• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

11th

Smash Apprentice
I think the problem right now is less "Do Spirits disconfirm characters?" and more "What is Nintendo planning to do with the DLC?" If we had an answer for the latter question, then we might be able to answer the former, but we don't have the answer yet. All we have is one example of a character pick from them (Corrin), but that was years ago. Nintendo could have completely different priorities now, or even a mix of them given that there will be five fighters. They also have the ballot results on hand, which were too late to be of much use for Smash for's DLC cycle. The only other thing we have to go off of at the moment is Mr. Sakurai's wording on Spirits and the upcoming DLC, which could just be us reading into things too much. (Not an uncommon occurrence in this fanbase.)

This is very much a "wait and see" situation.

Anyway, I quickly went through and found the source games for all of the art that the known Kirby Spirits use because I was bored.
  • Super Star: Dyna Blade, Poppy Bros. Jr., Waddle Doo
  • Star Stacker: Coo
  • Dream Land 3: Gooey*, Kine, Pitch**
    • *(Can't find the original, but the style matches his other DL3 art.)
    • **(Image of the Spirit hasn't shown up yet, only the name, but this is the only game it should be from.)
  • Super Star Stacker: Gryll
  • Nightmare in Dream Land: Kracko, Star Rod
  • Air Ride: Dragoon
  • Amazing Mirror: Dark Mind
  • Squeak Squad/Mouse Attack: Daroach
  • Mass Attack: Moley
  • Super Star Ultra: Bonkers, Gordo, Knuckle Joe, Marx?, Rocky, Waddle Dee, Whispy Woods
  • Epic Yarn: Prince Fluff
  • Return to Dream Land/Wii: Bandana Waddle Dee, Magolor
  • Planet Robobot: Susie, Robobot Armor
  • Star Allies: Three Mages

The following games currently have no known art present in Ultimate:
  • Dream Land
  • Adventure
  • Dream Land 2
  • 64: The Crystal Shards
  • Canvas Curse
  • Rainbow Curse
  • Triple Deluxe
...and a good number of the other side games.
Keep in mind that new Spirits are still popping up, so many of the larger gaps will probably be covered.
A lot of the older images only have low resolution versions online, so being able to rip higher quality, transparent versions from Ultimate will be nice.

KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 : According to the Smash Wiki, Captain Syrup does have a Spirit, though the image hasn't been uploaded yet.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
So... Bandana Dee is a Spirit...
That was certainly not what I wanted to wake up to, but in the back of my mind I sort of saw it coming.
Honestly, looking forward, I'm not entirely sure what to expect. Especially since it wasn't just Bandana Dee who was confirmed as a Spirit, but other fan-favorites like Elma and Rayman. Well, I'm still hoping for the best since being a Spirit may not necessarily be such a formidable barrier towards becoming an actual fighter, unlike Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I wish I was as positive as you guys, unfortunately, I can't help but see this as reaffirming what I already believed...
I always kinda figured Bandana Dee would be one of the unseen spirits, though I pushed it out of my mind.

So who do I expect as DLC now?
1. Dragon Quest
2. Steve
3. ???
4. FE 3 Houses
5. Pokemon Gen 8

??? can be anything. I doubt it's Katalina, but I guess that's always a possibility. Honestly, I would hate this DLC lineup. I would hate FE and Pokemon getting unwarranted reps that we wouldn't even get enough time to know. They aren't Nintendo all stars if they haven't had their game released yet. They did this with Corrin and I was kinda hoping they'd never do it again. Oh well...

Maybe I'm being a little pessimistic, but I've been burned before. I just wanna lessen it if it happens again.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I wish I was as positive as you guys, unfortunately, I can't help but see this as reaffirming what I already believed...
I always kinda figured Bandana Dee would be one of the unseen spirits, though I pushed it out of my mind.

1. Dragon Quest
2. Steve
3. ???
4. FE 3 Houses
5. Pokemon Gen 8

??? can be anything. I doubt it's Katalina, but I guess that's always a possibility. Honestly, I would hate this DLC lineup. I would hate FE and Pokemon getting unwarranted reps that we wouldn't even get enough time to know. They aren't Nintendo all stars if they haven't had their game released yet. They did this with Corrin and I was kinda hoping they'd never do it again. Oh well...

Maybe I'm being a little pessimistic, but I've been burned before. I just wanna lessen it if it happens again.
Katalina is confirmed to not be playable, but rather, to be featured in something else. I'm not sure if it's still Smash-Related, though.
Otherwise, those picks make sense if Nintendo was going about a promotional path with the DLC.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
My prediction for DLC:

1. Monster Hunter
2. Microsoft rep: Steve or Banjo
3. Erdrick/Loto (Dragon Quest)
4. Bandanna Dee
5. Dixie Kong

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Katalina is confirmed to not be playable, but rather, to be featured in something else. I'm not sure if it's still Smash-Related, though.
Otherwise, those picks make sense if Nintendo was going about a promotional path with the DLC.
Yeah, that's what I thought I remembered hearing. I guess it could be a Bandai Namco character. Still, a disappointing DLC lineup I must admit.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
So many popular characters have been confirmed as spirits now that if spirits can't be DLC, the DLC lineup is likely going to be very disappointing.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
...from what I've heard, Marx isn't a confirmed spirit yet...

To be honest, that'd line up with Sakurai preferring to rep Super Star. :ohwell:
He's also a VERY minor character. If Skull Kid didn't get in then I don't think Marx the infinitely less known character will.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

1. Dragon Quest
2. Steve
3. ???
4. FE 3 Houses
5. Pokemon Gen 8

I think it's gonna be the same thing, but I'm gonna say that Katalina is in there until further notice, since
Hitagi could just say what they said just to provide cover-up for their sources.
And that the DQ one is
Eldrick, since I remember Hitagi name-dropping him
Needless to say, the DLC looks like it's gonna suck, and it doesn't help that a good chunk of us know 4-5 of the characters within a few days of DLC being announced. I'm so sure about those 5 picks, I really think it's time for anyone else to just throw in the towel until either a ballot or next game (meaning after the Switch) come.

...from what I've heard, Marx isn't a confirmed spirit yet...

To be honest, that'd line up with Sakurai preferring to rep Super Star. :ohwell:
But wasn't Nintendo making the picks? But still, Marx stealing Bandana Dee's slot is extremely scary, considering we're probably going to have to wait 5-10 years for Bandana Dee to get his chance, and probably even more if Marx does get in, since Sakurai hates adding Kirby reps.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
He's also a VERY minor character. If Skull Kid didn't get in then I don't think Marx the infinitely less known character will.
Still, consider this. If Spirits do deconfirm, that means Chef Kawasaki, a character that was only ever (arguably even) important in the anime made it to assist trophy before Bandana Dee, and then Dee was left with the spirit scraps. Marx getting the spot before Dee isn't out of the realm of possibilities to me.

I think it's gonna be the same thing, but I'm gonna say that Katalina is in there until further notice, since
Hitagi could just say what they said just to provide cover-up for their sources.
And that the DQ one is
Eldrick, since I remember Hitagi name-dropping him
Needless to say, the DLC looks like it's gonna suck, and it doesn't help that a good chunk of us know 4-5 of the characters within a few days of DLC being announced. I'm so sure about those 5 picks, I really think it's time for anyone else to just throw in the towel until either a ballot or next game (meaning after the Switch) come.

But wasn't Nintendo making the picks? But still, Marx stealing Bandana Dee's slot is extremely scary, considering we're probably going to have to wait 5-10 years for Bandana Dee to get his chance, and probably even more if Marx does get in, since Sakurai hates adding Kirby reps.
Yeah, I agree with your DLC thoughts. Also, that is true, Nintendo is picking, not Sakurai. Maybe Sakurai would sway it in the favor of Marx if they did bring up Dee? Nah, I don't see him as the sort to do something like that...

SwitchButton

If Spirits do deconfirm, that means Chef Kawasaki, a character that was only ever (arguably even) important in the anime made it to assist trophy before Bandana Dee, and then Dee was left with the spirit scraps.
And he'd have made it to assist trophy before Marx as well

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
That is true, still I'm not very trusting of Dee's chances anymore. I still support him, 100%, but I don't think he'll be one of the DLC characters. I'm prepared for lackluster DLC this time around.
Yeah, honestly, I knew about the 3 Dream Friends beforehand and THOSE are more hype than the Smash DLC. That's how low my expectations are.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I still think Bandana Dee is a 100% chance. Spirits don't mean anything and never have.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its going to come down to Pirahna Plant, and whether it has a spirit or not. If Pirahna Plant lacks a spirit, it will become clear that they are deconfirmations. If it does have a spirit, then it means that they are not. To think, Pirahna Plant has the opportunity to chomp down on some dreams all over again. I guess this plant really craves tears as its water of choice.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Its going to come down to Pirahna Plant is being a spirit is a deconfirmation. If Pirahna Plant lacks a spirit, it will become clear that they are deconfirmations. If it does have a spirit, then it means that they are not. To think, Pirahna Plant has the opportunity to chomp down on some dreams all over again. I guess this plant really craves tears as its water of choice.
That's all we can hope for at this point

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Its going to come down to Pirahna Plant is being a spirit is a deconfirmation. If Pirahna Plant lacks a spirit, it will become clear that they are deconfirmations. If it does have a spirit, then it means that they are not. To think, Pirahna Plant has the opportunity to chomp down on some dreams all over again. I guess this plant really craves tears as its water of choice.
I still think that the DLC's gonna be all 3rd party and promotional, considering how Smash 4's DLC went. But for the record, I don't think Pirahna Plant's gonna be a spirit.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Its going to come down to Pirahna Plant, and whether it has a spirit or not. If Pirahna Plant lacks a spirit, it will become clear that they are deconfirmations. If it does have a spirit, then it means that they are not. To think, Pirahna Plant has the opportunity to chomp down on some dreams all over again. I guess this plant really craves tears as its water of choice.
Petey Piranha is already confirmed a spirit, and he's in PP's final smash. Spirits don't mean anything. We're probably going to see a plant spirit soon enough. We still haven't seen a Goomba spirit OR a Koopa spirit. I dunno if the 1000 spirits number came from somewhere, but that would mean we haven't even seen half of them if that's the total. No one is disconfirmed.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Ok seriously how can people view spirits as deconfirmation? They are literally confirmed to be less effort replacement for trophies. Nobody viewed trophies as deconfirmation so chill mates BD is still in this fight.

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
At this point, I absolutely refuse to accept spirits as deconfirmation since, if it is, then the entirety of the dlc pass will be nothing but promotional characters and third parties, and we all know how well that went back in the smash 4 days. On the plus side, Sakurai actually acknowledged Bandana Dee's existence, so I guess that's a step in the right direction, albeit, a small one.

Last edited:

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
Game isn't even out and I'm already dying to know the DLC line-up lmao. If spirits are a deconfirmation (which I doubt) then I'm just curious what first party characters they can add other than the promotional FE and Pokemon Gen 8.. I'd be lowkey disappointed if those were the only first party DLCs tbh lol. Smash has been promoting FE literally every possible chance they get since Melee.. and I'm not sure why pokemon needs to be promoted at all tbh lol. If anything, Pokemon should be the one promoting Smash :laugh: Hopefully Nintendo realizes there's more to promote than just those two series. My expectations may have lowered a bit, but I wouldn't count Bandana Dee (or any of the spirits) out just yet.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Here are my current thoughts:
- Spirits were made to compensate for characters who missed the base roster for Ultimate.
- Ultimate has currently gone gold, which theoretically means that Spirits were only made to compensate for the base roster for Ultimate.
- Some people may think that since Nintendo is picking the DLC, it spells more misfortune than if Sakurai chose DLC....
I disagree, but only in a sense.
If Sakurai was choosing the DLC, then I highly doubt that he would pick any characters that were made into Spirits. Since, like I said, Spirits were made to compensate for characters that didn't quite make the roster. Instead, Sakurai would shift towards characters who weren't included in Ultimate at all, since I highly doubt he would backtrack on his work if he himself practically set it in stone. You could argue that characters such as Lucas and Mewtwo were made into fighters after being displayed as trophies back in Smash 4, but I highly doubt that Spirits are supposed the function exactly like trophies. Spirits are much more than just collectables, since they even have their own designated Spirit Battles.
However, we now know that Nintendo is the one picking the fighters instead of Sakurai, and although Sakurai gets the final word, he said that fighters will be chosen based on if they have enough potential for a moveset. Unless he was hiding specific rules about what fighters can be chosen, this practically opens the floodgates to practically any character, regardless of his/her status in Smash (at least in my view). This could allow Sakurai to backtrack on certain characters and allow them playable status. All he needs to do is make a Fighter Spirit out of the character (since Fighter Spirits can return to the "real world"), and he doesn't need to remove the regular Spirit since there will be some form of differentiation between the two. (In Bandana Dee's case, they could just use a newer render of his character for his Fighter Spirit).

