• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I thought we were better than posting LaxChris videos.

If there is another pass, Sakurai will be given additional capital to make it. He might be given less than the first, and we may have to wave goodbye to CGI trailers or as many third-parties or something, but it's not like he has to hope for there being sufficient remnants from the first pass to cobble together something for the second. It's not like Sakurai had enough of a surplus remaining from base to add these five characters, they specifically budgeted for it ahead of time. It doesn't take ten minutes to disprove that, just a cursory knowledge of how development works.

Also, wow it's been a long time since I watched a LaxChris video, I forgot what a grating, shouty voice he had. :dizzy:

ze9

Smash Ace
Sakurai makes a joke about being overbudget during a video presentation that's being made in a new livestream-like format (which had tons of editing anyways).
The fanbase: OH NO SMASH IS DOOMED WE WON'T GET ANYMORE DLC

God, sometimes it's frustrating.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Papa Genos also posted a new theory video. You all might like that one. This time, the theory is of the Character Select Screen, with and without the Miis on it.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah, no brainer as to what to think of this one.

The guy probably believes everything he reads without irony.
I love the Penn meme. I'm stealing it.

And yeah, never take anything LaxChris says seriously, they post about every rumor, regardless of credibility. And my problem with the Papa Geno's video is when it's stacked, it's perfectly retangular (he mistakingly thinks Mii Fighter's don't stack, when they do... I have 3 slots left on my stacked CSS).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sakurai makes a joke about being overbudget during a video presentation that's being made in a new livestream-like format (which had tons of editing anyways).
The fanbase: OH NO SMASH IS DOOMED WE WON'T GET ANYMORE DLC

God, sometimes it's frustrating.
You're telling me, I'm tired of being surrounded by literal thinking. I'd take THE CLOUDS and Ridley's Shadow, OOOOO over this. :glare:

I thought we were better than posting LaxChris videos.

If there is another pass, Sakurai will be given additional capital to make it. He might be given less than the first, and we may have to wave goodbye to CGI trailers or as many third-parties or something, but it's not like he has to hope for there being sufficient remnants from the first pass to cobble together something for the second. It's not like Sakurai had enough of a surplus remaining from base to add these five characters, they specifically budgeted for it ahead of time. It doesn't take ten minutes to disprove that, just a cursory knowledge of how development works.

Also, wow it's been a long time since I watched a LaxChris video, I forgot what a grating, shouty voice he had. :dizzy:
And even so, Ultimate printed money even before it got released, combine that with additional sales from the current pass and I don't think they'll need to worry about running out of funds for a bit, if willing to take the plunge.

If worse comes to worst, they can do an anime trailer every so often, as long as it's fitting for the character. Either that or a vid that uses assets from a character's home series. :ultisabelle:

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
You're telling me, I'm tired of being surrounded by literal thinking. I'd take THE CLOUDS and Ridley's Shadow, OOOOO over this. :glare:

And even so, Ultimate printed money even before it got released, combine that with additional sales from the current pass and I don't think they'll need to worry about running out of funds for a bit, if willing to take the plunge.

If worse comes to worst, they can do an anime trailer every so often, as long as it's fitting for the character.
I linked a Papa Genos video too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

If worse comes to worst, they can do an anime trailer every so often, as long as it's fitting for the character. Either that or a vid that uses assets from a character's home series. :ultisabelle:
Well yes, Ultimate has been very profitable, but that doesn't inherently correlate to how much they're going to spend on additional DLC. They may not even make any DLC fighters past the six we know, despite a presumably sizeable market clearly hungry for as much as it can get.

Papa Genos also posted a new theory video. You all might like that one. This time, the theory is of the Character Select Screen, with and without the Miis on it.
I'll be honest, I didn't watch the video - but if it has anything to do with the shape of the CSS signifying additional characters, you can toss it immediately. For as long as I can remember people have been making theories out of the CSS parameters, and not one has ever held any water.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, new plan, consider the following; are they seriously going to stop with less DLC characters than last time? And then sit around for 10 years while just balancing every few months, and doing endless spirit events?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Okay, new plan, consider the following; are they seriously going to stop with less DLC characters than last time? And then sit around for 10 years while just balancing every few months, and doing endless spirit events?

It's possible. Most companies wouldn't leave so much money on the table, but Nintendo has never been afraid to cut DLC off at the knees.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Right then, it's impossible to convince anyone since the pass' cycle is still ongoing, I'm done with this topic.

Waiting period for February is going to be long...

Maybe we'd finally know what the toy rifle is for if nothing interesting happens during 10 years.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Right then, it's impossible to convince anyone since the pass' cycle is still ongoing, I'm done with this topic.

Waiting period for February is going to be long...
It's not like anyone is claiming another pass doesn't make sense or wouldn't be profitable. It's just that Nintendo doesn't seem to care about that kind of stuff sometimes with DLC, so no one can say for sure.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's not like anyone is claiming another pass doesn't make sense or wouldn't be profitable. It's just that Nintendo doesn't seem to care about that kind of stuff sometimes with DLC, so no one can say for sure.
It's not like they can't break some habits, either. Every Smash so far has broken at least a few seemingly established patterns. It isn't over until Sakurai explicitly says it's over.

