• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
To think it's been over 2 months since the promised day. Our years of struggle is finally over. Most of the regulars, that used to frequent this thread, have moved on.

It's kinda sad in a way. Like when your favorite anime ends. It may end in the best possible way you can think of, but you're still a little bummed it's over.
I usually just lurk and see if any interesting news shows up. I got all my most wanted characters so I'm out of the speculation scene and there's not much to discuss (that hasn't already been discussed) until :ultbanjokazooie: arrive.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...rs-might-launch-on-playstation-and-switch-too

So this is interesting with respect to BK and the Switch:

>Traditionally when a platform acquires a studio, it buys the rights to publish every future game on its own console. But Xbox seem to be toying with leniency; in an interview with Game Informer, Xbox's first-party studios boss Matt Booty said that Microsoft-owned developers like Double Fine and Obsidian might still be able to create games for rival platforms in the future."

>He revealed Xbox would consider allowing studios to continue creating multiplatform games after being acquired, saying "I think that the question is less binary about, ‘should it be on Switch, should it be on PlayStation?’ and more, ‘does it make sense for the franchise?’
“In other words, is it a kind of game where it would benefit from the network effect of being on a bunch of different platforms, or is it a game where we can best support it by putting resources and making sure that our platforms, things like xCloud and Game Pass and Xbox Live, are really leaning in to support the game?"
I think we could have expected that, especially with how they handled Minecraft--they didn't make that exclusive to Xbox, but allowed it to be multiplatform. And with Cuphead coming to Switch, and Banjo & Kazooie guest starring in Smash, it only solidifies it.

I think they realize if they made a Banjo-Kazooie game, it would have to come to Switch--that's where the audience is, it's not with Xbox, and it's been fruitless keeping them console restricted because people aren't coming over to Xbox for the exclusivity. It's why it really irritates me when people complain about Xbox not having more exclusive games--I feel like that's the one area in which Microsoft can show good will, unlike Sony, allowing their properties to be experienced by more people outside of the Xbox ecosystem.

The only thing preventing Banjo-Kazooie from having a sequel, from what has been said, is simply trying to find a developer with a passion for the project. If they find one, or already have, then we'll probably see it. It's hard to argue, like Grant has, that it might not be profitable if it's also available on the Switch. It is a slight risk, but one that I think the resurgence of 90s platformers have proven there's an appetite for.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Honestly I think the Mario vs Rabbids guys could do it. The director, Davide Soliani has a huge fondness for Kirkhope's work which is why he was even brought onto the project, and he acted as the middleman between Nintendo and Kirkhope so he could be contracted to reprise his work for Smash. Plus, if he can weave gold out of the god damn Rabbids then I want to see him weave platinum out of gold.

I also wonder what else Microsoft would be willing to have appear on Switch. Sea of Thieves? They have cross-platform multiplayer and I'm sure they'd appreciate the player number boost.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I think we could have expected that, especially with how they handled Minecraft--they didn't make that exclusive to Xbox, but allowed it to be multiplatform. And with Cuphead coming to Switch, and Banjo & Kazooie guest starring in Smash, it only solidifies it.

I think they realize if they made a Banjo-Kazooie game, it would have to come to Switch--that's where the audience is, it's not with Xbox, and it's been fruitless keeping them console restricted because people aren't coming over to Xbox for the exclusivity. It's why it really irritates me when people complain about Xbox not having more exclusive games--I feel like that's the one area in which Microsoft can show good will, unlike Sony, allowing their properties to be experienced by more people outside of the Xbox ecosystem.

The only thing preventing Banjo-Kazooie from having a sequel, from what has been said, is simply trying to find a developer with a passion for the project. If they find one, or already have, then we'll probably see it. It's hard to argue, like Grant has, that it might not be profitable if it's also available on the Switch. It is a slight risk, but one that I think the resurgence of 90s platformers have proven there's an appetite for.
Though the toxic side will say that Banjo should stay on Xbox.

You're not thinking big enough, lad.

Starts with an H, ends with an O.
Starts with H, ends with O. Uh...Conker? No, that's stupid. Conker has a C and an R.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Banjo's gameplay presentation will be October 8th, with a release that day or the next.

A direct will be Sept 19th which will show character 4 who will release early December.

