• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've given up on the Lakers. Gonna just root for another team this season...

Let's go with the Warriors. I like the Pacers too.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Halfway into the season... I'm calling it now: Heat vs. Thunder NBA Finals rematch.

Kevin Durant wins MVP.

NBA Finals goes 7 games... Both teams with an equal chance to win. Heat barely squeak out the win and repeat.

Perkins cries.

Top 5 teams as of now
1) Thunder
2) Clippers
3) Heat
4) Spurs
5) Grizzlies

Knicks have dropped off just as how I predicted despite the fact that I was seen as a "hater." I didn't have them as a top 5 team then and I don't now. GG Knicks fans. ;)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Their recent trade was questionable and have definitely dropped out of my top 5 as of now.

In the meantime the Heat are currently losing to the Raptors after having a 5 day break. The Heat ALWAYS play terrible after a long break... It's mind boggling.

Jane

Smash Hero
so im sitting here reading my chemistry textbook when suddenly, it hits me: "what if i accidentally unsubscribed myself from the basketball thread? maybe it didnt mysteriously die after all..."

lo and behold, it was true. looks like i didnt miss too much though.

anyone else catch javale's backboard-pass-alleyoop to himself? i dont even remember who they were playing, i just caught it on SC last night.

also, as much as i want to clips to battle the heat, its looking like okc don't give a damn about no 2 seed in the west. so unfortunately, thunder heat rematch. hopefully the thunder come correct this time.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
I'm basically throwing away any hopes for my Timberwolves this season, so... sigh. But I'm very excited about a couple teams' potential, like the Clippers and Warriors. I would love the Warriors to break through to the WCF. Not that it's going to happen, but still.

Jane

Smash Hero
much prefer the current colors but thats beside the point -- these new logos are cool.

also, i see u xsyven

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So I live in this world where Smush Parker and Kwame Brown made it to the playoffs with Kobe. But Steve Nash and Dwight Howard couldn't.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It's all about how well the pieces fit... Total lack of chemistry, youth, good health, and having a stubborn coach with a gimmicky system will make those pieces a little hard to fit. XD

I'm not even sure what the Lakers should do at this point. Even if they do manage to make the playoffs it's not like they're gonna do anything. They get no good draft pick since they traded it to PHX. Nash and Kobe aren't getting any younger. It's a really awkward situation.

I'm happy as hell all of this is happening to Dwight though. He's such a diva and he deserves all of this for that stunt he pulled in ORL.

Oh and I like the Pelican's new logo.

On another note everyone's been complaining about All Star snubs and whatnot but I don't even care tbh... It's nothing but a popularity contest.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Technically, if the Lakers made the playoffs, I'd give them a shot. To get in the playoffs, they'd have to play .75 ball essentially to grab the 7th or 8th seed. But yeah, not gonna happen.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Technically, if the Lakers made the playoffs, I'd give them a shot. To get in the playoffs, they'd have to play .75 ball essentially to grab the 7th or 8th seed. But yeah, not gonna happen.
The question right now is CAN they even make it?

I actually have not doubt that they'll fight harder in the post season than how they've been performing during the season.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The question right now is CAN they even make it?

I actually have not doubt that they'll fight harder in the post season than how they've been performing during the season.
But even if they do barely scrape out an 8 seed do you really see them beating the Thunder?

Not a knock against the Lakers but the Thunder are just on another level right now. The Lakers would need a 7th seed at least.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
brook lopez didn't make the all star game.......

as a knicks fan, this even brings tears to my eyes

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Halfway into the season... I'm calling it now: Heat vs. Thunder NBA Finals rematch.

Kevin Durant wins MVP.

NBA Finals goes 7 games... Both teams with an equal chance to win. Heat barely squeak out the win and repeat.

Perkins cries.

Top 5 teams as of now
1) Thunder
2) Clippers
3) Heat
4) Spurs
5) Grizzlies

Knicks have dropped off just as how I predicted despite the fact that I was seen as a "hater." I didn't have them as a top 5 team then and I don't now. GG Knicks fans. ;)
Dont count the knicks out, they are missing their PG, which is a big deal.

