• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, Kumazaki is going to keep making sequels that practically scream "NOTICE ME SENPAI!" as he continues to include Smash references in them.

In any case, it'll only be a matter of time before Waddle Dee fans in Japan get increasingly anxious about this issue. And that's if Sak used all his willpower to pass over a possible DLC suggestion for him.

I can't help but wonder though...since other Kirby characters weren't made by him, does he think he wouldn't be able to do them justice? If so, that'd be unfounded, seeing how on-point :ultridley:and :ultkrool:are characterisation-wise.

Also, if the issue stems from whatever it is that HAL did to him during Air Ride's development, it's really pointless to keep this grudge. Either that, or his feelings on sequelization in the game industry.

More than anything though, does anyone else find it weird how none of the people who interviewed him brought up anything about other Kirby characters? Are they too polite to confront him about the elephant in the room?

And at least Marx isn't playable.

I wouldn't go that far. Bandana Dee at least has his foot in the door with a spirit. Good luck for Shrek or Goku ever getting that.

Unless we're talkin' Dragon Quest, which has the same art direction as Dragon Ball, then yeah, there's some competition there.

The more I think about it, the more I could potentially see a Wave 2 for DLC. Something along the lines of Nintendo ending Wave 1 with all third parties and saying something like this:

"Thank you everyone who's stuck by and supported the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC fighters. We're glad you're all excited for these new characters. But some of you might be wondering where some of your favorite Nintendo characters are? Well, that's where Season 2 comes in. That's right, we're still not done with DLC. This time, the fighters will all be from existing Nintendo franchises, characters who missed their chance due to time constraints, ones that we would've liked to have added, but just didn't get the chance!"

From there, I don't know how it'd go. 5 more like season 1? I'd assume Rex's chances would increase with that, but assists would probably still remain assists, if only for what's been said about them in the past. Clearly, Dee should be one of these theoretical 5.
There could also be miscellaneous DLC of some sort, although I doubt there's any particular Kirby character they'd go with for that.

I'll be honest, I prefer Super Star Ultra to Super Star anyways. How could I not, it's essentially the superior version. :laugh:
I mean, he does reference it nowadays. :ultkingdedede:

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
More than anything though, does anyone else find it weird how none of the people who interviewed him brought up anything about other Kirby characters? Are they too polite to confront him about the elephant in the room?
I guess it's been saved for another topic. Sakurai discussed that he wasn't biased towards Kirby in World of Light, and I guess the BS amount of backlash he got in the first place meant enough Kirby talk for while for him. But this is purely speculation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I guess it's been saved for another topic. Sakurai discussed that he wasn't biased towards Kirby in World of Light, and I guess the BS amount of backlash he got in the first place meant enough Kirby talk for while for him. But this is purely speculation.
True there. One thing for sure is, the poor bloke won't escape bias accusations (regardless whether he gives Kirby more or less attention) as long as he is convinced to remain in the director's chair. Hell, even the Japanese language itself works against him now in this regard. In any case, they'll eventually run out of sensical major characters and have to get back to Kirby at some point, especially if they're deadset on leaving Zelda with what it has.

And if Sakurai really does retire after this...they better not assume he'll do the next game behind his back like with Brawl. That was a bit underhanded.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
True there. One thing for sure is, the poor bloke won't escape bias accusations (regardless whether he gives Kirby more or less attention) as long as he is convinced to remain in the director's chair. Hell, even the Japanese language itself works against him now in this regard. In any case, they'll eventually run out of sensical major characters and have to get back to Kirby at some point, especially if they're deadset on leaving Zelda with what it has.

And if Sakurai really does retire after this...they better not assume he'll do the next game behind his back like with Brawl. That was a bit underhanded.
At least Brawl finally recognized Kirby more. You have to give them that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At least Brawl finally recognized Kirby more. You have to give them that.
Yup. You can imagine how happy I was when the king was in at last.

Ah well I'm not mad, as long as there's more cool characters coming in the meantime. To hell with worrying over silly leak theories. I just want this Direct so people can have something to talk about without going in circles. Still don't have a Switch, after all.

Also, friend or not, no offense Iwata sir, but you could have asked first.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yup. You can imagine how happy I was when the king was in at last.

Ah well I'm not mad, as long as there's more cool characters coming in the meantime. To hell with worrying over silly leak theories. I just want this Direct so people can have something to talk about without going in circles. Still don't have a Switch, after all.

Also, friend or not, no offense Iwata sir, but you could have asked first.
Right, about those direct rumors. If it's true we're getting a direct sometime soon, any predictions for Kirby (other than KEEY)?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Right, about those direct rumors. If it's true we're getting a direct sometime soon, any predictions for Kirby (other than KEEY)?
A Rainbow Curse port, I guess? Otherwise it'll be stuck on Wii U.

Also, my mandatory want for Super Mario 3D World.

That aside, I figure we'll get it early next month on its first week.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
A Rainbow Curse port, I guess? Otherwise it'll be stuck on Wii U.

Also, my mandatory want for Super Mario 3D World.

That aside, I figure we'll get it early next month on its first week.
I don't think we'll get any ports that used the Wii U touchscreen, which makes me sad since it feels like Mario Maker and Game & Wario are out of the question. Another port seems likely and I'm not discounting the possibility of getting a sneak peak of new developments like what we got at E3 2017. Thoughts?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think we'll get any ports that used the Wii U touchscreen, which makes me sad since it feels like Mario Maker and Game & Wario are out of the question. Another port seems likely and I'm not discounting the possibility of getting a sneak peak of new developments like what we got at E3 2017. Thoughts?
Star Fox Zero could be workable, since that only used gyro, and SF643D had that as an optional scheme, so they could work around that (unless they'll avoid the whole game like a dumpster fire). Honestly not sure if W101 will get a port, but you never know, since Platinum are working on a few projects other than Bayonetta 3 right now.

I doubt we'll get to see anything new for Metroid Prime 4, since I figure they'd save that for E3. Same for a Donkey Kong sequel, but I wouldn't mind being wrong.

Though I am glad that WarioWare Gold salvaged Gamer, at least.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Star Fox Zero could be workable, since that only used gyro, and SF643D had that as an optional scheme, so they could work around that (unless they'll avoid the whole game like a dumpster fire). Honestly not sure if W101 will get a port, but you never know, since Platinum are working on a few projects other than Bayonetta 3 right now.

I doubt we'll get to see anything new for Metroid Prime 4, since I figure they'd save that for E3. Same for a Donkey Kong sequel, but I wouldn't mind being wrong.

Though I am glad that WarioWare Gold salvaged Gamer, at least.
Metroid Prime 4 is gonna have to happen sometime this year unless Nintendo wants to pull a Kingdom hearts 3 on us.

A DK sequel also seems likely, under the assumption that Nintendo did something behind the scenes and gave us a port to keep us patient.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
The two I'd like to see most ported are Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE but I really doubt either of them make the jump.

s07195

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4502 0980 9128
I think that rather than "addressing the elephant in the room", the press are simply sensible enough to focus on what's been added instead of sounding like they're whining like fanboys.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey, this is one reeeeaaaaallllly crazy stretch but uh

What if

Brave

Is Bandana Dee?

1548263819902.png

No seriously, he’d at least fit the bill for being short, and Dee could be floaty...

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

What if

Brave

Is Bandana Dee?

View attachment 188057
No seriously, he’d at least fit the bill for being short, and Dee could be floaty...
You know now that I think about it one of the other people who is so slippery is Dedede of all people, so BWD sliding could be connected to that. The zoner aspect is kinda weird for BWD though but if he threw his spear a lot or had other powers like beam or parasol that could explain it.

I think the height is almost the biggest thing going against him since he would probably be Kirby's size not Lucas'.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If Kirby were to get a mobile game to advertises the sires what would it be like?
Kirby Warriors deluxe mobile edition by EA with no microtransactions we guarantee remastered featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series with New Funky Mode the prequel to the prequel of Big Chungi deluxe

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

What if

Brave

Is Bandana Dee?

View attachment 188057
The other thing is, IIRC they said Brave doesn’t have a rapid jab? They theoretically could design Dee without a rapid jab (SSF2 did that for their moveset for him) but it seems more likely than not that he’d have a rapid jab.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Kirby Warriors deluxe mobile edition by EA with no microtransactions we guarantee remastered featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series with New Funky Mode the prequel to the prequel of Big Chungi deluxe
& Knuckles excuse u :troll:

The other thing is, IIRC they said Brave doesn’t have a rapid jab? They theoretically could design Dee without a rapid jab (SSF2 did that for their moveset for him) but it seems more likely than not that he’d have a rapid jab.
Is that so...? Yeah, I can’t imagine Dee without a rapid jab

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Who is Brave?
Brave is the code name for the next DLC character according to the data that dataminers found in Smash. We have most of the data and the codename which gives us a little something to work with for guessing who the next DLC character will be.

Dbombiallo

Smash Cadet
Nah I feel that Bandee would almost the same as Kirby and the stats that brave has don't reflect that.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Nah I feel that Bandee would almost the same as Kirby and the stats that brave has don't reflect that.
I actually think I'd put him somewhere in between Dedede and Kirby, not quite as light and floaty as Kriby with a little more oomf behind his attacks. Maybe throw in some Meta Knight with quicker attacks but not as quick in exchange for more range and power.

Good gap closer probably in exchange for not being as quick on the ground. I'd probably only give him the one javelin throw for a ranged attack and the range wouldn't be great.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, I had a thought earlier today...

Captain Vul doesn't even show up as a spirit! Someone in the staff didn't even bother to play Revenge of Meta Knight.

& Knuckles excuse u :troll:
With Waluigi's Taco Stand.

If Kirby were to get a mobile game to advertises the sires what would it be like?
Gourmet Race Run. It's like Gourmet Race, but you never stop running!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
TBH it doesn't sound like "Brave" could be BWD, but that's one fighter, people. Any of the other three slots could be him.

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
So here's a little thought. What would the Smash series be like if Kumazaki took Sakurai's place as the director for the next Smash game? I think it would potentially be better since Kumazaki likely doesn't have the annoying criteria barriers Sakurai is infamous for setting up (Ridley=too big) and he also wouldn't show bias for certain portions of franchises (Classic Kirby over Modern Kirby) as he has been shown to acknowledge every nook and cranny from the Kirby series, including the games he didn't direct. I'm just worried he would have a slight bias for the Kirby series and end up oversaturating it, but I don't think he would ever do that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So here's a little thought. What would the Smash series be like if Kumazaki took Sakurai's place as the director for the next Smash game? I think it would potentially be better since Kumazaki likely doesn't have the annoying criteria barriers Sakurai is infamous for setting up (Ridley=too big) and he also wouldn't show bias for certain portions of franchises (Classic Kirby over Modern Kirby) as he has been shown to acknowledge every nook and cranny from the Kirby series, including the games he didn't direct. I'm just worried he would have a slight bias for the Kirby series and end up oversaturating it, but I don't think he would ever do that.
With how fanservice-focused Star Allies ended up being, I fear that I might be projecting all my hopes and dreams on that hypothetical scenario.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I hope Sakurai takes a break but not for that reason. The man has worked on Smash for 20 years, he should get some rest. But yeah that sounds awesome!

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I hope Sakurai takes a break but not for that reason. The man has worked on Smash for 20 years, he should get some rest. But yeah that sounds awesome!
Everyone says that but unless he's retiring (which I don't find likely) or has some passion project he really wants to do (probably pretty likely) it's not like he isn't going to be working. Obviously he can (and should) take a vacation but that shouldn't require them to find a new director, just wait to start until he gets back.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Everyone says that but unless he's retiring (which I don't find likely) or has some passion project he really wants to do (probably pretty likely) it's not like he isn't going to be working. Obviously he can (and should) take a vacation but that shouldn't require them to find a new director, just wait to start until he gets back.
In that case we'll have to get through to him that we're done putting up with this BS. It's been over a decade since we saw decent and new Kirby content, I think we can all agree that whatever his reason is it doesn't matter anymore.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In that case we'll have to get through to him that we're done putting up with this BS. It's been over a decade since we saw decent and new Kirby content, I think we can all agree that whatever his reason is it doesn't matter anymore.
sakurai's bias is annoying but i cant fault him for it id probably do similar things in the same position

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
sakurai's bias is annoying but i cant fault him for it id probably do similar things in the same position
Probably me too. Maybe it makes him feel awkward? Or he's not biased and just completely oblivious to modern Kirby's popularity (I hope the latter is true).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'll be honest, I prefer Super Star Ultra to Super Star anyways. How could I not, it's essentially the superior version. :laugh:
A man of great taste. ;)

I prefer Ultra over the original as well. :)

Sounds like we need another Smash Ballot, huh?
Considering what happened last time.....I think we'd be better without one. Expressing our support for Dee should help enough, but if there is a ballot, I'll gladly campaign for him.
**** that makes me think how much more supported campaigns will be for characters if Smash Ballot 2 ends up happening. Everybody is going to try to play on the level of KrocTheVote like the K. Rool fans did including myself. It will certainly be more of a rumble than the last one because of there being more popular centenders. But I think it's more likely that they will just pick a couple of more characters from the first Smash Ballot and put them in as DLC in the Season Pass or the next if there is another one.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
**** that makes me think how much more supported campaigns will be for characters if Smash Ballot 2 ends up happening. Everybody is going to try to play on the level of KrocTheVote like the K. Rool fans did including myself. It will certainly be more of a rumble than the last one because of there being more popular centenders. But I think it's more likely that they will just pick a couple of more characters from the first Smash Ballot and put them in as DLC in the Season Pass or the next if there is another one.
I don't remember the ballot environment being too hectic but I know some people had their bad experiences. If there was a ballot 2 it would just be fans of a few select fanbases screaming at each other (hopefully not us) while everyone else has learned their lesson from the first ballot.

Top Bottom