• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle Arena Melbourne 7 - May 22-24 2015 - Rego Closes May 17th, no exceptions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
More updates just because

People I've contacted and they said they are keen as and should be able to come:

hax
chillin
ppu
hugs
axe
Lucky
hmw
d1
leffen
prog
Wife
Zhu
Mango

people I've tired to contact with no reply yet:

amsa
s2j

people that said no:

pp
scar (couldn't get long off work)

Last edited:

Hughie

Smash Lad
Would love to see joey back in aus, such a bloke.

I really do feel this will be the tournament to watch in May for America

J-Birds

Smash Lord
norwalk norwalk norwalk norwalk norwalk norwalk

prime opportunity for that which shall not be named x3 footage

Last edited:

JKTS

Smash Cadet
If it comes down to a vote again, can we do a better system than first past the post this time?

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
well i found some $815 return from MEL to LAX tickets just this week, so hopefully I can find tickets like that again.

Otherwise west coast players is around $1100/$1200, Europeans and east coast US are a bit pricier at about $1700

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
even more updates, HMW said if he did come he will likley have alan come with him too on his own dollar. The duo seem super stoked

shouldn't have double posted sorry 2bad

Last edited:

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Get him to convince Phil to come as well.
At that point PPU should come as well and SS and Norcal...

Last edited:

Meredy

The Busterina
I vote Chillin and Scar, and I will definitely be donating again, last time was worth it.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
My vote is for Zhu and PewPewU. Two of the slickest players of their respective characters, they have some great history, and they seem chill.

We should also get Bob$ to commentate so he can scream "OH MY GOD!" with his Mickey Mouse voice every time something swaggy happens.

Gords

Smash Champion
my vote is for axe, ppu, leffen. hopefully some of the players we cant get to BAM we can get to sydney 2 months later
ill need to work on this.
@ Redact Redact give me "getting international players to Australia" coaching, you are clearly amazing at it.

Last edited:

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
Definitely keen on Zhu and Hax. Two fantastic players with a history of fantastic sets, would make an awesome grand finals.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
While still waiting on other responses and since we're nearing the change from "who do we want" to "who specifically do we want out of these 15~ players", I'd like to get feedback from people who did or didn't donate for SS.

For people who did donate:

were you happy with what you paid for and do you feel you got value for money?
would you donate again? why/why not?
what would you add or remove from donations, or change with how things were done for SS?

For people who didn't:

Why didn't you donate?
What would need to be different to make you donate?
Even if you don't have any plans on donating, what other ideas do you suggest?

I'm up for doing anything and/or everything from last year again or changing it up completely, whatever would make the event better for you guys.

Even if it comes from an outside perspective as "I would have liked to see more x/y/z from armada/lucky at SS last year" it would be great feedback so we can make the visit even more memorable for even people watching at home.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
Why didn't you donate?
What would need to be different to make you donate?
Even if you don't have any plans on donating, what other ideas do you suggest?
1. Didn't donate to Armada because I figured too many people would crowd around him, he was also sponsored by EMP back then, dumb reason I know. I didn't know much about Lucky but he's a great guy after now that I got to hear from him, if I could go back in time I'd donate to him.

2. I need more $$$, seriously though it was done well last time imo it's just me that needs to think more differently.

3. Idk if I'm donating this time or not, but I guess I wanted more unknown/underdog people represented, because the top players would obviously destroy us / win almost freely, but then upset wins are hype too especially when Lucky took a game off Armada with C.Falcon.

I would like to see more side/fun events that involve the international players (maybe I wasn't there when all of this happened).

Gords

Smash Champion
I was extremely pleased with the involvement that Adam and Joey put into the Australian Scene and that even afterwards cont. to represent us (joey used the Aus and Kiwi tag at TBH4). These two definitely were the best players so far to be sponsored to come here. These 2 were definitely worth the money I put into them to get here, and definitely worth more than M2K, Mango imo.
I am happy to put in a reasonable amount of money to get players here and a little extra for the incentives. Incentives are great as long as the players being sponsored are willing to do them as Adam and Joey were.
The meet I think was a great idea and the set for all donators as well was good. Armada definitely took everything seriously giving players advice and answering questions after every set he did. the 1 on 1 coaching was good too as it guaranteed at least a reasonable amount of time with at least one of them but I feel that people could have gotten similar advice that would have been given during coaching pretty easily just over the course of the weekend. I would actually combine these incentives into one so 1on1s are done only at the meets regardless (which i think thats what happened anyway) but market it more as a social event where we have a BBQ or go out for dinner or something with the guests to get to know them better with the added bonus of the guaranteed playtime (similar to what happened on sunday night at the greek restaurant but with a smaller group). this will likely need to be worked around everyone's availability obviously
The option to give highest donators the ability to team with/house the guests is probably one of the best things about the incentive program imo, as it allows for amazing matches since the teams become more balanced. The PM finals was so HYPE mainly due to this incentive.
I will definitely be up for donating again just to help the Australian scene out, the amount will depend on the incentives and the people I am donating toward for personal value. Last time was done very well imo, and not much needs changing as long as the guests are as open to these ideas as Adam and Joey

Basty

Smash Ace
More than likely coming
Maybe us Tassies can organize a crew this time to take on another state in some good old melee
Also my vote for international is PewPewU. But Phil get in contact with abate cause luigi players are hype

Splice

Smash Hero
1 were you happy with what you paid for and do you feel you got value for money?
2 would you donate again? why/why not?
3 what would you add or remove from donations, or change with how things were done for SS?
I feel I got my $150 value in the form of Lucky and Armada's actual presence at the event, moreso than by the donation rewards. Playing with Lucky before the tournament and talking to Armada as well as watching their performance and impact on the tournament really enhanced the tournament for me and was already worth the $150 for me.

I would donate again based on players, for example I think Chillin would be a homie and I would also be able to improve a lot from talking with him and playing against him. I want to commit extra dollar to this as incentive to get Chillin.
I still want to donate if the community chooses someone else because I know any extra funds go back into the community anyway and I want the quality of the tournament and community to continue to improve.

The half an hour 1on1 time with a player of your choice didn't seem that great to me; it made people inaccessible for a period and it was less communal. A bit awkward, even. The donators only meets were hype, and if everyone could just jump on against Armada and Lucky the whole time and ask questions whenever it would be better. I chilled with Armada and Lucky outside of the tournament/meet and in terms of learning it happened at those points.

Try to exclude anything that inhibits others from getting value out of the guests (apart from the donator meet imo)
Housing and teams incentive is a reasonable reward as well
You could add material incentives to the donation like posters (either BAM materials that they are selling or we can get people to make our own promotional materials for free)

JKTS

Smash Cadet
1. Absolutely. Couldn't have been more pleased. Blue cheese sauce was amazing. Adam and Joey were pretty cool too.

2. For sure. More if players I want get picked to come, but will donate something regardless.

3. Everything in there was good except maybe the 'who donates most gets x' system. Maybe this time make it like an auction where you only pay extra if you win. It would suck to be outbid and still be paying way more than others for no extra benefits. Also alternative vote pls.

The half an hour 1on1 time with a player of your choice didn't seem that great to me; it made people inaccessible for a period and it was less communal. A bit awkward, even. The donators only meets were hype, and if everyone could just jump on against Armada and Lucky the whole time and ask questions whenever it would be better. I chilled with Armada and Lucky outside of the tournament/meet and in terms of learning it happened at those points.
I disagree with this. They only have a finite amount of time to play with people while they're here and guaranteeing some of that time to people who paid to get them here makes sense. Otherwise someone could donate money and not even get to play with the internationals because other people are hogging the setup.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
All the people who paid over $150 were all actually communicated to so that no sniping would actually happen since I knew that may be an issue jkts. While I do want to promote people paying more I also don't want people to get stooged as you mentioned jkts, it's a balance I plan to maintain this year as well.

what do you mean by alternative vote though?

as for meets I'll try to strike a balance between shared time and or individual time or coaching time so that there's everything this time in a good balance.

Splice

Smash Hero
@ JKTS JKTS : I don't like the idea of limiting others from being able to play against the internationals though, the whole thing felt a bit awkward to me. If there was a donators meet, you'd still have more opportunity than other people to get that practice session in and they are approachable people, you could approach them and ask them about the game throughout the tournament and the time they are down here. This is more natural .For me something ain't right about the "I paid for a half hour sesh" approach

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom