• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I just love Bill Simmons. His articles are too good. Mainly due to how many random terminologies/awards/references he'll invent.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
LeBron James EC player of the month again. He just might win his 4th MVP award in 5 years. Sometimes even I forget how good this guy is.

James, a three-time Player of the Week honoree this season, averaged 27.5 points, 8.1 rebounds, 7.5 assists and 2.00 steals in December while shooting 55.5 percent from the field and 40 percent from three-point range.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I don't see anyone outside of LBJ, KD, or CP3 winning MVP this year unless if the Knicks really go on a tear and Melo gets the "feel good story" going for him like Rose did.

But the fact that it's even a strong possibility at this point is pretty incredible.

Landry

Smash Ace
The Lakers are pretty funny this year. Kobe has reverted to his old self.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Except he's shooting at a much more respectable clip. Can't really argue with that. Their defense is a piece of **** though.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The alarming thing is that their schedule hasn't been too bad so far either. Just look at their schedule this month... They're in trouble.

How long until we start wondering if they'll even make the playoffs? But even if they do squeak in as a 7-8 seed do they have what it takes to take out the Thunder/Clipper/Spurs?

Also I'm very surprised Houston has been doing so well. Harden made me eat my words.

Jane

Smash Hero
How long until we start wondering if they'll even make the playoffs? But even if they do squeak in as a 7-8 seed do they have what it takes to take out the Thunder/Clipper/Spurs?
right about nowish. and no, no they don't.

also, apparently javale has asthma and thats why he gets such limited minutes. its a shame really since he's a very efficient player overall.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Nash has been back for roughly two weeks, so I'll give it another two weeks before calling it quits. With that being said, the Lakers have been in EVERY game, good or bad teams. Clippers, Warriors, 76ers, Bobcats, Knicks, Denver. All that tells me is that they are putting up the points they need, but can't get stops on the defensive end (which is what ends up happening). So even though their bench is garbage, it's really coming down to defense and whether or not they can get stops.

Sure you can always get better offensively. Pau needs to get the ball more in the post + Meeks needs to come out of his slump. But I'm not really interested in the team scoring 115 ppg as much as I am holding the opposing team under 100.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm not even sure if they'll ever play good defense consistently this season...

Nash is old and can't keep anyone in front of him anymore. According to Lakers fans Kobe has been declining defensively. Artest has lost a step. Pau is softer than wet tissue paper these days. Dwight is still injured.

Where will they get defense from when they really need it? Dwight can't fix everything.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Kobe can't fix everything, but I really think it's the Achilles heel of the Lakers going back to when they got swept by the Mavs. They don't run back on defense. I mean, when they are set, they are at least respectable. Whether it's Dwight missing a hook shot or Kobe a jumper, the other team is always off to the races, and end up getting an open shot.

Thing is, teams like Boston, Dallas, and San Antonio have shown you don't have to be young to get back in transition.

If I were coach, I'd go old school. Run suicides after every loss until you're barfing.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Reportedly a torn Labrum.

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan
Dwight Howard has torn labrum in his right shoulder, is out at least a week. Pau Gasol has a concussion, is out at least two games. #Lakers

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/stat ... 9453446144
Lakers upcoming schedule:
@Hou
@SA
vs OKC
vs CLE
vs MKE
vs MIA

This might be the nail in the coffin...

EDIT: I had no idea so many people hated the Lakers. People are reacting to this news as if their team just won the championship. o.0

Landry

Smash Ace
What do you guys think of the Knicks this year? They've been one of them most fun teams to watch, imo.

Landry

Smash Ace
Well, yeah. But not being better than Miami doesn't really make you a bad team. Pretty much everyone is would lose to Miami in the playoffs.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Kevin Love has broken his hand yet again, which means he's out another 8-10 weeks. Frick! I went to the game last night against the Hawks, and Minnesota somehow won despite Adelman being gone (personal reasons) and the usual slew of injuries. Then again, the Hawks are kind of slumping right now. Anyways, it's frustrating, but I'm almost immune to the disappointment by now. As long as the Timberwolves remain at or above 0.500 for the foreseeable future I'll be happy.

A past me would have blamed Mike D'Antoni for the Lakers' struggles (he's a no-defense coach, the Lakers can't play his style, etc.) but at this point I really don't know - it's just bizarre to watch them lose like this.

Also, I don't like the Celtics or Bulls, but it's fun watching them claw their way up the standings like this.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
Major props to the Lakers tonight. Earl Clark out of nowhere! Guy needs more minutes.

I hate how my Spurs had a meltdown in the 4th quarter. Pop's going to give them hell for slacking off with the big lead early on.

Also, it seems to me that the Lakers bench plays with more heart than Dwight and Gasol combined.

strawhats

Smash Master
Lakers better get their **** together man...they're in trouble looking at their schedule.

lets go knicks...hope they can still get a win against the surging pacers. Gonna be tough gane tonight with melo suspended

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yep...he sure went ape.

I just realized that if the playoffs started today, and if Miami was in the West, they would be the 5th seed...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I dunno why, but all I took away from the 4th quarter of the Laker/Heat game was that so many blatant travels were not called lol.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Our fantasy league is so dead lol. Just picked up Eric Gordon and dropped Mo Williams.
I saw the fantasy league that was posted and thought about joining, but I knew I would get too busy for it and didn't want to hoard players others would want. I was in an MLB league last summer and only made 3 moves the whole time. Ended up finishing dead last obviously, even with the fact I had Felix Hernandez, who had a perfect game in August.

Top Bottom