• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Sorry I haven't been active here in a hot minute. Hero excitement and all. Anyways, if I could open up an old conversation again for a moment, I had a galaxy brain idea about Banjo in Smash, and anecdotal evidence to support it. On the topic of Grunty possibly being a boss, I realized that this would be easy to implement. One of the points against Grunty being a boss was that it wouldn't make sense to make a new boss for one Classic Mode path, and they probably wouldn't add her to WoL (even though I think that would be easy enough to do.), but then I realized that there is an easy way to implement a new boss but in a way that every character could fight them easily, thus making it worth the investment: The Spirit Board. For BK's special spirit board, they could have a Grunty Ace/Legend spirit where the clear condition is literally "Gruntilda: To win, beat Gruntilda" That way, you could just go to the spirit board and fight with or without spirits, as every character easily.

As for the anecdotal evidence, I recall around the time leakers were saying that Erdrick was coming to Smash (which turned out to be technically true.), some leakers were claiming that one of the DLC characters would get so much special treatment it might over shadow the other characters. If BK were truly the only characters to get a special boss, this might be what they were referring to. If BK get to fight Grunty, I could see other DLC fans mad, saying things like "Well then why doesn't Joker get to fight Kamoshida, or Hero actually fighting the dragon lord, HUH?!?". This is by no means proof, but it did seem note worthy if Gruntilda is actually BK's classic mode boss.

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Now that Banjo is playable, do you think we will have more Rare reps?
Rash from Battletoads would be my personal pick for a 2nd Rare character in Smash. Zitz and Pimple could even be alt costumes as long as Pimple's proportionally similar to the other toads, which shouldn't be an issue if Sakurai goes with the classic designs (and not the garbage new designs).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Sorry I haven't been active here in a hot minute. Hero excitement and all. Anyways, if I could open up an old conversation again for a moment, I had a galaxy brain idea about Banjo in Smash, and anecdotal evidence to support it. On the topic of Grunty possibly being a boss, I realized that this would be easy to implement. One of the points against Grunty being a boss was that it wouldn't make sense to make a new boss for one Classic Mode path, and they probably wouldn't add her to WoL (even though I think that would be easy enough to do.), but then I realized that there is an easy way to implement a new boss but in a way that every character could fight them easily, thus making it worth the investment: The Spirit Board. For BK's special spirit board, they could have a Grunty Ace/Legend spirit where the clear condition is literally "Gruntilda: To win, beat Gruntilda" That way, you could just go to the spirit board and fight with or without spirits, as every character easily.

As for the anecdotal evidence, I recall around the time leakers were saying that Erdrick was coming to Smash (which turned out to be technically true.), some leakers were claiming that one of the DLC characters would get so much special treatment it might over shadow the other characters. If BK were truly the only characters to get a special boss, this might be what they were referring to. If BK get to fight Grunty, I could see other DLC fans mad, saying things like "Well then why doesn't Joker get to fight Kamoshida, or Hero actually fighting the dragon lord, HUH?!?". This is by no means proof, but it did seem note worthy if Gruntilda is actually BK's classic mode boss.
Ooh, so basically, we could get a Boss Battle mode implemented like a Spirit Board if we extrapolate on that. A Boss Board, if you will.

Love that idea. I think it would be really fitting.

ze9

Smash Ace
I'm usually skeptical about this kind of things, but I think Gruntilda as a boss could happen.
Current opinion is that she just destroys or repairs the bridge to the lair, but I don't know, she'd feel kinda... wasted? Mumbo and Bottles also appear on the stage and it feels more like the kind of thing they would be doing. Also, she deserves a bigger role. She's a great and memorable villain and a big part of Banjo-Kazooie's charm.
Guess we'll see.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Ooh, so basically, we could get a Boss Battle mode implemented like a Spirit Board if we extrapolate on that. A Boss Board, if you will.

Love that idea. I think it would be really fitting.
Honestly, I wasn't even thinking about that. I totally believe they could add a boss rush mode as a single player mode at a later date. I was just thinking that a Gruntilda boss fight could be on the BK special spirit board. Every other spirit could take the standard spirit pattern of having a character(s) and fight conditions that correlate towards the characters, but Gruntilda could just be... Gruntilda.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly, I wasn't even thinking about that. I totally believe they could add a boss rush mode as a single player mode at a later date. I was just thinking that a Gruntilda boss fight could be on the BK special spirit board. Every other spirit could take the standard spirit pattern of having a character(s) and fight conditions that correlate towards the characters, but Gruntilda could just be... Gruntilda.
Ah, okay. I just really liked the idea of a Boss Board because you can directly select a boss to fight in that case.

Like... if I hypothetically wanted to fight Ganon as Banjo, I could just do it through a board instead of replaying all that stuff in WoL's final stage.

ze9

Smash Ace
The DLC spirit boards so far have finished with a Legend class spirit that's a long battle against a ton of characters. Of course Persona and Dragon Quest are more fitting for something like that, being RPGs and all, but I can't really see what the Banjo-Kazooie equivalent would be.
Maybe Banjo's transformations? But they're too weird to work well, apart from, like, K. Rool as the croc and Jigglypuff as the snowball.
So... What if the Legend rank spirit is none other than Gruntilda?

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The DLC spirit boards so far have finished with a Legend class spirit that's a long battle against a ton of characters. Of course Persona and Dragon Quest are more fitting for something like that, being RPGs and all, but I can't really see what the Banjo-Kazooie equivalent would be.
Maybe Banjo's transformations? But they're too weird to work well, apart from, like, K. Rool as the croc and Jigglypuff as the snowball.
So... What if the Legend rank spirit is none other than Gruntilda?
Interesting theory... I think the closest we'll get to a horde battle or a team battle would be a Jinjo Spirit (a Yoshi team, no doubt). Maybe something related to the Eggs or Feathers, but I dunno.

So a really strong enemy instead of a horde of fighters would be the way to go. And Grunty is certainly the best choice for that.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Ah, okay. I just really liked the idea of a Boss Board because you can directly select a boss to fight in that case.

Like... if I hypothetically wanted to fight Ganon as Banjo, I could just do it through a board instead of replaying all that stuff in WoL's final stage.
That would be a good format for a boss mode, actually.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
17730-banjo-kazooie-nintendo-64-front-cover.jpg

I kinda bumed out that smash ultimate newcomers don't get cool posters like Smash 4 did :/

Any artists out there want to make a banjo one ?

My Idea for a banjo smash poster would be coping the Banjo-Kazooie box art

Banjo would be chasing a smash ball insted of jiggy & holding a injured Diddy kong instead of jinjo

Instead of grunty in the background it would be a darkon king k rool & galeem bowser reatching for banjo with an army of darkon/galeem characters marching twords them from the background

Kazooie would be holding the sooper scope & would be charging a shot at bowser & king K rool

on the hill to the left would be diffrent characters cheering banjo on

mumbo would be replaced with mario & Dr. mario rushing to take on the army

If someone wants to make this poster a reality that would be SOOO COOL ! you guys have any Ideas to add to this banjo poster idea? or would you do a diffrent poster for them ? if other newcomers got posters what should they have been ?

tell me your dream smash ultimate poster ideas

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
It sucks that Luminary is the default Hero render. Every other variant is a more interesting design, and Erdrick is more iconic (also ****ing Goku).

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Then ignore it. Those two do videos on EVERY leak that comes to them and seem to believe them, regardless of how little sense they make.
My dad works at Sony and his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate works at Nintendo, and he told me the last two characters in the Fighter Pass are Marth, but specifically his appearance in Tokyo Mirage Session #FE, and Pappy Van Poodle from Rusty Sluggers Real Deal Baseball. Sakurai was worried we didn't have enough fire emblem characters in the game, so he wanted to make sure everybody was satisfied with the amount of Fire Emblem representation, but he also wanted a character that uses JoJo's Bizarre Adventure stands, but Phil Spenser told him he wouldn't give him Banjo if he put weeb trash into Smash Bros., so Sakurai couldn't implement Josuke Jostar into Smash. Sakurai added Pappy Van Poodle to the game on short notice on account of his viral fame from Nick Robinson's video, but saw the potential in a Baseball playing character. The character was a toss up between Pappy and one of Rusty's kids, but Pappy ultimately won out. Sakurai also wanted to make sure we got some first parties into the game, so that's why the last two characters are first party. I await LaxChris and Blocked Content's coverage of this totally credible leak.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
It sucks that Luminary is the default Hero render. Every other variant is a more interesting design, and Erdrick is more iconic (also ****ing Goku).
Speaking of which, does anyone else think it's the biggest missed opportunity to give goku's color pallet to the solo alt and not erdrick?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
View attachment 233580

I kinda bumed out that smash ultimate newcomers don't get cool posters like Smash 4 did :/

Any artists out there want to make a banjo one ?

My Idea for a banjo smash poster would be coping the Banjo-Kazooie box art

Banjo would be chasing a smash ball insted of jiggy & holding a injured Diddy kong instead of jinjo

Instead of grunty in the background it would be a darkon king k rool & galeem bowser reatching for banjo with an army of darkon/galeem characters marching twords them from the background

Kazooie would be holding the sooper scope & would be charging a shot at bowser & king K rool

on the hill to the left would be diffrent characters cheering banjo on

mumbo would be replaced with mario & Dr. mario rushing to take on the army

If someone wants to make this poster a reality that would be SOOO COOL ! you guys have any Ideas to add to this banjo poster idea? or would you do a diffrent poster for them ? if other newcomers got posters what should they have been ?

tell me your dream smash ultimate poster ideas
I think I talked about this before but I replaced Jinjo with Kirby and had the DK characters and Mario in the background to replace the Banjo Kazooie characters.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
So, uhh...
Is there anyone who would be so kind to remind me about the Amiibo Theory? How did it go exactly?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, uhh...
Is there anyone who would be so kind to remind me about the Amiibo Theory? How did it go exactly?
Amiibo theory seems to be more related to the timing of the character releases than with the identity of the last two.

The theory goes that character releases coincide with the month (or at least, are close-by) of a new amiibo batch. PP released two weeks apart from three amiibo (forgot whose, sorry), same for Joker and Hero.

Going by that, the next three amiibos release in late September, literally the last days of Summer. meaning Banjo probably releases within two weeks after that, in early October.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, uhh...
Basically, amiibos for Smash Ultimate have been released in groups of three.

-Inkling, Ridley, Wolf
-Piranha Plant, K. Rool, Ice Climbers
-Daisy, Young Link, Ken
-Pichu, Pokemon Trainer, Isabelle
-Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake
-Incineroar, Chrom, Simon

Dark Samus and Richter are coming out in 2020, and if this pattern continues, Joker's amiibo will likely be released along with them. That leaves one group being Hero, Banjo, and the fourth Fighter's Pass character, and the fifth Fighter's Pass character being on their own. This results in some people thinking that there will be two more bonus characters.

However, the entire thing falls apart if they only release two Smash amiibo at once, or four in the case of the Dragon Quest heroes. (I could easily see them doing all four Dragon Quest heroes in one group, followed by Banjo & Kazooie and the fourth and fifth DLC characters in another)

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Ah, ok. Thanks!
I was mostly interested in how it ties to Banjo's release date, I think the rest of the theory is way too speculative.
So early october it is, huh? Not bad.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
holy crap I just realized Banjo is officially the next character coming to Smash Bros now that Hero is out.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
What the people really need is that Dixie echo. C'mon, Nintendo, its a layup

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I don't buy amiibo theory, particularly hard amiibo theory which states we'll be getting extra characters. That being said, the only thing I'm curious about it is estimating when we'll be getting Banjo & Kazooie's amiibo. It's one of those surreal aspects of their inclusion that I can't believe is now inevitable. I promised it a year ago, and I'll keep it--they will be the first amiibo I ever get (after having dismissed amiibo in the past) and will probably get Mario, Link, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Mega Man and PAC-MAN to go along with our bear and bird duo.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don't buy amiibo theory, particularly hard amiibo theory which states we'll be getting extra characters. That being said, the only thing I'm curious about it is estimating when we'll be getting Banjo & Kazooie's amiibo. It's one of those surreal aspects of their inclusion that I can't believe is now inevitable. I promised it a year ago, and I'll keep it--they will be the first amiibo I ever get (after having dismissed amiibo in the past) and will probably get Mario, Link, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Mega Man and PAC-MAN to go along with our bear and bird duo.
The person who made amiibo theory also said that the "extra amiibo slots" might also be for alt costume amiibos, like in Smash 4. I think it's more likely than extra characters, but that's just me.

That said, we already have three characters out to help confirm the part about releases being close to amiibo, so at least that part seems trustworthy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If we get extra characters, I wouldn't rely on amiibo of all things for possible clues, especially since it takes months for those to be mass-produced and released anyways.

Besides, when Smash 4 was underway, it was believed that the Shovel Knight amiibo was a hint towards him being playable, when that clearly wasn't the case.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
More like a unique fighter.
I don't get why everyone thinks that Dixie needs to be her own player. Just change her B Up (or Jump) for the hair, and change the peanut gun to bubblegum. You can even give her Diddy's rapid jab from Sm4sh.

Dixie is literally a clone of Diddy.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I don't get why everyone thinks that Dixie needs to be her own player. Just change her B Up (or Jump) for the hair, and change the peanut gun to bubblegum. You can even give her Diddy's rapid jab from Sm4sh.

Because no one ever wants echoes/clones.

ze9

Smash Ace

You'd also have to change the cartwheels and some of the more acrobatic moves in favor of something like hair swings. That's the very bare mininum, and even then, across all of her appearances she offers more than enough to build a fully original moveset.
I guess this is more for the Dixie thread, tho.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
You'd also have to change the cartwheels and some of the more acrobatic moves in favor of something like hair swings. That's the very bare mininum, and even then, across all of her appearances she offers more than enough to build a fully original moveset.
I guess this is more for the Dixie thread, tho.
I totally disagree. Dixie is playable in DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze. In all of those games, she has her hair, and her bubble gum gun, and........ thats it. Literally those are the only differences between her and Diddy.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I am a bit upset Nintendo didn't even announce a Direct at EVO. This staying silent of DLC releases is getting very annoying and stupid.
I guess the big difference between this year and last year is that last year, they were in the middle of the pre-release period and the game was coming out in a few months. If they were hoping to announce every character before the game came out, they needed to get them out there quickly. (it's telling that the Direct that was announced at EVO last year gave us five new characters, even if three were echo fighters)

This year, there's not really the same sense of urgency - as far as we know, there are only two DLC fighters left, and they have roughly half a year to spread those announcements out. (at the very least, four or five months)

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I guess the big difference between this year and last year is that last year, they were in the middle of the pre-release period and the game was coming out in a few months. If they were hoping to announce every character before the game came out, they needed to get them out there quickly. (it's telling that the Direct that was announced at EVO last year gave us five new characters, even if three were echo fighters)

This year, there's not really the same sense of urgency - as far as we know, there are only two DLC fighters left, and they have roughly half a year to spread those announcements out. (at the very least, four or five months)
Yeah, it's basically six months if we consider the last character probably releases in February and the Pass will be complete.

It does bug me that information is spread in a weird way. Joker was announced the night before the game's release, then 4 months of near-radio silence until he was released, then two more months of nothing before two characters were announced, the first of which was done after one more month and we never got a clear release date for until the day before release; and the second of which we have no release date for and have to rely on pure speculation.

It was the same with Smash 4: Mewtwo was revealed before launch, then after nearly 6 months of silence he was released, then a second character was unveiled and then released like, two months later along with two other characters that hadn't even been teased.

Then about 2 more months of nothing until Cloud, then 2 more until Corrin and Bayo.

Honestly, the wait is far from being a problem - it's normal for all fighting games, but what I don't understand is why the info spreadout has to be this irregular. And even then, most other fighting games at least give a month for their DLC. Maybe they just feel like giving deadlines to the public would put too much pressure on the team? I have no idea...

Top Bottom