How do I know this? I don't. Just making things up as I go. But if I say it so matter-of-factly, perhaps the universe will believe it too.
Pretty solid prediction. It's pretty much the same as mine.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...rs-might-launch-on-playstation-and-switch-too

So this is interesting with respect to BK and the Switch:

>Traditionally when a platform acquires a studio, it buys the rights to publish every future game on its own console. But Xbox seem to be toying with leniency; in an interview with Game Informer, Xbox's first-party studios boss Matt Booty said that Microsoft-owned developers like Double Fine and Obsidian might still be able to create games for rival platforms in the future."

>He revealed Xbox would consider allowing studios to continue creating multiplatform games after being acquired, saying "I think that the question is less binary about, ‘should it be on Switch, should it be on PlayStation?’ and more, ‘does it make sense for the franchise?’
“In other words, is it a kind of game where it would benefit from the network effect of being on a bunch of different platforms, or is it a game where we can best support it by putting resources and making sure that our platforms, things like xCloud and Game Pass and Xbox Live, are really leaning in to support the game?"
I don't really understand Microsoft's strategy. If I was a console manufacturer I wouldn't risk potential hardware losses just for software profit (which I'd also have to split with Sony/Nintendo). It might be understandable when you're in a hopeless third place at the tail end of a console cycle and there's no other recourse (though even then I'd shift my big projects to the successor and aim to start with a bang like the Switch), but if you're actually keeping pace with your competitors, it's just going to weaken the incentive to pick up your hardware.

It's not like Netflix is going "sure Hulu, you can broadcast Stranger Things too".

I suppose the only exception is if you think your platform by itself would provide an insufficient audience for a game. But at that point, you'd generally just make a different game. Idk.

But as a consumer, that sounds great. There are a few Xbox games I'd grab, and it's along the same lines of how we got Banjo.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I don't really understand Microsoft's strategy. If I was a console manufacturer I wouldn't risk potential hardware losses just for software profit (which I'd also have to split with Sony/Nintendo). It might be understandable when you're in a hopeless third place at the tail end of a console cycle and there's no other recourse (though even then I'd shift my big projects to the successor and aim to start with a bang like the Switch), but if you're actually keeping pace with your competitors, it's just going to weaken the incentive to pick up your hardware.

It's not like Netflix is going "sure Hulu, you can broadcast Stranger Things too".

I suppose the only exception is if you think your platform by itself would provide an insufficient audience for a game. But at that point, you'd generally just make a different game. Idk.

But as a consumer, that sounds great. There are a few Xbox games I'd grab, and it's along the same lines of how we got Banjo.
Shhhhh, don't tell Microsoft, I want them to release as much as possible.

But in all seriousness, it doesn't make sense if you're thinking from a solely hardware perspective. Microsoft is shifting their priorities to becoming a platform that can reach as many people as possible, and my guess is when they crunched the numbers, it wouldn't have a meaningful negative impact on their hardware sales. The better analogy is Netflix going from only available on PC, to putting itself on Roku, phones, game systems (RIP Netflix Switch), etc. To them, the Xbox is just one product of a multi-pronged platform.

And it may very well be more profitable. A console sale is a one time payment--a subscription service is a monthly fee that can go on indefinitely. Multiply that by various tiers and platforms, and they'll probably make more money as a platform than what they would make sticking strictly to consoles and games for those consoles.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shhhhh, don't tell Microsoft, I want them to release as much as possible.

But in all seriousness, it doesn't make sense if you're thinking from a solely hardware perspective. Microsoft is shifting their priorities to becoming a platform that can reach as many people as possible, and my guess is when they crunched the numbers, it wouldn't have a meaningful negative impact on their hardware sales. The better analogy is Netflix going from only available on PC, to putting itself on Roku, phones, game systems (RIP Netflix Switch), etc. To them, the Xbox is just one product of a multi-pronged platform.

And it may very well be more profitable. A console sale is a one time payment--a subscription service is a monthly fee that can go on indefinitely. Multiply that by various tiers and platforms, and they'll probably make more money as a platform than what they would make sticking strictly to consoles and games for those consoles.
Adding to that, historically, Xbox brand sales in Japan have been like overall performance of the Virtual Boy; not so good. This is the best way to finally change that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yep, for years Microsoft has been seating on the goldmine that is Rare's IPs and now after seeing Banjo & Kazooie's extraordinary performance in the Smash Ballot, they might try to milk Rare's IPs to get closer to the Japanese market.

Obviously now that Banjo & Kazooie are in Smash, the best has yet too come.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Yep, for years Microsoft has been seating on the goldmine that is Rare's IPs and now after seeing Banjo & Kazooie's extraordinary performance in the Smash Ballot, they might try to milk Rare's IPs to get closer to the Japanese market.

I hope not too much. And they don't upset Nintendo by doing it either...

Then again, they will probably release said Rare IPs to Switch as well.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I don't think there's been that much of a dramatic shift. What is true is that characters who end up in Smash become more popular, which has led to more opportunities for those franchises. Add to that Nintendo's as well as Microsoft/Rare's surprise at how big the reaction was--previously they thought Banjo & Kazooie wasn't profitable, but they may try doing something now.

However, it would likely be baby steps. If they were to find a developer with a passion for the material, their newly invigorated popularity may convince Microsoft to take the risk associated with bringing back an IP. But they're going to want to see how it actually sells before committing to milking Banjo-Kazooie.

As for other Rare properties, we have seen them bring back Killer Instinct and Battletoads, and as was previously mentioned, they are aware of the goldmine, it's just probably difficult to find the right developer to take on the projects since Rare's not going to do it.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I don't think there's been that much of a dramatic shift. What is true is that characters who end up in Smash become more popular, which has led to more opportunities for those franchises. Add to that Nintendo's as well as Microsoft/Rare's surprise at how big the reaction was--previously they thought Banjo & Kazooie wasn't profitable, but they may try doing something now.

However, it would likely be baby steps. If they were to find a developer with a passion for the material, their newly invigorated popularity may convince Microsoft to take the risk associated with bringing back an IP. But they're going to want to see how it actually sells before committing to milking Banjo-Kazooie.

As for other Rare properties, we have seen them bring back Killer Instinct and Battletoads, and as was previously mentioned, they are aware of the goldmine, it's just probably difficult to find the right developer to take on the projects since Rare's not going to do it.
To be honest I think the reaction on social media to the E3 announcement alone is more than enough to have made Microsoft and Rare realize there is a very real market for Banjo-Kazooie. I think they knew people wanted the pair back but not that much. It’s the sort of massive visible and quantifiable reaction through social media engagement and YouTube views (which for better or worse heavily influences modern business) that makes things happen. If they haven’t already begun having conversations with developers it’s likely that they’re looking for one right now regardless of how well BK will end up selling (which I’m guessing will be quite a lot).

Deetchy

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7783 1634 4990
I usually just lurk and see if any interesting news shows up. I got all my most wanted characters so I'm out of the speculation scene and there's not much to discuss (that hasn't already been discussed) until :ultbanjokazooie: arrive.
This for me as well. I'll come here occasionally to stomp around and get mad that they're not here yet, but really I'll be way more active once they're actually out.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

I saw a video by uniquenameosaurus that actually posits an opposite business model: Imagining a world where there are no console exclusive games, but rather relying on your hardware being the best out of all your competitors that you WANT that console and their games, not that you have to have their console if you want to play their games. Got to say, I don't entirely disagree with that idea. I mean it'll never happen, but I wonder what the video game market place would look like if it did.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Nintendo games already tend to make use of the gimmicks they have on their system, so they'd essentially be forcing their competitors to either adopt their same weird gimmicks or in effect end up having "hardware only" games like they do now.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
To be honest I think the reaction on social media to the E3 announcement alone is more than enough to have made Microsoft and Rare realize there is a very real market for Banjo-Kazooie. I think they knew people wanted the pair back but not that much. It’s the sort of massive visible and quantifiable reaction through social media engagement and YouTube views (which for better or worse heavily influences modern business) that makes things happen. If they haven’t already begun having conversations with developers it’s likely that they’re looking for one right now regardless of how well BK will end up selling (which I’m guessing will be quite a lot).
While I do think they take some metrics of online engagement into account, what is quantifiable (e.g., views, retweets, etc), it's a small portion of their overall market research, which I bet has a lot more traditional means of gauging people's interests. It could be the case that in the past they didn't find a lot, but after Smash's announcement that silent majority could be seen. And perhaps in the past they were only looking at their target demographic, which doesn't line up with a platformer like Banjo-Kazooie, but now that they're friendly with Nintendo they could see if it would sell well on the Switch (which I say is a near certainty).

