• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
LMAO that's too much... Imagine 4-5 guys doing that at once. >.<

Or even worse... Imagine a bunch of hot girls doing that. o.0 I'd airball both free throws.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Steve Nash has essentially said he's open to "everything." But he also said he's a bit old school and won't join a team that has knocked him out several times (Lakers.)

Nash to OKC? Slide WB to the 2 guard?

Nash to Mavs? Make him a back up to Deron Williams?

Something tells me he won't be going to the Heat or Knicks.

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman
so i heard ray allen and the heat have showed mutual interest in each other...

if nash goes to okc, i think WB should come off the bench with harden. i like thabo in there. WB is probably too "alpha" to come off the bench though.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
He wants to contend for a ring and there's no place better to do that than in Miami... What's wrong with that?

Ring chasers have been a part of the NBA for years.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It also shows you're a wuss in the competitive spirit of the game department. I get he's at the end of his career, and he wants one more ring. However, he would be most likely coming off the bench and I'd question if he'd play heavy minutes with the Heat when you have Wade as your 2. There are plenty of other competitive teams he could go too that would not be considered "blasphemous." OKC, Dallas, Chicago, Clippers are to name four.

Steve Nash stated it best...

"The truth is I'm a bit old school. For me, it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey. That's just the way it is," Nash said. "You play against them so many times in the playoffs, and I just use them as an example, and I have the utmost respect for them and their organization.

"I kind of have that tendency (to try to beat the best teams), so it is strange, but as a free agent you're free to go where you want, so I'd have to consider everything regardless of the past or the future."

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman
Clippers?

chauncey, nash, and cp3 would be the smartest backcourt ever

nash to the clippers...he'd get his lakers revenge too. that would seriously be amazing.

i'm also really hoping Jae Crowder or kevin murphy fall to the clippers in the second round of the draft. fingers are crossed

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It also shows you're a wuss in the competitive spirit of the game department. I get he's at the end of his career, and he wants one more ring. However, he would be most likely coming off the bench and I'd question if he'd play heavy minutes with the Heat when you have Wade as your 2. There are plenty of other competitive teams he could go too that would not be considered "blasphemous." OKC, Dallas, Chicago, Clippers are to name four.

Steve Nash stated it best...
I don't understand your reasoning here... It's okay for him to go to another contender like OKC or the Clippers but it's not okay for him to go to Miami?

I see absolutely nothing wrong with ring chasing when a player is in the twilight of their career. Most of the time they make a sacrifice by taking less money to compete for a ring... Sounds like they're pretty competitive to me. Would you call Shaq a wuss? Would you call the multiple players that took pay cuts to ring chase with the Lakers over NBA history wusses?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't understand your reasoning here... It's okay for him to go to another contender like OKC or the Clippers but it's not okay for him to go to Miami?
Did you read my post at all? "If you can't beat em, join em." In this case, Boston has lost to Miami twice, and now Ray Allen is thinking of jumping ship and going there? This would have been like if LBJ decided to go to Boston instead of Miami. Like Nash said, he can't imagine himself putting on a Laker jersey, because of how many battles they've had going back to 2006. That's the competitive nature I'm talking about.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with ring chasing when a player is in the twilight of their career. Most of the time they make a sacrifice by taking less money to compete for a ring... Sounds like they're pretty competitive to me.
So you're being competitive by taking less money, so you can have the easy way out. Yeah like I said, he's in the twilight of his career, but why does he have to go join the ENEMY?

Would you call Shaq a wuss? Would you call the multiple players that took pay cuts to ring chase with the Lakers over NBA history wusses?
Shaq was a wuss. The guy got traded from LA, with one of the big reasons being that he was constantly out of shape and didn't play up to his potential. That in itself is lack of competitive nature. He wanted the EASY way. You see his numbers when he got to Miami? No where near up to his potential. Remind me again what he did in the Finals in 06? The only time he got in shape was when he got to Phoenix. Outside of that, he was a lazy bum in Miami, Cleveland, and Boston where injuries and being overweight finally got to him.

And what players are you talking about going to LA? I swear to God if you bring up Malone and Payton like Numbers used too...

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Too lazy to quote and edit your post...