Although, in order for us to get lucky, Nintendo would have to request characters that have a large amount of popularity surrounding them, rather than promotional material. They could easily give us a mix of fanservice and promotional characters, but we'll just have to see.

TL;DR, with Nintendo picking the DLC characters we have a better chance of getting Dee, under certain conditions however, in comparision to if Sakurai was choosing DLC characters, at least in my view.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here are my current thoughts:
- Spirits were made to compensate for characters who missed the base roster for Ultimate.
- Ultimate has currently gone gold, which theoretically means that Spirits were only made to compensate for the base roster for Ultimate.
- Some people may think that since Nintendo is picking the DLC, it spells more misfortune than if Sakurai chose DLC....
I disagree, but only in a sense.
If Sakurai was choosing the DLC, then I highly doubt that he would pick any characters that were made into Spirits. Since, like I said, Spirits were made to compensate for characters that didn't quite make the roster. Instead, Sakurai would shift towards characters who weren't included in Ultimate at all, since I highly doubt he would backtrack on his work if he himself practically set it in stone. You could argue that characters such as Lucas and Mewtwo were made into fighters after being displayed as trophies back in Smash 4, but I highly doubt that Spirits are supposed the function exactly like trophies. Spirits are much more than just collectables, since they even have their own designated Spirit Battles.
However, we now know that Nintendo is the one picking the fighters instead of Sakurai, and although Sakurai gets the final word, he said that fighters will be chosen based on if they have enough potential for a moveset. Unless he was hiding specific rules about what fighters can be chosen, this practically opens the floodgates to practically any character, regardless of his/her status in Smash (at least in my view). This could allow Sakurai to backtrack on certain characters and allow them playable status. All he needs to do is make a Fighter Spirit out of the character (since Fighter Spirits can return to the "real world"), and he doesn't need to remove the regular Spirit since there will be some form of differentiation between the two. (In Bandana Dee's case, they could just use a newer render of his character for his Fighter Spirit).

Although, in order for us to get lucky, Nintendo would have to request characters that have a large amount of popularity surrounding them, rather than promotional material. They could easily give us a mix of fanservice and promotional characters, but we'll just have to see.

TL;DR, with Nintendo picking the DLC characters we have a better chance of getting Dee, under certain conditions however, in comparision to if Sakurai was choosing DLC characters, at least in my view.
Yeah, there's nothing that says Nintendo's selection limits itself to characters that aren't in the game in some form, there would mostly just be a bunch of random third parties otherwise, which would be more expensive than necessary.

Until then, most people should honestly stop visiting the board. All the Chicken Little train of thought is going to drive them crazy and depressed to the point that even a literal Goomba with a hat would be enough to make them rejoice. I think they forgot that there's other games to play in the meantime.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Lighten up a little guys, a Spirit doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things because if we're gonna consider every single one a disconfirmation, then that means over 700+ characters have been effectively disconfirmed because of JPEGs that show up as the first result on a Google Image search, that would leave a shallow pool for Nintendo to choose the selection and that's why I doubt them limiting them to just that, they're gonna want to push their biggest franchises as hard as they can.

Just remember, how everyone thought Trophies counted as disconfirmations for Smash 4 DLC, and look at where that got everyone thinking like that. :4mewtwo::4lucas:

If anything this kinda bodes well for us since it shows Sakurai is aware that Bandana Dee exists and he's finally acknowledged in a Smash Bros title, so I encourage you all not to lose hope over such a little thing, keep on Deeleieving.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, reflecting on things... I still don't like our chances everyone. Let's say that spirits don't deconfirm, that means Bandana Dee has a lot more competition now.

Geno
Dixie
Bandana Dee
Elma
Rayman
Shantae
Paper Mario
Tails

All characters that have merits of getting in, also being spirits (assuming the Geno player icon means he has a spirit). I would like to see some of them, but not as much as Dee. But honestly, that's a lot of competition, and that's not accounting for SE character (which could or couldn't be Geno), Steve, FE3Houses, or Gen8. There might even be more spirits that could easily be in that I'm not seeing...

I don't think things look so good, and I'm also worried about our chances in the next Smash game, which is years down the road, if it does cut the roster way back like anticipated... Any calming words you guys?