Update on Krazy's costume situation: https://twitter.com/M4L_Animationz/status/1160901081800617986

M4L has the right idea in this reply chain. Also, a bonus thing: https://twitter.com/KrazyBonesTV/status/1161378887097626625
Krazy is living up to his name, but I would not recommend or encourage him to actually go skydiving in a Banjo suit (Steve what are ya doin :rotfl:). The suit itself adds extra levels of complications with a stunt that is already very complicated--something I would only want done by a professional, like who they probably got for the actual commercial. Not to mention the huge undertaking of filming and everything--just too much for something for the lolz, and it's something I only see happening (safely) when there's a big budget, crew, and professionals collaborating. At first I thought it was just a joke, but if he's seriously considering it, I gotta say--I wouldn't recommend it. :lol:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think anyone can stop him. Besides, he's going to take skydiving lessons anyway, not even he would be that crazy not to do that, at least. And like he said, he needs proper equipment too. We don't know how much of the extra mile he's going for this, seeing as he's been able to afford a custom suit in the first place...

Just be praying he makes it out somehow.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

It will take some time, but the Rare renaissance is coming.

Seriously, August is flying by.
Hopefully September flys by too, but it always feels like the longest month of the year for me for some reason. This year's September will probably be longer since the bear and bird are coming to Smash just the month or two after.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Feels like Rare themselves have very little to do with the renaissance of their own IPs, oddly enough.

To think it's been over 2 months since the promised day. Our years of struggle is finally over. Most of the regulars, that used to frequent this thread, have moved on.

It's kinda sad in a way. Like when your favorite anime ends. It may end in the best possible way you can think of, but you're still a little bummed it's over.
It makes sense, there isn't that much to cover than what we already know about to be honest.

And that goes for some of the specific, playable character threads too.

Besides, outside of said threads, there is room for improvement in terms of quality content and relevance in the grand scheme of things.

Exhibit A: The Ultimate Social thread. What a dumpster fire that place can be.
Exhibit B: Lack of Pro involvement in recent times. Be great if there were more pro players involved in the site engaging with people, like back when Melee was in its prime.

Once the Banjo-Kazooie page is active on the Smash site and/or we hear more news about a showcase/release date of the bear and bird, that's when things will start cranking up again.

And you'd think it would be sooner rather than later.

Many have waited 15+ years, whats a few (hopefully) extra months ;)

These people included....that roar! One of my favourite reaction videos.

Warning, a minor amount of...colourful language.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
When you learn to sky dive don't you have a profesinal on your back ? just make them dress up like kazooie then LOL

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
When you learn to sky dive don't you have a profesinal on your back ? just make them dress up like kazooie then LOL
To be completely faithful, the instructor would then have to stay on the ground. Krazy doesn't open the parachute right away, instead looking behind him and asking "Kazooie?".

But then he would have to break character and open the parachute, because... you know.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Feels like Rare themselves have very little to do with the renaissance of their own IPs, oddly enough.
So true. Microsoft will definitely have other developers try to make Rare games instead of Rare themselves.

It makes sense, there isn't that much to cover than what we already know about to be honest.

And that goes for some of the specific, playable character threads too.

Besides, outside of said threads, there is room for improvement in terms of quality content and relevance in the grand scheme of things.

Exhibit A: The Ultimate Social thread. What a dumpster fire that place can be.
Exhibit B: Lack of Pro involvement in recent times. Be great if there were more pro players involved in the site engaging with people, like back when Melee was in its prime.

Once the Banjo-Kazooie page is active on the Smash site and/or we hear more news about a showcase/release date of the bear and bird, that's when things will start cranking up again.

And you'd think it would be sooner rather than later.

Many have waited 15+ years, whats a few (hopefully) extra months ;)

These people included....that roar! One of my favourite reaction videos.

Warning, a minor amount of...colourful language.
It's BKupa666 BKupa666 fliming the reactions. :chuckle:

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I am still in awe over our beloved Bear a bird are coming home. Even if it's just a visit, it means the world to people like us.
Also hello Banjoroos! Been awhile since I was in this neck of the woods. Are we feeling they will be released a week or so after the Amiibos in September hit shelves? I feel pretty confident we will see Banjo-Kazooie before October.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Indeed, though I was actually surprised with how closely Rare worked with Nintendo on their appearance. Gregg said they were working for months last year on them, and Rare said Paul Cunningham was instrumental in Banjo & Kazooie's Smash design. I had thought if it happened, Rare would easily give the okay, but let Sakurai/Nintendo handle the rest, taking a hands off approach--it's nice to see that they put a lot of time and effort into collaborating.

I don't care if it's September, or October (my bet), or even November--this year I'll be playing Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. I've been recalling what it was like before their announcement. I'd randomly start hearing Spiral Mountain in my head, fantasizing what it would be like to see the bear and bird in Smash--and then I'd tell myself to stop psyching myself up because I would inevitably get disappointed.

