• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I don't think you're understanding my overall point... You just can't judge if a team is championship material or not 1/4 into the regular season especially if said team is unproven in the playoffs.

I keep repeating over and over that if the Knicks can consistently play this well throughout the season THEN we can talk about championship contenders. Until then they still have a lot they need to prove.
No i understood just fine

i am saying this team has the poise and the system to be a major playoff contender

not many teams are named a championship contender till later in the season
but playoffs is fair to say

the teams you keep on throwing in such as the 76rs and the bulls

are not going to get much better for very clear reasons some of which i mentioned in my last posts

injuries aside the system they have is a system that can work long term

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
the teams you keep on throwing in such as the 76rs and the bulls

are not going to get much better for very clear reasons some of which i mentioned in my last posts
I'm very interested in understanding how you know this considering Bynum hasn't played a single game for the 76'ers. You have no idea what kind of impact he could have. You also don't know how he'll play coming off of his injury.

In terms of the Bulls IF (emphasis on if) Rose comes back healthy he makes the Bulls twice as good as they are now. That's a no-brainer.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
I'm very interested in understanding how you know this considering Bynum hasn't played a single game for the 76'ers. You have no idea what kind of impact he could have. You also don't know how he'll play coming off of his injury.

In terms of the Bulls IF (emphasis on if) Rose comes back healthy he makes the Bulls twice as good as they are now. That's a no-brainer.
it has been stated in interviews
his knees have severe pain and he has stated its almost perpetual

there are questions about his leadership which the 76rs lack
him need to rehab better on it

all this before he gets back if he gets back this season at all

and rose coming back is good but they still dont have a significant offensive weapon other then him
plus coming back with a acl is a different kind of beast
it will take a while and his game is gonna change for while before he feels like himself

you run into the same problems you had in 2011

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This argument keeps going in circles so I'm kinda over it.

ANYWAYS, let the record show that I am the first person to finally give Achoomattchu a loss in our fantasy league. My fantasy team also has not lost since week one. Team Psychomidgets 2 gud.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
Nash forever injured, then Brook Lopez and Gasol out like all last week. Not taking the win away from you, though. heh

Good to see most everyone updating their lineups still. My other league is already dead.

Popovich tonight: Our bench got us into this mess, I'm going to leave them in the entire 2nd half to get us out. Ibaka went nuts on us.

Linguini

Smash Master
I'll reserve all criticism until nash is back and they've played a few games, but after that no johns will be valid.
They almost got bodied by the BOBCATS tonight lmao.

Sad to see the twolves get beat down by the heat, but that's the one team I don't mind them losing to ;)

Jane

Smash Hero
that article made me wonder: who are your guys' favorite players? you can include retired players but for me it'll be only current ones.

for me its steve nash, CP3, and (seriously) javale mcgee. there are A LOT of other players that i love, and hold in very high esteem, but those three are my top. i'm also getting a huge sports boner over damian lillard.

what about yall?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Saw this on a friend's Facebook and laughed at most of the selections.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2012/12/01/15-nba-players-who-could-beat-lebron-james-1-on-1/
I stopped reading at James Harden. LeBron would body Harden.

If I had to name my current favorite 5 (non-Heat) players it would probably look something like this...

- Rose (love the way he plays and his passion for the game... reminds me of what Wade used to play like in his athletic prime)
- Durant (will eventually go down as one of the GOAT scorers... love the subtle rivalry between him and LBJ)
- Irving (this kid is the real deal)
- Griffin (dem posterizers)
- Westbrook (love the energy this guy brings night in and night out regardless of how he's performing. when he's not playing well he's detrimental but when he's on he's easily a top 5 scoring threat)

Looking at my list I guess I'm not very original lol. I guess I just like young, flashy players. *shrugs* Honorable mention would go to CP3.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
I'm assuming this is favorite players to watch, and if so:

All-Time/Retired Top 5
~ Michael Jordan - No brainer.
~ Hakeem Olajuwan - Watching him in the post was a blessing every time.
~ Gary Payton - Probably my all-time favorite PG. Loved seeing him jawing on other players while smothering them on defense.
~ Dennis Rodman - The most dominating nutcase ever to play the game.
~ That early 2000's Kings team - Bibby, Peja, Vlade, CWebb, Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson; they were so much fun to watch, painful to see get robbed in the playoffs.

Honorable mention to David Robinson because I'm a Spurs homer.

Current Top 5
~ Tim Duncan - Soon to be all-time/retired. Still doing work, and looking mad vintage this year.
~ Kobe Bryant - I dislike the Lakers, but he's my 2nd most respected player.
~ Carmelo Anthony - I hope he keeps playing this way for the rest his career.
~ Ricky Rubio - The second coming of Jason Kidd/Steve Nash. Hopefully he fixes his shooting touch.
~ Toss up between Durant and LeBron - I agree with TRG that KD will be a GOAT scorer; LeBron is the best overall player in the NBA right now.

Jane

Smash Hero
seriously lol. i love his goofy, unique style, its a joy to watch him play. i see incredible potential in him as a center in this league, and i think he will realize it. i also love his off-the-court antics and his general demeanor.

soap

Smash Hero
I stopped reading at James Harden. LeBron would body Harden.

If I had to name my current favorite 5 (non-Heat) players it would probably look something like this...

- Rose (love the way he plays and his passion for the game... reminds me of what Wade used to play like in his athletic prime)
- Durant (will eventually go down as one of the GOAT scorers... love the subtle rivalry between him and LBJ)
- Irving (this kid is the real deal)
- Griffin (dem posterizers)
- Westbrook (love the energy this guy brings night in and night out regardless of how he's performing. when he's not playing well he's detrimental but when he's on he's easily a top 5 scoring threat)

Looking at my list I guess I'm not very original lol. I guess I just like young, flashy players. *shrugs* Honorable mention would go to CP3.
ya I'm kinda the same way. But I don't really care to watch Griffin play. I just catch his highlights on sportscenter.

1. I'm from Cleveland and Kyrie is the only thing that makes the Cavs watchable.

2. D-Rose was just nuts to watch a couple years ago. I hope he comes back and learns to pace himself.

3. I was a big Delonte West fan. Great defender, nice lil southpaw J, and he is just funny as hell. I was hoping the Lakers would pick him up.

4. Kevin Durant. Boy is just a clinic.

5. Dwayne Wade - He's losing some steps, but I love his style of splitting defenders and just gliding into the paint. Reminds me of Dr. J

Kanbem

Smash Rookie
Time for all star predictions? No?
I'm only doing starters. Do what you want

East Starters (predicting based on voters, not skill):
PG-Rajon Rondo
SG-Dwayne Wade
SF-Lebron James
PF-Josh Smith
C-Chris Bosh

West Starters:
PG-CP3
SG-Black Mamba
SF-KD
PF-Blake Griffin
C-Dwight Howard

:phone:

Linguini

Smash Master
I'm a huge rubio fanboy lmao, reminds me of shizwiz in smash.

jane I agree mcgee is freakish in his athleticism but he has looong ways to go until he is a reliable and effective player, i'd say well after his stint in denver is done. I personally hate george karl as a coach, maybe i'm biased because I detest the nuggets but his style of coaching is super one dimensional to me.

and he looks kinda looks like an old *** doll, on some chuckie **** looool

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Really hard for me to list anyone in my top 5 that I didn't watch growing up...

1. Kobe: I'm a Laker fan, but I've always enjoyed his mentality of going for the kill and working on his game non-stop. It's something I've tried putting into my life outside of basketball (school).

2. Derek Rose: Humble, soft spoken, always trying to shoulder the load and being accountable. How can you not nod your head to him and respect that? The NBA needs him, and I hope he comes back 100%.

3. Kevin Durant: Humble beginnings, humbleness all the way, you can't really hate the guy. Same time, he's starting to demonstrate more often a killer instinct. Now if only he would take some of WB's shots away.

4. Tim Duncan: Old school, ignores the limelight, team loyalty, and overall a classy guy. He gets the job done, and at the same times comes off as a guy that would be pretty easy to hang out with.

5. Derek Fisher: Clutch. Well spoken. Morally guided. Everything from his early days in LA, to his stint in Utah, and then back to LA just shows maturity and leadership. Give me a guy like Fisher any day of the week.

Jem.

Smash Master
I can't forsee the Thunder winning the NBA Finals until Westbrook stops jacking up shots that should be Durant's. He gets this look in his eyes like he wants to be considered more important than Durant.. And that look usually comes at the worst times. My current prediction is that the Thunder would lose to the Heat in a Finals rematch.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I forgot how good the T-Wolves are when healthy... Just snapped the Thunder's winning streak.

That team could do some serious damage if they could actually stay healthy for once.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just beat Michael Irvin's team in a full court pick up game. Dude complains and calls way too many fouls, while he's the one throwing down people on rebounds lmao.

:phone:

Jane

Smash Hero
i think theyre a definite possibility, but i dont think it'll happen. i think it'll be... dare i say it...

clippers vs knicks.

nothing would make me happier.

actually, disregard what i just said. i'm predicting okc nyk finals

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Still don't trust Vinny D as the Clipper's coach. He talks and seems like a smart guy, but I think he will be their downfall in the playoffs.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i think theyre a definite possibility, but i dont think it'll happen. i think it'll be... dare i say it...

clippers vs knicks.

nothing would make me happier.

actually, disregard what i just said. i'm predicting okc nyk finals
i think the world would end before that scenario would ever happen
people's heads would explode
it would definitely be a blast to watch (especially since it's not the lakers, the celtics, or the heat) but i don't think the world could handle such a scenario

prisonchild

Smash Ace
knicks are pretenders, they might make the ECF only because there isn't really anyone else in the east but i guarantee they wouldn't beat the heat in a series (and yes, i know what has happened in their two games so far this year).

Jane

Smash Hero
^lol

and soap, you kidding me? they have one of the most mentally tough players in the game leading them. mental fortitude isnt the problem, literally the only thing holding them back is like bored said, their shoddy coach.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Caron Butler, CP3, Billups, and Crawford are all guys that Clippers have they can use in crunch time. I am not too sure on Blake, DeAndre, or anyone else.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The Clippers are a good team but I do not see them beating the Spurs or the Thunder in a 7 game series. Not to mention they'd also have to get past some other tough 2nd tier teams like Memphis and (MAYBE) the Lakers.

I think WCF is their ceiling.

Man the West is really gonna be a dogfight this season I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

The East as of now is just Miami/NY, and a bunch of Tito Jacksons as Charles would say. XD

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
something bout the clippers just rubs me the wrong way
they are eh...
something about chris paul too
good player but just a thought that he is missing something
maybe he can be the answer but idk i think if he wins a championship it wont be with that team.

blake griffin should be better then what he is i think chris paul has inhibited his progress
d jordans a flash in a pan type of player

i see a bunch of pieces with a guy whos as a leader...somewhaat

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Wow Chicago actually beat NY tonight...

Like I have been saying multiple times I'm not ready to crown the Knicks until other teams start playing to their real potential. The Bulls can still be a top 3-4 team in the East depending on Rose's health.

There's still a looooot of basketball to be played.

Top Bottom