• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Ibaka needs to develop some sort of low post scoring game to help boost his efficiency. He's one beastly shot blocker though. One of the few guys that I've seen able to block a LBJ layup when he's near full speed.

EDIT: Rachel Nichols ‏@Rachel__Nichols
LeBron James on tonight: "As spectacular as KD wants to be, I'm going to be the same, put my team on my shoulders to make spectacular plays"

LBJ is starting to get a little chatty... Dunno if I like that. We'll see if he can back his words up.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Harden played 30 mpg this year, which means he spent plenty of time against starters.
Well, yeah, no one ever said he didn't. But he obviously saw more minutes against bench players than other players of his caliber.

I wouldn't offer Ibaka max. He really hasn't shown me that much from last year to this year.
He led the NBA in blocks. He shot four percent better from 16-23 feet. He dramatically cut his foul rate. He did all of this despite being yanked around by Scott Brooks. It is fine if you do not want to offer him the max, but the rationale you listed in that post doesn't cut it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
He led the NBA in blocks. He shot four percent better from 16-23 feet. He dramatically cut his foul rate. He did all of this despite being yanked around by Scott Brooks. It is fine if you do not want to offer him the max, but the rationale you listed in that post doesn't cut it.
Yeah, but MAX also means you're offering him franchise money, unless you meant "max" as in years. He's a great team defender, but his one on one defense in the post is still suspect. He can hit the open J when given it, but he still has to show me more.

If I had to assign a number, I'd say he's a 6-8 million per year player.

Also, finally Harden did something. This guy has been freaking worthless in the series. The team probably has a -20000 when he's on the court.

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman
he didnt just lead in blocks...he was #1 with 241 blocks.

impressive considering #2 was deandre jordan with 135 blocks.

241 in 66 games puts him in the top25 seasons for a shot blocker. assuming the same pace of course.

nah he's worth a minimum 10 mil especially because big men get paid a premium. he'd probably get closer to 12-15 mil.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
With the salary cap being 58 million, I would not invest 12 million in 15 mil in Ibaka. I would rather pay Harden that amount over him.

Yeah, but all of us should know that blocks can be overrated. His overall team defense is solid, but his one on one defense still needs a lot of work. When Tim Duncan is making spin moves and leaving you in the dust, it shows me he's still a bit green in that area.

And his offense like I said still raw.

Blocking is good and all, but that's all due to his supreme athleticism. Offer him a max contract, and that part wanes in the latter end of the contract.

Edit: Magic is so hypocritical. He was hating on WB so much, because he wasn't playing within the offense. He isn't exactly doing that either, the only difference is he's hitting jump shots.

OKC Adjustments:

1. Don't double LBJ so hard in the post.
2. Will the real Harden please stand up?
3. Get back to running.

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman
i think the difference is in the last game there were other options to go to when he was taking shots. today the offense looks a lot more stagnant, so his shots are warranted

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Btw, I hate when players go down and pretend to be injured. They just waste a team's timeout. Can't count how many times Wade has done that. That back injury was just another classic flop. He should be fined for that ****.

Paul Pierce sends his best wishes. And a wheel chair.

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman
lol phantom foul. good block durant.

did you see that spinning fall away jumper from ibaka? people are sleeping on the guy's coordination. he's raw now, but give him one hakeem session and he's gonna be siiiick

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman
lmao battier is seriously like the "classy" version of metta world peace. he just blatantly slapped harden on the nose. very purposefully.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Harden pisses me off so much. He's clearly nervous, and it's sad that he's thinking/being so nervous while playing the game. That missed layup was so crucial. If Miami BARELY pulls this one out. That play man....

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Harden also happens to get everything done in his face. Guard LBJ? LBJ scores 10 straight. Guard Wade? Wade drills a 3 pointer in his face.

Btw, anyone find it funny how the Achievement Award given to Riley was presented by Rick Carlisle?

Wb with one free throw, when he's been going to the hoop entire game and getting contact? Good joke refs.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
OKC's inexperience man...last game, that thrown away pass. Tonight, WB derping.

Though assuming OKC goes on and loses this series. 70% of the blame goes on Harden. He is last year's LBJ.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, but MAX also means you're offering him franchise money, unless you meant "max" as in years.
We're talking a year from now. Also, your statement is a bit of a backtrack.

If I had to assign a number, I'd say he's a 6-8 million per year player.
Uh... :embarrass:

Blocking is good and all, but that's all due to his supreme athleticism. Offer him a max contract, and that part wanes in the latter end of the contract.
You are fond of nonsense. A maximum contract is four years. The shortened length is a major reason he is worth it. Ibaka would be 27 at the conclusion of the deal.

Here's another way to look at it: how many 22-year-old big men have been above-average starters in the NBA?

Credit to Zach Lowe, who called Chalmers' breakout:

I’m telling you: Don’t be surprised if Chalmers hits for 15 or more points in Game 4.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
man westbrook was the only one giving any fight
then he ruined it with that foul
its like he saw a ho-oh or some ****
how spaced you gotta be to do some **** like that
and harden looks lost like he playing lacrosse cause he sure doesnt look like hes playing basketball he gotta get his head up.

**** it next game give them all you got and just go this is a elimination game.

**** these refs too
maybe next game

theeboredone

Smash Legend
We're talking a year from now. Also, your statement is a bit of a backtrack.
Why do you always have to assume I'm backtracking? I was just seeking clarification on your end. Usually when you hear the term "max" contract, they are looking at both money and years.

You are fond of nonsense. A maximum contract is four years. The shortened length is a major reason he is worth it. Ibaka would be 27 at the conclusion of the deal.
I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't insult me. It's my mistake on my end, given I was still thinking about the terms before the new CBA.

Here's another way to look at it: how many 22-year-old big men have been above-average starters in the NBA?
Like I said, his defense is great when it comes to team defense, but he's no Dwight Howard when it comes to changing the game dramatically. Given his lack of English (communication), he hasn't become the "anchor" per say guys like Duncan, KG, or Dwight are. His one on one defense is still suspect, and he hasn't evolved enough as an offensive player to warrant a high amount of money.

Now let's say he does breakout next year, then sure, it shows me he's progressing on both ends of the floor. However, if his offense remains the same...then I'd be hesitant.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I follow that guy on twitter lol. I hate Chalmers though. He played well tonight, but dude flat out has a ***** face on him the entire time. Plus he's a well known flopper.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Mario Chalmers is admittedly pretty annoying. But I've found myself rooting for the Heat this time around. Go Heat! 1 win away!

Also, to all you people blaming these Thunder losses on the refs... give up the ghost. Yes, there have been questionable calls, and yes, I think they're slightly favoring the Heat, but Miami has simply outplayed OKC these last couple of games.

Anyway... yeah. Can't wait for Game 5!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You're right, the Heat do deserve credit. However, the fact that each game has been super tight, you don't think if the game was officiated fairly, then OKC wouldn't be up or the series would be tied?

I mean, WB's whole game tonight was going to the rim, yet he only gets two free throws. Wade flails around when he gets touched, and 50/50 he gets a foul called. Durant gets mugged on his game winning shot in game 2, and no foul? Game 3, Wade is in the same position and area, he barely gets touched and there's a foul?

And this is why I hope Stern and the committee come down hard on floppers next year. It will make the games that much easier for the refs to officiate.

To an extent, you can't blame the players. It's not like they put a couple of hundreds in the ref's pocket. It's just how they choose to officiate the game. Whether it's an order from Stern, or personal bets they have riding.

But yeah, Heat do deserve their dues. There are just quite a number of players I don't like on that team vs OKC. Only players I'm rooting for are Bosh, LBJ, Spo, and I guess Battier.

OKC's inexperience/choking is hurting them real bad though.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
maxing ibaka would be awful, not that they could afford it anyway. after watching lebron bang harden around in the post for 30 min, i'm more sympathetic to the idea that he is gassed

edit: westbrook should have taken a few more ft than he did, but his total was not egregiously low. yeah i know he only took 3 fts . he took lots of shots in the paint, but he took a lot of those pullups also. just scanning the shot chart i see ~20 shots taken outside the paint (bit fewer). i recall a couple of times where there was contact on his drives, but many times he blew by his man and flat out beat the heat to the rim so there was little opportunity to foul-- there's a reason he was hitting everything in the lane. it's b/c they were mostly clean looks from inside a couple feet

i don't even think ibaka is the thunder's best defender (thabo). some will say that's crazy but the on/off #'s for efg% allowed favor thabo (slightly) over ibaka. the overall defensive ratings strongly favor ibaka, though they are a bit misleading b/c thabo swaps time w/harden or fisher (weak defensively), while ibaka splits w/collison (good defender). also, sample size yada, yada but i think it's onto something. thabo can defend 3 positions, excels at both on ball d and help d, and maintains good defensive positioning. good at ball denial and also applies great pressure on ball handlers without getting burned. ibaka is great when the ball is being funneled to him or when he can chase/react. that's obv very valuable b/c protecting the rim matters loads, but he has lots of bad habits on d. he overhelps/ball watches so he gets caught out of position. thabo's best defensive skill is not as great as ibaka's shot blocking, but he is more well rounded. also think that (right now), collison is not much worse a defender, at least not in the halfcourt. more of a liability in transition, but against a set offense he is really annoying (i hate him) b/c he is always sliding in and taking charges and is often in position to contest

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
maxing ibaka would be awful
Hello lazy unsupported statement.

thabo can defend 3 positions, excels at both on ball d and help d, and maintains good defensive positioning.
Funneling to Ibaka is going to make Thabo that much more effective on defense. He also does not create as many turnovers as Ibaka.

Another commonly overlooked aspect of defense is being a good offensive player. The best defense is a set one. Ibaka's efficiency in scoring the ball helps the defense more than Sefolosha.

also think that (right now), collison is not much worse a defender, at least not in the halfcourt.
I wouldn't disagree.

It's pretty simple to me: right now Ibaka is an above-average offensive and defensive player. Given his age, athleticism and history, his potential is nothing short of stardom. His skills are in scarce supply. Then you toss in the fact that the maximum contract length has been shortened to four; that there is little to no attrition risk in handing such a contract to him (he has missed 9 games his whole career; health is a skill) and that a plethora of teams have money to spend, it would be an upset if he didn't get a max deal.

And going back a few pages re: Westbrook's trade value,

Westbrook is essentially Derrick Rose. The main difference between them is perception: basically, Rose's heinous, story-driven MVP trophy. Value-wise they have to be nearly identical. If I said Derrick Rose for Rondo, two No. 1s, and Avery Bradley, I don't think you would think that was an overpay from Boston's side.

Westbrook is worth a lot more than Rajon Rondo because he can get you 10-plus easy buckets a night, as he proved last night.

--

LeBron had 26 points, 12 assists and nine rebounds in the Miami Heat’s Game 4 victory Tuesday, plateaus Jordan never reached in an NBA Finals game. LeBron is the first player with those numbers in an NBA Finals game since Larry Bird in 1986.

LeBron is averaging 30.5 points, 9.7 rebounds and 5.3 assists per game this postseason. Jordan averaged at least 30 points per game in each of his last 12 postseasons, but he never averaged as many as eight rebounds per game in a postseason.

Jordan was certainly known for his scoring prowess, but he never scored at least 25 points in 14 straight games in a single postseason. LeBron has done that twice, in 2009 and his current streak. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, nobody else in NBA playoff history has done that even once.

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman
as far as maxing ibaka goes

i dont really know contract rules, but i dont want ibaka coming out of his contract in his prime

Rose is a better decision maker. he's more consistent. he doesnt derp as hard. the problem is he's extremely injury prone, and just tore his ACL. WB's durability, age, and size make him a better value moving forward imho.

i still think people are undervaluing Rondo. he looked like he found his shooting rhythm this post season. he's also a menace on the offensive boards, which i think are very valuable.