Anyway, until then we're clearly in a Mexican standoff, so let's just move along. No matter how hard people try to use crystal 8-balls, there's no way to prove or disprove anything since we're just regurgitating the same points until something comes up.

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman
This is sort of on topic but for those who like RIvals of Aether, the game will be getting Steam Workshop, and we'll be able to create our own characters. Soon RoA is becoming Smash Bros M.U.G.E.N. :laugh:. I bring this up here because this could be an opportunity to have Banjo-Kazooie in another platform fighting game.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It's only more DLC characters if you include veterans. Smash 4 had Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin as well as three veterans (two of which were clones). Smash Ultimate has Pirahna Plant and the 5 Fighter Pass characters in addition to bringing back all the small-fry characters. Ultimate has way more newcomers in DLC and no more "small fry"/low-effort characters to make up the numbers short of an Echo Pass update.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Well yes, Ultimate has been very profitable, but that doesn't inherently correlate to how much they're going to spend on additional DLC. They may not even make any DLC fighters past the six we know, despite a presumably sizeable market clearly hungry for as much as it can get.

I'll be honest, I didn't watch the video - but if it has anything to do with the shape of the CSS signifying additional characters, you can toss it immediately. For as long as I can remember people have been making theories out of the CSS parameters, and not one has ever held any water.
Huh. Well, never mind.

D

Deleted member

I don’t see why they wouldn’t. Nintendo has literally let franchises lay dormant because they can’t think of what to do with them anymore. Best example being F-Zero.

A lot of this depends on how long the Switch’s lifespan winds up being, but we know it’s gonna be longer than usual, so expect there to be no Smash until its finally put to rest, and then, perhaps a sort of rerelease of Ultimate to keep that ball rolling on whatever console succeeds the Switch. So yeah, a decade of just Ultimate doesn’t sound too far fetched tbh. And it’s not something I’d complain about either.

I personally struggle to see where the franchise could possibly go from here. MORE characters is simply not gonna cut it anymore as all the “hype” picks have basically made it in already. Yes, there are fans who go left off the wayside, but that’s bound to happen no matter what, as even with a 200 character roster the public won’t be satisfied, but, the mainstream audience honestly has very little left to be surprised about in regard to Smash at this point.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
When smash fans see literally anything that may look slightly out of place
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

N
I'll never stop finding this phrase funny. It's up there with "there are no more rules to break".
Not really. If you’ve been here since preBrawl, you’ve grown used to all the fan favorite picks. Banjo was the “never ever” dream pick for pretty much everyone. Even Geno felt like he had a better shot. Banjo is Sonic tier in terms of how impossible it seemed at the time, same for Cloud. And now both are in.

There are basically no characters left that could draw the same level of reaction from the public. And I challenge anyone to name them. The best most people can come up with are either remaining megahit icons who feel like they have a shot (like Doomguy), niche or obscure characters with dedicated fanbases (like Geno or Shatae), popular characters that kinda feel out of place (like Sans, Steve, and Dohvakin), or genuinely impossible picks for shock value (like Goku).

I think basically every major franchise that’s important to gaming/Nintendo and has ties to Nintendo is some way is accounted for, be it as playable characters, ATs, or Spirits.

There’s practically nothing left that could be the:

“HOLY **** THIS CHARACTER IS IN SMASH!!?”

Anymore.

I know it gets memed, but this is the peak. There’s nowhere higher you can go from here.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I know it gets memed, but this is the peak. There’s nowhere higher you can go from here.

Or MineCraft Steve, or Master Chief, or former Sony characters, or Sora, or a character who doesn't exist yet but will become immensely popular in future, or....

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think basically every major franchise that’s important to gaming/Nintendo and has ties to Nintendo is some way is accounted for, be it as playable characters, ATs, or Spirits.
They already have proof that being already represented isn't good enough. The ballot caused characters represented by assist trophies, a final smash, a boss battle, an alt, and just plain old trophies to get promoted. And I do believe there are still rules to be broken:
  • "Poke Balls/Assist Trophies/Spirits can't be DLC fighters"
  • "Pokemon gens past 1 can only have one fighter"
  • "Third party series can't have multiple unique reps"
  • "No Zelda fighter that isn't a Link/Zelda/Ganon"
  • "No Kirby characters that Sakurai didn't make"
  • "No Star Fox fighters that don't have some variation on Fox's moveset"
  • "No non-video game ch"-let's not go that far

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
If there's no second fighter pass, I would still be more than satisfied with what we got. All I'm hoping for at this point is Home-Run Contest and a Boss Rush mode (which already exists, but it's not convenient). Maybe a Gruntilda boss fight if we're really lucky.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not entirely true. There are still a wealth of obscure characters that can be supported and still manage to surprise people by virtue of seemingly being completely impossible. The Internet will still explode no matter what happens.

