• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Hello all! I recently wrote a rap / poem for a far more toxic site than I care to admit I go to every now and then, (okay fine it's GameFAQs), and I actually ended up being surprised at how well it turned out. It was just a random Smash Cypher post, but I figured I'd share because it was fun writing and for 30 minutes it didn't turn out bad at all. I updated it a little just because I found some better words / typos.

===
busts out of their home in Spiral Mountain

[Kazooie verse]
Bam! Banjo, it's finally our chance to shine,
Takin' all the gatekeeper's cheese, with a lot of bit of whine!
Got the tears of DLC deniers flowing like a damn water fountain,
While preparing for our time to Smash from up here on Spiral Mountain!

[Banjo verse]
But wait, Kazooie, you're not being very nice,
Lots of characters have dreamed of this very moment once or twice.
I will say though pal, for us it's finally sunny weather,
Now lets get out there, fluff some fur, and shake a red tail feather.

[Kazooie]
Coming in hot, it's me, Kazooie, everyone's favorite breegull,
I'm sassy, smart, fast, and if you think you can beat me, LOL.
I'm not here to sing or dance, not waltz or serenade,
But you better pay attention, cuz' here comes an ass grenade.
This is no contest of speed, though if it were I'd win the race,
Right now I'm focused more on delivering this egg into your face.
Lookin' kinda high down there up on that red percent,
Let's do it, Banjo! Breegull Bash! Yup, and there they went!

[Banjo]
Now that's a little violent, Kazooie, but I guess we do what we must,
That Breegull Bash we just performed just turned Mario into dust!
It's time for me to pull my weight, learned that from our friend the mole,
I might not be big like Donkey Kong, but check out my forward roll.
For a "cereal mascot" bear and bird, richer than milk, more like sour cream,
Screw it Kazooie, here we go, let's show the cast that we're the Dream!
We'll bash and smash and get the cash and like Survivor we'll outlast,
Let's hear a big ole' GUH HUH, down throw, now you better mash!

[Banjo & Kazooie, alternating, starting with Banjo]

This is for the jinjos, Mumbo, and my sister Tooty!
This is for the ass kicking we handed Grunty's booty!
We've collected all the notes and jiggies and saved each and every friend,
For a simpleton brown bear, you know, let's stay together 'till the end.
We might not have had an adventure lately, plenty of time to rest,
But for lots of gamers in the 90's, we're the f***ing best.
"Banjo and Kazooie WIN!" the announcer soon will sing,
Let's use the last of our golden feathers, now pal, Wonder Wing!

Banjo and Kazooie, win!
===

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well! I'd love to see Banjo and Kazooie make a come back outside of Smash, with all the products and licensed goods the last couple years, I feel it's possible, but I'm not expecting anything.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I swear y'all every time the duo is referred to as "Banjo" or with male pronouns I die a little inside. Why do people gotta do my girl Kazooie like that?
To be fair, this happens to almost every character duo. Ratchet & Clank are also often shortened to just "Ratchet" and Jak & Daxter got shortened to just "Jak" in the series' title itself. It's just easier to say, and most people understand that you're referring to the duo either way.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
To be fair, this happens to almost every character duo. Ratchet & Clank are also often shortened to just "Ratchet" and Jak & Daxter got shortened to just "Jak" in the series' title itself. It's just easier to say, and most people understand that you're referring to the duo either way.
Yea I get what you're saying, but like I said on the previous page:

I'm sure it's just an abbreviation SOMETIMES, but more often than not I hear that same person refer to them as "he" or "him" shortly after. You can't tell me those pronouns are easier to say than "they" or "them".

It's not the end of the world or anything, but it bugs me. I just don't want Kazooie to be pushed to the background.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
They weren't saying "Banjo", they were saying "Banjo-" which is short for "Banjo-Kazooie" :)

There isn't a soul alive who doesn't know that Kazooie's always with Banjo anyways. It's just the most convenient way of referring to the games, the character, etc. Like how the first in a series ends up being called "[Game] One" when it was just called "[Game]".

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
So, should they have followed the source game like they did in Smash, or should Kazooie be visible at all times with Banjo?
I personally wish we would've gotten more animations with her. Examples include her shielding Banjo with her wings when they shield and dash with their forward roll like she does in Banjo-Tooie, when Banjo does his 'Feathery Flap' backflip she should be there as well, etc. Some missed opportunities to really show how they function as a duo. Also, am I the only one a bit miffed that of all the titles they could've given Banjo & Kazooie on the Boxing Ring stage, they went with 'Laid Back Animals'? I get Banjo is considered a laidback personality, but Kazooie most certainly is not laidback and there are so many better ways to describe them as a title! Backpacking Buddies, Bear and Bird Buddies, the Jiggy Hunters, the Witch Slayers, the Puzzle Solvers, the Collecting Creatures, the Rare Pair, heck, even just the Bear and Bird would've been more appropriate than 'Laid Back Animals'. That just sounds so lame and generic. Here's hoping if they ever make a Smash sequel and, praying that Banjo & Kazooie become veterans, they add those little things to improve their standing in the game.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I personally wish we would've gotten more animations with her. Examples include her shielding Banjo with her wings when they shield and dash with their forward roll like she does in Banjo-Tooie, when Banjo does his 'Feathery Flap' backflip she should be there as well, etc. Some missed opportunities to really show how they function as a duo. Also, am I the only one a bit miffed that of all the titles they could've given Banjo & Kazooie on the Boxing Ring stage, they went with 'Laid Back Animals'? I get Banjo is considered a laidback personality, but Kazooie most certainly is not laidback and there are so many better ways to describe them as a title! Backpacking Buddies, Bear and Bird Buddies, the Jiggy Hunters, the Witch Slayers, the Puzzle Solvers, the Collecting Creatures, heck, even just the Bear and Bird would've been more appropriate than 'Laid Back Animals'. That just sounds so lame and generic. Here's hoping if they ever make a Smash sequel and, praying that Banjo & Kazooie become veterans, they add those little things to improve their standing in the game.
Or they could have chosen...A Rare Pair. ;)

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
June 11th, 2019. We were all watching Nintendo's E3. They revealed Hero, great new games and DLC. But...just before the BOTW 2 reveal teaser...a second Smash trailer appeared. We saw DK, Diddy and K. Rool hanging out, assumed it was Dixie Kong. Until the Jiggy bounced across the screen...and a pair of old friends were revealed to have come home, their fans cried tears and cheers of joy, as Banjo & Kazooie made their glorious return, after 11 years.

Today is the second anniversary of the bear and bird's reveal at E3 2019. Who else cried when they saw Banjo & Kazooie come home?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
June 11th, 2019. We were all watching Nintendo's E3. They revealed Hero, great new games and DLC. But...just before the BOTW 2 reveal teaser...a second Smash trailer appeared. We saw DK, Diddy and K. Rool hanging out, assumed it was Dixie Kong. Until the Jiggy bounced across the screen...and a pair of old friends were revealed to have come home, their fans cried tears and cheers of joy, as Banjo & Kazooie made their glorious return, after 11 years.

Today is the second anniversary of the bear and bird's reveal at E3 2019. Who else cried when they saw Banjo & Kazooie come home?
No tears, but I did scream in my car at work for so long that I didn't fully take in their trailer the first time. I was so excited that I told my co-workers, and a lot of them had no idea what I was talking about. Lol

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

My Happyness Grew as i continue smiling on that day.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Top ten favorite Nintendo moments. Period.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

I pieced it together in my head the moment I saw the Jiggy, I had suspected he was inevitably coming at some point down the line and I still got blown away. Honestly, every time I so much as look at the damn roster slot for the two I can't help but feel like I'm in some wet dream or something.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
(Disclaimer: I'm just gonna copy and paste what I typed 1 year ago because I'm too lazy to rethink and type.)

(French Narrator from Spongebob): 2 Years Later...

5d0001d26fc920285f11bd62.jpeg.jpg

What else can I say that hasn't already been said countless times before?

Even to this day it's still unreal to have them in Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Like it shouldn't be legally possible for them to crossover in anything official from Nintendo as their ties were (Apparently) severed and swept under the rug nearly 20 years ago as they are now official 1st Party Microsoft Xbox characters.

...And yet here they are.

Having them appear in a trailer with fellow Rareware characters in DK, Diddy Kong and King K. Rool like many have wanted, Seeing Microsoft in the title screen, Having the announcer announce their names on the fighter select screen, Having Spiral Mountain as their home stage to fight in. Having hear tracks and remixes including one from Grant Kirkhope himself and Having Banjo-Kazooie fight with fellow Nintendo All-Stars in Mario, Donkey Kong and Pikachu in each of their own home turf for me just feels so damn right and natural.

Banjo-Kazooie's long and difficult road to Smash that started out as an "All-Star" duo who seemed like a inevitable candidate that could have been in the beginning on the N64 and seemed only like a matter of time after they established themselves even further for them to join Melee or even Brawl, But were robbed of their chance as it was seen as good as dead the second Microsoft bought out Rare, But it was the ultimate "Underdog Story" that was 20 years in the making that made it even that much more sweeter and to me personally it is still hands down, absolutely the greatest character reveal in Super Smash Bros history.

While my priorties have switched over to Crash Bandicoot who's currently my most wanted after Banjo-Kazooie made it in, If for whatever terrible reason he doesn't make the final cut at least I can still fall back on my big 1-2 punch (Banjo-Kazooie and King K Rool).

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Haven't been online much in the past few months, but wanted to share my memories of past E3's and hopes for the new ones as it's here.

Retrospectively, as much as I wanted to know sooner rather than later, being spoiled on Banjo & Kazooie in Smash definitely took away from the momentum afterwards--but during the presentation itself, given I had given up hope at that point, I was stunned when the Smash trailer came up. I was motionless, eyes wide open, time slowed down, and I couldn't actually pay attention as my friend was shrugging my shoulder as he knew what it was. Then the jiggy dropped, and it was history.

It's unfortunate insiders have said not to expect anything Banjo-Kazooie for Xbox (Jeff Grubb on Twitter)--but at least I can comfortably skip the presentation. Makes no sense for a company constantly criticized for not having exclusive games to ignore the vast IP they actually own, just keep spending billions on newer ones. Just do something, anything, or sell it. Now it's just a wait for Nintendo. Hoping for Crash in Smash, as FP2 has been a bust for me so far, but it's my fault for impulsively buying the pass, and I already got my dream character so I'm content. While it's sad that it's ending, at least it'll be complete soon.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm not disappointed with FP2 like I was with byleth, albeit minmin and steve is whatever. I need the passes anyways since I take my switch to venues to get my venue fee waived.
Kazuya is a neat addition, moreso surprised it took this long for a tekken rep to be added.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Apparently Arlo (the blue puppet YouTuber) said in a recent video that he doesn't think Kazuya has the "reach" of a character like Banjo and people on Twitter have been arguing about it for days. As usual, Banjo's detractors are calling Banjo-Kazooie an "irrelevant" game that "no one really cares about" and is only popular with nostalgic Nintendo fanboys. Tekken fans in particular are saying that Kazuya has more reach because Tekken still gets games regularly and those games sell better than Banjo-Kazooie did back in the day. It's really bumming me out.

I wish people understood that Banjo-Kazooie is the Earthbound of 3D platformers. You know what I mean? It was a short-lived series, but it made a deep impression on the people who played it, and it's still being cited as an inspiration by developers today, especially in the indie scene. I feel comfortable calling BK the second most influential 3D platformer of all time, after Mario 64. Pretty much every 3D platforming IP from the last twenty years (Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, A Hat in Time, etc.) owes a huge debt to Banjo. Even Mario Sunshine was clearly inspired by BK! Banjo and Kazooie are worthy characters who deserve to be in Smash at least as much as Ness. Their games are few but their influence is far-reaching.

Anyway, sorry for the word vomit. I needed to vent a little.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So I taught my 2 year old kid who Banjo & Kazooie are using their Amiibo. Except he mostly just calls it "Kazooie." Idk maybe he likes how the name sounds more so than Banjo? He was running around saying "Kazooie, Kazooie, Kazooie!" Maybe he'll be one of the first people that calls them that instead of Banjo? Lol

He even plays with it WHILE watching me play as B&K in Smash. It's so precious. Warms my gamer heart... ❤

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I could be wrong, bears and birds, but I do believe our beloved backpacking buddies got some buffs this patch!
To be more specific, these are the changes the duo have this patch:
Up Tilt AttackExtended launch distance.
Side Smash AttackExtended launch distance.
Back Air AttackAdjusted launch angle and maintained launch distance.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Well it's about damn time, Even though I have managed just perfectly fine without any buffs. I certainly don't mind and welcome us finally getting some our way.

For a fighter who's moveset that apparently the hardcore Smash fanbase considers "Boring" and "Underwhelming", (They just don't know "The Way" of the bear & bird) I absolutely love the way they feel and handle and kick ass online with them so this is gravy.

I always felt that "Breegull Bash" (While still packs a good punch) should have been a little more powerful.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, at this stage, as the latest cycle comes to a close, I think the most logical next course of action (besides developing the B-K meta) would be to progressively gather up a movement for Conker and Rash, while most people are busy paying attention to Nick's own brawler, and wait and see what'll happen for the next Ninty console cycle after the demand is done.

As nice as it would be to get Gruntilda or Mumbo next, I honestly feel like it'd be more important to get the remaining two pillars of Rareware's big three first. Immortalizing those two seems crucial since they're also household names that are a significant part of Rare's history with Nintendo, warts and all.

In conclusion, I wasn't able to find the picture with a snow sculpture of Banjo, Rash and Conker, so have this funny drawing I found on DA instead.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
A new Conker game given like 2-3 years by a passionate team could be amazing. Conker is legitimately an untapped counterculture symbol. People that know Conker love Conker and people that don't know Conker can warm up to Conker if he's portrayed and crafted to a scenario that are both done intelligently. My guess into the ether would be Double Fine Studios getting their hands on it and potentially being able to do it well. If Psychonauts 2 does well and is well made then it'd be a perfect fit I think.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A new Conker game given like 2-3 years by a passionate team could be amazing. Conker is legitimately an untapped counterculture symbol. People that know Conker love Conker and people that don't know Conker can warm up to Conker if he's portrayed and crafted to a scenario that are both done intelligently. My guess into the ether would be Double Fine Studios getting their hands on it and potentially being able to do it well. If Psychonauts 2 does well and is well made then it'd be a perfect fit I think.
I propose a petition called "Operation Chocolate" in the style of Operation Rainfall, for two purposes: getting him in Smash, and/or persuade Microsoft to have Double Fine make a new game for him. As a matter of fact, I've brought it up on the Conker thread as well to help spread the word.

I would have said "Operation Chocolate Starfish", but that would be a tad inappropriate and taken the wrong way.

Last edited:

Baba

Smash Journeyman
This is totally random but I just remembered there were Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini spirits datamined years ago.
Did anything ever happen with those? Did any new information about them come out? It seems so weird. Banjo had such a small spirit board and I wonder if they initially intended to do a bunch of Rare spirits like Terry got with all his SNK ones.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Nope. It's more likely that devs planned for them not knowing they didn't own the rights to them everywhere and scrapped them, while bringing them up in negotiation with Microsoft would've meant also paying for the rights to them or awkwardly revealing they were going to put in Rare stuff they didn't own. So it was probably never brought up after being scrapped.

Top Bottom