1. Since when were Boston and Miami considered these intense rivals all of the sudden? Yeah the 2 teams have met twice in the playoffs so far, but Allen has both stated and shown on multiple occasions that he has no ill feelings towards the Big 3 and the Heat. You can't label the Heat as "the enemy" when Allen himself doesn't even see Miami as "the enemy" lol. Plus it's not like he's unquestionably joining the Heat; it's just an option. In terms of options (serious contenders that could really use his services), there aren't going to be a whole lot of them next season. Out West you have the Thunder, Lakers ("the enemy"), Mavs (depends on what moves they make in the off-season), Spurs (already have plenty of sharpshooters), and the Clippers (Billups and CP3). Out East you have Miami and... a broken down Bulls team?

2. Read above post... You're putting too much emphasis on this idea of an "enemy" in general. Let's take a look at another upcoming free agent that could look at the Heat as an enemy since he has played against the Heat in the Finals twice, but doesn't: Jason Terry.

This is what he had to say about the Heat a while ago:
“(Team president) Pat Riley is a great guy and what he’s done with the organization is tremendous. “No question, they need a veteran shooter, a guy who can score besides LeBron (James) and (Dwyane Wade), and they know they can count on. I’m a guy that’s been in this league 13 years, (averaging) 15 points a night, easy. Off the bench or the starting lineup, it doesn’t matter. So I think I’d be an asset to them.”
Overall it's clear that many guys just don't share Nash's mindset anymore. I don't think that necessarily makes them cowards. I'd say it's more to do with a change in times and lack of true rivalries. Players just don't hate each other anymore like they used to and many of them are buddy buddy with each other.

3. And why exactly can't I bring up Malone and Payton? Well then how about John Salley (joined in 2000) who won his first two rings with the Detroit Pistons (a team that beat the Lakers in the Finals) and then hopped on the Lakers bandwagon later in his career to ring chase? Or how about Mitch Richmond (joined in 2002) who had 6 All-Star seasons with the Kings (an LA rival) and then went on to ring chase with them? Those are just recent examples... Ring chasing is everywhere.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Too lazy to quote and edit your post...

1. Since when were Boston and Miami considered these intense rivals all of the sudden? Yeah the 2 teams have met twice in the playoffs so far, but Allen has both stated and shown on multiple occasions that he has no ill feelings towards the Big 3 and the Heat. You can't label the Heat as "the enemy" when Allen himself doesn't even see Miami as "the enemy" lol. Plus it's not like he's unquestionably joining the Heat; it's just an option. In terms of options (serious contenders that could really use his services), there aren't going to be a whole lot of them next season. Out West you have the Thunder, Lakers ("the enemy"), Mavs (depends on what moves they make in the off-season), Spurs (already have plenty of sharpshooters), and the Clippers (Billups and CP3). Out East you have Miami and... a broken down Bulls team?
They've had about 6 encounters in the regular season, and a total of 12 playoff games against one another. On top of that, we've seen several skirmishes, injuries (Rondo), a guy going into their huddle (Rondo), and just a constant dislike for each other when on the court. You can count it as a rivalry or not. I'll go ahead and say it's not a rivalry, since I'm a firm believer of the fact that the other team has to win as well in the playoffs. However, it's no secret there's a strong disliking for one another, and I know a lot of "old school" players would not jump ship to join the team they keep losing too. I mean, how often do you see Ray Allen get upset and receive technicals?

Or you can count it as a rivalry, because Boston and Miami have played before LBJ got there. There were some skirmishes in that one as well.

2. Read above post... You're putting too much emphasis on this idea of an "enemy" in general. Let's take a look at another upcoming free agent that could look at the Heat as an enemy since he has played against the Heat in the Finals twice, but doesn't: Jason Terry.

This is what he had to say about the Heat a while ago:

Overall it's clear that many guys just don't share Nash's mindset anymore. I don't think that necessarily makes them cowards. I'd say it's more to do with a change in times and lack of true rivalries. Players just don't hate each other anymore like they used to and many of them are buddy buddy with each other.
Yes, and it's no secret that a lot of people including me lost respect for him after he said that.

3. And why exactly can't I bring up Malone and Payton?
Because there was no rivalry, let alone bitterness between them and the Lakers. Furthermore, neither had won a title and were on their last legs similar to Ray Allen. At least Allen has a title, and also why I didn't mind him being traded to Boston along with KG.

Well then how about John Salley (joined in 2000) who won his first two rings with the Detroit Pistons (a team that beat the Lakers in the Finals) and then hopped on the Lakers bandwagon later in his career to ring chase?
Salley was a joke. The guy was a total bandwagoner, joining the best teams when he had a chance. Blessed to be drafted on the Bad Boy Pistons. Then he gets traded, and first thing he does is try to get a buyout for his contract. What does he do next? Go to the Bulls and win a few rings with them. Then he "retires", comes back and joins the Lakers.

Or how about Mitch Richmond (joined in 2002) who had 6 All-Star seasons with the Kings (an LA rival) and then went on to ring chase with them? Those are just recent examples... Ring chasing is everywhere.
He wasn't part of the Kings when the rivalry started.

And yes, ring chasing is everywhere, but it also shows what kind of person you are. It's one thing to try it when you can't get anything done and you are close to the end of your prime, it's another to simply hop from place to place. It's a whole other thing when you decide to go to a team you should have no business affiliating with.

If Ray Allen thinks getting another ring, while getting 15 minutes of playing time is gonna validate his career even more, then he's not thinking straight.

Also, this is why people love Nash. He is loyal to his team, and doesn't believe in going to the best team via trade when he could have easily done so these last few years.

In other news:

Houston now has the 18th, 16th and 15th pick. Sources say they plan to acquire the 5th pick, and eventually trade all that + Kevin Martin for Dwight. Lowry will be used to get the 5th pick, and then they will also sign Deron.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I pretty much answered that in my previous post.

And yes, ring chasing is everywhere, but it also shows what kind of person you are. It's one thing to try it when you can't get anything done and you are close to the end of your prime, it's another to simply hop from place to place. It's a whole other thing when you decide to go to a team you should have no business affiliating with.

Jane

Smash Hero
honestly i'd rather see him in BK just for the sake of the east (read: the heat) needing competition. the west getting anthony davis was a blow enough.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not like the Hornets are gonna do anything with him anytime soon.

I'm not sold on Anthony. Then again, I'm rarely sold on any rookie in the NBA. Mostly cause I don't watch much college ball. Also, I feel like the transition is hard for most players.

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
Heat have comp, they just got lucky D.Rose got injured :troll:

And id love for Houston get Dwight since they are my favorite team but im sure he wants a ring and he wont get it in Houston unless maybe...they get Nash also? :troll:

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman
Well when teams look like they're poised to be a dynasty for the next few years, it makes sense to sort of plan specifically for that matchup if possible.

:phone:

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman
i read through it

apparently you have to be willing to be filmed because its going to be streamed

but youre allowed to wear a mask

im wondering what kind of masks are gonna show up. saw? spiderman? ski mask?
_____

in other news, steve nash is ****ing hilarious

http://youtu.be/Uo9rm3QmqRU

Jane

Smash Hero
after his awful performance in the finals, i dont blame the thunder for considering it. i would stick with him though. hes very young.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, it does sound dumb at first, but remember that they will most likely have to make a decision on him or Ibaka for the 2014-2015 season.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
IMO Harden is overrated and definitely not a max player. Yes he is a talented play maker and scorer (relies too much on foul calls however) but the dude is a complete defensive liability. Throughout the Finals the Heat kept running plays to get LeBron isolated with him and force a double team because there was no way Harden could stick with his man. On top of that he has a horrible mid-range game which was one of the main reasons as to why he couldn't get anything going against the Heat's defensive scheme which consists of constant trapping and clogging the paint. Take away Harden's ability to drive to the basket and he's nothing but a 3 point shooter.

If the Thunder really want to get better they need to focus on the defensive end. When you have 2 superstars in Kevin Durant and Russel Westbrook on the same team scoring is going to be your last issue. They need interior defense and Perkins is just not going to cut it the dude blows and it's pretty obvious that playing next to KG really made him look better than he actually is. Ibaka needs to work on his 1v1 defense. Durant really needs to work on rebounding and should focus on gaining some weight over the summer.

Top Bottom