Those anxieties are completely gone now--I'm set for this speculation period and every other one afterwards. I got *my* character in Ultimate and always will.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Those anxieties are completely gone now--I'm set for this speculation period and every other one afterwards. I got *my* character in Ultimate and always will.
I'm pretty much satisfied with Ultimate with :ultkrool:, :ultridley:, and :ultbanjokazooie: all getting in as they all were in my top 5 wants for 17 to 18 years before their inclusion. There are other characters I would like to see in Smash, but honestly Goemon and Krystal are my only S rank wants left. If Sakurai ever adds them especially Goemon, I'll never ask Sakurai for anything ever again. I would retire from Smash speculation forever after those two.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's just settle down until we're well into September, shall we? Fall hasn't even started yet.

Historically, while I do wish there was a little more, I'm generally satisfied until next time when I get at least one character I've been wanting in each roster. Particularly helpful in this case, as I've gotten more than usual (and potentially even more should that WOL datamine pan out). I'm definitely more confident about us getting more Kongs, now that :ultkrool: is in, so that's one less thing to be concerned about. And my Metroid wishlist is practically complete, only Sylux is missing!

Although I don't think I'll keep the current form of my wishlist after this game's speculation ends, most of the icons don't work anymore and Pakky didn't get around to providing a link to the most convenient place to use them.

ze9

Smash Ace
Two months from now, we'll probably be playing as Banjo and Kazooie. Honestly, I'm kinda starting to feel the wait.

They could release in september, though? If they release in the beginning of october, the time between their announcement and their release would be almost as long as Joker's. But when Joker was announced he wasn't even in a showable state, while the bulk of the work on Banjo looked pretty much already done back in june, stage included. And with even new musical pieces mostly ready. We'll see.

I'm pretty much satisfied with Ultimate with :ultkrool:, :ultridley:, and :ultbanjokazooie: all getting in as they all were in my top 5 wants for 17 to 18 years before their inclusion. There are other characters I would like to see in Smash, but honestly Goemon and Krystal are my only S rank wants left. If Sakurai ever adds them especially Goemon, I'll never ask Sakurai for anything ever again. I would retire from Smash speculation forever after those two.
There's some characters I'd still like to see still (Dixie above all...), but not being satisfied with Ultimate is impossible. It has so much content, so many fan-favorites, every single aspect of the game is showered with love and, last but not least, it plays like a dream.
It restored my faith in the series and in Sakurai after the lackluster Smash 4. Especially this quote from Sakurai:
Having characters included in Smash Bros. is something that takes a lot of effort and support from a whole host of people, and it’s something that transcends profit or loss.
It's true. But I really couldn't picture him saying something like this during the Smash 4 days.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm all in on Ultimate now that Banjo & Kazooie are in--it completes my iconic mascot platformer wishlist with Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, and now Banjo & Kazooie. Only Crash could improve on that, but I'm satisfied with what I have. I can't imagine, if they decide to start on a sequel instead of more season passes, getting the next Smash game. I can only think of doing that if, and only if, Sonic, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, and Banjo & Kazooie return--which is no small feat given how difficult it was to get all of the third parties back. Ultimate has enough content to last me a lifetime no matter what direction they go.

Two months from now, we'll probably be playing as Banjo and Kazooie. Honestly, I'm kinda starting to feel the wait.

They could release in september, though? If they release in the beginning of october, the time between their announcement and their release would be almost as long as Joker's. But when Joker was announced he wasn't even in a showable state, while the bulk of the work on Banjo looked pretty much already done back in june, stage included. And with even new musical pieces mostly ready. We'll see.
While I could see them releasing in September, perhaps before a September Direct where the fourth character is announced, I don't want to expect it then, because if September comes and goes without them I'll be unnecessarily anxious. If I expect October, and get them in September, even better. I just feel like no matter how they handle it, it may be inconvenient--announcing a fourth character before Banjo & Kazooie are released is not ideal, but I can't see them pushing a Fall Direct to October or November since they've recently been very consistently in September. Or having a Fall Direct without Smash news--would be a weird thing for them to do. So, either way, there's going to be some complications. I'm satisfied, then, that sometime this year, I'll be playing them.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
A new theory has cropped up about Sakurai not going with a second fighters pass. I read the title and was worried it meant that he was cancelling the rest of the DLC! But then I thought nah, not with Banjo coming home!

Top Bottom