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
So, reflecting on things... I still don't like our chances everyone. Let's say that spirits don't deconfirm, that means Bandana Dee has a lot more competition now.

Geno
Dixie
Bandana Dee
Elma
Rayman
Shantae
Paper Mario
Tails

All characters that have merits of getting in, also being spirits (assuming the Geno player icon means he has a spirit). I would like to see some of them, but not as much as Dee. But honestly, that's a lot of competition, and that's not accounting for SE character (which could or couldn't be Geno), Steve, FE3Houses, or Gen8. There might even be more spirits that could easily be in that I'm not seeing...

I don't think things look so good, and I'm also worried about our chances in the next Smash game, which is years down the road, if it does cut the roster way back like anticipated... Any calming words you guys?
As cheesy as it may sound, I feel that we should all keep Deelieving.
I'd like to think of Ultimate's DLC as a clean slate for practically anyone to join the battle.
Of course, with practically anyone in the running and few slots available, the fighter picks for DLC will certainly be interesting, rumors aside.
I think that our little guy has a good shot, though.
Appeal is the key word in my view, and Bandana Dee, along with Kirby in general have a lot of appeal, especially in the place that, at least I believe matters most, being Japan.
While it quite unknown what Nintendo is looking for regarding DLC characters, if they're looking for an appealing 1st party character, I bet that they'd know where to look.

Just hang in there for the time being, we haven't lost yet.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

Geno
Dixie
Bandana Dee
Elma
Rayman
Shantae
Paper Mario
Tails

Nope. Just this:

But seriously, I hope they just build off of Ultimate for Smash 6/7 so they can focus on adding new content while cutting as little as possible, because pretty much NO ONE wants a smaller roster, not only in terms of veterans, but in general. Knowing my luck, tho, there are going to be a TON of cuts from Ultimate to 6/7, so my pessimism stands.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nope. Just this:

But seriously, I hope they just build off of Ultimate for Smash 6/7 so they can focus on adding new content while cutting as little as possible, because pretty much NO ONE wants a smaller roster, not only in terms of veterans, but in general. Knowing my luck, tho, there are going to be a TON of cuts from Ultimate to 6/7, so my pessimism stands.
I’d actually love for there to be quite a few cuts, if it means we can get stuff like more new characters, stages, and the return of missing modes and trophies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Geno
Dixie
Bandana Dee
Elma
Rayman
Shantae
Paper Mario
Tails

I think we can knock Geno, Dixie (Unfortunately), Rayman, Shantae (Also unfortunately), and Tails off the list of we’re talking characters Nintendo would want to market (I only knocked Dixie off cause she’s Echo-fodder and we know we aren’t getting anymore Echoes) so it still isn’t that much competition, it’s really just Elma and Paper Mario.

Honestly let’s not look at our competition guys, let’s look at this from our perspective and how we can help the cause.

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Welp, I don't post often, mostly just ghost, but I feel like sharing my opinion on the Spirits.

And the sheer fact that, at every event, employees have stressed that there are TONS of them. Considering just how dang many there (apparently) are, and just how many characters they'd put out of the question if spirits really do disconfirm a character, then Nintendo would have so few options for DLC that it would have to be mostly 3rd parties.

And even then, considering how many companies that are close to Nintendo have already gotten their biggest characters in as Spirits (Rayman for Ubisoft, Shantae for Wayforward, Geno for SquareEnix, also gonna call that, cuz we have Rathalos as a boss/Assist Trophy, there's probably Monster Hunter spirits too) that'd only leave companies that directly rival/have very few connections to Nintendo for DLC slots, which considering Nintendo picked out the DLC and not Sakurai, it's pretty safe to assume that these companies probably won't get approached by the Smash Team for that lack of connection between their companies.

I think what I'm trying to say with all my rambling is that, if spirits deconfirm characters, there would be so ridiculously few options for DLC that Nintendo would realistically pick that, well, they really just can't....

At least that's my 2 cents on this topic.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That guy's a troll. Look at his post history.

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Bandana Dee sucks

generic goomba in a hat.
If he was the terrible, bland, generic character you make him out to be, would he be one of the most wanted characters in the fanbase?

Look, you are probably a troll, but, just in case you aren't, go look at the first page of this thread, it explains the support pretty well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom