• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #26: Bowser

MrEh

Smash Hero
You know, when you start a race closer to the finish line than everyone else, it DOES make alot of sense that you'd have less of a trip to make than everyone else...
I lol'ed.

Ok, I need to make a serious post now.

One of the few things that was actually mentioned in the BBR discussion was Bowser's UpB, and for good reason. It a frame 6 move, it has invincibility from frames 1-5, it can be done directly OoS, it does 16%, and it has a huge hitbox. The Fortress is one of the best, if not the best OoS move in the game. However, the Fortress isn't only useful for punishing OoS. There are also several other perks to having the Fortress, many of which are rarely used. One of them is using the Fortress to flat out beat your opponent's attacks. Simply running up to your opponent and Fortressing when you predict an attack sounds idiotic, but there's actually a good reason in attempting it. Running up to your opponent and Fortressing creates a silly rock-paper-scissors game that is usually more in Bowser's favor then your opponent. There is reasoning behind this.

1. If the opponent tries to swing at Bowser, his attack will most likely lose to the Fortress. This is a win.

2. If the opponent spot dodges, he will get hit by the later hitbox of the Fortress for negligible damage, but with enough knockback and stun so Bowser will be able to slide away unpunished. This is a tie.

3. If your opponent shields, then Bowser will be punished. This is a loss.

Even when you look at the Fortress like rock-paper-scissors game, it still seems like a very large risk for only moderate reward. However, combined with another one of Bowser's perks, this becomes a deadly 50/50 guessing game which can lead into big damage. The other perk? Grab releases. Your opponent's defensive option that covers the Fortress will be beaten by a grab, and vise versa. This is very applicable for Bowser because he almost always has more damage output then his opponent, and he definitely has the weight advantage. If you trade hits with Bowser, then Bowser will usually always come out on top for the aforementioned reasons. If a Fortress is shielded, then Bowser is going to get punished. The punish might even lead into 30% or more. However, Bowser taking 30% is not the same as his opponent taking 30%. Due to the weight difference, 30% usually means more to the opponent then it does to Bowser. Bowser's high damage output from his grab usually also works wonders here, since a grab release chaingrab can do upwards of 30% to nearly every character in the game. Simply pummeling and regrabbing your opponent when they break out racks up damage pretty solidly. The outrageous part is that if the opponent is above 35% or so, there's absolutely nothing the other player can do to escape as long as the Bowser player does not screw up. However, forcing a ground release over and over again to continue the chaingrab is extremely difficult. It requires paying attention to your opponent's percent and your opponent's mashing, and you must time your pummels accordingly so that your opponent always ground releases. However, the results are brutal. With proper usage, a chaingrab from Bowser can do upwards of 50%, and it leads into guaranteed followups to boot. Do you want more percent? Then Klaw them afterward for even more damage and follow up accordingly. Do you want to kill your opponent? Then Dtilt them afterwards.

Let's talk about Fortress OoS again. A common argument against Fortress OoS's usefulness is that it only really works against punishing unspaced moves. Almost every competent player will be spacing his attacks well, so it seems like Fortress OoS would be useless right? Wrong. Bowser has several tools that seem like they were designed to ruin spacing; the very spacing that is encouraged because Bowser has Fortress OoS. One of these tools is obvious, the other sounds absurd. The tools I am speaking of are Ftilt and Fsmash.

Ftilt is a good anti-air move. While it comes out a bit slow with a 9 frame startup, it's still fast enough to punch people out of the air, especially if you angle it upwards. As people have already said, Bowser's fist is huge. It's massive. Unless you're up against Ike's Fair or something, Bowser's fist will just plow through most aerials. The reason why this move never really loses against most aerials is simple. During the first 8 or so frames of startup, Bowser's arm is completely retracted. During the 10th frame, his entire arm extends, hitbox and all. That's why it's near impossible to strike his arm during the startup animation of the move, because his arm extends along with the hitbox in one frame. This, combined with the Ftilt's good range, allows Bowser's Ftilt to either beat out or trade with most aerials. And like I said before, trading against Bowser are usually always in Bowser's favor.

Fsmash on the other hand, isn't an obviously useful move like Ftilt is. Saying that Fsmash is an amazing move seems almost laughable. It's extremely slow and punishable, so how can it possibly be good? There is one aspect of Fsmash that redeems it: the drawback. Similar to characters like Sonic and Yoshi, Bowser draws his frame backwards before swinging forward. Unlike other characters with drawback, Bowser's drawback is massive. It's so big that it can be used to dodge moves and counterattack for big damage. It sounds silly and is extremely hard to visualize unless you've seen it before, but it works. Example, Snake throws out a well spaced Ftilt, and Bowser dodges with the drawback animation of his Fsmash and punishes. Another example, Marth throws out a very well spaced Fair. Bowser's Fsmash has such a huge hitbox that it can even punish Marth after dodging it with the drawback. Hell, it can even punish a perfectly spaced Ike Fair, which is hilarious. Again, since Bowser is a character that forces spacing because of his Fortress OoS, it just creates more opportunities for him to throw out an Ftilt or swing his gigantic head forward. Unlike the Fortress, both of these moves do not punish your opponent for spacing poorly. Rather, they punish your opponent for spacing well. Being able to punish good habits is a very useful defensive option.

Another topic that was brought up was Bowser's speed. While he does walk slow, Bowser runs pretty quickly on the ground. Plus, he moves quick in the air as well. Combined with his infinite second jump, he is extremely agile and fast while airborne. Bowser's second jump can keep bowser moving at his maximum aerial speed, and it gives you very high amounts of aerial control. It allows you to bait attacks, control space, adjust your aerial spacing, and even approach if you want to. Bowser can also infinite jump after falling through platforms, which gives him some extra mobility on common stages with fall-through platforms, such as Battlefield and Smashvile. The Klaw can also be used to change the direction Bowser is facing in the air, since the Klaw can be used to turn Bowser around without losing any air speed. Being able to turn around during those occasions that Bowser will be going offensive is a useful perk, especially since you'll sometimes want to be able to jump at your opponent and instantly go into a Bair or something.

The Klaw itself is an amazing move. Or to be more precise, the aerial Klaw is an amazing move. The hitbox on the aerial version is massive and will outright beat anything that isn't heavily disjointed. This is not a mere aerial attack. This is an aerial grab. Your opponent can't just sit in his shield all day against an aerial Bowser, because he could easily just fall on you with a Klaw. An interesting property of the Klaw is that you barely lag when you land with it. So if your opponent spot dodges the Klaw, Bowser can follow up with grounded moves right after the Klaw. Bowser is not limited to simply following up with grounded attacks either. Bowser's infinite jump can also be used to jump away or attempt to cross up your opponent if they spot dodge or roll away from the Klaw. It gives Bowser a crude form of offensive pressure. The Klaw is one of the main reasons why Bowser is not, and should never be bottom tier. Having an air grab in this game is a rarity, and Bowser happens to have the best one. By far.

tl;dr

Bowser is bad. He is not bottom tier bad.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
You really have to play against a Bowser as smart as MrEh and get cracked with f-smash over and over to appreciate how useful of a move it really is. It punishes auto pilot hard. I always have to remember to under space against it so that the drawback doesn't cause me to whiff.

Edit: Thank you Chad for putting your thoughts into writing. Good stuff.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
MrEh. I love you, simply put.

:]

The BBR really should get people with educated views on characters that don't really...exist, per se. But I guess it's why you guys come around and make these "discussions".

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
At least they had some idea of Bowser's strengths and weaknesses (and how to use/exploit) them, unlike Olimar.

Or should I say, Pikmin being controlled by Olimar.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
At least they had some idea of Bowser's strengths and weaknesses (and how to use/exploit) them, unlike Olimar.

Or should I say, Pikmin being controlled by Olimar.
Well they knew Bowser a little bit, but they had paragraphs about how bad he was, yet forgot to mention Klaw, or if they did, only gave it a few sentences.

The sheer usefulness and USES of that move are amazing, and I don't think they get that. lol

Flayl

Smash Hero
That was awesome MrEh. It is also probably the longest post you've ever done on the bowser boardsa, not counting your grab release thread haha.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Quality, quality post, MrEh. You really nailed Bowser's key points that either haven't been mentioned or haven't been elaborated on in this discussion.

Browny

Smash Hater
It's so big that it can be used to dodge moves and counterattack for big damage.
Missed opportunity for massive damage :(
Hell, it can even punish a perfectly spaced Ike Fair, which is hilarious.
Ok now this I gotta see... like really, I dont believe it lol.
Bowser is bad. He is not bottom tier bad.
Yep

Kinda dissapointed BBR are suggesting he would be bottom tier :/ Plenty of characters wish they had bowsers sideb, jab, grab combos, f/u/dtilt and upb and with that many amazing moves while being the heaviest character it seems a little ridiculous that you could put him in bottom tier. When I think of characters like lucas, jiggs, samus and falcon I can think of like... 2 moves they each have which I wish my mains as oppose to bowsers arsenal of many great attacks.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Not a lot of people playing Bowser is sad, but it gives us something to work for.
It is also a very effective way of seperating the people that just play him because hes good and the people that play him becuase they really want to play him, because they like the oversized turtle even when he gets ***** by a plumber almost every Mario game.

As many pepole may wish the character to be better, it has the bad sides too.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I don't think bowser is bottom tier.

I've always thought that he has a tad bit more than all other low tiers.
He's a "high tier low tier".

I don't think that's changed.
Maybe this time around he'll be firmly amongst low tier.. but i'd be disappointed with bottom tier.

Bottom tier is for characters without out of shield options.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Nah, Zelda isn't that bad. As funny as Triforce Tier is, Zelda doesn't belong there.

That being said, Zelda is still terrible.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I think she should be at the bottom of F tier at the very least, but no higher then F tier.

Maybe I'm just slightly biased because the best Zelda in the nation is my next door neighbor. lol

Flayl

Smash Hero
I thought you were biased the other way (see: your posts on the zelda board lol).

MrEh

Smash Hero
I thought you were biased the other way (see: your posts on the zelda board lol).
Nah, it only seems like that because the Zelda boards (in general) overrate Zelda. Some actually think she should be at the top of low tier.

Hilarious.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Mr Eh, I thank you for the detailed summary. I'll raise those points again when it comes to voting and more voting discussion about Bowser in the future, so your efforts will be worthwhile (=

Flayl

Smash Hero
Get Vex back in there while you're at it. Even if he hasn't played Bowser in tournament in forever he can still sort things out.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Zelda has similar problems to those of Ganondorf. Just generally less potent.

But this is a Bowser discussion. :V

Flayl

Smash Hero
MrEh if you can make another short essay for Bowser's jab, it was pretty much ignored in the discussion.

You wouldn't believe the praise falcon's jab is getting.

There should really be a requirement to actually talk about Bowser before people start posting. I've read so much rubbish so far, it's really disgraceful to think that AA said Bowser was second worst... He does need to drop, but to think he's worse then Samus or Jiggs is outrageous.

Mr.Eh, you are my god, a writeup on Bowser's jab would be more then useful right now.

B!squick

Smash Master
There was thread posted in Tactical about the ins and outs of every character's Jab. And it had EVERYTHING. For instance, I never knew Bowser's Jab had a grand total of 3 hitboxes.

Anyway, in looking through the data he had concerning frame advantage and all that, Bowser had the third best Jab in the game behind only Lucario and Ike, but not necessarily in that order. it was made by hotgarbage, let's see if I can find it...

Ta da!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236603

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I see the bottom of the cast panning out about like this:

Low tier

Jigglypuff
Yoshi
Link
Lucas
Samus
Mario
Captain Falcon
Bowser

Ganon Tier

Ganondorf

As per Captain Falcon vs Bowser, I wouldn't mind Bowser above Captain Falcon putting Bowser as 3rd worst instead of 2nd worst. It seems kinda close to me. Bowser has his two good moves (up and side specials) while Captain Falcon has mobility and his one good move (uair). Both are very weak characters that lose to pretty much every good character but are still probably above Ganondorf due to a somewhat competent ability to fight other low tiers. The tipping point for me is that I suspect Captain Falcon beats Bowser in the direct match-up, but I can see it as close. I could also see dropping both into bottom tier and making a three character bottom tier of Captain Falcon/Bowser/Ganondorf with order not being that big of a deal.
Are you kidding me? Bowser second worst? Falcon third worst? Zelda mid tier....?

If people like this are in the BBR... I don't even know what to say. Does AA even play Brawl anymore? He sounds like one of those '08 GnW players that still think he's the best in the game.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Ok Bowser's Jab doesn't actually outrange as much FTilts as I remember:
Mario
Yoshi's (but is outranged by DTilt)
Ness
Jigglypuff

As you can see just going by this it's nothing to be proud of, but then you have to consider Bowser's Jab goes even with Toon Link's FTilt and a bunch of others for a lot less lag.

B!squick

Smash Master
AA's post made me giggle. I wonder if he knows that the hitboxes on most of Bowser's moves come out before Captain Falcon's comparable moves? Not that being able to attack faster would give Bowser a leg up in the match-up or anything.

Nah, I'm sure he knows.

Okay, this is may seem like a pretty harsh statement to make, but I mean absolutely no offense by it AA, but just how did you get into the brawl backroom? I've read most of your posts regarding these character discussions, and everything you say seems to be either heavily biased or just plain misleading.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
If Boozer didn't have his Up+b OoS, he'd... Aww, god - He'd be *complete* trash.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I've decided to actually work on my Bowser.
And maybe use him as a "CP" for Marth. And maybe Snake, if that's an okay matchup.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Bowser does ok against Marth. And by "ok", I mean that Marth still wins pretty solidly, but Bowser doesn't get *****. Just learn how to slow down his aerial approaches with Ftilt and try to get a feel for the spacing. If you've figured your opponent out, then you can start Fsmashing him.

Snake on the other hand is debatable. Some people think it's not that bad, others think it's a bit worse. Personally, I think the matchup is bad.

Top Bottom