:phone:

iankobe

Smash Lord
But even if they do barely scrape out an 8 seed do you really see them beating the Thunder?

Not a knock against the Lakers but the Thunder are just on another level right now. The Lakers would need a 7th seed at least.

Well. IF the Lakers get the 8th seed then they won't stand a chance at all. Thunder-Lakers is just a matchup for the Lakers. I'd say 4-1.

The Knicks are no joke. I honestly think this year's dark horses are the Clippers and the Knicks. A Knicks-Clippers Final would be epic IMO

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

I'm not counting them out I was just making my point that they aren't nearly as good as their early season record indicated (with or without Felton).

Nets and Pacers have been playing better basketball as of late. Plus the Bulls are still kicking *** without Rose. As a Heat fan I don't see the Knicks as anymore of a threat than the aforementioned 3 especially if Rose gets back soon.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Lol I saw that during the Heat stream. Yeah the dude made a half court shot and won something like $75,000. The arena went nuts.

Lets lay off the Lakers for a bit... WTF Celtics? Blowing a 27 point lead to Atlanta? 6 game losing streak with Miami coming up on Sunday? This team is beyond screwed if they don't turn things around soon. They wouldn't even be in the playoff picture if the 76'ers had Bynum back.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I consider myself good in basketball, but playing against some D2 players left me embarrassed. Don't know how many times I was left standing while they ended up throwing alley oops and dunks.

Plus it felt like they were hitting every single shot.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Key to beating the Heat: Lose your star player. First they lose to the Melo-less Knicks, then they nearly lose to the Spurs without Duncan and company, and now this. But they look like world beaters against teams like the Lakers and Thunder. What a weird team man. lol

That really sucks for the C's though... Does this mark the end for the KG/PP era?

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
Key to beating the Heat: Lose your star player. First they lose to the Melo-less Knicks, then they nearly lose to the Spurs without Duncan and company, and now this. But they look like world beaters against teams like the Lakers and Thunder. What a weird team man. lol

That really sucks for the C's though... Does this mark the end for the KG/PP era?

This guys godlike

tko112

Smash Lord

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Yup gonna be hella weird to see Prince in a Grizzlies jersey.

I'm interested in how Memphis will look now though.

Rudy Gay is a complete non-factor to me. Could care less about him and the Raptors... I guess now the Raps can make a push for the 9th seed? lol

Oh and this now officially ends the Bad Boys Pistons era... Big Ben, Sheed, Prince, Rip Hamilton, and Billups. Last team that won a championship without a true superstar player. That team was god-like.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
the prince of the palace is gone =(
No! The last player of the 2004 Pistons has been traded. Good luck to Tayshawn Prince in Memphis. I'll never forget his block on Reggie Miller during Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals during that championship run.

It's not like Detroit was going anywhere anyways this season. Hopefully that salary free up will get them a star or two, but ehh........the Pistons are going to be at the bottom of the league for a long time it seems.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Just felt like posting my thoughts about Phoenix's triumph over LA last night, hence my friend stole the words out of my mouth from Facebook:

"With this win, Phoenix ended the Lakers season. Fitting that Nash's first season in LA ends where his last journey ended."

Jane

Smash Hero
i mean, theyre not done yet in the sense that, yeah, its still within the realm of reality for them to rally a comeback post-allstar break.

but, when you think about it in terms of statistics, if you were to bet money against the lakers making the playoffs, the odds would be healthily in your favor.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
but, when you think about it in terms of statistics, if you were to bet money against the lakers making the playoffs, the odds would be healthily in your favor.
Couldn't have been said any better by anyone else. Not to mention, it's gonna be sad if this is Nash's last season (which I don't really think it'll be).

strawhats

Smash Master
Can't believe Tayshawn Prince left the Palace. The last member of the Fab 5/Bad boys of Dtown is now gone.

Top Bottom