• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'll call it now: Super Rare Replay, a new version of Rare Replay focused on games on Nintendo's consoles, will be released this Holiday Season.

You're welcome.
I've been entertaining the notion of it being called Rare Recollection instead. You know, recollection like memories of playing Rare games on your Nintendo console, but also Re-collection because they did the whole collection thing again.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also: what the hell was Retro working on before Prime 4? Wheres the last Donkey Kong Country in their trilogy?
We just don't know. It could take anywhere from 1 to 4 years before the truth is finally revealed, with the way they decide to top polygon count on each of their projects.

At least K. Rool's Smash reveal had them cancel their plans for a secret boss fight in TF's Switch release, otherwise that game wouldn't have released sooner.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
We just don't know. It could take anywhere from 1 to 4 years before the truth is finally revealed, with the way they decide to top polygon count on each of their projects.

At least K. Rool's Smash reveal had them cancel their plans for a secret boss fight in TF's Switch release, otherwise that game wouldn't have released sooner.
K. Rool was going to be in Tropical Freeze on Switch?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So, curious what ya'll would like for Banjo & Kazooie's Direct? Would you like the more traditional Direct like Joker's, or would you like the Demo Livestream with Sakurai?

I don't understand why some like Gamexplain are saying it took the hype out of it--it had most of the stuff you'd see in a typical Direct, with the addition of Sakurai playing the game, a sight rarely seen. I'd love it if he did that with Banjo & Kazooie, seeing Sakurai play them and talk about their history. Unfortunately, I think that was a unique circumstance for Dragon Quest, especially given his disclaimer at the end of the video.

I've been entertaining the notion of it being called Rare Recollection instead. You know, recollection like memories of playing Rare games on your Nintendo console, but also Re-collection because they did the whole collection thing again.
Now that's a pun Rare could not ignore.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie:
So Excited! Who’s ready for the Bear and Bird in Smash Bros Ultimate!

Also just realizing, we live in a world we’re this is possible!: :ultmario::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So, curious what ya'll would like for Banjo & Kazooie's Direct? Would you like the more traditional Direct like Joker's, or would you like the Demo Livestream with Sakurai?

I don't understand why some like Gamexplain are saying it took the hype out of it--it had most of the stuff you'd see in a typical Direct, with the addition of Sakurai playing the game, a sight rarely seen. I'd love it if he did that with Banjo & Kazooie, seeing Sakurai play them and talk about their history. Unfortunately, I think that was a unique circumstance for Dragon Quest, especially given his disclaimer at the end of the video.
Do you think they will give Banjo his own presentation, or do you think they'll just tie it into the September Direct, if one is to air around his release anyway? Especially should character four be set for reveal.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Do you think they will give Banjo his own presentation, or do you think they'll just tie it into the September Direct, if one is to air around his release anyway? Especially should character four be set for reveal.
I'm not sure it's probable that we'd see Banjo & Kazooie in the Fall Direct unless it's a Joker-esque "wait and see", or a tie in with a Banjo-Kazooie title coming to Switch. Character presentations tend to be pretty long. While I originally doubted they'd reveal Character #4 in the Fall Direct before Banjo & Kazooie are released, given the crunched timing, that might actually be the case.

I'd love it if Banjo & Kazooie appeared in the Fall Direct in some form, though.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Banjo & Kazooie seem to be more standard characters, so I think their character presentation will be shorter than Hero's. Something like Joker's presentation would make more sense for them.
It also depends on the amount of new content that version 5.0.0 includes. If there's something like HRC/Boss Rush, you would assume they'd want to cover that. Sounds like a bit too much for a regular Direct.

ze9

Smash Ace
Maybe they'll do a Smash-specific direct with the details about Banjo and the trailers for the last two characters? Or at least for character#4.
I don't know. It could go a lot of ways.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Considering the reception Banjo got and how even Nintendo at E3 were surprised at how well he was received I'd be REALLY surprised if his announcement was smaller scale than Hero's.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Yes, they wanted him as an extra boss fight, until they heard that Sakurai wanted first dibs on showing his return to the world.
Aw man, that would've been SO cool.

They should've saved it as tie-in DLC, for after his announcement. But hey, his absence as an enemy only bolsters my headcannon that he and DK are frenemies now, what with him chillin' in the Kong's hut.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

Now that's a pun Rare could not ignore.
I'd love either or but if it's more like Joker's, Bottles, Mumbo Jumbo, and Gruntilda should be explaining Banjo & Kazooie's moveset and their special features and add-ons in the game with their dialogue boxes and little vocal effects like they were in Banjo-Kazooie, like Bottles explains the regular moves and the Spiral Mountain stage, Mumbo Jumbo explains the special moves and maybe the Final Smash, and Gruntilda, of course, explains her role on the stage and her possible inclusion as their boss in Classic Mode, while rhyming, of course!

But I agree with you, I loved watching Sakurai play with the Heroes, it gave me a much better sense how to use them myself and its always great seeing the literal master at work, so I'd love to see how he plays Banjo & Kazooie. One thing I've been thinking about lately is seeing professional players pick up Banjo & Kazooie as part of those crazy YouTube compilations like "BaNjO-kAzOoIe Is BaD" montage that precedes to show them kicking EVERYBODY'S *****. I can't wait for them to be released! I'm glad Hero will tide everyone over til then and hopefully this month or September we'll get a Nintendo direct that shows the next fighter and hopefully FINALLY Banjo & Kazooie's page on the Smash Bros. Ultimate website will finally be accessible!

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Yes, they wanted him as an extra boss fight, until they heard that Sakurai wanted first dibs on showing his return to the world.
Aw man! Oh well, guess we will wait till Banjo arrives. Already got a match prepared! Banjo & Kazooie in a team battle with K. Cool, DK, and Diddy! Hoping Krystal also pops out the first Assist Trophy.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Hero was just released 2 days ago. Why does the fighters section not have the new tag but How to play and Stages do? Are we getting a new character soon?

What is this.png

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Hero was just released 2 days ago. Why does the fighters section not have the new tag but How to play and Stages does? Are we getting a new character soon?

View attachment 233301
Stages is likely because of the DQ stage now having images.

How to play is due to changes in Edit Video and Online Tourney modes.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
The PERFECT Banjo-Kazooie Smash Direct would open with Bottles, Mumbo, Grunty, and of course B-K going over their moveset via text boxes and audio gibberish.

Maybe Isabelle or someone could interrupt them every once and awhile for more gibberish aha

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Stages is likely because of the DQ stage now having images.

How to play is due to changes in Edit Video and Online Tourney modes.
That's the thing. They're all new features including the Hero but the fighter section doesn't have the new tag. When you do click it, Hero has the new tag but the button to go into the fighter section doesn't. I don't think this has happened before.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
The PERFECT Banjo-Kazooie Smash Direct would open with Bottles, Mumbo, Grunty, and of course B-K going over their moveset via text boxes and audio gibberish.

Maybe Isabelle or someone could interrupt them every once and awhile for more gibberish aha
That would be an interesting way to break down Banjo and Kazooie’s moveset. I’m imagining it right now: the Direct starts with Banjo stopping in front of Bottles, who welcomes them back to the video game scene for the first time since N&B, of which Kazooie tells them not to remind them of. Bottles would then run down the moveset in place of Sakurai with the accompaniment of other B-K characters.

It’s interesting and a unique take on moveset breakdowns because they can just recycle a lot of the talking sounds and assets from Banjo-Kazooie. That can be a real treat for B-K fans.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have been meaning to ask. Have Phil Spencer, Rare, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sakurai received our thank you letter yet?
I'd say no, it has to make the news like K.Rool's did. I think it'll happen sometime after this month ends.

Edit: Well, the NOA, Microsoft guys and Rare alumni did, so it's only a question of time.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

Definitely prefer seeing Sakurai in person. Makes it feel more like he's the one presenting it. I do suspect the DQ video was specifically to help raise awareness of the DQ series to potential DLC buyers and advertise Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes Of An Elusive Age Definitive Edition.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I have been meaning to ask. Have Phil Spencer, Rare, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sakurai received our thank you letter yet?
From what i remember, Phil Spencer, Rare, Microsoft and Nintendo of America have all received it. No word from Nintendo of Japan or Sakurai.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I have a request. When our beloved duo drops and any of you encounter players who spam the Egg Shot or Wonderwing, WRECK THEM. Do not let those filthy spammers ruin Banjo & Kazooie's legacy! Same goes for taunt partiers!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So far, 36 of the 78 characters (Hero isn't playable at EVO) have appeared on the EVO Stream alone.

Loving this. As a Joker main, each one that I've seen so far plays in a completely different way, for example.

Let's hope the meta keeps this way. And that next year's Banjo mains rock on stage.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
As for Bottles explaining the moves--I think that would be a really awesome and cute gag, though let's not forget their Direct would have to convey that information in a way most people will be able to follow (audio and visual cues). It'd be a fun nod to the fans, but if it went on for too long, it would turn off the vast majority of other people watching. I think it would be a nice funny gag for a couple minutes, before Sakurai comes in to explain the moves more thoroughly.

My ideal Direct: Open with Smash 64 opening, Master Hand drops Yoshi on the table, goes to the countdown and stops at 1. We see Banjo and Kazooie in their N64 come out of the chest, followed by some gameplay. Sakurai goes over their history and moves, including showing off some new mechanics, followed by a gameplay demo. We see Spiral Mountain in action, and pays extra attention to that. He goes over the music, if not the largest music selection of any character, than at least of DLC, mentioning Grant Kirkhope's contribution. If Grunty is a boss, he goes over that and how best to peck the witch's butt, similar to how he described Dracula in Simon's trailer. We then go back to a more Direct style where it shows off Mii costumes, including B&K and Microsoft characters. As well as new modes--if Grunty is a boss, a boss rush mode announcement would be nice. And then an announcement of when they will be released.

I don't think that's going to happen--unfortunately, I think Hero was the exception. But it would be great to hear directly from Sakurai--I felt like Joker's was a lot more sterile with his absence.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm bored again so I'm just going to speculate what the DLC for Super Smash Bros Ultimate could be.

FPC = Fighters Pass Character
Bonus = Characters that aren't in the fighters pass so won't be getting new stages with them.

Bonus #1 Piranha Plant (Confirmed)
FPC #1 Joker (Confirmed)
FPC #2 Hero (Confirmed)
FPC #3 Banjo & Kazooie (Confirmed)
Bonus #2 Geno (Seems like it could be happening if the Starling picture is anything to go by)
FPC #4 Chris Redfield (With alts of Jill, Leon and Claire. These characters could work well with a castle trailer sequel)
FPC #5 Doom Slayer (He would continue on from the ZZSamus fight against Ridley. Samus would struggle against Ridley but then a character starts smashing through doors and Doom Guy appears)
Bonus #3 Waluigi (I'm saying this as a Waluigi detractor, fans have been pestering Nintendo about it and if Geno becomes true, Waluigi seems possible)

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Banjo & Kazooie taking an evo would feel SO good.

I'm bored again so I'm just going to speculate what the DLC for Super Smash Bros Ultimate could be.

FPC = Fighters Pass Character
Bonus = Characters that aren't in the fighters pass so won't be getting new stages with them.

Bonus #1 Piranha Plant (Confirmed)
FPC #1 Joker (Confirmed)
FPC #2 Hero (Confirmed)
FPC #3 Banjo & Kazooie (Confirmed)
Bonus #2 Geno (Seems like it could be happening if the Starling picture is anything to go by)
FPC #4 Chris Redfield (With alts of Jill, Leon and Claire. These characters could work well with a castle trailer sequel)
FPC #5 Doom Slayer (He would continue on from the ZZSamus fight against Ridley. Samus would struggle against Ridley but then a character starts smashing through doors and Doom Guy appears)
Bonus #3 Waluigi (I'm saying this as a Waluigi detractor, fans have been pestering Nintendo about it and if Geno becomes true, Waluigi seems possible)
Some more bonus fighters would be great. I wouldn't even mind if some of them were echo fighters or semi clones (I doubt we'll get clone DLC unless announced).

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Banjo & Kazooie taking an evo would feel SO good.

Some more bonus fighters would be great. I wouldn't even mind if some of them were echo fighters or semi clones (I doubt we'll get clone DLC unless announced).
Speculation:

Last Two Fighters will be Heihachi and Crash.

Echoes Pass will be Dixie, Octoling, Black Shadow, Jeanne, and Proto Man

Nintendo Pass will be Waluigi, Rex, Bandana Dee, Porky, and Toad

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Speculation:

Last Two Fighters will be Heihachi and Crash.

Echoes Pass will be Dixie, Octoling, Black Shadow, Jeanne, and Proto Man

Nintendo Pass will be Waluigi, Rex, Bandana Dee, Porky, and Toad
Even if we get post-Pass content, I don't see Black Shadow. His niche of potentially being a "heavier, harder-hitting Falcon" is pretty much filled already.

Rex has a similar problem. The tone of his costume's inclusion was "sorry we couldn't include him, here's a consolation prize". I don't think Nintendo would put dev time into him when they gave us a "second best thing".

On a sidenote... EVO day 2 begins, baybee!

ze9

Smash Ace
I think we won't hear anything about fighters outside of the Pass until the Pass is finished. After that, I think any character would be fair game, even if they already have a minor role in the base game. The first pass is one thing, but there's no way they would have planned that ahead.

I need Dixie and Bomberman to get a second chance, dammit.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I need Dixie and Bomberman to get a second chance, dammit.
Poor Bomberman. He really needs to be promoted to playable in Smash 6.

Although, I think Bomberman, along with Reimu (Touhou) and Kyo (King of Fighters) (We need an SNK rep), would all make better additions than Banjo and Hero, I'm glad to see Banjo and Hero as playable characters. However, so far Joker, who was a heartbreaker for me, is the only character in the fighter's pass that I want as an assist trophy instead of a playable character, due to lack of support and iconicness, despite being iconic and popular. All the other DLC fighters are perfect.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't think Nintendo would put dev time into him when they gave us a "second best thing".
To be fair, they have sold Mii costumes of Falcon/Fox/Link/Samus despite being Smash mainstays. Maybe they wouldn't think it'd be redundant to have the Rex costume and a playable Rex, although I still believe his fans gotta wait a while.

Also, I think Porky's chances are being highly overrated. Just because he's a series' main villain doesn't mean he's the only noticeable spirit omission.

Top Bottom