They already have proof that being already represented isn't good enough. The ballot caused characters represented by assist trophies, a final smash, a boss battle, an alt, and just plain old trophies to get promoted. And I do believe there are still rules to be broken:
  • "Poke Balls/Assist Trophies/Spirits can't be DLC fighters"
  • "Pokemon gens past 1 can only have one fighter"
  • "Third party series can't have multiple unique reps"
  • "No Zelda fighter that isn't a Link/Zelda/Ganon"
  • "No Kirby characters that Sakurai didn't make"
  • "No Star Fox fighters that don't have some variation on Fox's moveset"
  • "No non-video game ch"-let's not go that far
Let's not forget about.

"No Japan-made characters that didn't get any of their games exported in their original form or at all."
"No F-Zero fighters beyond Captain Falcon."
"No characters that currently show up in other fighting games or crossovers."
"No indie characters."
"Characters must have shown up in more than one game." Granted, barely anyone opposes that one.

I personally struggle to see where the franchise could possibly go from here. MORE characters is simply not gonna cut it anymore as all the “hype” picks have basically made it in already. Yes, there are fans who go left off the wayside, but that’s bound to happen no matter what, as even with a 200 character roster the public won’t be satisfied, but, the mainstream audience honestly has very little left to be surprised about in regard to Smash at this point.
Easy, bring in game modes that people will be happy with and WON'T get cut for no apparent reason other than keeping things from becoming stale. Just see Krazy's lament here:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman
If it were to happen I think a Mortal Kombat character like Scorpion or Sub-Zero from the MK1, 2, or UMK3 while having the other MK ninjas as color references (perfectly fits the amount of color slots) would be pretty hype. Hell, I would even take Shang Tsung or Goro.

Deetchy

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7783 1634 4990
So drifting away from LaxChris and his tiny brain, do you guys have a most wanted Mii costume for B&K to come with?

I feel like a Mumbo costume for Mii swordfighter is a no-brainer.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
So drifting away from LaxChris and his tiny brain, do you guys have a most wanted Mii costume for B&K to come with?

My most wanted costumes to come with B-K are Rash Mii Brawler, Mumbo and Conker Swordfighters, and a Jet Force Gemini Mii Gunner. The Gunner costume can have two options: Juno for Male and Vela for female.

Those would be awesome costume choices but I have a feeling we'll just get 2 or 3 Banjo-Kazooie costumes, an awful Mii character hat, and possibly some returning smash 4 costumes. There's a few from smash 4 that I wish would come back like the knight's armor and all of the Mega Man ones.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Ayooooooooo Hat in Time is coming to Switch. Its a genuinely great Banjo-Kazooie game (way better than Yooka). If you're in to these types of games (which I'm assuming you are cause youre in a Banjo board) you should support this studio and cop this when it drops in October.

Sidenote: if another studio were to take on the Banjo IP, id trust these guys in an instant.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...o-switch-release-date-revealed-includes-co-op

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'll never stop finding this phrase funny. It's up there with "there are no more rules to break".
Yes. I mean, those who saw my list of icons before it broke and paid attention to my posts would know that there's no shortage of characters that would excite me to some degree.

Besides, even if Geno somehow gets in without being barred by Square, that doesn't remove the amount of forgotten and underused characters that could use support.

The JFG, who are also a no-brainer.

Ayooooooooo Hat in Time is coming to Switch. Its a genuinely great Banjo-Kazooie game (way better than Yooka). If you're in to these types of games (which I'm assuming you are cause youre in a Banjo board) you should support this studio and cop this when it drops in October.

Sidenote: if another studio were to take on the Banjo IP, id trust these guys in an instant.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...o-switch-release-date-revealed-includes-co-op
Yes! Now it'll be easier to support her, but there's still that supposed "needs more than one game" obstacle.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
While I think it's better than Yooka (love that game still), A Hat in Time is not like Banjo Kazooie but rather more like Super Mario Sunshine and Mario 64. The only time it felt like Banjo was the Alpine world which advertised itself as a free-roaming world, but it completely misses the point by deliberately putting you back at the beginning of the world after you grabbed an hourglass.

Speaking of Yooka Laylee, Playtonic teased they're releasing Impossible Lair on October as well. https://twitter.com/PlaytonicGames/status/1162034427159035904

October will be a pretty great month for Switch owners.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434

Well, I predict Minecraft costumes. Like a Steve Swordfighter costume or a Creeper hat.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace

A fulgore brawler outfit would be dope

D

Deleted member

If it were to happen I think a Mortal Kombat character like Scorpion or Sub-Zero from the MK1, 2, or UMK3 while having the other MK ninjas as color references (perfectly fits the amount of color slots) would be pretty hype. Hell, I would even take Shang Tsung or Goro.
Mortal Kombat is literally banned in Japan for excessive violence though. They’re about as Never Ever as Goku.

Top Bottom