also, as far as westbrook not getting calls goes, the refs are pretty consistent with that. he's too out of control to really say anyone else made him stumble or caused his contact. he barrels into the lane too much. on the other side of things, its why guys like harden generally get to the line more. he's under control, gets similar contact, but his body language speaks to getting owned by fouls more. also, as a cherry on top he whips his hair back and forth every time theres a foul. the refs eat that **** up.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Hello lazy unsupported statement.
it's not really unsupported, i've made my a case against ibaka across a few posts now. very good but not a great defender. limited on offense, basically just a floor spacer. a valuable player no doubt, but not someone you want making 15+ imo. right now he plays around 3 other terrific players who allow him only to do the things he is good at. run the floor, defend the rim, hit open shots/finish easy baskets. ibaka currently having a narrow range of responsibilities isn't reason alone not to max him-- harden would also have to do more if he were "maxed", but i would be fine w/ maxing him. the difference i see b/t the two is that harden has the skillset to be more involved and his responsibilities are limited b/c of durant/rwb (one can argue he against maxing such a weak defender, and that def has merit). i don't think ibaka has the skillset to expand his role and generate the level of production needed to justify his contract. his role is dictated far more by his skills than it is by his teammates'. there's also the issue of whether he could sustain his defensive intensity if he actually had to expend some energy on offense. i chuckled when he said lebron can only play d for 2-3 min per game. besides being laughably wrong, it ignored how much energy lebron, and other high volume offensive players, expend playing offense. it's hard to find guys who can/will go hard on both ends. an example is rondo, whose defense has fallen off quite a bit. . .as his offensive role has increased. don't think this is a coincidence.

wrt offense helping defense-- i agree, they aren't distinct. losing a guy like harden would negatively affect the thunder's defense in some ways despite harden being a weak defender individually; however, the affect on d is a gain.(net overall will ofc be a loss b/c whoever replaces him is just a worse player). the #'s do not support ibaka being a better defender than thabo unless we are sorting by blocked shots. the guys who are generating baskets/scoring with volume are the ones helping the defense with their offense. while i do buy the idea that ibaka's offense helps the thunder defense more than thabo's offense, i still think thabo's defensive impact is more beneficial overall. ibaka is a better player than thabo despite (imo) being a weaker defensive player, b/c he's a lot better on offense. the reason i point out that i think ibaka is a worse defender despite being a better overall player is that it fits into why i think maxing him would be a big mistake. don't feel that his defensive impact is scarce enough to justify that kind of money and i think he is basically at his offensive ceiling

wrt rondo, not sure i believe that he is a respectable shooter yet. shot fine this year, but that's a volatile range and it's a small # of attempts*. concern i have with him when they retool the roster is that he is reluctant to shoot. he looks for someone to pass to even when he is 2 feet from the rim and trades good shoots in the paint for jumpers. prob not too big a deal with their team as constructed-- allen, pierce, kg are great jumpshooters, won't be easy to find three shooters, or offensive players period of that caliber. they'd do well to get one. i'm sure he'll adjust somewhat. also, there have are stories about rondo being a problem child (locker room thing with paul, getting kicked out of practices, beef w/doc etc), so i wonder how long he will last there (there were reports here that the celtics offered the woyas rondo for curry). if rondo can only sorta play nice on a very good/great team, how is he going to cope during a rebuilding process. esp when it's during his prime. don't think i'd want to put up w/him

*although now that i look at it that's 2 years in a row at this %. prob legit improvement. still, have to wonder whether it will hold once the band gets broken up. teams won't need to play off him the way they do now, esp w/pierce a year older

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman
i like curry a lot

i get the feeling people are really underrating ibaka's offensive potential, and how close he is to actually being a threat. hes so agile. he's obviously a good shooter. he's had some very nice offensive plays this series, including that turnaround fall away 15 footer to beat the shot clock yesterday.

yeah i really like ibaka.

to clarify as a fan i actually harden more, but i think ibaka would be the right move for the thunder if they had to choose between the two. i have a feeling theyll make it work between the two with less money though, a la san antonio.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That would just come down to the players and their loyalty. Some might go off, wanting more money, or wanting to be "the guy."

I can see Harden and Ibaka taking less than what they can get in the market, but that's a tough place to be put in first of all. Do you keep the core in tact if you guys don't win it all in the next few years? If you do win it, do you feel like you've done your job or do you want more?

Either way, Harden has to be so much better next year around assuming they make it to the Finals. I never expected him of all people to lose his nerves.

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman
hey its not over yet. idk why everyone is writing off the thunder already. lebron's been tired since game 2, and it actually hurt him physically last night. thats gotta come into play in game 5.

interesting First Take today with guest appearance by John Salley.

Salley says the best player to ever play is named Magic Johnson.

career 20/8/12 ast (nearly a 50% assist rate O_o) and a .60 TS%

jordan was a 33/6/6 with a .568 TS%

Thoughts?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Magic was a horrible defender though, and possibly had one of the biggest choke jobs ever in the Finals. He did carry the nickname "Tragic Magic" for a reason after derping in two games against the Celtics. And I know Kareem was not in his prime anymore, but I believe it was Magic himself that said when it was crunch time, the ball would go to Kareem first. Does help to have arguably a top 2 post player on your team, and one of the best scorers as well.

He was 6'9, but had trouble guarding point guards. Yes he's known for playing all 5 positions, but his D against bigs wasn't so great either.

I think that's why people also compare LBJ to Magic. The only difference is that Magic has shown to be more willing to take shots down the stretch, and LBJ also happens to be a better versatile defender.

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman
over the course of his career though his good clutch play far outweighs the tragic johnson moniker, which lasted about a year. even if jordan himself were on his team, i can't think of a better option to go to than kareem's sky hook. why wouldnt it go to him? he was a passer anyway, but he could score when they needed him to. i think his clutch shooting percentage might actually be higher than jordans.

plus its not like jordan had no help either. he had 3 (4?) of the all time top 50 list on his team as well, and arguably the greatest coach running the best offensive system we've ever seen.

i'll buy the defense argument though. jordan was one of the best defenders ever, and magic was a bit of a liability.

bron has been pretty damn solid late game this year though. maybe not game winning shots, but game tying, go-ahead shots late in the game, and game-sealing shots...he's been pretty good.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
on offense, basically just a floor spacer.
Not true, as his at-the-rim percentage shows. Also shows great potential in pick-and-roll.

i don't think ibaka has the skillset to expand his role
We'll agree to disagree.

i chuckled when he said lebron can only play d for 2-3 min per game.
You should've done some more reading because it was clear that was due to a translation problem. He apologized vehemently for it the following day.

the #'s do not support ibaka being a better defender than thabo unless we are sorting by blocked shots.
Mind sharing? I highly doubt you have Synergy's post defense numbers considering they're behind a pay wall. If you do, please share them.

To me there are three main areas of defense:

- Paint protection/help defense, where we can suspect Ibaka is at least above-average. Well-above average? Elite? Unsure. Need more evidence.

- One-on-one post defense. This is where Synergy comes in.

- Pick-and-roll defense. May be average, below average or above average. Would like evidence.

the guys who are generating baskets/scoring with volume are the ones helping the defense with their offense.
Not necessarily. Long two-pointers lead to fast breaks.

You're also doing a great job ignoring Ibaka's enormous potential. Again, the max would be a year from now, so you should be projecting improvement from a year out. Apparently I am the only one who has been following Ibaka's career since day one.

i get the feeling people are really underrating ibaka's offensive potential, and how close he is to actually being a threat. hes so agile. he's obviously a good shooter. he's had some very nice offensive plays this series, including that turnaround fall away 15 footer to beat the shot clock yesterday.
Yep. People are ignoring just how rare it is for someone his age to come in and immediately be a league-average player (judged by PER). At age 22 he posted a near All-Star PER of 19. Go to basketball-reference and search how many seasons there have been of that. Littered with All-Stars. I wonder what you would find if you searched for players who, in their rookie year aged 20 or younger, were league average, and by their third year were borderline All-Star.

People are ignoring how massively he's improved through the course of his professional career. Every single year it's been gigantic improvement. He led the league in blocks this season and cut his foul rate without a training camp with the team. Ibaka clearly has star potential.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
I feel like Ibaka is doing everything Bosh's doing on the Heat + more. If he builds finesse on his pick n roll game, then I think he's a great fit then Harden. Harden does deserve more $$ on a different type of team, but Ibaka's skillset will be more utilized for the thunder, more so, than Harden's skillset. It's similar to Joe Johnson and the Suns, IMO.

Top Bottom