border something I'd call broken.
Quote:
Snake who camps well is almost unapproachable
Quote:
Snake's no piece of cake in the offense either, though, having insane moves in his arsenal, such as the Jab and the FTilt, as well as the DACUS. His approaches are dangerous
Quote:
Snake literally wrecks a whole ton of characters, especially in Mid and Low Tier
Quote:
Dedede, who is considered being pretty much the only true disadvantage Snake has in the cast.
Everything about this is wrong.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar

If I recall, I remember someone from another forum explaining that any tier list should be based off of "how easy it is to use X character." What you said confirmed it, and since Snake takes a lot of skill to be good with, then he doesn't deserve the 2nd position if characters below him are easier to play and be awesome with.

Top Bottom